ADVERTISEMENT

Richlands Jamboree

Ryan4VT

VaPreps Varsity
Richlands didn't look terrible against GW given that it was the first 10 snaps they've taken all year. They only gave up one TD, and the starting defense didn't give up another one after that. The game ended 21-21 but when it was good vs. good it was 21-14.

The first play of the Pulaski game didn't count. Read option ran to perfection but the refs whistled the play dead and the Richlands defense completely quit on the play. They kicked the XP really quick but in that series, Pulaski ran 11 plays so the first one didn't count. Pulaski still scored two more times in that first 10 plays, but after that Richlands locked back down except for a pass play where Harris looked like he turned the wrong way. Richlands offense looked MUCH better in this one. They scored three times and on their last play of the first 10, they got down to the 2 yard line. Good vs good ended 21-20 Pulaski.

The Belfry matchup was the one that everyone cared about. Belfry didn't score on their first 10 plays and only got 20 yards. They wouldn't have gotten that if they counted sack yardage behind the 40. Richlands scored once in it's first 10. Belfry came out in the second 10 and scored on their last play of the series and Richlands answered with two TD to make that one finish 21-7 Richlands.

Overall, I'm not nearly as worried about our defense as some of people are. DL looks downright nasty. DB will be ok (Collins did not play tonight) when it's back to full strength. LB was the shaky spot, but it came along as the night went, and that's what you want.

I'll stand by my prediction that by the end of this season, this defense will be special.

Reactions: Bigrhsfan
A little prejudicial and I would have liked to hear more about Pulaski and GW but I'll take it. Thanks for the post. GLRichlands.

Excellent scrimmage as always!

Thought all four teams looked good. A few quick thoughts

Pulaski:
-Everyone has raved about the HB from Pulaski and thought he was the best back that played.
-Very good skill players on Offense and a solid O-Line, not huge, but good sized for a HS line
- Need some work on Defense but have nice athletes and team speed

George Wythe
-Probably the best they have looked since Belfry has been coming down there.
- Nice size for a small school and a solid QB/HB Combo
- Probably the team that most benefited from the competition, they just played solid all night and had to gain confidence

Richlands:
- VIntage Richlands on Offense. Very good, very fast, very skilled and that was without the Collins kid. Big play ability.
- The new back looked good but you can tell he is still adjusting to their style, will be just fine
-Their Defense is maybe a little behind last year at the moment. They had some issues against Pulaski and GW and didn't get to really see Belfry's true Offense. With that said, the issues aren't talent it is experience.Against GW and Pulaski it was missed assignments that hurt them more than just simply getting beat by athleticism.
-Very good team.

Belfry
- As I mentioned leading up they came in pretty banged up and were missing their All-State Guard Jordan Scott, their excellent FB/LB Wellman, and their All-State K who also is their starting SE and CB2 Woolum. The 3 Year Starter at Center Preece and their dominant OT Kentucky commit Dotson both played one series against Pulaski before leaving after getting dinged up, the coaches held them out the rest of the night as pre-caution. They also only played 4 Year Starter DE/LB Austin Hall one series against Pulaski before pulling him as pre-caution. Just wanted to steal him some varsity reps.
- The key focus of this scrimmage was throwing Belfry's LB'ers into the fire. The Pirates lost two Defensive starters entering this season and both were at LB. Hall and Wellman are awesome, but the other two spots have been a crazy competition and three Freshmen have been a major factor in the race.Without Wellman and Hall essentially the entire night it let these youngsters get a ton of reps against some of the better Offensive Skill they will go up against all year.That experience was valuable, and for the Coaches it really gave them a chance to see who could play the best when hitting someone else.
- As for the line, before someone thinks that the fact Belfry was playing essentially their second team on the Interior and it should be discounted, I would also say that those guys that Richlands and GW had success against are no chopped liver. The big Lawson kid is a Sophomore (6'4 285) that filled in and I am going to predict like I did three years ago during this scrimmage and say he will be playing D-1 football. The Barker kid that played one of the Tackles (6'4 255) is a Sophomore as well, but is going to be starting at one of only two opens spots from graduation. I also predict he will be playing on Saturdays if he can continue to gain weight on his frame.Also Bentley (TE) and Whitt (G) did play all night and both are returning starters. Bentley is the #2 prospect in KY and has signed with Louisville and had over 20+ offers.It was Half of Belfry's starting line which is pretty good

Wish you all all the best and I expect a couple of those teams play for a title!

EKUAlum, that was pretty much spot on from what I saw as well.

All four of these teams have a legit shot at making it very deep in their playoffs. You're gonna be hard pressed to find a jamboree on this end of the state with that caliber competition. It will pay off immensely.

Excellent scrimmage as always!

Thought all four teams looked good. A few quick thoughts

Pulaski:
-Everyone has raved about the HB from Pulaski and thought he was the best back that played.
-Very good skill players on Offense and a solid O-Line, not huge, but good sized for a HS line
- Need some work on Defense but have nice athletes and team speed

George Wythe
-Probably the best they have looked since Belfry has been coming down there.
- Nice size for a small school and a solid QB/HB Combo
- Probably the team that most benefited from the competition, they just played solid all night and had to gain confidence

Richlands:
- VIntage Richlands on Offense. Very good, very fast, very skilled and that was without the Collins kid. Big play ability.
- The new back looked good but you can tell he is still adjusting to their style, will be just fine
-Their Defense is maybe a little behind last year at the moment. They had some issues against Pulaski and GW and didn't get to really see Belfry's true Offense. With that said, the issues aren't talent it is experience.Against GW and Pulaski it was missed assignments that hurt them more than just simply getting beat by athleticism.
-Very good team.

Belfry
- As I mentioned leading up they came in pretty banged up and were missing their All-State Guard Jordan Scott, their excellent FB/LB Wellman, and their All-State K who also is their starting SE and CB2 Woolum. The 3 Year Starter at Center Preece and their dominant OT Kentucky commit Dotson both played one series against Pulaski before leaving after getting dinged up, the coaches held them out the rest of the night as pre-caution. They also only played 4 Year Starter DE/LB Austin Hall one series against Pulaski before pulling him as pre-caution. Just wanted to steal him some varsity reps.
- The key focus of this scrimmage was throwing Belfry's LB'ers into the fire. The Pirates lost two Defensive starters entering this season and both were at LB. Hall and Wellman are awesome, but the other two spots have been a crazy competition and three Freshmen have been a major factor in the race.Without Wellman and Hall essentially the entire night it let these youngsters get a ton of reps against some of the better Offensive Skill they will go up against all year.That experience was valuable, and for the Coaches it really gave them a chance to see who could play the best when hitting someone else.
- As for the line, before someone thinks that the fact Belfry was playing essentially their second team on the Interior and it should be discounted, I would also say that those guys that Richlands and GW had success against are no chopped liver. The big Lawson kid is a Sophomore (6'4 285) that filled in and I am going to predict like I did three years ago during this scrimmage and say he will be playing D-1 football. The Barker kid that played one of the Tackles (6'4 255) is a Sophomore as well, but is going to be starting at one of only two opens spots from graduation. I also predict he will be playing on Saturdays if he can continue to gain weight on his frame.Also Bentley (TE) and Whitt (G) did play all night and both are returning starters. Bentley is the #2 prospect in KY and has signed with Louisville and had over 20+ offers.It was Half of Belfry's starting line which is pretty good

Wish you all all the best and I expect a couple of those teams play for a title!

Nice write-up man. Always enjoy reading this from you. All teams should do well this season. Just wished you wouldve posted jersey numbers for the Belfry guys you mentioned that played. I only know of Horton.

How did GW do against KY and Pulaski?

Hey Blaster, overall i think GW looked good man. Im sure i missed a lot cuz i was focusing on other teams but they looked much improved from this time last year. Defense looked to be where some improvement can be made. Pulaski made some big plays on them. Could be missed assignments, again i wasnt completely focused on them. But GW has a nice looking offense. Looks balanced. Ran the ball well on all the teams they scrimmaged and that number 84, i think thats his number, has a good arm. Have good speed and size for a small school. They should do well this season.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Hey Blaster, overall i think GW looked good man. Im sure i missed a lot cuz i was focusing on other teams but they looked much improved from this time last year. Defense looked to be where some improvement can be made. Pulaski made some big plays on them. Could be missed assignments, again i wasnt completely focused on them. But GW has a nice looking offense. Looks balanced. Ran the ball well on all the teams they scrimmaged and that number 84, i think thats his number, has a good arm. Have good speed and size for a small school. They should do well this season.

Thanks for the update I didn't get to make it out I've seen a bit of film from it. Now I will be at GW on the 19th we have a benefit game against Tazwell. Our D has a few new pieces but I think they will become a very strong unit. Our O should give a lot of teams trouble this year. With Deacon Beamer coming back as QB and the RB'S we have plus one of my favorite players from last season #21 Markell Moss he will be very special to GW this season.

Reactions: Bigrhsfan
Thanks for the update I didn't get to make it out I've seen a bit of film from it. Now I will be at GW on the 19th we have a benefit game against Tazwell. Our D has a few new pieces but I think they will become a very strong unit. Our O should give a lot of teams trouble this year. With Deacon Beamer coming back as QB and the RB'S we have plus one of my favorite players from last season #21 Markell Moss he will be very special to GW this season.

Moss looked good. Made some big plays. Tough little runner for a smaller kid.

I love watching him play he is a speed freak if he hits a lane he is gone. Idk how many teams kicked it away from him last season and he still took it to the house.

94 was probably Booger Owens and if not then it was Jordan Harbor both are amazing backs with good speed and they will lay a hit on you lol.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
That's probably about right we never take our full squad. Some are still on vacation and some of the younger ones don't dress. We will know more on exact numbers next week. Against Tazwell

An interesting note on GW was that the players wore a type of padding over top of their helmets. I'm assuming that's to lessen head to head blows in the preseason. First time I've seen that.

Yeh. My gf asked why they were wearing afros on their helmets.

Yeh. My gf asked why they were wearing afros on their helmets.
GF? I swore off those years ago. Way easier to rent by the hour.

Much prettier. Enthusiastic. No guilt. Do an exceptional job and the best part is they go away when you tell them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT