ADVERTISEMENT

Region 3D Playoffs

If I lived closer, I’d go to that CS/Tunstall game. It’ll be almost impossible to get a ticket unless you’re a Tunstall fan.

Northside punches their ticket to the VHSL Class 3 Basketball Tournament with an 82-50 win over Abingdon. Northside will host the Region 3D Championship Game on Saturday at 6 vs. the winner of Cave Spring & Tunstall

Boy's Basketball

Cave Spring 70 Tunstall 58

Final

Sets up another showdown between reigning Class 3 State Champ Cave Spring and undefeated Northside. Both are headed back to the State Playoffs and will hook up for the Region 3D crown.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntGZee
Tunstall, Dan River, Chatham and Gretna all were built around the same time with the same floor plans. The gyms are all the same except for the different school colors. To small for regional games.

The gym is really small. Probably holds about 750 max. Tunstall has fudged some “sell outs” to keep the opponent fans away but it was really packed tonight. They turned back reporters and it was the first time in the 32 year history of the Haley Toyota Game of the Week that they were restricted access.

Region 3B has a rule for size of gym, but that might just be for the championship game. William Monroe had to "host" at Orange County last year.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Pittsylvania County needs to have a bigger gym built in the county for this reason alone. I hated that when the original renovations plans back in the later 2000s were shot down, it was supposed to expand the gym and have an auxillary gym.

A centrally located gym that could hold bigger games and/or even an indoor track would be great. I wish we could use Averett's gym - we use it for high school graduation.

Reactions: tommythecpa
They put the wrong score - wrote 78-58. (it was was 70-58). My dad got to go to the game, but I watched on the NFHS Network. Cave Spring went backdoor on Tunstall a lot. Edmunds had a solid game for Tunstall.

Dylan Saunders led the Knights in points with 26 points, while Stark Jones followed up with 14. Knights did a great job of boxing out the Trojans. For the Trojans, Jamarcus Brown led his squad with 16 points. Jailyn Edmunds and Kobe Morrison each contributed 11 points.

Here's the article from Brian Cendejas:

Yes just like this weekend games hopewell/petersburg and lake Taylor/Lafayette are being played at the Norfolk scope which holds around 9 or 10 thousand people if I'm not mistaken.
That's a great experience for kids who have only played in small high school gyms....not to mention the atmosphere.

Region 3D Championship: Cave Spring leads Northside 20-11 after the 1st quarter

26-0 Vikings on alert, down 10 at half in the Region 3D final against Cave Spring

Boy's Basketball Cave Spring. 40 Northside. 30 Halftime

Reactions: blackknight_pride
These two teams are really good - Cave Spring can't seem to miss a shot!

NS forced to foul

Knights hit both FTs

65-60 CS with 3 seconds left

Cave Spring hands Northside loss number 1, 65-60 is the final.

I look for them to meet again in state semis.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
It would be nice if Carroll County played then Cave Spring right after them. Roanoke College or Salem Civic Center. It would be even better if they had both games at the Berglund Center.

Cave Spring's point guard (Lilley) was CLUTCH on the evening - hit 6 3-pointers!
Cave Spring 65, Northside 60

Cave Spring (22-5)
Lilley 20, Bryant 8, Jones 6, Tinsley 8, Saunders 23.
Northside (26-1)
Anthony 15, Cole 11, Hardy 12, Smith 2, Via 3, Harvey 14, Logan 3.
Cave Spring 20 20 9 16 — 65
Northside 11 19 14 16 — 60

3-point goals: Cave Spring 10 (Lilley 6, Bryant 2, Saunders 2), Northside 7 (Anthony 2, Hardy, Via, Harvey 2, Logan).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT