ADVERTISEMENT

Region Tournaments

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
Just read the VHSL site...just to clear things up for people wondering on here. Looks like the top 8 teams in each region go to the region tournament. How that is decided...it depends on what the region decides. It could either be overall record or the point system somebody posted on here earlier. Then, all four regions play their 8 team brackets out. The two teams that make it to the Regional Championship advance to the State Tournament, which is 8 teams. From there is it single elimination.

State tournament matchups:

#1 Region D Champion vs
#2 Region C Runner-Up

#1 Region C Champion vs
#2 Region D Runner-Up

#1 Region B Champion vs
#2 Region A Runner-Up

#1 Region A Champion vs
#2 Region B Runner-Up

The way the tournament is set up, there could be a potential Regional Championship rematch in the state semifinals. Personally, I would rather they mix it up more, but I guess that makes for more interesting games. The state championship this year will be a Region C/D team vs a Region A/B team, which is more or less Northern and Western Virginia vs Central and Eastern Virginia. I like the setup overall, because entering the tournament there are 32 teams, and it is all single elimination save the Regional Championship. This makes it more of a March Madness feel, with a standard 1/8, 2/7, 3/6, 4/5 matchups in the first round. Looks to be a good one. If any of you know how the specific regions do their seedings, please enlighten us and post on here. As far as I know, Region D takes the top 8 teams and the seedings are decided simply by overall record.

Best of luck to teams playing tonight. It's rivalry week in the Jefferson, and there looks to be some good ones with Charlottesville/Monticello and Albemarle/Western Albemarle.

Region B has all 13 teams in. On Feb 18, play-in game between 12 and 13. Then seeds 5 through 12 play the next day while the top 4 seeds have a bye. Then we go to an 8 team bracket.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Region B has all 13 teams in. On Feb 18, play-in game between 12 and 13. Then seeds 5 through 12 play the next day while the top 4 seeds have a bye. Then we go to an 8 team bracket.
Thanks for the info. Courtland AD had told me all 13 got in, so I assumed there would be some play-ins and byes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT