ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4B Boys Basketball Power Ratings (through 2/7/18)

CarolineCav99

VaPreps Rookie
Mar 25, 2002
Fredericksburg, VA
These are the updated power point standings for boys basketball in Class 4A Region B through 2/7/18’s games. This was passed along to me by a district AD.

1. Louisa (19-2) 6.38
2. Caroline (16-3) 5.95
3. Huguenot (12-6) 4.83
4. Monacan (12-7) 4.74
5. Dinwiddie (11-8) 4.26
6. Courtland (12-9) 4.19
7. Midlothian (10-10) 3.80
8. Eastern View (10-9) 3.68
9. Patrick Henry-Ashland (6-15) 2.52
10. Chancellor (6-14) 2.40
11. Powhatan (5-17) 1.68
12. King George (4-17) 1.52
13. Hanover (1-18) 0.89

The way the points system works, a team gets seven points for every game they win (regardless of if it’s against a bigger school, smaller school, public school or private school). The only time a team does not get points for a win is if it’s against an out-of-state team, in which case it doesn’t count at all toward their point total or total number of games played (a good example here would be Caroline, which has an out-of-state win against Chopticon (MD) and an overall record of 17-3 this season, yet they are only credited as 16-3 in the power point rankings above).

In addition, if a 4A team loses a game against a Class 5A school, then it gets one power point for scheduling/playing above its class. If a 4A team loses to a 6A team, then it gets two power points for that.

In the end, the seven points a team accrues for every in-state game it wins is added to the points it gets for losing to bigger schools. The total number of points is then divided by the total number of games the team has played, giving them a power point rating.

Any of the teams in this bracket can upset each other easily. Don’t be surprised to see Louisa or Caroline out of it by the semifinals

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
If Louisa plays defense like they have the last couple of weeks, it'll take extremely hot shooting to beat them. Charlottesville ran into a buzzsaw tonight. Louisa 76-46.

Yes they did. This Louisa team is on a roll right now. Tomorrow’s game at Weatern against Albemarle should be another good game between these two squads. Louisa’s defense is solid, but man they have lots of weapons offensively. Their bench may be filled with starters at other schools.

I've also heard that district tournament winners will earn top seeds? Any idea?
I was told by a reliable source tonight that there is some truth to this. I don’t have all the specifics yet, but it’s my understanding that teams winning their district tournaments will be seeded higher than those who do not, even regular season champions.

Will post more in detail when I get more specifics.

I expected that. Louisa would’ve had the No.1 Seed but got snubbed in the Jefferson District Championship Game. Good luck to you guys.

Call me crazy but that Midlothian team won’t be an easy out. They’re undersized but they are solid, fundamental and can shoot it.

Midlo is by no means a push over. They can beat you on any given night. Same with Huguenot and Monacan for that matter. I don't think any of them have enough to go all the way (to win a state title) but they are quality ball clubs and will be in contention for regionals but not the odds on favorite

Reactions: OCBoy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT