ADVERTISEMENT

Region 5B VHSL Ratings Week 8

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
VHSL released their ratings this week...

#1 LC Bird 29.2
#2 Highland Springs 29.1
#3 Henrico 28.8
#4 Atlee 27.5
#5 Douglas Freeman 25.5
#6 Varina 24.7
#7 Glen Allen 24.5
#8 Deep Run 22.16

Odd man out is Mills Godwin with 22.14

So if the playoffs began this weekend, your playoffs would look like this...

#8 Deep Run at #1 LC Bird, Coach Camp v. a team he was an assistant on.
#7 Glen Allen at #2 Highland Springs, Jags in their 2nd apperance has to face toughest team.
#6 Varina at #3 Henrico, rematch of a game we just witnessed.
#5 Douglas Freeman at #4 Atlee, rematch of a previous game this season.

So who do you like outside of the Springers? What team do you see opposing the Springers in the region final? Who do you like to upset the Springers if there were to be an upset.

It's some huge games coming up as the last few weeks unfold. Bird has Monacan this week. The Springers have Atlee. Also Godwin really has a chance to control their own fate. They play against Glen Allen, Freeman, and Deep Run in the next 3 games. The Standings will do a lot of changing as the season comes to a close.

It's some huge games coming up as the last few weeks unfold. Bird has Monacan this week. The Springers have Atlee. Also Godwin really has a chance to control their own fate. They play against Glen Allen, Freeman, and Deep Run in the next 3 games. The Standings will do a lot of changing as the season comes to a close.

Mills Godwin will have their hands full with all three. Barely beat a 1-win Hermitage squad.

Reactions: mbonape1
I think either Henrico or Varina are probably the only one's to get there. L.C. Bird proved last week that they are a shell of their former selves. Highland Springs baring significant injuries is my pick for the next 3 years.. It's unreal how much talent is pumping through the East End of Henrico. But those guys play as a team and are very humble. They deserve more props than what they are getting via the media and the Polls.

LC Bird can really make up and help themselves with a win this week against a good Monacan team. It's going to be interesting if Bird wins how the seedings will go. I think playing against Wythe could hurt Bird as far as power points. Another big matchup to watch in the coming weeks could possibly Varina vs. Atlee. With Freeman at 6-2, The loser of the the Varina/Atlee game could be faced with being possibly the 6th seed

Reactions: CRF4Dan
I think either Henrico or Varina are probably the only one's to get there. L.C. Bird proved last week that they are a shell of their former selves. Highland Springs baring significant injuries is my pick for the next 3 years.. It's unreal how much talent is pumping through the East End of Henrico. But those guys play as a team and are very humble. They deserve more props than what they are getting via the media and the Polls.

One of the best, if not the best coaching staff in the region has a lot to do with the success as well.

VHSL released their ratings this week...

#1 LC Bird 29.2
#2 Highland Springs 29.1
#3 Henrico 28.8
#4 Atlee 27.5
#5 Douglas Freeman 25.5
#6 Varina 24.7
#7 Glen Allen 24.5
#8 Deep Run 22.16

Odd man out is Mills Godwin with 22.14

So if the playoffs began this weekend, your playoffs would look like this...

#8 Deep Run at #1 LC Bird, Coach Camp v. a team he was an assistant on.
#7 Glen Allen at #2 Highland Springs, Jags in their 2nd apperance has to face toughest team.
#6 Varina at #3 Henrico, rematch of a game we just witnessed.
#5 Douglas Freeman at #4 Atlee, rematch of a previous game this season.

So who do you like outside of the Springers? What team do you see opposing the Springers in the region final? Who do you like to upset the Springers if there were to be an upset.
Would love to see a healthy Jalon Jones against HSHS rematch. I believe the QB, RB, WR threat Henrico has is the only team that will give HS a good shot.

I'm not sold on Bird at all. Each time I see this BCS scoring system, I cringe.

Reactions: mbonape1
If HSHS wins out at 10-0, they should be the 1 seed.
There are some other matchups in the state, that are interesting! O Smith and Indian River!
Stone Bridge vs Broad Run. Westfield and Centreville this week too!
SB
If HSHS wins out at 10-0, they should be the 1 seed.
There are some other matchups in the state, that are interesting! O Smith and Indian River!
Stone Bridge vs Broad Run. Westfield and Centreville this week too!
If things come together perfectly, we could see an I. River v HS region final. I want to see whats brewing down in the tidewater.

SB

If things come together perfectly, we could see an I. River v HS region final. I want to see whats brewing down in the tidewater.
I think you will have Highland Springs vs Henrico in the 5B (CentralRegion) Final. Winner goes to the State Semi against the 5A Champion Indian River(Eastern Region). HSHS vs Broad Run in the State Final.... HSHS State Champion.

Massaponex is also playing well, Indian River, Salem, and Maury down the beach are all pretty talented. Of course Stone Bridge and Broad Run up North. Also watch out for Tuscarora, Their QB is back from an early season injury.

Reactions: springer76
You guys can’t look at the Manchester game to evaluate Bird. You have to look at the other games. They have looked like 2 different teams bc of a few key players not playing. The Bird that beat a healthy TD team is pretty damn good. They have gotten healthier recently and Manchester is a super team. I believe that Manchester’s second team would win the Colonial. I do think Bird can hang with Henrico and Varina but NOT HSHS.... If they are not healthy then it gets infinitely tougher though

I think you will have Highland Springs vs Henrico in the 5B (CentralRegion) Final. Winner goes to the State Semi against the 5A Champion Indian River(Eastern Region). HSHS vs Broad Run in the State Final.... HSHS State Champion.

@springer76, come up for the SB vs BR game on Nov 2nd before you count us out. I was being humble on this blog as I learned my lesson last year however if you look at our strength of schedule vs many of our competitors, we have played tougher games and the teams we have played have went on to dominate their other opponents. Unlike many other class 5 teams that either play down and exploit 4a and 3a teams or play subpar 5a teams with below 500 records, Stone Bridge can argue the alternative.

I am predicting, HSHS vs Indian River in the south and Stone Bridge vs Massaponex in the North. With that said, I look forward to seeing HSHS down in Hampton this year!

It's been a different year in the Central Region, Hermitage is 1-7, Meadowbrook is 0-8, and Lee-Davis is 1-7. Those teams have all be in or fighting for the playoffs in the last 5 years. Nobody expected that drop and that's hurt the strength of Schedule for alot of teams in the area. Also with the Richmond area, it's not many really good 6a powers beside Manchester and Dale

You guys can’t look at the Manchester game to evaluate Bird. You have to look at the other games. They have looked like 2 different teams bc of a few key players not playing. The Bird that beat a healthy TD team is pretty damn good. They have gotten healthier recently and Manchester is a super team. I believe that Manchester’s second team would win the Colonial. I do think Bird can hang with Henrico and Varina but NOT HSHS.... If they are not healthy then it gets infinitely tougher though

ummm, TD wasn't healthy. Lost #1 QB against HSHS in scrimmage, lost starting Center in Cosby game, lost #2 QB first half of LCB and starting TE/OLB as well. TD was in control of that game until the QB went down.

It's been a different year in the Central Region, Hermitage is 1-7, Meadowbrook is 0-8, and Lee-Davis is 1-7. Those teams have all be in or fighting for the playoffs in the last 5 years. Nobody expected that drop and that's hurt the strength of Schedule for alot of teams in the area. Also with the Richmond area, it's not many really good 6a powers beside Manchester and Dale

this is true........

@springer76, come up for the SB vs BR game on Nov 2nd before you count us out. I was being humble on this blog as I learned my lesson last year however if you look at our strength of schedule vs many of our competitors, we have played tougher games and the teams we have played have went on to dominate their other opponents. Unlike many other class 5 teams that either play down and exploit 4a and 3a teams or play subpar 5a teams with below 500 records, Stone Bridge can argue the alternative.

I am predicting, HSHS vs Indian River in the south and Stone Bridge vs Massaponex in the North. With that said, I look forward to seeing HSHS down in Hampton this year!
I looked at SB's schedule yesterday. If I'm not mistaken, they've played only 2 teams with winning records. Don't get me wrong, HS's isn't much better with Hermitage, Riverbend and Meadowbrook sucking air!

this is true........

Josiah was hurt in the Bird game? If so, I stand corrected. Both Josiah and Payoute are HUGE difference makers for their teams if they are playing QB and touching the ball every play. IMO. Also, I know about the original starting QB being out but I actually thought, all things considered JW playing QB for Dale was a good thing. Definitely hurt when he went down! I think with JW healthy TD is a different team also.

Lee-Davis losses on defense to graduation and injuries seem to be why they are down this year.

Meadowbrook has been on the slide for a few years... new coach and loss of transfers hurts.

Hermitage... obviously we know the story there... coaching change and lot of losses with transfers and graduations.

Massaponax is overrated! They have that triple option offense that most defenses can’t stop therefor they are winning. Stone Bridge will have a field day with them if they meet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT