ADVERTISEMENT

Ridgeview at Union

swva_havok_fan

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 23, 2016
Well... here we go. The biggest game of the season in Class 2 from far SWVA is here. Ridgeview at Union. Winner probably not only wins the district but most likely will be the 1 seed in Region D when all is said and done. Union is coming off a loss last night to Paintsville, Kentucky and lost a key player for the season in the process.

Ridgeview is led by Trenton Adkins who has already received multiple P5 offers and is on pace for 3,000 yards rushing for the season. The game is at Bullitt Park and will be broadcast on Tri Cities CW, WCYB's Facebook Live and WCYB.com.

This game definitely sets the field for playoffs. Union took a loss last night, but my gut says they will overcome the loss of a game and a player. Should be a great game to watch.

I was more confident before Friday. Losing a starting LB/RB, the penalty issues and a defense susceptible to big plays going against a team off a bye that is clicking with a D1 recruit at RB, Bears face uphill journey.

Catching this game on the way back from Nashville. This sounds like an old fashioned fistacuffs outside an ole Tastee Freeze with tons of curbstomping and anger from all parties involved. I can't wait to see this game. I get the feeling this will be a classic and I want to see if the Ridgeview All American Running Back (I think he is, maybe not?) is as good as advertised.

Catching this game on the way back from Nashville. This sounds like an old fashioned fistacuffs outside an ole Tastee Freeze with tons of curbstomping and anger from all parties involved. I can't wait to see this game. I get the feeling this will be a classic and I want to see if the Ridgeview All American Running Back (I think he is, maybe not?) is as good as advertised.
He's good, and I don't think you will be disappointed by any aspect of this game. Well, except parking if you don't get there early. lol

Union is a solid football team IF they play mistake free. They are good enough to beat anyone, but not by making the careless mistakes they did against Paintsville. They will have to play perfect to win this game and hope for Ridgeview mistake or two.

Reactions: moto138
Union 32 Ridgeview 26 Final

Got their Wolfpack mistakes early and built a 26-3 lead. Made a slew of their own in the 3rd, but held on for dear life after that.

Did not expect this. Would love to see Graham and Ridgeview play!

Great game I watched it Both teams are good, but Graham is better than both of em come playoff time and will come out of that region.

Great game I watched it Both teams are good, but Graham is better than both of em come playoff time and will come out of that region.

May be, we will see. Union went to Graham and won and now beat Ridgeview, the two top teams in the preseason for Region D. Doesn't mean a win in the playoffs but it's looking like Region D could run thru Bullitt Park.

What did you think?

Reactions: Mccoy Bruin
My gut instinct was correct, Union is a tough cookie. I fully expect Union to win the championship this year. Heck it may even end up against Appo.

Two things decided this game:

1. Dug ourselves a big hole early and you just can't do that.
2. Two red zone possessions in the second half and 0 points and you just can't do that. (One was the stupid coaching decision to go for it on fourth and long when you have the kicker to make the field goal and two, the interception by Jenkins at the two)

That was the difference in the game. Ridgeview wasn't prepared the first half and that's that.

Bye bye district title and number one playoff seed. With another sure loss coming to Pikeville in three weeks, (and still have Abingdon left as well) we may even wind up third in the power points.

Two things decided this game:

1. Dug ourselves a big hole early and you just can't do that.
2. Two red zone possessions in the second half and 0 points and you just can't do that. (One was the stupid coaching decision to go for it on fourth and long when you have the kicker to make the field goal and two, the interception by Jenkins at the two)

That was the difference in the game. Ridgeview wasn't prepared the first half and that's that.

Bye bye district title and number one playoff seed. With another sure loss coming to Pikeville in three weeks, (and still have Abingdon left as well) we may even wind up third in the power points.
I don't think Abingdon will be an issue. They have little speed and can't stop the run.
Pikeville is a whole other beast. Crazy a school that small is so good. The fact that they beat a healthy Paintsville is impressive.

Not kicking the FG on fourth and long blew my mind. The stop gave Union momentum when they needed it The most.

My takeaways from watching this were.....
Both teams are very, very good. There was a high level of play on the field. Union is not just good, but near perfectly well coached and this showed last night. No offense to Ridgeviews coach, but Union's Coach gets 100% out of his team.

Poliet from Union is one of the top 3 AA players in the state. He has to be. I'm sure he gets some props at RB because he's a tough runner and RB's get the headlines, but his ability at Linebacker and watching how many tackles he makes and how many plays he changes are remarkable. There is a case for this kid to be 2A overall player of the year. He's up there along with Lester from Graham as both are special on both sides of the ball.

Union's size is small, but line is vicious. I have seen Union 3 times over the years and never have I seen a Union team that is not very big or huge. Well, this line isn't terribly big, but incredibly stocky and strong and good. Same for Ridgeview. Both Union and Ridgeview are very close. If they were to meet again, it probably will go down to the wire I would think.

Jenkins for Union is an absolute baller on both sides of the ball. He's the kind of kid that puts himself in every perfect spot on the field to make a play and the kind of kid that will beat you or make a big play when the momentum may be changing. Polier is the same, but Jenkins for Union on defense is smooth.

Ridgeview-The running back is unbelievable. He's a legitimate D1 kid. Union's 11 knew he was getting it and they contained him pretty good, but the RB also got his against what is a stout defense. He's very quick and has incredible vision and incredible strength. The most underrated player I was or a guy that hasn't been talked about is a Wide Receiver Ridgeview has. This guy has unbelievable hands and quicks, and I was a bit taken back why this kid isn't getting more hitches or bubble screens. He's dynamic and he plays on a running team, but if this kid played in a pass offense, he would be first team All State and put up video game numbers.

Awesome game between two awesome teams and kind of what I thought going in. It appears Union, Ridgeview, Graham, and Richlands are neck and neck and having now seen Graham, Union, and Ridgeview, and Radford, Gretna, Glenvar, and Appo vs Buckingham, the 4 in the west are better than all of them with the exception of Buckingham. Buckingham is equally as good as the 4 in the west and they are very close. I am sure that by now, Appo, much like Richlands, has also caught up and right there in the mix. I've seen the teams mentioned above with the exception of Richlands.

Having seen the teams above, I still believe that the best of the bunch regarding their ceiling, or if they bring their best game, is Graham. They have talent all over the field, but Graham can easily be beat in my opinion by Ridgeview, and Union as we have seen, and I suspect Richlands also. If Graham plays their A game, they won't be beat. Only my opinion of the west. As for Buckingham, they are the real deal. They can play with those in the West. Not saying who wins, but they are good enough and legit.

So Buckingham is the only team that can challenge in A or B?

You tell us. I haven't seen any time in the East other than Buckingham. I wrote this a week ago Of the teams I've saw in the East which is only one (Buckingham), they can challenge and maybe beat the West. As for Buckingham matching up with the East in teams like Luray, Draft, Clarke, Poqouson, TJ Richmond? I have no idea. What do you think?

You tell us. I haven't seen any time in the East other than Buckingham. I wrote this a week ago Of the teams I've saw in the East which is only one (Buckingham), they can challenge and maybe beat the West. As for Buckingham matching up with the East in teams like Luray, Draft, Clarke, Poqouson, TJ Richmond? I have no idea. What do you think?

I have no clue, haven't seen all these teams.

But I think it is a little disrespectful to not mention others.

SD- Only undefeated team left in 2a
Luray- Only loss to SD
Clarke- only losses to SD and Luray
TJ- Loss came in an OT shootout

I don't know when you wrote it, but you posted it yesterday. I just don't know how you can say that the 4 in West are better than anyone else besides Buckingham when you haven't seen the others. It's not even something that you could be wrong about, you could be exactly right, but at this point I don't know how you can dismiss a whole side of state without seeing them

Buckco may be the class of Region B, but they can't afford to be complacent. Their remaining schedule is no cakewalk. I was impressed with Draft against Luray, but got a reality check when the Cougars played Gap. They've got talent and a balanced attack, but I'm not sure they can string together 4 wins in the playoffs. They do have grit and determination and that could take them far. Clarke and Luray are tough and virtually even as Friday night showed. East Rock and Strasburg are down.

Region A may come down to Teejay, and possibly Notto or Poquoson. King William has put up Madden numbers, but their level of competition is always suspect. Something is amiss with Amelia. The win against Teejay was good, but something tells me that feat won't be repeated.

Critical A/B games left: Teejay at Gretna 10/25, Buckingham at Amelia 10/25, Buckingham at Nottoway 11/8, Stuarts Draft at Riverheads 11/8

@obguthr, the two schools look like a mirror of each other in many ways. Remaining opponents have a combined record so far of 9-16 for Buckingham and 13-11 for Draft. Each will play two desirable opponents with Buckingham having Randolph Henry (0-7) and Prince Edward (1-5), while Draft has Wilson (1-5) and Staunton (2-4). Each also face a quality opponent with the two games you mentioned. If either lose to someone other than potentially their final regular season game, I would have serious doubts on whether they can compete on the State stage. Amelia is too Jekyl and Hyde for me and I am not sure what has happened so I see Buckingham winning that game. Playoffs should be interesting this year on this half of the state with no Goochland in region A to worry with. Betting money would have region B will most likely having a new representative as well with the rapid fall of ER due to graduation.

Reactions: obguthr
I’m going Tee Jay to make it out of the East if they can stay healthy and most importantly, DISCIPLINED. They are huge and have a lot of athletes on their team. Already beat Greensville BIG, lost in OT to Amelia but I think them beating 5A Glen Allen is very very impressive.. They still have 2 more very good opponents on their schedule in Gretna (hard place to win and long drive from Willow Lawn) and undefeated 5A Deep Run. @Gunz41 I hope your boys can make some noise this year! I’d like to catch a playoff game @ Draft. Beautiful place up there.

Buckco may be the class of Region B, but they can't afford to be complacent. Their remaining schedule is no cakewalk. I was impressed with Draft against Luray, but got a reality check when the Cougars played Gap. They've got talent and a balanced attack, but I'm not sure they can string together 4 wins in the playoffs. They do have grit and determination and that could take them far. Clarke and Luray are tough and virtually even as Friday night showed. East Rock and Strasburg are down.

Region A may come down to Teejay, and possibly Notto or Poquoson. King William has put up Madden numbers, but their level of competition is always suspect. Something is amiss with Amelia. The win against Teejay was good, but something tells me that feat won't be repeated.

Critical A/B games left: Teejay at Gretna 10/25, Buckingham at Amelia 10/25, Buckingham at Nottoway 11/8, Stuarts Draft at Riverheads 11/8

My post certainly wasn't just about SD, just so everyone knows. As nobody can find where I ever talk trash or anything like that. I just don't know how someone (anyone) can come to a conclusion that a team isn't as good as someone else without witnessing said teams.

I can see coming to a conclusion based on the season thus far, but saying the only team that has been seen is the only team that can compete isn't right.

As for being impressed by Luray but not against BG, I don't think that is fair. That is like saying a team isn't allowed to have an off game, and they didn't play very well, but they still won in a rivalry game. I don't discount Graham because they lost to Union, Radford because they lost to Richlands, Appomattox because they lost to Buckingham, etc. It's the same team who beat Clarke and Luray. And I am not saying they win any more games, but at present they are the only undefeated team in 2a. How they wouldn't even be considered at this point is mind blowing to me.

And at this moment, IF they only lose to Riverheads they would be at home for as long as they are in the playoffs

Guns, you should take a breath my friend and relax. No disrespect intended for any program. I've wrote that the 4 in the West are good enough to win a title and they might have 4 of the top 6 or 7 teams in the state.. I also stated Buckingham is as good as the 4 in the West. I've seen them. I didn't mention others in Region B like Draft because I haven't seen them, so it's not disrespectful to leave them out. Draft might be 4 TD's better than Buckingham for all I know. But I believe Buckingham is as good as those in the west. That's all I'm saying.

VaPreps has a top 10. Much of it is subjective as all pollsters haven't seen all teams. Is that disrespectful? Of course not. It's an opinion. I can tell you this....it's not the West and Everyone Else ( which was kind of the environment on here last year with East Rock and everyone else. The sharp posters wrote ER was good enough to win a title and they were good enough. I'm saying the same for all four in the west including Buckingham. That don't mean they will. Draft, Luray, and so many others, don't forget about TJ and Poquoson may be good enough to win a title. I haven't seen em, but because I don't mention them doesn't mean I'm disrespectful or that any other poster is disrespectful. Have you given consideration that you might be a touch sensitive on the issue? Take a deep breath and relax. It will all play out. My early picks in the East were Draft vs Buckingham in the region title game and the winner of that game beating the Region A team and playing for the state title. Purely a guess and for fun.

If Appomattox keeps improving like the way they are, then they are going to be a tough out for anybody. They got all kinds of athleticism and get better each week. Can't leave these boys out. Dan River also quietly having a great season.

Guns, you should take a breath my friend and relax. No disrespect intended for any program. I've wrote that the 4 in the West are good enough to win a title and they might have 4 of the top 6 or 7 teams in the state.. I also stated Buckingham is as good as the 4 in the West. I've seen them. I didn't mention others in Region B like Draft because I haven't seen them, so it's not disrespectful to leave them out. Draft might be 4 TD's better than Buckingham for all I know. But I believe Buckingham is as good as those in the west. That's all I'm saying.

VaPreps has a top 10. Much of it is subjective as all pollsters haven't seen all teams. Is that disrespectful? Of course not. It's an opinion. I can tell you this....it's not the West and Everyone Else ( which was kind of the environment on here last year with East Rock and everyone else. The sharp posters wrote ER was good enough to win a title and they were good enough. I'm saying the same for all four in the west including Buckingham. That don't mean they will. Draft, Luray, and so many others, don't forget about TJ and Poquoson may be good enough to win a title. I haven't seen em, but because I don't mention them doesn't mean I'm disrespectful or that any other poster is disrespectful. Have you given consideration that you might be a touch sensitive on the issue? Take a deep breath and relax. It will all play out. My early picks in the East were Draft vs Buckingham in the region title game and the winner of that game beating the Region A team and playing for the state title. Purely a guess and for fun.

Its not that big of a deal. Certainly has nothing to do with you. Maybe disrespectful was the wrong word. All I saw was "the 4 in the west are better than all of them with the exception of Buckingham." Maybe it just is worded strangely. And it doesn't sound like it was your intention to leave all those schools out. So I apologize for reading it wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT