ADVERTISEMENT

Region D Playoffs , Thoughts? Upsets?

Sep 8, 2018
Last year, Grayson Co. stunned Ridgeview. Ridgeview's Sproles may be out for at least one or two games depending on outcome of ejection appeal I suppose. Does it matter in first two rounds if they don't have him? For weeks, most people were thinking Region D belonged to Ridgeview then they lost to Abingdon while Graham seemed to get things together finally. Can Grayson County pull another upset? Will Graham stay strong? Anybody have any thoughts or predictions?

Graham is probably the strongest team in region D in all 3 phases this year. But they may have to travel if they advance. Anything can happen, but if Graham can keep their heads on straight and continue to stay focused and limit the bone head penalties. I like their chances.

Last edited:
I'd peg Graham as the favorite despite being the 3-seed. Ridgeview would have home field but I'm not sure they're playing their best ball right now. Same for 2-seed Union. Graham seems to be peaking at the right time and they are explosive.

Graham is more dimensional this year. They have a legitimate running game to go with the passing game this season. The qb can make something out of nothing and the defense seems to be a little more physical than last years team. They have a good kicker. Coaching seems to have improved on the defensive side of the ball throughout the season. The defense has improved tremendously as the season has went on. Athletes like Allen and Lester are rare for schools this size and they are fortunate to have them both.

I'd peg Graham as the favorite despite being the 3-seed. Ridgeview would have home field but I'm not sure they're playing their best ball right now. Same for 2-seed Union. Graham seems to be peaking at the right time and they are explosive.

Ridgeview is perfectly fine as long as both backs are getting the ball, as has been the case since the Abingdon loss. The Sproles loss will hurt IF it lasts longer than this Friday, but I have already been in contact with an official who says that he believes the suspension will be reduced from 3 games to 1.

edit: I believe Graham to be the best team I have seen with my own two eyes so far, but perhaps if a Ridgeview and Graham game does happen, it will be on the Ridge which could make a difference.

Out of this week's games I don't see any upsets except maybe Richland over Grayson, but #5 over #4 isn't much of one.

I would have to think Graham and Ridgeview are the favorites at this point. The 2nd round games will be very good.

Friday looks to be as wet as last week. Not sure about everyone else, but it will definitely affect Union.

What happened with Sproles?

Was ejected for fighting at Honaker last Friday night.

Suspension. No one is quite sure yet if it's gonna be one game (two unsportsmanlike penalties) or three games (fighting). He was ejected in last regular season game v. Honaker

Heard late last night that the appeal reduced the suspension from three games to one. So, he will be out against Wise Central this Friday but will be back for the second round if we advance.

What position does the Sproles kid play?

Linebacker. McKenzie was the one ejected, but his brother Alijah is the better and more vicious hitter of the two.

Reactions: VaTech98

Heard late last night that the appeal reduced the suspension from three games to one. So, he will be out against Wise Central this Friday but will be back for the second round if we advance.

Linebacker. McKenzie was the one ejected, but his brother Alijah is the better and more vicious hitter of the two.
Got no dog in this, but if it was for fighting, why not 3 games? I didn't see it, I wasn't there, I'm just asking, that's all.

I thought fighting was 3 games as well. How the appeals process works, Im not real sure. I'm assuming that's how it got lowered to 1 game. Maybe they seen something on tape that made them change their mind.

should sit for more than game if coach is trying to teach these kids and not just for the game , sorry no kid should be fighting on the field ! No dog in the fight just a opinion!

Got no dog in this, but if it was for fighting, why not 3 games? I didn't see it, I wasn't there, I'm just asking, that's all.

I thought fighting was 3 games as well. How the appeals process works, Im not real sure. I'm assuming that's how it got lowered to 1 game. Maybe they seen something on tape that made them change their mind.

Was originally three games and reduced to one game on appeal yesterday afternoon. Apparently, the video showed the Honaker kid (who was not ejected by the way), instigated it.

Was originally three games and reduced to one game on appeal yesterday afternoon. Apparently, the video showed the Honaker kid (who was not ejected by the way), instigated it.
Well, Honaker isn't playing anymore, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Glad Sproles got it reduced.

You always want to play a team at full strength, so there are no doubts. Just hope the punishment fits the crime, if not that's not teaching the kid anything but the wrong thing. I don't know the situation at all, just saying, in general.

Reactions: Stabler1980
I'm going blind then. I looked for them in 2a, 3a, and 4a brackets and didn't see them. Shoulda looked at 1a too. My bad!:cool:

Lol no prob. They’re the 7 seed in region 1D, & will travel to Emory & Henry College this week to play the Patrick Henry Rebels.

Coaching seems to have improved on the defensive side of the ball throughout the season. The defense has improved tremendously as the season has went on. Athletes like Allen and Lester are rare for schools this size and they are fortunate to have them both.

Agree on all points especially defense take. Defense has significantly improved as the season progressed. I admittedly was worried early on but improved coaching, disciplined play, and working more as a single unit has helped tremendously. Kudos to players and coaches for stepping up your game. I think former DC from Richlands has meshed well with players and coaching staff. Top marks to Coach Tony Palmer for bringing him aboard. The players are a talented group too and that helps as well. Can't take anything for granted in playoffs, one game at a time now, go GMen!

Reactions: 19GHS87
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT