ADVERTISEMENT

Reynolds catches fire, Anderson dominates as Wildcats beat Appomattox

MascotMemorizer

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 30, 2007

BY JORDAN BONDURANT jbondurant@registerbee.com (434)-791-7996 Posted2 days ago

Founded online at: http://www.godanriver.com/sports/re...4ae-c700-11e5-9330-eb77b247f77f.html?mode=jqm

RINGGOLD — An early third-quarter double-digit lead quickly became a one-possession game before Appomattox hit empty, as Dan River outpaced the visiting Raiders in the final 12 minutes of regulation for a 73-54 victory on Friday night.

“We went with a smaller and quicker lineup,” said Wildcats head coach Kenny Murphy. “We were able to get up and down and finally got the chance to do some boxing out and grabbing rebounds. We wanted to push the floor as much as we could.”

“For three-and-a-half quarters we gave great effort, and then we just made some boneheaded mistakes,” Appomattox head coach Aric Mawdesley said. “But I’m going to chalk it up to us running out of steam. In the places where effort and energy are important we just didn’t do those things. Decision making we didn’t make good decisions at the end, and we weren’t tough around the rim.”

Dan River honored its senior class before the game, and JoJo Reynolds made the biggest mark of the group. Reynolds caught fire shooting the ball, knocking down five 3-pointers and giving him 19 points on the night.

“It was big,” Reynolds said. “It was my last time going out there on the home floor, so I just wanted to end it on a big note.”

He added of his great shooting night: “I was hot, so I was just going to keep shooting.”

“He came out to play,” Murphy said. “I was glad to see him get hot shooting the ball, because without those 3’s that gap gets closer and closer.”

The Wildcats (13-1) outscored the Raiders (3-5) 28-12 in the final quarter, and before many could catch their breath after Appomattox made it a three-point game with just over four minutes to play, Zemar Anderson began coming up with an answer.

Anderson created three three-point plays drawing contact in the paint. He scored 14 points in the final quarter and finished with a game-high 22.

“I was just telling my teammates to pass me the ball,” Anderson said. “When I got the ball I just tried to finish.”

As was the case, Dan River really opened things up on transition plays. When things got hectic and the Wildcats turned up the intensity, Mawdesley said his team just couldn’t match it.

“We were playing at a very fast pace, and I think with the snow and everything coming in we just couldn’t keep up toward the end,” he said.

DeVan Graves led the Raiders with 14 points and also had six rebounds. Buster Henderson added eight.

For Dan River, the Wildcats will continue to work on what’s led them to now a third consecutive blowout win.

“We want to rebound, we want to run, but we have to do a better job getting around screens defensively,” Murphy said. “We were trading 3’s for 2’s and if you do the math that closes the gap really quick.”

The Wildcats are back in action on Tuesday, beginning a series of five straight road games to close out the regular season at William Campbell.

DAN RIVER 73, APPOMATTOX 54

APPOMATTOX (3-5)

Individual scores Totals: Graves 14, Henderson 8, Thomas 6, Devin Dews 6, Mayberry 5, Perkins 5, Page 5, Morgan 5.

DAN RIVER (13-1)

Individual scores Totals: Anderson 22, Reynolds 19, Womble 8, Harris 8, Stone 7, Durant 5, Whittle 2, Dickerson 2.

1 2 3 4 F
Appomattox 9 12 21 12 —54
Dan River 20 11 14 28 —73

3-Point Goals: Graves 2, Thomas 2, Perkins, Mayberry, Devin Dews. Reynolds 5, Stone.

Appomattox head coach Aric Mawdesley said. “But I’m going to chalk it up to us running out of steam. In the places where effort and energy are important we just didn’t do those things. Decision making we didn’t make good decisions at the end, and we weren’t tough around the rim.”

LOL ROFL, Travis Cottrell is the head coach, this is his 6th season as head coach. Who is Aric Mawdesley???

Anderson was doing well with ON BALL screens to get open. Plus our transition zone press wasnt working well at all that night. We pulled within 3 two times in this game only to give the game away. Page had a horrible shooting night, he went 0-5 from 3pt range. Deven Dews didnt shoot well either. It was good to see Devon Graves step up this game though. He finally looked solid the entire game. I think the key stat from game is D.R. went 4-22 from FT line??? We couldn't capitalize on that either. Hopefully we will see each other in playoffs and 3rd time will be the charm.

DR went 4-of-22 from the foul line? I know their girls were 4-of-22 against Appomattox, but Zemar had three or four And-1 himself.

DR went 4-of-22 from the foul line? I know their girls were 4-of-22 against Appomattox, but Zemar had three or four And-1 himself.
My bad, i confused the girls with the boys FTs. My bad, appo coach told me today that DR had 17 Turnovers and he was mad cause we couldn't capitalize on it.

Small correction. Appomattox coach said Chancellor High game was a scrimmage, so Raider boys are 3-6 now. If we win out, we can end season 8-6

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT