ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment news.

RVA Sports Network
@TheRVASportsNet

News: #Dinwiddie and #PrinceGeorge County Schools have filed objections to the appeal from @ccpsinfo asking that all ten of their high schools be placed in one district.

If Chesterfield's request is met then I see something the districts south of the river shaking out like this...

Chesterfield is requesting a district to themselves, not a division.

In theory...
New Dominion District
Clover Hill
Cosby
James River
LC Bird
Manchester
Matoaca
Meadowbrook
Midlothian
Monacan
Thomas Dale

New Central District
Colonial Heights
Dinwiddie
George Wythe
Hopewell
Huguenot
Petersburg
Powhatan
Prince George
I see a similar makeup... although I am curious if Powhatan would prefer to return to the Jefferson or Southside District than have to travel to the the tri-cities.

What I'm interested to see as well is if this is approved, does Henrico ultimately look to form their own district...

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Expect a press release on Monday or Tuesday.

They are still working on a few appeals that required extra time and information to evaluate fairly. The goal is to wrap things up asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPJr and 17Bluebird
Here's hoping LCA is allowed to stay in Class 3. They have no business playing lower than 3. I'm pretty certain that Liberty-Bedford will get moved to the Dogwood (making it an 8-team district in most sports - Galileo is a member but doesn't have football, baseball, basketball, softball, or volleyball)

Here's hoping LCA is allowed to stay in Class 3. They have no business playing lower than 3. I'm pretty certain that Liberty-Bedford will get moved to the Dogwood (making it an 8-team district in most sports - Galileo is a member but doesn't have football, baseball, basketball, softball, or volleyball)
You don’t think that a LCA versus Riverhead game would be good?!

Danny Lewis @CRF4Dan

Over the weekend someone said we would hear something yesterday or today. I know Sean Robertson at WTVR6 posted this morning that sources told him the Chesterfield District did not win approval. it was voted down 5-0 in a meeting earlier on Monday.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Danny Lewis @CRF4Dan

Over the weekend someone said we would hear something yesterday or today. I know Sean Robertson at WTVR6 posted this morning that sources told him the Chesterfield District did not win approval. it was voted down 5-0 in a meeting earlier on Monday.
I would like to hear “thoughtful” reasons for and against the formation of a pure Chesterfield District.

I have a strong opinion, but I would like to hear other’s opinions.

I personally think that the only reason the Chesterfield schools play certain teams in that they are in the district and would not even schedule them if they weren't - so I see the decision as a victory for inclusion.

First, let me say this. You must remember to look at the repercussions in the big picture; in the entirety of the full spectrum of school activities. Not just football. If it was just about football, I doubt that there would be much interest or concern about the situation.

Let me also say that Chesterfield having their own autonomous district makes perfectly good sense…, for Chesterfield. But is it worth the price that would be paid by the affected two districts, the Central and the Dominion.

Remember, take football completely out of the picture for simplification.
The district, which is only a shadow of its previous importance in most areas, is still the primary vehicle to schedule all activities. And because the districts were originally formed as an alliance of closely located schools, scheduling involves convenient, shorter travel distances.

If nearly half of the members of these two districts suddenly are no longer available for the needs of scheduling, imagine the enormous difficulty in finding suitable opponents. You would have to range far and wide to find schools that would want to schedule you. What once was a short ride back on the bus on a school night, now becomes a dreaded trip. Instead of cheerleaders, basketball players, etc. getting home by 9:30 or 10:00, it becomes 11:00, 12:00, or later.

Another detriment is the loss of the benefit of decades long relationships. Sure the people change as the years go by, but established cooperation goes a long way toward making everything workout. Because there is some degree of shared commonality, even when there are philosophical differences, it’s usually easier to work through problems. Much of this would be lost when these districts find themselves splintered.

Are the reasons that Chesterfield wants to be its own district worth the justification that causes serious hardship to so many area schools? Is this what is really in the best interest in the kids entrusted to our care? I personally think not.

Chesterfield is kinda wack. Richmond area’s wannabe Fairfax. Not surprised they floated this awful idea. It doesn’t even really benefit them IMO. There are plenty of non-district opponents available within their own school division under the current setup, which is good for scheduling! This smells like the county leadership wanting to be able to do whatever they want sports-wise, which would work if it’s only their schools within the district.

Reactions: Scalvinscaliwag
I still feel that the Richmond area has more than enough schools to make a new district and put it in the same region as the Battlefield and Bay Rivers district. Its would benefit all schools involve and reduce the mis matches that are happening because schools are playing other schools with twice the enrollment.

Per VHSL... Richmond Region's Deep Run & Glen Allen were denied move down to 5C beginning next season and will in fact be 6A.

Sherando gets to stay in Class 4, but hapless Mountain View has to stay in Class 2 instead of moving to Class 1.

Matoaca and Maggie Walker won their appeals and will be playing up. Matoaca to 5C and Walker to 3B.

Sounds like Sherando's numbers may have included the non-permanent students like last time, based off the quote in the article.

C1 board stated that Riverheads lost and will move to

Yeah, they are non-permanent because they jettison them quickly whenever they go over the 5A threshold.
Looks like they have been placed in region 4D. Sherando, Millbrook, James Wood and John Handley should all be in region C. Looking at 4 hr drives to Danville and Halifax Co

Press release will be tomorrow.
Yeah, they are non-permanent because they jettison them quickly whenever they go over the 5A threshold.
I was told it’s all the handicapped kids come from Millbrook and James Wood and get taught at Sherando and then get bused back to the respective Schools they are supposed to attend .I don’t see why those kids should be counted as Sherando students . I guess the VHSL thought that also.

Reactions: Shruikan
September 7 Deadline to notify the VHSL office of intent to appeal.

The Executive Committee’s review of an appeal shall be limited to an evaluation of the written record of the original appeal as published in the appendix of the Recommended Alignment Plan. The Executive Committee shall then issue its decision in response to all such appeals as amendments to its final motion to approve the formal alignment plan. The VHSL’s Executive Director shall inform each appellant school of the Executive Committee’s decision. The decision of the Executive Committee shall be final.

September 21 Executive Committee determines final alignment plan – 2023 - 2027

I was told it’s all the handicapped kids come from Millbrook and James Wood and get taught at Sherando and then get bused back to the respective Schools they are supposed to attend .I don’t see why those kids should be counted as Sherando students . I guess the VHSL thought that also.
Mountain View has the same issue and they were told to kick rocks.

I would like to give a big shout out to the 2 Central District Schools and the one Dominion District school that took the time to oppose Chesterfield’s efforts to do irreparable harm to two quality districts, for the conceited purposes of simply saying they were their own district. But, I do have a question. Where in the hell were the rest of the district representatives that stood to loose so much???

I would like to give a big shout out to the 2 Central District Schools and the one Dominion District school that took the time to oppose Chesterfield’s efforts to do irreparable harm to two quality districts, for the conceited purposes of simply saying they were their own district. But, I do have a question. Where in the hell were the rest of the district representatives that stood to loose so much???
ya kno'

Mountain View has the same issue and they were told to kick rocks.
I am not familiar with the Mountrain view situation, however if they have special needs kids being shipped in from other schools because they have the facility and the teachers to teach them , then they should absolutely have gotten the relief they deserved. I would be willing to bet the situation was a little different . Show me!

I am not familiar with the Mountrain view situation, however if they have special needs kids being shipped in from other schools because they have the facility and the teachers to teach them , then they should absolutely have gotten the relief they deserved. I would be willing to bet the situation was a little different . Show me!
Right here, big boy.

You did not provide any proof on Sherando. And the Winchester Star article cites an entirely different reason than what you are blathering on about on here.

And here is the story that says that Sherando's appeal was for an entirely different reason.

Maybe check your own facts before challenging others.

Didn’t realize I had challenged anybody , all I asked was for you to tell me about the Mountain View Situation. I was just curious about learning about it. You didn’t do that. I , you challenge me with a inappropriate statement . I am not sure what your grievance is with Sherando or me , however the article you posted seems to validate the reasoning for the aproved appeal . Regardless of what I was told , the reasoning for the appeal was validated . I don’t care enough to check facts for what somebody was telling me. I was just sharing info I had been told. Obviously , you care way to much . I suggest you take it up with Sherando .

Right here, big boy.

You did not provide any proof on Sherando. And the Winchester Star article cites an entirely different reason than what you are blathering on about on here.
Why would you be so disrespectful , calling me big boy?

This might be the difference -
“Included in Mountain View's appeal was that they have some students who are officially enrolled at Mountain View but do not actually attend there”
could it be that these students live in the Mountain View area - however have chosen to do online classes etc..?
The difference being - The students Sherando are referring to are Students that live another schools area, which would mean they wouldn’t be counted as Sherando students because they actually live in other areas of the County .
Mountain View didn’t say they were from other schools, they just said they didn’t attend the school. I think that’s the difference .

Saying Show Me with the exclamation point is being confrontational. And everything you said about Sherando turned out to be incorrect, and not part of their appeal. I do see what you are saying about Mountain View now. But here is my question. Sherando has a lot of very smart people over there. Are we really supposed to believe, by their own admission, they they miscounted their own numbers in 2016 and again recently?

Reactions: OCBoy
I wasn’t being confrontational at all, what is confrontational is that every time there is a realignment, people think that Sherando is somehow trying to cheat or something. Especially , when there are 20 other appeals also that nobody is questioning about or making accusations.
Now I don’t work at the school , and in recent times I am not even as close to being around the school on a regular basis any more. However , I am very close friends with the highest administration of Sherando in another informal setting away from the school. These people have superior integrity , and in my belief they would never cheat or purposely miscount students.
Now, I might be able to find out, however I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and won’t be around for a couple of weeks. So , I won’t see them Soon.
But to me here is the question- Do we even know if it Sherando people that are turning in these numbers? Do they just turn these in or are they pulled from a database by VHSL? How is the VHSL getting these figures? I don’t know how the process is started. It would hard for me to believe that the VHSL would just send out a form to each school and tell us how many kids you have. Perhaps, somebody can answer.
Also, it is hard for me to believe that during the appeal process that if the numbers were not correct, that they would win the appeal. Doubt the VHSL is going to see Sherando in any different light than any other school in Virginia. So, whatever happens in that appeal process must be validated and approved because it is legit .
It is true , Sherando is close to the dividing line between between 4A and 5A. It is beneficial for the school to stay in 4A if possible for many reasons , including travel logistics for all sports. So I would imagine once these original numbers get to the VHSL, they want to sit down a review them to make sure they are accurate.
I have nothing to gain or lose when it comes to Sherando . I am getting older and have bigger fish to fry these days. But, it is a fact what I was told about these extra children that are being shipped over to the school and it was part of the equation. I am even close with the bus driver that drives that specific bus. Was there other factors that factored into the student population equation that I don’t know , perhaps so. Or most likely .
Lastly , I assure you, I wouldn’t just randomly post something on here that I didn’t believe to be true. If I was told something , it was told to me. If I don’t know about it , I just won’t say anything.
Have a great day and best wishes to Skyline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT