ADVERTISEMENT

Region B Final

I know in the long run that the point system makes the most sense. I’m just stating that in this one instance I believe it’s blatantly incorrect. I understand it is what it is. Doesn’t mean I have to think it’s right or just.

In this one instance, a team beat another really bad. You can't change the system over 1 game. I'm not saying who is better, who should be what, but the points system is the best way to handle it. I dont care who wins between them. But the point is that there is and should be more determining it than 1 game.

Saltnight, no offense, but the answer to your question is no. Why? Because strength of schedule is important and that is what is being accomplished with this system. Until last night, we were behind Ridgeview in points, albeit not many, but never the less, we beat them and fans couldn't understand why we were behind. I told them to calm down, that we would pass them on week eleven because that had division 1, Honaker and Honaker had not had a particularly good season.

Imagine if Richlands had won seven games and Gate City had won seven games, then Union would have the most points in all of Division 2. But that is water under the bridge now and playoffs are here and we all must move on.

Reactions: oldfool
I'll chime in as a LONG time poster who has seen the changes in the playoffs and the one doing the points.

While it is unfortunate that a head to head doesn't matter in this instance, the way it is done is a good way to do it. The only issue I have with the points is with playing down in class and still getting the same points.

That part actually benefits Central in this case, but a team should be rewarded for playing bigger schools with better records. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. From the talk on here and seeing things, I think my school, Stuarts Draft is better than 2 teams who got in, and in my opinion they are better than 2 of the teams who beat them in close games, meaning if we went by eye test or committee then things could change.

Every team who plays for a championship is going to have to play on the road. And isn't part of the argument that Central beat Clarke AT Clarke? So they can do it again. It's nothing unfair, SOS matters, thus why CC is ahead.

To someone else's point, I dont think there are 7 schools in B who can win it all, but there are certainly AT LEAST 4. Clarke, Central, Lee and Luray. Luray was a good bit better than any team I have seen this year, and would be on par with SD, RH, and Richlands last year

Well, said Gunz 41

And I’m not a Central fan....just pointing out this shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. You get rewarded for playing a tougher schedule, I for one think it’s a decent system. Just like college if you play a weak schedule you get to watch the playoffs from home.
Travel figures in to a lot of this stuff Clarke is in proximity to some higher seeds where as maybe Central was not,but when the smoke clears I imagine the best team will stand or if not they will get killed down the road.

Central is not that far from Winchester area. They could schedule better teams. I don't get some people on here bad mouthing Clarke . They went out and scheduled teams 2 classifications above them (and won). Dominion was a huge win. Handley is not a great team but they are 4A and should beat a good 2A team (but did not). Waynesboro (3A) is a decent team but Clarke beat them. What else are they supposed to do? And Central beat the 2 best teams on their schedule (Clarke and Riverheads). Obviously the Central schedule wasn't strong enough, even with those 2 big wins or the would have outpointed Clarke. So why all the gnashing of teeth over who is 1 or 2? I remember, not too long ago, that some 8-2 and 7-3 teams did not make the playoffs at all.

Central is not that far from Winchester area. They could schedule better teams. I don't get some people on here bad mouthing Clarke . They went out and scheduled teams 2 classifications above them (and won). Dominion was a huge win. Handley is not a great team but they are 4A and should beat a good 2A team (but did not). Waynesboro (3A) is a decent team but Clarke beat them. What else are they supposed to do? And Central beat the 2 best teams on their schedule (Clarke and Riverheads). Obviously the Central schedule wasn't strong enough, even with those 2 big wins or the would have outpointed Clarke. So why all the gnashing of teeth over who is 1 or 2? I remember, not too long ago, that some 8-2 and 7-3 teams did not make the playoffs at all.

Worse than that, 9-1 teams missed

Handley, Millbrook, Sherando do not want a bunch of 2A teams on their schedule. The Bull Run District is down to five teams. Maybe better leadership is needed (like the Shenandoah District) to keep teams from leaving and creating scheduling problems.

Just so you know, we don't put too much value into the VHLS ratings - We are talking High School Football, right? Some of you keep replying or posting you're Not a Central fan and such. We truly don't care if you are or if you're not. I have seen every CHS game this year and we welcome the challenge from every team we play. You play your best, and we will play ours. If you win, congrats, if we win we will just get ready for the next game. Each team brings something different each and every week. Central has size, speed, great coaching and the desire to win. We really don't gage our success from polls or ratings. Its about the next game and bringing the best game plan we can put together to win that said game. We played in a pretty good district this year and we beat them all. On top of that we beat one of the best from years past (Riverheads) and that was something we haven't had the opportunity to do since 2004 when we shut Riverheads out on their field. We will be ready to play Friday night and if we win, we will be ready for whomever is next. Best of luck to all teams in the playoffs and may the best team come out on top. Go Big Blue!

Last edited:
Handley, Millbrook, Sherando do not want a bunch of 2A teams on their schedule. The Bull Run District is down to five teams. Maybe better leadership is needed (like the Shenandoah District) to keep teams from leaving and creating scheduling problems.

Now that is funny and a typical comment from you. No validity but just jabs (as expected) I'm pretty sure teams (currently in the Shenandoah) having to travel to Falls Church on a Tuesday through Thursday for athletic events is the main reason the BRD is down to 5. The other schools that were in the old BRD were all 3A. They left to be in the Northwestern/Evergreen combined district etc for scheduling . William Monroe (3A was a 2 1/2 hour drive to Clarke and even farther to Mason. Travel has something to do with a lot of these districts and not your theory/bash of "leadership". I would suspect a change in both the Bull Run and Shenandoah districts in the next cycle especially if Mason goes 3A.

You may want to worry about round 2 at Millbrook as the Warriors will be coming back to town and leave the 2A out of conversation. Good luck BTW

Last edited:
I would suspect a change in both the Bull Run and Shenandoah districts in the next cycle especially if Mason goes 3A.

Since we have mixed districts, it doesn't matter what Mason does unless their enrollment triples. But I do hope there are some changes. Here's my proposal:

Bull Run
Strasburg
ClarkeCounty
Mason,George
Skyline
WarrenCounty

Skyline II

RappahannockCo.
Jackson,Stonewall-Q
Luray
MadisonCo.
PageCounty
EastRockingham
Central(W)
Spotswood

Shenandoah
Riverheads
BuffaloGap
StuartsDraft
WilsonMemorial
Lee,R.E.(St.)
FortDefiance
Waynesboro

Since we have mixed districts, it doesn't matter what Mason does unless their enrollment triples. But I do hope there are some changes. Here's my proposal:

Bull Run
Strasburg
ClarkeCounty
Mason,George
Skyline
WarrenCounty

Skyline II

RappahannockCo.
Jackson,Stonewall-Q
Luray
MadisonCo.
PageCounty
EastRockingham
Central(W)
Spotswood

Shenandoah
Riverheads
BuffaloGap
StuartsDraft
WilsonMemorial
Lee,R.E.(St.)
FortDefiance
Waynesboro

That's the Augusta County district at the end. Being as Staunton and Waynesboro are within the county

It seems like a simpler solution to the Mason problem is put them in the Class 3 part of the Northwestern District if they go to Class 3. Skyline and Warren would be very tough to budge out of the Northwestern, I would think.

[QUOTE="I would suspect a change in both the Bull Run and Shenandoah districts in the next cycle especially if Mason goes 3A.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is talk that Mason is going to 3A soon. And yes, there is already rumblings and rumor mill talk about shuffling of teams from the Shenandoah. Stonewall Jackson would join the other Shen Co teams in the Bull Run, as would Luray and Page County. Just "talk" right now so we'll see what happens. I like the Shenandoah district and the teams we play/run against. However, we (PCHS) play/run against most of the Bull Run teams anyway in out of district.

Reactions: BullRunFootball
They are not supposed to lose to Central by 40 and be ranked over them.

[QUOTE="I would suspect a change in both the Bull Run and Shenandoah districts in the next cycle especially if Mason goes 3A.

Yes, there is talk that Mason is going to 3A soon. And yes, there is already rumblings and rumor mill talk about shuffling of teams from the Shenandoah. Stonewall Jackson would join the other Shen Co teams in the Bull Run, as would Luray and Page County. Just "talk" right now so we'll see what happens. I like the Shenandoah district and the teams we play/run against. However, we (PCHS) play/run against most of the Bull Run teams anyway in out of district.[/QUOTE]
Riverheads should be in 2A anyway.

I sure don't hear anyone complaining about 1A Windsor with 472 kids. I wonder if that would be different if the football team was 9-1 instead of 0-10. Probably no one complaining either if Riverheads was 5-5 instead of usually just having 1 or 2 losses.

Reactions: saltNlight
I sure don't hear anyone complaining about 1A Windsor with 472 kids. I wonder if that would be different if the football team was 9-1 instead of 0-10. Probably no one complaining either if Riverheads was 5-5 instead of usually just having 1 or 2 losses.
Maybe we should move Clarke and Central up to 3A since they’re successful in football and close to the line (SARCASM)

Good post and I like but Clarke is around 690 or lower currently so not close to the "line" but I dig your thinking on it.
you have teams with 480 students in the same class as teams with 700,seems a big difference to me.

Let’s have 25 divisions
1-100 students is 1A
101-200 is 2A
201-300 is 3A
Etc

Make sure everyone has a fair and equal shot to every state championship. Can’t leave anyone out. We are all winners here!

I still think the club soccer method of having the top three finishers moving up and bottom three moving down a division would squash some of this.
That could be cool actually.
Adjust as needed per sport.
But would you adjust based on post season? If you did 4 teams, you would have one team per region move up yearly.
Or would you base upon power points?

But would you adjust based on post season? If you did 4 teams, you would have one team per region move up yearly.
For me it would be final standings based on playoffs for the top and regular season results for bottom. Sure it would complicate things but this scheduling of cupcakes would be eliminated because you wouldn’t get the same points year after year of the scheduling cycle. Run it over in your mind the possibility of the shake up it would cause.

For me it would be final standings based on playoffs for the top and regular season results for bottom. Sure it would complicate things but this scheduling of cupcakes would be eliminated because you wouldn’t get the same points year after year of the scheduling cycle. Run it over in your mind the possibility of the shake up it would cause.

Oh it would cause a ton of shake up. But no more shake up than has already been caused by the VHSL.

I still think the club soccer method of having the top three finishers moving up and bottom three moving down a division would squash some of this.
Uh, high school teams change every year as students matriculate...not so with club teams who are somewhat consistent. Unless your school is Gate City and use the "holdback" plan...then you can have the same team for years...

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
Uh, high school teams change every year as students matriculate...not so with club teams who are somewhat consistent. Unless your school is Gate City and use the "holdback" plan...then you can have the same team for years...
It is/was just an attempt at levity. Nothing will please the masses so I figured that we should think outside our normal comfort zone and discuss alternate realities. Is the current system going to stay in place? Not a chance. Will the next one, just speculating but I am gonna go with no again.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT