ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads 65 Altavista 7 Final

Xcross revving his tractor up

xcross is about to ride out from game - very, very upset that he wasted his money when he knew it would be a blowout ----

but stops, chants of Thornhill, Thornhill come from well... the hills....

To heck with UVA going to GT and that horrible Atlanta traffic, Thornhill returns to help his hometown!

xcross turns his tractor around...glad that he bought a ticket afterall....

Reactions: mmqp
xcross is about to ride out from game - very, very upset that he wasted his money when he knew it would be a blowout ----

but stops, chants of Thornhill, Thornhill come from well... the hills....

To heck with UVA going to GT and that horrible Atlanta traffic, Thornhill returns to help his hometown!

xcross turns his tractor around...glad that he bought a ticket afterall....

It's 42-0 now. Not even sure Mr. Thornhill could bring them back from this!

Reactions: uvacavs1
So after trying all week to give as much credit as I could, I will give the following analysis of the game and Altavista.

First let me say that the day and the facilities could not have been better. Thanks to Western Albemarle for allowing us to play on their field.

The game lacked any real drama after about the first 5 minutes. Not to say there were not moments but the flow and “feel” of the game was unusual.

Altavista is better than the final score. Several athletes stand out to me as I sit here. #3 is a great defender with his hand in the dirt, much respect to his ability and effort. #11 needed a little more time to be effective as a QB but certainly has a bright future. #6 has a heart thats big as a football field. Took a few big shots and kept coming back over and over. #12 was an underutilized diamond. Got behind the D on several occasions with no looks and chased down a play or two that would normally have gone for a TD. In my opinion he should be wore out running the go route, Randy Moss style.

Overall I again say that Altavista plays a very tough schedule and has some good pieces. With the youth movement there, brighter days are ahead for Altavista.

Last edited:
Glad everyone is lookin out for my well being ! I did finally make over the mountain , but by the time I got there the score was 28 zip ! Next week will be much closer ! 40 miles closer . Saw Jerry on the top row but could not climb those bleachers to say hi . Stood by concessions the whole time waiting for someone but no one showed . Food was hard to find . Next week we should see some fireworks !!!!! GO BIG RED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad everyone is lookin out for my well being ! I did finally make over the mountain , but by the time I got there the score was 28 zip ! Next week will be much closer ! 40 miles closer . Saw Jerry on the top row but could not climb those bleachers to say hi . Stood by concessions the whole time waiting for someone but no one showed . Food was hard to find . Next week we should see some fireworks !!!!! GO BIG RED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
are u sure jerry was there, u must have got there at 209, I had a extra dr pepper and some scooby snacks for ya, and those bleachers needed railings

Reactions: MGF
I had to ask what the score was because my eyes must be bad . I could not read the scoreboard

Don't have a lot of time tonight so I will just add that this was a very businesslike win for the Big Red. They had no turnovers in the game and right now (8 hours or so later) I can only remember one penalty and that was for a kick-off going out of bounds.

The Big Red was helped along just about all day by great field position. It seemed like their average possession started around midfield. They got the running game going early, as Zac Smiley scored four TDs, including an untouched kickoff return; Devin Morris added two; fullback Jaden Phillips had one; and in the feel-good score of the day, senior running back Dylan Coffey, who has paid his dues to be sure, scored from about 35 yards out.

The Gladiators also scored one TD through the air as Moose Lee hauled in a 19 yarder for his first TD reception of the year, to go along with one on the ground. Peyton Skillman was a perfect 9 for 9 on PATs and the Gladiators scored two points when a punt snap sailed into the end zone and the Altavista punter had to fall on it.

I would echo some of the comments above, such as how nice the facility was and how appreciative we should be to Western. I also agree that the future looks bright for Altavista considering their youth. Although they scored their only TD on the ground, for the most part they had more success with their passing game. The QB threw one especially nice ball in the first quarter that almost connected for about a 40-50 yard gain, and had the receiver been able to haul that one in, I think even the Riverheads faithful would have given him an ovation!

So we will move on to another old favorite, William Campbell, next Friday. I just listened to the weather and although I will believe it when I see it, we might FINALLY get a Friday night without rain. But it looks to be a chilly one.

In the meantime, the power outages worked out for the best in that any interested Gladiator fan can now make the trip to Roanoke Tuesday night to cheer on the Lady Gladiators in the state 1-A title game. I will not be surprised if there is a turnout to match the one at Riverheads last Tuesday. Good Luck Ladies!

hey xcross, since u wont me up with JERRY AND SON at the football game why don't u come meet us at church, marlbrook Baptist, anyone and everyone is welcomed, sunday school at 10, preaching at 11, sunday night at 6, and wed night at 7, also JERRY drives the van, so if u need a ride he can pick u up

hey xcross, since u wont me up with JERRY AND SON at the football game why don't u come meet us at church, marlbrook Baptist, anyone and everyone is welcomed, sunday school at 10, preaching at 11, sunday night at 6, and wed night at 7, also JERRY drives the van, so if u need a ride he can pick u up
Thanks for the invite ! You know what they say about those Baptist ,Narrow minded ! lol
Old Prov is just down the road so I will try to make it there . Thanks again

Crazy how good riverheads is
Just amazing to produce results like this yesr after yesr. Really can anyone at all best them ?
Is there even a realistic shot ?

Reactions: mmqp
Essex was a razor thin game last year that maybe should have went the other way and they are good again this year. Northumberland seems to be as competitive as Essex this year. I was actually eyeing WP due to how well they played Clarke but they were put out already.

Look I am confident that the Red team has a shot. They also can be beat at any point because it happens every year to teams that “should” win. Until the clock hits zero and the Gladiators have more points than whomever they are playing, nothing is guaranteed. Do I like our chances? Heck yeah but I am not naive enough to assume they can’t be beat. There are some very good athletes and coaching at other schools. As an example, Mark Dixon has the Galax community bought in to his program and he and his staff know X’s and O’s.

So the short answer is yes they can be beat. As to who, anyone that is left in the playoffs.

There are 8 1A teams that are loving the fact they are practicing on Thanksgiving. Every one of them should believe they can win. Good luck and safe travels to all those left in the tourney.

Essex was a razor thin game last year that maybe should have went the other way and they are good again this year. Northumberland seems to be as competitive as Essex this year. I was actually eyeing WP due to how well they played Clarke but they were put out already.

Look I am confident that the Red team has a shot. They also can be beat at any point because it happens every year to teams that “should” win. Until the clock hits zero and the Gladiators have more points than whomever they are playing, nothing is guaranteed. Do I like our chances? Heck yeah but I am not naive enough to assume they can’t be beat. There are some very good athletes and coaching at other schools. As an example, Mark Dixon has the Galax community bought in to his program and he and his staff know X’s and O’s.

So the short answer is yes they can be beat. As to who, anyone that is left in the playoffs.

There are 8 1A teams that are loving the fact they are practicing on Thanksgiving. Every one of them should believe they can win. Good luck and safe travels to all those left in the tourney.

The one thing that *might* help Essex this season is the change in offensive philosophy. The style of offense they run now requires more discipline than the more improv-style spread that they traditionally run.

One thing that seems to be hurting them recently are these slow starts. One thing that you wont see from the Big Red Machine is a slow start so IF Essex beats Northumberland they better bring their A game from kickoff to the finish.

I cant really speak on Northumberland because they're a new kid on the block in all of this. Good for them though!!

Reactions: MGF and uvacavs1
I hope to see Essex and that double wing . How does it look compared to the Red Team ?

Ok you say all the right things that are suppose to be said and I will say the true things

I'm just playing around here. I know there's a chance someone beats riverheads but IMO it will require a lot of luck and some good breaks to pull it off. Riverheads is built from the ground up. Their programs start at 5 years old with a tremendous breeding ground feeding that machine.

IMO no one can touch riverheads overall staff and philosophy. I agree Dixon is solid at Galax as well
Though

Look I was a referee for a few years and have lived about 2 hours north of Riverheads highschool now for about 12 years. I'm just saying very few do it better than riverheads

Galax Does have a good squad this year. I don't think anyone in the East will upset riverheads

Baloney!

Ok you say all the right things that are suppose to be said and I will say the true things

I'm just playing around here. I know there's a chance someone beats riverheads but IMO it will require a lot of luck and some good breaks to pull it off. Riverheads is built from the ground up. Their programs start at 5 years old with a tremendous breeding ground feeding that machine.

IMO no one can touch riverheads overall staff and philosophy. I agree Dixon is solid at Galax as well
Though

Look I was a referee for a few years and have lived about 2 hours north of Riverheads highschool now for about 12 years. I'm just saying very few do it better than riverheads

Galax Does have a good squad this year. I don't think anyone in the East will upset riverheads
You hit the nail on the head!! IMO its all coaching!! There is no individuals they play as a team and if you dont buy into that philosophy you dont play or your not on the team. I remember several years ago the starting middle linebacker was goofing off in practice he was dismissed from the team. Coach Casto told him he could come back the following year he did and was an all state linebacker that year. Seldom are they the most athletic team on the field but they are always the most disciplined. Thats the Casto way and that philosophy has worked the last 20 years. They also have a very good defensive coordinator in Ray Norcross hes been there since before Casto came there. Coach Casto is very demanding when it comes to execution and the results speak for themselves.

You hit the nail on the head!! IMO its all coaching!! There is no individuals they play as a team and if you dont buy into that philosophy you dont play or your not on the team. I remember several years ago the starting middle linebacker was goofing off in practice he was dismissed from the team. Coach Casto told him he could come back the following year he did and was an all state linebacker that year. Seldom are they the most athletic team on the field but they are always the most disciplined. Thats the Casto way and that philosophy has worked the last 20 years. They also have a very good defensive coordinator in Ray Norcross hes been there since before Casto came there. Coach Casto is very demanding when it comes to execution and the results speak for themselves.

One of the play by play guys for Altavista challenged anyone to name a player for Riverheads over the last 10 years (not including Riverheads fans of course) and he's right, you cant really name any ONE player without taking a minute or two to think about it. Really amazing when it comes right down to it.

One of the play by play guys for Altavista challenged anyone to name a player for Riverheads over the last 10 years (not including Riverheads fans of course) and he's right, you cant really name any ONE player without taking a minute or two to think about it. Really amazing when it comes right down to it.

Excellent point.

I never even consider any specific, individual players on Riverheads. Don't care about the individuals just know the system is a machine.

Only name I know from the last several years is Coach Casto.

Reactions: mmqp and MGF

Though

Why do I have to be an a$$h0le and present the team I support with bravado? I stand by my statements and would argue that anyone that recklessly represents a team even in these forums is foolish.

I clearly stated I think we have the capability to win but as many people have stated in the thousands of threads on here, luck and circumstances sometimes intervene. Every team that is favored doesn’t end up winning.

There has only been one time that I was convinced the Red team was unstoppable. The 2016 version was about as nasty a team as I have watched from G’ville. There were other years that were very good but that was the most business like team I have witnessed.

So I will say it again, Riverheads has a shot just like 7 other 1A teams. Realistically I believe 3 have a better chance than others. If you want bulletin board material, there are several others that post that stuff. I am as objective as you will find so please take it as it is.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: BGfootball95
All-state defensive player of the year and yes this is why he continues to have good teams year in and year out

Why do I have to be an a$$h0le and present the team I support with bravado? I stand by my statements and would argue that anyone that recklessly represents a team even in these forums is foolish.

I clearly stated I think we have the capability to win but as many people have stated in the thousands of threads on here, luck and circumstances sometimes intervene. Every team that is favored doesn’t end up winning.

There has only been one time that I was convinced the Red team was unstoppable. The 2016 version was about as nasty a team as I have watched from G’ville. There were other years that were very good but that was the most business like team I have witnessed.

So I will say it again, Riverheads has a shot just like 7 other 1A teams. Realistically I believe 3 have a better chance than others. If you want bulletin board material, there are several others that post that stuff. I am as objective as you will find so please take it as it is.
[/QUOTE]
The 2016 version was definitely a machine....

So I will say it again, Riverheads has a shot just like 7 other 1A teams. Realistically I believe 3 have a better chance than others. If you want bulletin board material, there are several others that post that stuff. I am as objective as you will find so please take it as it is.
[/QUOTE]

Just to prove your point, even that unstoppable team was stopped, albeit a 2a team. I of course am of the opinion that 2a team was better, but obviously not by much.

And to use other teams as examples, just look at 6-4 Galax or 5-5 Blacksburg of teams who had "no shot." Heck use Blacksburg last year, they absolutely hammered Salem in regular season. I think I remember reading it was Salem worst lost in a whole bunch of years. They had a rematch, Salem won and won a championship. Or a few years ago when Giles beat Glenvar really bad in regular season by something like 30 points. Turned around the next week and Glenvar won by about 30. You think they changed 60 points in 2 weeks?

That's the difference in favorite and locked or automatic winner

@Gunz41, that game was about as 50/50 as it gets. No excuses that night Draft was better. Those other examples are exactly what I am talking about. The underdog does win and at times big so you just never know.

@Gunz41, that game was about as 50/50 as it gets. No excuses that night Draft was better. Those other examples are exactly what I am talking about. The underdog does win and at times big so you just never know.

They were unstoppable after that game, but the point is that whether SD or RH was better didn't matter any other day, just like 364 days Riverheads could be better than any of Essex, Northumberland, William Campbell, Galax, Narrows, Chilhowie, and Patrick Henry. If any of them is better than Riverheads that day, then over.

Any of you guys thinking anyone is invincible, look no further than Blacksburg. While VT may not be very good now (in part because of injuries), they were like 50 point favorites again ODU, a ODU team who was winless. And just to keep it fair on both sides of the rivalry in the state, look no further than UVA and UMBC. I would almost guarantee that UVA/VT were BIGGER favorites than Riverheads would be against any of the teams remaining. O, I forgot Riverheads has this huge coaching advantage (which I agree with btw), so are we saying that ODU and UMBC have coaching advantage over the Virginia teams? Well they are college students anything can happen? Well these are HIGH SCHOOL students, not as mature as college kids.

Dont get me wrong, and I believe @RedPrideNation_RollPride is the exact same (even though he is a fan of Riverheads and I am not), not saying Riverheads isnt the big favorite, because they are, but to think that they are unbeatable or 40 points better than anyone on ANY day is absurd. That doesnt mean that they cant beat everyone by 40+ points, but to say it as a fact is severely doing an injustice to the teams and KIDS remaining and thinking that just because they are "Riverheads" and have had success in the past that they arent capable of having an off day.

Honestly, when I read some of these comments about being unbeatable, what I read between the lines is "since my team is eliminated, I hope they do win so I can complain about them more"

That Draft defense that year was really, really good. However, am I the only one who thinks that maybe Riverheads did not really try to do everything possible to win that game? I am not saying they lost the game on purpose. I just think they ran their 3 plays and maybe did not show anything more for the playoffs. I think Riverheads actually threw for a couple touchdowns in the state championship game and maybe in the semi game as well.

That Draft defense that year was really, really good. However, am I the only one who thinks that maybe Riverheads did not really try to do everything possible to win that game? I am not saying they lost the game on purpose. I just think they ran their 3 plays and maybe did not show anything more for the playoffs. I think Riverheads actually threw for a couple touchdowns in the state championship game and maybe in the semi game as well.

I would say both didn't show everything. While Mr Cross would say that Draft won because it was their Super Bowl, I disagree. Let's not forget that there was a lot of Senior talent on that team, ones who didn't lose s lot coming up. And then last year, while Riverheads was a little better and won the game, they beat SD by 3.

Reactions: Bama1985

I could name a ton. But we also have to play them every year lol

Reactions: WilsonFootball
I would say both didn't show everything. While Mr Cross would say that Draft won because it was their Super Bowl, I disagree. Let's not forget that there was a lot of Senior talent on that team, ones who didn't lose s lot coming up. And then last year, while Riverheads was a little better and won the game, they beat SD by 3.
1-2 against that Red team as Varsity players. The MVP for Draft that game was the punter. If I remember correctly he had RH pinned inside the 10 at least 3 if not 4 times. Great effort by that whole team. The D was the best Draft has had in forever and the O made enough plays. We can agree to disagree on whether the teams were showing all their cards. Regardless though, SD was better that night.

Reactions: Bama1985
1-2 against that Red team as Varsity players. The MVP for Draft that game was the punter. If I remember correctly he had RH pinned inside the 10 at least 3 if not 4 times. Great effort by that whole team. The D was the best Draft has had in forever and the O made enough plays. We can agree to disagree on whether the teams were showing all their cards. Regardless though, SD was better that night.

No doubt the Red Team has had more success in recent memory. My point was that just because they lost a game it isnt right to say they didn't show everything but Draft did. About as even as 2 teams could be. Anyone thinking that Riverheads didn't show everything but Draft did is really just saying it to give s reason why the result happened. Draft certainly ran other things in the playoffs, as it sounds like Riverheads did.

I'll repeat again, I dont think EITHER team showed everything in the game

I disagree. Both tried things that didn’t work. Doesn’t mean they didn’t try though. As for RH passing in later rounds, there was no pass rush by those teams so it was more easlily executed. There wasn’t time to get the exchange done before someone was getting hit behind the line on that night in Draft. I will give Draft their due but I personally won’t agree that either team held back. Teams game plan and run what they think will be effective. There is some in game adjustments but to be real we all know what the teams run. Neither team could make wholesale changes mid game. SD executed when it counted end of story. No hold backs or gimmes in my opinion.

I disagree. Both tried things that didn’t work. Doesn’t mean they didn’t try though. As for RH passing in later rounds, there was no pass rush by those teams so it was more easlily executed. There wasn’t time to get the exchange done before someone was getting hit behind the line on that night in Draft. I will give Draft their due but I personally won’t agree that either team held back. Teams game plan and run what they think will be effective. There is some in game adjustments but to be real we all know what the teams run. Neither team could make wholesale changes mid game. SD executed when it counted end of story. No hold backs or gimmes in my opinion.

You must not be understanding what I am saying. I am not saying either team held back, just that neither used everything they had in the playbook. I think both teams gave everything they had, while not using everything known to man

I understand perfectly, I disagree. SD had ran on most people that year and had a semi prolific passing game. Riverheads had run on everyone with relative ease up to that point with a few pass plays thrown in. Neither was successful in their base O.

The specific plays are irrelevant to me. As much as we all would like to think these teams have 25-30 plays they can run, more realistically it is just in the double digits and you can count on one hand the ones they are proficient at. Not trying to argue with you but to say they didn’t explore their play book is silly. I would venture to say the play to score in OT was not a staple as I do not recall it being utilized earlier. The concept was used but not from that set with motion.

It’s all good and I won’t keep going as you are as passionate as I am just different points of view.

I understand perfectly, I disagree. SD had ran on most people that year and had a semi prolific passing game. Riverheads had run on everyone with relative ease up to that point with a few pass plays thrown in. Neither was successful in their base O.

The specific plays are irrelevant to me. As much as we all would like to think these teams have 25-30 plays they can run, more realistically it is just in the double digits and you can count on one hand the ones they are proficient at. Not trying to argue with you but to say they didn’t explore their play book is silly. I would venture to say the play to score in OT was not a staple as I do not recall it being utilized earlier. The concept was used but not from that set with motion.

It’s all good and I won’t keep going as you are as passionate as I am just different points of view.

We can agree to disagree, but there is a difference in exploring the playbook and running anything you have. That is like saying Riverheads ran everything they had with ER or Central. Coached for a long time, and yes some people think "why cant we run this or that, I seen it once 3 years ago with the Cowboys", but I know that SD didn't run every play they had, as I am sure Riverheads didnt.

I'll put it this way and if you disagree then there is really no common ground to be had, as I am very familiar with both "playbooks" per say. But let's just say a team has 12 plays, or 24 for each side. I dont consider either team "holding back" if they ran 21 of them, that isnt counting a trick play or 2. But that would constitute not showing everything.

Both fanbases, every fanbase, have those fans "that was a stupid call, they doing the same thing, why cant we run this" etc. I know I have heard it in stands at Draft away games, and the few times I have been in stands for Riverheads games. You cant please everyone

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT