ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads appeals

I guess I will make some unhappy here, The only problem I have with Riverheads is, statistically speaking, is the likelihood of a class 1 team being able to field enough talent to dominate the way Riverheads has is a million to one.. I understand they have/had some of the best coaching in the state, but if you don’t have talent you aren’t gonna win. Are they cheating to achieve this?? I don’t have proof of that nor do I care to find out, All I’m saying is the likelihood of this is so unreal and the fact they are appealing to stay is sketch to me. It’s only my humble opinion, and I’m positive I’m not the only one who thinks this way.
RH runs their program the right way. I feel certain that the high school coaches have been involved in the rec leagues since Casto took over. They are in an area where football is very important on friday nights and those kids grow up idolizing the high school football players. It is a lot like what Parry McClure had going on in the late 70's through the early 90's, except PM didn't dominate quite like RH has for the past 15 years. RH numbers on the team have been huge over the past several years also just like PM had back in the day. I'm not saying other programs are not doing the same things, but when you are a small school that creates that kind of excitement for your football team, you will have success. What RH has done would be much harder in a 3A - 6A classification, but they proved last year, by beating LB, that they can compete very well at least through the 3A level. I don't think RH is cheating at all.

@Kilroy25 how much talent do you think RH has on the field at any one time? How much does a typical class 1 school? I am asking because I feel there a plenty of times there have been class 1 schools with more talent. No argument just curious how you came to that conclusion.

@Flexable the youth football program has around 105 from 2nd to 7th grade this year (of those about 35-40 are in the wrestling room over the winter). Small schools have to have kids play multiple sports, especially the athletic kids. I can only speak to the last couple of years of the youth program but there isn’t a heavy hand to run exactly what the HS does. Like every other program across the country, they are taught that football is the most selfless sport there is. There are some skill players groomed to step into certain roles but by and large the talent evaluation for positions doesn’t become important until the JV coach gets them.

@Kilroy25 how much talent do you think RH has on the field at any one time? How much does a typical class 1 school? I am asking because I feel there a plenty of times there have been class 1 schools with more talent. No argument just curious how you came to that conclusion.
I don’t know of any other class 1 school that has 96 on their roster, those are class 6 numbers. 20% of the Riverheads school plays football. Don’t know the ratio of boys to girls, but once that is known the percentage goes up, it’s just highly unprobable.

Reactions: Triple Opt
The fact that they appealed to play down is baffling to me, and to be honest is an embarrassment for such a program. Their AD has shown what is important with this move. And if vhsl allows it , it will speak volumes

Reactions: Wingo-Dingo
I misunderstood the original post. I didn’t know it was about the total number of players on the roster. Pretty sure it’s less than 96 though, closer to 75 between both squads. I was reading the op that it was unusually large talent disparity to which I disagree with for a lot of years.

I too went "HUH?" when I saw that 96 figure and wondered where the heck anyone had gotten that. An average RHS roster in any given year is somewhere in the 45 to 60 range, but for playoffs they might bring some up from the JVs, as I suppose a lot of people do.

RedPrideNation has made some good points above, but to add something to what he has said that might help Kilroy and some of the others understand......it is all about consistency and repetition. Sports in general is all about learning from experience. Yes of course you have to have raw talent but if you do anything long enough meaning: A) having the same coaches for an extended period of time; and B) having players that start out as young as first or second grade and stick with it, then OF COURSE you are going to be better when you have that experience under your belts.

Compare it to something like a car mechanic. Wouldn't you expect a guy who has been working in the same garage for 20 or 30 years to be better than a kid that picks up a wrench for the first time and says "OK, what do I do with this?"

Last but not least, RHS has not "always" been dominant during the Casto years. They went 0-10 his first year, in his seventh or eighth year they only went 4-6, and several times when they made the playoffs, they were out by the first or second round.

I personally see all sides to the appeal question and am willing to wait and see what the VHSL decides.

I don't think RH cheats in any way. They have a well coached, disciplined and talented football team with a community that is dedicated to success. Do I think they look for every opportunity, loophole, and rule that they can bend when reporting their ADM which determines what class of sports they will participate in? Yes. Does that look pretty bad sometimes (474.5). Yes. Does it make it look worse when they appeal a change in class because they want to play in a lower division. Yes.

According to their updated roster on the Shenandoah District website, they have 50 varsity players listed
I was assuming max preps was JV and Varsity
I understand it looks like I’m supporting and argument that RH is cheating, I really am not, my opinion on the matter is irrelevant. I was just trying to point out the optics of the matter. Like I said previously, I don’t have proof nor do I want to go on a witch hunt to prove it, The optics here just doesn’t look good.

Reactions: Reecesdad
That 474.5 was mentioned one time and one time only as a joke, for Pete's sake. I don't even remember who brought it up but I have an idea.

May I also point out that you first said that you don't think Riverheads cheats in any way, but then you turn right around and say without saying that they probably do. (Look at your own phrasing "bend when reporting their ADM.") A school, any school, either reports their figures accurately or they don't. So I think you are riding a fence there without saying what you really think.

Clarification...it is probably obvious but my comment was directed at Reecesdad. Kilroy just happened to sneak in another post there while I was typing my response.

That 474.5 was mentioned one time and one time only as a joke, for Pete's sake. I don't even remember who brought it up but I have an idea.

May I also point out that you first said that you don't think Riverheads cheats in any way, but then you turn right around and say without saying that they probably do. (Look at your own phrasing "bend when reporting their ADM.") A school, any school, either reports their figures accurately or they don't. So I think you are riding a fence there without saying what you really think.

“Bending” and “breaking” are different words.

Reactions: Reecesdad

No, I said exactly what I think. You just don't like it. I don't think they cheat period. I do think they do everything they can to bend to stay in Class 1. Funny thing though. Ya'll sure get butthurt anytime someone mentions ADM. Not to mention ya'll add fuel to the fire when you ask for an appeal to play down a division instead of playing in the proper division when the new alignment goes into effect.

I don't think the VHSL is going to let anyone play down unless there was an error in the original ADM numbers. RH will likely be Class 2 for at least the next 2 years and will be just fine,

No, I said exactly what I think. You just don't like it. I don't think they cheat period. I do think they do everything they can to bend to stay in Class 1. Funny thing though. Ya'll sure get butthurt anytime someone mentions ADM. Not to mention ya'll add fuel to the fire when you ask for an appeal to play down a division instead of playing in the proper division when the new alignment goes into effect.
Reecesdad, one thing to keep in mind. The fans, alums, players, former players, and not even the coaches decided to appeal. It's one thing to knock all of Riverheads for appealing to play down, but we are talking about 1 or 2 people deciding and making this decision. I stand by my earlier opinion in Riverheads. If you could poll every RH fan in the Greenville area and include current and former players, I think the majority would have decided to not not appeal, and relish the ability to play Class 2.

Yeah, Maxpreps often just has players from previous years still on roster. New people added, but old players still there.

Reactions: oldfool2
Reecesdad, one thing to keep in mind. The fans, alums, players, former players, and not even the coaches decided to appeal. It's one thing to knock all of Riverheads for appealing to play down, but we are talking about 1 or 2 people deciding and making this decision. I stand by my earlier opinion in Riverheads. If you could poll every RH fan in the Greenville area and include current and former players, I think the majority would have decided to not not appeal, and relish the ability to play Class 2.
Then I can only assume the gladiator faithful will be at the next school board meeting en masse demanding that the administration and athletic department rescind the appeal and welcome the opportunity to play sports in their rightful class 2 division?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT