ADVERTISEMENT

Region B

I am always conservatively optimistic, but this year's version of Dinwiddie has me excited. As usual Region B is loaded and winning it all will only reserve the privilege of facing Phoebus. My early picks for the playoffs, realistic regular season records and possible defeats are as follows:

Huguenot 10-0 (EV, Bird, Manchester)
King George 10-0 (EV)
Dinwiddie 9-1 (Maury, Dale and Matoaca)
Varina 9-1 (Highland Springs and Hermitage)
EV 8-2 (King George and Huguenot)
Powhatan 7-3 (Huguenot, Manchester and Bird)
Courtland 7-3 (EV, King George, Louisa)
Hanover 7-3 (Highland Springs, Varina, Freeman)

I think Monacan will be improved, PH-Ashland could be a threat and although Henrico will be talented their schedule is just too tough to make a run this year.

Any word on who Huguenot is going with at QB? I think that could be the difference between 8-2 and maybe undefeated. Scott Jr is obviously extremely talented but a freshman QB is still a freshman QB at the end of the day.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Any word on who Huguenot is going with at QB? I think that could be the difference between 8-2 and maybe undefeated. Scott Jr is obviously extremely talented but a freshman QB is still a freshman QB at the end of the day.
He’s a reclassed freshman. Really a 10th grader but I agree with you. I’m sure they’ll give Linwood Johnson some plays. I think Wood is better suited for TE. Scott Jr. is legit. Heard two Prep writers say he was one of the better QBs they saw this spring/summer. 6’4 240.

I am always conservatively optimistic, but this year's version of Dinwiddie has me excited. As usual Region B is loaded and winning it all will only reserve the privilege of facing Phoebus. My early picks for the playoffs, realistic regular season records and possible defeats are as follows:

King George 10-0 (EV)

I think Monacan will be improved, PH-Ashland could be a threat and although Henrico will be talented their schedule is just too tough to make a run this year.
Monacan has a brutal schedule so they need to be “greatly” improved to be one of the top 8.

King George 10-0 (EV)

Wow - that's a BRUTAL region!

Do you think with all this talent teams will have to face to make it out of the region that the winner of this region would be "battle tested" by the time they got to Phoebus? Looking at teams like Dinwiddie, Powhatan, Huguenot and even Varina. They all have to play the likes of schools like Highland Springs, Manchester, LC Bird, Thomas Dale, Matoaca, EV and each other in the regular season and potentially in the playoffs. If any of these teams get to the state playoffs unblemished I would say they deserve some heavy credit.

Do you think with all this talent teams will have to face to make it out of the region that the winner of this region would be "battle tested" by the time they got to Phoebus? Looking at teams like Dinwiddie, Powhatan, Huguenot and even Varina. They all have to play the likes of schools like Highland Springs, Manchester, LC Bird, Thomas Dale, Matoaca, EV and each other in the regular season and potentially in the playoffs. If any of these teams get to the state playoffs unblemished I would say they deserve some heavy credit.
They will be more than battle tested. Of those guys EV plays the softest schedule they’ve always been a main stay in the playoffs just haven’t gotten over the hump. However just because your schedule is soft doesn’t mean anything. King George schedule has also been relatively soft but since 2020 they’ve been to 3 Region Championships & 2 State Semis. At the end of the day it’s all about matchups in November & December. The race for the 1 seed this year is going to be fun an I’ve got my popcorn ready 🤓🍿

Either school of thought could be a positive or negative. A Battle tested team could either be banged up with a low seed playing on the road come playoff time OR be ready for any challenge in the playoffs because they've already seen much better. A team with a softer schedule could be well rested and get some home playoff games OR be completely unprepared for a real playoff challenge. I think ultimately it just usually comes down to who has the best team because I've seen both strategies work. Ideally, you get challenged in a couple of games with playoff caliber teams and still end up with a good playoff seed to boot.

I totally agree with every post thus far and @mike salem your take about both strategies being effective is spot on. I would prefer to have home playoff games, but playing a soft schedule and going undefeated doesn't guarantee a top seed in B. Both EV and KG have gone unbeaten, played soft schedules in the past and played away. Yes, they have won a few and lost a few. I still believe playing at our home field still has a huge advantage. Since realignment in 2013, Dinwiddie is 22-2 in home playoff games (losses 2017 Louisa and 2021 PH-Ashland). They did lose to Salem in 2015 and EV in 2018 at a neutral sites. Away the Generals a 4-4 in the playoffs. Agree or not it's hard to argue with those numbers.

He’s a reclassed freshman. Really a 10th grader but I agree with you. I’m sure they’ll give Linwood Johnson some plays. I think Wood is better suited for TE. Scott Jr. is legit. Heard two Prep writers say he was one of the better QBs they saw this spring/summer. 6’4 240.
You only have 8 semesters of eligibility once your a freshman unless you go private and get reclassified. Then if you come back to public school you lose the reclassification. Ex. Soph goes to private school and gets classified as a freshman. Then returns back to public school after 2 seasons he will be a senior.

I totally agree with every post thus far and @mike salem your take about both strategies being effective is spot on. I would prefer to have home playoff games, but playing a soft schedule and going undefeated doesn't guarantee a top seed in B. Both EV and KG have gone unbeaten, played soft schedules in the past and played away. Yes, they have won a few and lost a few. I still believe playing at our home field still has a huge advantage. Since realignment in 2013, Dinwiddie is 22-2 in home playoff games (losses 2017 Louisa and 2021 PH-Ashland). They did lose to Salem in 2015 and EV in 2018 at a neutral sites. Away the Generals a 4-4 in the playoffs. Agree or not it's hard to argue with those numbers.
Similar numbers for Salem @ Home in the playoffs-

Salem playoffs since 2013:

Home 25-3 (losses to JF, Tuscarora, and Broad Run)

Road 8-2 (losses to Sherando, EC Glass) (also includes championship win @ LT)

Neutral 3-2 (losses to Lake Taylor, Phoebus)

Similar numbers for Phoebus @ Home since realignment in 2013

Home 27-4

Away 1-3

Neutral 3-1

Similar numbers for Lake Taylor @ Home as well

Home 24-2

Away 2-5

Neutral 2-2

Last edited:
It's always better to be in the comfortable confines of home. I believe the top teams in D4 can win on any field. Especially the battle tested programs like Dinwiddie, Phoebus, Salem and Varina

King George 10-0 (EV)

I like the predictions. Herm will give Varina fits this year as they’ll have the playmakers on offense to score on them and be able to get stops on defense. I’d also add Glen Allen giving Varina a run for their money. GA has the rep of playing “scared” against the East End schools, they’re slowly but surely getting that label off of them. I like Powahtan over Huguenot at their place this year! I’m calling it now!

You only have 8 semesters of eligibility once you’re a freshman unless you go private and get reclassified. Then if you come back to public school you lose the reclassification. Ex. Soph goes to private school and gets classified as a freshman. Then returns back to public school after 2 seasons he will be a senior.
Hope all is well with you brother! He reclassed as a 7th or 8th grader. I’m not sure which one but it’s getting pretty prevalent around the Richmond area that kids reclass.

Reactions: SFUWO
Either school of thought could be a positive or negative. A Battle tested team could either be banged up with a low seed playing on the road come playoff time OR be ready for any challenge in the playoffs because they've already seen much better. A team with a softer schedule could be well rested and get some home playoff games OR be completely unprepared for a real playoff challenge. I think ultimately it just usually comes down to who has the best team because I've seen both strategies work. Ideally, you get challenged in a couple of games with playoff caliber teams and still end up with a good playoff seed to boot.
What I’m about to say is probably overly simplistic, but here is my take. To be a championship team, you just can’t have a weakness, especially one that can be exploited. If you focus on big picture items like offense, defense, and special teams, that’s easy to identify weaknesses. And with weaknesses that broad, you probably don’t make it much past 10 games.

If you have a solid, complete team, but you have a smaller dynamic that is weak or missing, it gets magnified by the better teams as you advance in the playoffs. Small things, like you find out that you can get into the head of a lineman and have him lose discipline. If you don’t think good coaching staffs find that stuff and game plan around it, you are not being realistic. Maybe a QB is prone to making mistakes with the ball if he is pressured from a certain side. Maybe a particular defender is terrific defending certain pass patterns, but is vulnerable in certain others. Maybe a team is just too predictable either on offense or defense in certain situations. If you don’t think that the top teams don’t use a microscope to find and plan for these and many other blemishes, then you are pretty naive.

And you have intangibles that, if missing, could easily be the reason for your last game well before Dec. One that I feel is huge is team chemistry/player leadership. Another, conditioning and fitness is a monumental factor. If the majority of your players have not been working on strength, stamina, and diet since January, then the team that has will have your number. Experience and game savvy of your coaching staff. That’s an easy one, a good young coaching staff vs a good veteran coaching staff? Who would you put your money on.

I say this one with reservations and a caveat. Crowd support! Most top teams have it. Like home field advantage, vocal supportive crowds definitely can have an impact. But, I’m sure you have seen darn good teams with very few fans in the bleachers? Lake Taylor is one that comes to mind. In many home games, the visitors stands have more fans than the LT side. But, I’m here to tell you, Coach Sawyer has never let that factor affect his team. There have been many large vocal visiting groups of fans making excuses and making their way to their cars while shaking their heads side to side.

You just have to have all the puzzle pieces, and have them fit, to become the champion. Have you ever put a 1000 piece puzzle together and that last piece is no where to be found. You were so close, but you just needed that one piece to be satisfied and reach your goal? To me, that is what happens along the way…, to all but six teams in Virginia every year.

I heard a rumor from a valid, but slightly bias source about the Dinwiddie vs. Battlefield scrimmage. According to my source the Battlefield players were laughing and pointing out the small size of the Generals lines prior to the game. With the exception of the first play where the battlefield quarterback was supposed to be "hands off" faked an option pitch and scored a td the pint sized Generals reportedly had their way with the Goliath Battlefield men. Haven't received the exact score total; however, I was told by more than one observer that it was several scores to one. Again, I am getting quite excited about the 2024 edition of Dinwiddie football. Can't wait to see my pals from GW next week.

Just received a report on one of our opponents. Maury is as good or better than last year.

Last edited:
I heard a rumor from a valid, but slightly bias source about the Dinwiddie vs. Battlefield scrimmage. According to my source the Battlefield players were laughing and pointing out the small size of the Generals lines prior to the game. With the exception of the first play where the battlefield quarterback was "hands off" faked and option pitch and scored a td the pint sized Generals reportedly had their way with the Goliath Battlefield men. Haven't received the exact score total; however, I was told by more than one observer that it was several scores to one. Again, I am getting quite excited about the 2024 edition of Dinwiddie football. Can't wait to see my pals from GW next week.

Just received a report on one of our opponents. Maury is as good or better than last year.
Watched it on NFHS. Can confirm it was multiple to one. The defense after that play really started flying around. By my count with the starters in, they had 4 sacks & 2 INTs. We did turn the ball over once as well due to a dropped pass that landed right in the defenders bread basket. But outside of that we look pretty good for our tune up game. It’s real next week can’t wait to hear the cannon sound off 1 step at a time

You only have 8 semesters of eligibility once your a freshman unless you go private and get reclassified. Then if you come back to public school you lose the reclassification. Ex. Soph goes to private school and gets classified as a freshman. Then returns back to public school after 2 seasons he will be a senior.

Most likely did it in middle school as that’s the only way to avoid losing out on your 8 consecutive semesters.

Reactions: SFUWO
@BoKnowsSports Go check out the 1st half of the Hermitage and Huguenot scrimmage when you get a chance.

Hermitage might be finally putting it together. They are ATHLETIC. They used a running QB and a throwing qb. I'm pretty sure the runner will be the starter. Also I'm pretty sure Andre Clark wasn't on the field.

Huguenot didn't look bad though. They will probably have to lean on the run early. Scott looked uncomfortable after throwing an early pick.

Hermitage went up 20-0 before Huguenot scored twice late in the 1st half. 20-16 starters vs starters.

@BoKnowsSports Go check out the 1st half of the Hermitage and Huguenot scrimmage when you get a chance.

Hermitage might be finally putting it together. They are ATHLETIC. They used a running QB and a throwing qb. I'm pretty sure the runner will be the starter. Also I'm pretty sure Andre Clark wasn't on the field.

Huguenot didn't look bad though. They will probably have to lean on the run early. Scott looked uncomfortable after throwing an early pick.

Hermitage went up 20-0 before Huguenot scored twice late in the 1st half. 20-16 starters vs starters.
Andre Clarke was on the field tonight. I believe he was wearing #6. He had a touchdown on a fade ball. He played a little into the 2nd half (maybe the first drive or 2).
Both teams looked very athletic. Shoutout to whoever scheduled this scrimmage. Think it was a good test for them both. Herm came out with more energy and it showed. However I was surprised how it looked like no one from the Huguenot sideline panicked and they stayed the course. Huguenots run game started to open up midway through the second and they had a stable of guys that run well. Herm alternated QBs as well, I think the offense ran smoother with the running QB in. I believe that was the starter from last year.

I thought the same thing, only thing that still worries me about Herm is the coaching in crunch time. I must admit though, that’s the best I’ve seen them look in a long time. Hopefully they can continue to piece it together. I’ve said it before and I’m going to continue to say it, The 804 is better when all 5 Powerhouses are good!!

Andre Clarke was on the field tonight. I believe he was wearing #6. He had a touchdown on a fade ball. He played a little into the 2nd half (maybe the first drive or 2).
Both teams looked very athletic. Shoutout to whoever scheduled this scrimmage. Think it was a good test for them both. Herm came out with more energy and it showed. However I was surprised how it looked like no one from the Huguenot sideline panicked and they stayed the course. Huguenots run game started to open up midway through the second and they had a stable of guys that run well. Herm alternated QBs as well, I think the offense ran smoother with the running QB in. I believe that was the starter from last year.
Gotha someone told me he wore a different number.

@General172011, are you getting good vibes on this Dinwiddie team. I know the leadership and discipline is greatly improved from last season. Maybe just maybe the Generals will make a run. Lot of football to be played.
Dinwiddie has a lot of talented guys in the right places saw them on NFHS broadcast they gave battlefield all they wanted GW playing them in the opener is like playing the Supper Bowl in the first game the Eagles will find out very fast where they stack up with the big dogs can’t wait

Dinwiddie has a lot of talented guys in the right places saw them on NFHS broadcast they gave battlefield all they wanted GW playing them in the opener is like playing the Supper Bowl in the first game the Eagles will find out very fast where they stack up with the big dogs can’t wait
@Mic Honcho how did GW do in their scrimmages. Looking forward to seeing the Eagles and their great fans next week. Let's pack the house. Stop by the press box and say hello.

I thought in the Jamboree at Asheboro thought the Offense ran the ball very well Defense played very well against the run Defense gave up some passes against Heritage I thought the offense played well they threw the ball very well against Heritage on Defense the mobile QB gave the Eagles some trouble

I’m proud of what Jean Pierre is becoming as a coach. He’s had to learn by trial and error how to lead those guys but he’s a players’ coach and has had to find his way. When Dave Bedwell stepped down at Herm, he told the AD that JP should get the job to keep the program afloat. JP has done an excellent job of reloading that program. He’s in the building and attempts to be active in those kids lives on a daily basis. It’s a little unorthodox how that program is run, but he’s done a great job of putting the kids in the right position to be successful. Had a lot of riff raff on staff the first couple of years which led to their playoff demise. He’s gotten some consistency by hiring older coaches to mold those kids. Herm will definitely be in the conversation in November.

Andre Clarke, Ben Yeanay, Alijah Paige. Earl Winston and Dillan Webb may be the best group of skill guys that nobody knows about in the whole state of VA. I’d put them up with just about anyone.

Reactions: General172011
Just watched Dinwiddie vs Battlefield scrimmage. Dinwiddie looked fast and sound on defense. Biggest takeaway was the offense having success when Dalton clearly wasn't a run threat. Those guys will have even more space when you have to worry about Dalton running, so I would expect another huge year offensively.

The defense is very fast and will be better than last year. But I think they may some struggles early before they round into playoff form.

Just watched Dinwiddie vs Battlefield scrimmage. Dinwiddie looked fast and sound on defense. Biggest takeaway was the offense having success when Dalton clearly wasn't a run threat. Those guys will have even more space when you have to worry about Dalton running, so I would expect another huge year offensively.

The defense is very fast and will be better than last year. But I think they may some struggles early before they round into playoff form.
I think Dinwiddie is the dark horse in B this year. Gonna be hard to beat them come November.

Who you got Thursday night? Think IR gonna give Varina a game? You going to HS/Manchester?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

If there are any struggles it’ll be the Maury game. Maury’s strength was our weakness last year (Pass Defense). This preseason I’ve seen we’ve been better at communicating in the secondary and hopefully that’ll help us flourish week by week. If that pass defense can hold up this year could turn out to be special.

I think Dinwiddie is the dark horse in B this year. Gonna be hard to beat them come November.

Who you got Thursday night? Think IR gonna give Varina a game? You going to HS/Manchester?
I would expect a low scoring game between IR and Varina with Varina winning something like 17-10. IR will have athletes but I don't think they will have much success on offense unless they have improved a lot.

I won't be at HSHS vs Manchester but I think HSHS wins big in that one.

I would expect a low scoring game between IR and Varina with Varina winning something like 17-10. IR will have athletes but I don't think they will have much success on offense unless they have improved a lot.

I won't be at HSHS vs Manchester but I think HSHS wins big in that one.
I agree with both. If Varina puts up 17 on IR then watch out! That would be a big improvement,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT