ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4B This Fall

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Change comes to Region 4B this fall. Louisa is exiting the region and Atlee, Henrico, Matoaca and Varina enter the region.

So who are our playoff participants next year?

Got to be honest, don't know a ton bout Chancellor, Courtland and Spotsylvania.

I got to believe Dinwiddie, Eastern View, Hanover, King George, Monacan, Patrick Henry, Powhatan and Varina will be in the thick of the playoff race.

1-6 in no particular order:
Varina
Dinwiddie
Monacan
Patrick Henry
King George - replacing real good QB and 2 WRs, return a lot on defense and should have a better running game
Eastern View - rebuilding this year, should be tough next year - return real good RB and their QB

Fighting for 7-8:
Courtland - rebuilding this year, gotta be better next year - return real good RB and their QB
Chancellor - replacing good QB, but tough, physical team the last couple of years - may be rebuilding next year
Powhatan - no real idea, just based off results the last few years
Hanover - no real idea, just based off results the last few years

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Varina
Dinwiddie
Monacan
Patrick Henry
King George - replacing real good QB and 2 WRs, return a lot on defense and should have a better running game
Eastern View - rebuilding this year, should be tough next year - return real good RB and their QB

Fighting for 7-8:
Courtland - rebuilding this year, gotta be better next year - return real good RB and their QB
Chancellor - replacing good QB, but tough, physical team the last couple of years - may be rebuilding next year
I can speak on Hanover and Powhatan.

Hawks are in rebuild mode with a new coach, Sam Rogers, their form QB of 10 years ago. He guided them to 4-2 with their only two losses to Patrick Henry. They only played Hanover County schools this Spring so hard to gauge how good they will be this Fall but I got to believe Rogers is steering them in the right direction, might be another year away from really being a regional threat.

Powhatan is a program on the rise. The Indians had a tough defense this season and will be returning many from that defense and although the QB graduates, they have a running back that at times this season showed he is more than capable of carrying the load.

Like FoxesPride said, my 8 to make the playoffs, in NO particular order:

King George
Monacan
Dinwiddie
Varina
Matoaca
Henrico
Eastern View
Patrick Henry

If anyone stumbles, one of these three should be there to take a spot:
Courtland
Powhatan
Atlee

One that might fool us all because the new coach could motivate the team to a resurgence is Hanover

Honestly, the only team I sadly say probably has zero chance is George Wythe

Reactions: FoxesPride
Like FoxesPride said, my 8 to make the playoffs, in NO particular order:

King George
Monacan
Dinwiddie
Varina
Matoaca
Henrico
Eastern View
Patrick Henry

If anyone stumbles, one of these three should be there to take a spot:
Courtland
Powhatan
Atlee

One that might fool us all because the new coach could motivate the team to a resurgence is Hanover

Honestly, the only team I sadly say probably has zero chance is George Wythe
Henrico??? What you know that I don't? 0-6 this season....

Henrico??? What you know that I don't? 0-6 this season....
Unfortunately, after all Henrico went through this spring, they weren’t very good. I would say that they’re a tier and a half above George Wythe. Also there’s questions if their coach will even return. I could see them being a 3-7 team this fall.

I think that they will have to divide into two subregions for all sports
4B North Section and 4B South Section.
(Probable lineup as the Hanover County schools will want to stay together).

4B South Section
Dinwiddie
Varina
Henrico
Monacan
Matoaca
Huguenot
George Wythe
Powhatan

4B North Section
Eastern View
Chancellor
Courtland
King George
Spotsylvania
Hanover
Patrick Henry
Atlee
Mechanicsville

Playoffs
N1 vs S4
N2 vs S3
N3 vs S2
N4 vs S1

Last edited:

4B South Section
Dinwiddie
Varina
Henrico
Monacan
Matoaca
Huguenot
George Wythe
Powhatan

4B North Section
Eastern View
Chancellor
Courtland
King George
Spotsylvania
Hanover
Patrick Henry
Atlee
Mechanicsville
I like that thought process.

If the Top 4 from each section were to advance to regionals then I gotta believe we are talking about Dinwiddie, Varina, Monacan and Powhatan from the South and Hanover, Patrick Henry, King George and Eastern View from the North.

Reactions: EPJr and FoxesPride
Varina is having a mass exodus to Life Christian. Their best ATH just announced he’s leaving and they lost their QB last year (Green). Maybe Varina won’t dominate Class 4 .

Hate to hear that. Is the Life CA draw that enticing? Felt like the new coach at Varina would have them in the competitive mix and keeping players safe from poaching.
Their loud mouth coach comes to area games and recruit kids. Had several of my kids say he or his coaches approached them after games to “beg” them to come to LCA. They’re selling pipe dreams and I hate parents fall for it. If that’s your last resort, sure, but if you’re a scholar and a good athlete.. Stay put or go to Benedictine, St. Chris or Collegiate.

Varina is having a mass exodus to Life Christian. Their best ATH just announced he’s leaving and they lost their QB last year (Green). Maybe Varina won’t dominate Class 4 .
so how many we talking about.

so how many we talking about.
Two of their three best class of 2022 players are at Life now.. I see a lot of their players on Twitter talking as if the kid did the right thing. I’m certainly not the judge of his decision but Varina was going to make a lot of noise this year in Class 4. Carlo Thompson just snagged a Furman offer so the recruiters are definitely hot on Messer Road.

Two of their three best class of 2022 players are at Life now.. I see a lot of their players on Twitter talking as if the kid did the right thing. I’m certainly not the judge of his decision but Varina was going to make a lot of noise this year in Class 4. Carlo Thompson just snagged a Furman offer so the recruiters are definitely hot on Messer Road.
I've always believed that if your good enough the recruiters will find you. Especially UVA and VT. Not to mention JMU, Richmond and ODU

I've always believed that if your good enough the recruiters will find you. Especially UVA and VT. Not to mention JMU, Richmond and ODU
Life was able to capitalize off of a few transfers. They drained Hermitage when Patrick Kane left, got a few kids from the 757 and some homegrown kids who play for their AAU football team. They haven’t been receiving those big offers like they were before. They were sort of the talk a few years back, now people see the lack of academics, lack of discipline and lack of coaching within that program. They’ve gotten blown out by very good football teams in other states. I work with recruiting and though a kid may be good, college coaches want players who’ve been coached up and have some sort of development. I just don’t see that at Life Christian. From what I’ve seen, they are more concerned with football and basketball. Not once have I ever heard them say that their program can develop a better student or a better person. If I was a parent, I would see the signs. But to your point, if you have talent, you will be found!

Yeah that’s why I was always skeptical about them. Snake oil coaching/recruiting. Are their kids taking ANY in-person classes? Not hating on private schools or religion when I say that school’s football program leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah that’s why I was always skeptical about them. Snake oil coaching/recruiting. Are their kids taking ANY in-person classes? Not hating on private schools or religion when I say that school’s football program leaves a lot to be desired.
I thought it was Edgenuity but I do realize that the NCAA doesn’t recognize Edgenuity so I’m not sure. I looked up their staff directory, nothing… Students need 4 English’s, 3 maths (including Alegebra 2), 3 histories, 3 different sciences (Earth, Bio and Chem) and 3 years of a World Language in order to qualify for NCAA D1/D2 eligibility. I’m willing to bet, they don’t have the staff to satisfy these requirements. Maybe they’re partnered with another school who does and these kids take virtual classes? Who knows but I can guarantee that it’s not prepping students for college level work.

I thought it was Edgenuity but I do realize that the NCAA doesn’t recognize Edgenuity so I’m not sure. I looked up their staff directory, nothing… Students need 4 English’s, 3 maths (including Alegebra 2), 3 histories, 3 different sciences (Earth, Bio and Chem) and 3 years of a World Language in order to qualify for NCAA D1/D2 eligibility. I’m willing to bet, they don’t have the staff to satisfy these requirements. Maybe they’re partnered with another school who does and these kids take virtual classes? Who knows but I can guarantee that it’s not prepping students for college level work.

I believe everything is correct except the world language is not a qualifying or mandatory requirement. As a student can get an advanced studies or general studies diploma, the difference being the foreign language and maybe an additional math/science year. The clearinghouse maintains that a students gpa be 2.0, graduate with completion of all core classes and a satisfactory score on the SAT/ACT to match your GPA.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned

4B South Section
Dinwiddie
Varina
Henrico
Monacan
Matoaca
Huguenot
George Wythe
Powhatan

4B North Section
Eastern View
Chancellor
Courtland
King George
Spotsylvania
Hanover
Patrick Henry
Atlee
Mechanicsville
EP, is this a suggestion? Or is there some real movement to align in two divisions?

Varina
Dinwiddie
Monacan
Patrick Henry

Fighting for 7-8:
From the 540 area.
  1. Chancellor - Replacing Trevin Edwards at QB a 3 year starter will be hard, but always tough on both sides of the ball. Young RB will help ease the new QB into the game.
  2. Courtland - I don't see them competing anytime soon. They may have gotten kids from Massaponax with the redistricting, but everyone around here has film on them and unless they change up their offense and defense I don't think they will compete in our area.
  3. EV - Unless their QB play gets better teams will load the box to stop their run. Defense they are always tough and disciplined. Raq at RB is always a game changer, but need to have a passing game to open it up for him.
  4. KG - Have to replace a lot on offense skill wise, but QB coming in got a lot of playing time this year against #1 defenses and they return 4/5 OL which will be good for them up front. Defense LB's and 2ndary return so will help them stay in games.
  5. Spotsy - Loses a lot on both sides. Will be a rebuild next year but do have their transfer QB coming back healthy.
  6. Caroline drops to 3, Louisa & Orange move to 4D.
I think EV and KG only two that make the top 8 with maybe Chancellor if they can get the new QB up to speed early in the season.

Last edited:
I like that thought process.

If the Top 4 from each section were to advance to regionals then I gotta believe we are talking about Dinwiddie, Varina, Monacan and Powhatan from the South and Hanover, Patrick Henry, King George and Eastern View from the North.

EP, is this a suggestion? Or is there some real movement to align in two divisions?
my suggestion I haven't heard anything but that is what they did in basketball before the pandemic. You will notice that instead of eight they had 12 with 6 from the North and 6 from the South.

Last edited:
I believe everything is correct except the world language is not a qualifying or mandatory requirement. As a student can get an advanced studies or general studies diploma, the difference being the foreign language and maybe an additional math/science year. The clearinghouse maintains that a students gpa be 2.0, graduate with completion of all core classes and a satisfactory score on the SAT/ACT to match your GPA.
I stand corrected on the Clearinghouse. Thanks! You must be a school counselor like myself!

it’s something I’ve thought about but haven’t decided to go all the way into the education route but I try to inform all the young athletes I mentor about what they need to do and how to stay above the curve.
Good luck to you and keep up the good work bro. Kids need all the help they can get.

Varina has also lost J'Ron Lawrence to LCA
Heard Varina has picked up some kids to fill in the kids who left on the transfer market and coming up from Rolfe. Got a very very good player from Henrico. Varina has a good program and it is zoned in a nice, quiet and affordable area. They won’t have much trouble reloading.

Reactions: 804 Football Fan
Saw some highlights from the ECU camp. Varina has a lot of size and playmakers to go around. Not sure who the new QB is but he looks pretty good. Can’t really go off of a 7on7 but they definitely reloaded with athletes. Carlo Thompson may be an early candidate for 4B Player of the Year. He played JV during 9th and 10th grade because Varina was so loaded with athletes. The rising senior has offers from William and Mary, Furman, Navy and will have more by summer’s end.

Fake news here. Varina picked up 2 DBs with D1 offers and my opinion the DB that left was threatened. The QB that left Varina was due to academics so LCA was his only option. Remember you talking about a program that beat the 2019 State Champ Lake Taylor by 50 and if it wasn't for 2 TDs being called back vs HSHS then this years team wouldv'e possibly played for the title. Reality is Varina is keeping their home grown talent with other's returning from private schools and specialty centers. Their biggest hurdle will be replacing the bigs.

Reactions: 804 Football Fan
Fake news here. Varina picked up 2 DBs with D1 offers and my opinion the DB that left was threatened. The QB that left Varina was due to academics so LCA was his only option. Remember you talking about a program that beat the 2019 State Champ Lake Taylor by 50 and if it wasn't for 2 TDs being called back vs HSHS then this years team wouldv'e possibly played for the title. Reality is Varina is keeping their home grown talent with other's returning from private schools and specialty centers. Their biggest hurdle will be replacing the bigs.
Maury beat them bad that yr too (49-7). Guess what? Maury lost to LT this past yr (27-14). I never put too much in one game. Seen it too many times where a team smacks another team only to lose to them later in the season.

EeBx6KsWsAAmdVG

a concise summary of all the changes that affect the RVa Sports Network area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT