ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads destroying the #1 team in 2A

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Congrats to Riverheads, up like 35 to 13 over the undefeated #1 2A team, Central W.

Well done, not really a surprise, maybe the complete dominance part.

Most of us besides a few wild fans knew the odds were slim to defeat the powerful Red Machine.

Respect to those that run that machine.

The odds are definitely slim but hey #1 UVA lost in the 1st round of the NCAA March Madness basketball tourney last year to a 16th seed so I guess anything is possible....

Let’s not overhype what Central is/was. They are a contender in Region B of Division 2A. They have some very good ball players and should have a solid run in the playoffs. My opinion is that they are not quite as good as East Rock but there are parts and pieces there that could certainly beat them on any given Friday night. With that said I gotta say they have a few players with composure issues though and I don’t care if I get blasted for saying it. Talent alone doesn’t make you a player to be feared. Win with class and lose with it.

@Appo3, no argument here. Still pretty nice win for the Red team. I am guessing there are 30ish Division 2A schools that would love to be considered in the top 8.

Central got a good team, Riverheads got a good team also I thought 22 for central was heck of a ball carrier. Time will tell how good they are in 2a but just keep thinking they are the 8th best team. I would say top 4

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
It all comes down to discipline and Riverheads is the most disciplined team I've ever watched. Congrats Red team

Riverheads reminds me of the Goochland team that defeated Essex's offensive juggernaut in the 2012 state title game.

Goochland won on unreal discipline, power, and great coaching (prep and strategy).

No need to get into Essex's own issues that day.

Point is discipline and strength can defeat skill players and speed without discipline.

Central is better than East Rock .imo . Big Red is not the same team as when they played ER . Few teams in 1A, 2A want the Red Team now . Congrats to the Gladiators !

Let’s not overhype what Central is/was. They are a contender in Region B of Division 2A. They have some very good ball players and should have a solid run in the playoffs. My opinion is that they are not quite as good as East Rock but there are parts and pieces there that could certainly beat them on any given Friday night. With that said I gotta say they have a few players with composure issues though and I don’t care if I get blasted for saying it. Talent alone doesn’t make you a player to be feared. Win with class and lose with it.

No overhyping needed- Riverheads destroyed the #1 team in 2A. That is a factual statement.

Central is ranked the #1 team in 2A by this website which is the only true poll we have anymore (we used to have an AP poll but that stopped many years ago). Thanks to Va Preps for doing it.

I am glad for Riverheads - you represent 1A - and that is what I support. Enjoy it - I love it when the "little guy" takes down the big boys.

Reactions: matthew328826
Central is better than East Rock .imo . Big Red is not the same team as when they played ER . Few teams in 1A, 2A want the Red Team now . Congrats to the Gladiators !
I disagree. East Rock's D-line is better and J'wan Evans might be the best RB in 2A other than the kid from Ridgeview. East Rock is not as complete a team as Glenvar, Poquoson, or Ridgeview, but I think they are better than Central.

You guys have hit the highlights but here is my usual detailed recap. Just talk amongst yourselves if I get distracted occasionally by the World Series, which is in the 11th inning over in the other room.

First of all, count me among the ones that worried about the weather all day long and wondered how wise it would be for anyone to play tonight. I can't speak for anyone else's game but the rain really was not a huge factor in this one. It poured on me driving my 15 miles to the game, but then it seemed to taper off for most of the action, before giving us a pretty good dousing through most of the fourth quarter. Was everybody chilled to the bone by the time they left? You betcha, but did it really impact the game? Not that much really.

The story lines of this game could be summed up in about four crucial stats: 1) One of the most determined offensive games I have ever seen in my life from RHS' running back Zac Smiley (and he is only a sophomore folks!); 2) An almost as impressive defensive game from the Gladiators' Justin McWhorter, who also quarterbacked the Big Red: 3) Three turnovers committed by Central, all of which the Gladiators turned directly into touchdowns; and 4) A number of crucial penalties committed by the Falcons that stymied what could have been scoring drives to make it more of a game.

Things started off slowly for the Big Red as they fielded the opening kickoff but went three and out. On the punt, Central pulled a little razzle dazzle with a reverse and Blanton (right name is it?) took it down the sidelines from 58 yards out, just 2 1/2 minutes into the game. Riverheads then got a nice kickoff return from Smiley to give themselves a short field, and they quickly drove it in for the equalizer. Devin Morris ran it in from about five yards out and the first of five Peyton Skillman PAT's tied things up at 7-7.

Central struck again quickly, this time through the air from 55 yards out. The play was on the far side of the field from my viewpoint but it appeared as if the Riverheads defender had a bead on it and may have even tipped it into the hands of the receiver, but whatever happened, Central took a 13-7 lead. However, the line-drive PAT was just under the crossbar and we all started to wonder if that missed kick might come back to haunt the visitors. Little did we know that the Gladiators were about to take over the game and make that missed kick a non-factor.

First of all, the Gladiators got another decent kick off return. Once again, still in the first quarter, they drove it in for the go-ahead score. Smiley scored the first of his F-O-U-R TDs, running it in from about 3 yards out, and Skillman put the Big Red ahead to stay.

The Gladiators then forced Turnover Number One early in the second quarter as McWhorter batted a pass to himself and hauled it in around his own 35. Then on about the third or fourth play following the INT, Smiley turned in the play of the game if not the season. He started off with a sweep around left end, a play that usually nets him 10-15 yards.

However he broke the first containment, and around the Central 40, he had two defenders closing in on him ready to take him down or force him out of bounds. Instead he faked the first one out of his jock, and then amazingly hurtled the second one and raced the rest of the way untouched to complete the 58 yard TD. That score sent the Big Red into the locker room ahead 21-13.

Central took the second half kickoff and their body language almost told you that they were determined to get back into the game. They were well on their way to a possible tying TD, and made it down to the RHS 30 before back to back penalties, one of them being a chop block, stopped them in their tracks. Blanton then fumbled a pitchout, McWhorter pounced on it, and the Gladiators were on their way to TD number 4.

Smiley again got the honors as he swept left end from about 40 yards out. Again Central had a defender in front of him, appearing to be in PERFECT position to make the tackle around the five and save the touchdown. But Smiley, out of sheer determination, just bowled him over and waltzed in to the end zone.

Moments later came Turnover Number Three which was a tag-team effort. First Bryan Hostetler rushed the Central QB and hit his arm just as he released the pass. That caused the ball to travel roughly halfway its intended distance and RHS' Blake Smith enjoyed a "Look What I Found" while lying flat on his back.

The Gladiators then drove about 50 yards for their final TD of the game, with Smiley running it in from one yard out. Everybody in the stadium knew the Falcons had the firepower to come back from three scores down and they did in fact close the gap to 35-19 with almost 10 minutes left in the game. But when they elected to try for two at that point, and the Gladiators stopped them cold, you sort of had the feeling that was it for the visitors.

They did however get one more crack at it in the final five minutes or so but a fourth down pass fell incomplete in the end zone and the Gladiators closed it out from there.

So it goes into the record books as one of those wins that might not have been so surprising in terms of who won, but the margin likely surprised quite a few folks. RHS will wrap up the regular season next week at Page and then will receive a bye before hosting most likely Altavista on Friday night the 16th in the second round of the Class One, Region B playoffs.

Central will likely bounce back and still make some noise in the Region B, 2-A ranks. In fact, that showdown between them and East Rock will remain a distinct possibility.

Meanwhile, over in the other room, they are heading into the 13th, but heck............some of us have to work tomorrow, so UVa's Chris Taylor will just have to win it in the bottom of the 19th on a grand slam without me.

(What??????????? You guys didn't know I was psychic??????????)

I disagree. East Rock's D-line is better and J'wan Evans might be the best RB in 2A other than the kid from Ridgeview. East Rock is not as complete a team as Glenvar, Poquoson, or Ridgeview, but I think they are better than Central.
I agree that ER may not be as complete but they are pretty dang stout across the board. I do think the chink in their armor is edge contain on teams with speed. I am not talking about average high school speed, they can eat that alive. They may struggle with a team that can consistently get the edge, so far only a few have shown they have the speed to do it so I understand how rare it is.

All the teams you mentioned have that though as does Appo. I do think ER will be in Salem to play Glenvar but that is so far away and plenty of things can happen between then and now.

As Mike Tyson said many moons ago, everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth. So far nobody has hit them like that but they will be tested at some point and I am curious how they react. My opinion it will be deep in the playoffs before they are challenged at all.

Reactions: obguthr
Hey hey hey guys and gals!!!!!! I just saw the World Series score and you gotta admit I was not THAT far off! I just missed it by one inning, one player, and three runs. Pretty good huh?

So for my next trick......Dodgers will break open a close game tonight with a big 7th inning and will win 7-2 to make things really interesting.

Hey hey hey guys and gals!!!!!! I just saw the World Series score and you gotta admit I was not THAT far off! I just missed it by one inning, one player, and three runs. Pretty good huh?

So for my next trick......Dodgers will break open a close game tonight with a big 7th inning and will win 7-2 to make things really interesting.
i was almost right with the 4 prediction TURNOVERS, as for the world series go RED SOX and GO BIG RED, the play of the year for big red is on facebook

i was almost right with the 4 prediction TURNOVERS, as for the world series go RED SOX and GO BIG RED, the play of the year for big red is on facebook

Looks like I need to go back to reporting things AFTER they happen instead of before. Looks like your Sox will have it all wrapped up pretty soon.

As for that Smiley video, that play is not the hurdle play is it? Isn't this the one in which he just bowled over the one guy that was between him and the goal line? In other words, the third of his four TDs, the one that made it 28-13?

This ia a long ways off & but I would love to see Rapp match up vs Riverheads. They present match up problems for a lot of teams which has been the cause for their success

Galax player jumped over a guy in the Auburn game and he got a 15 yard penalty for doing so.....i have a great picture of the play but I don't know how to upload it here

Last edited:
Reactions: Optimal62
Galax player jumped over a guy in the Auburn game and he got a 15 yard penalty for doing so.....i have a great picture of the play but I don't know how to upload it here
Refs don't know the rules ! Pretty sure that rule has been changed . Correct me if I am wrong .

Looks like I need to go back to reporting things AFTER they happen instead of before. Looks like your Sox will have it all wrapped up pretty soon.

As for that Smiley video, that play is not the hurdle play is it? Isn't this the one in which he just bowled over the one guy that was between him and the goal line? In other words, the third of his four TDs, the one that made it 28-13?
she had 2 videos on the post, so it posted 2 videos and the second one is the one he jumped over the guy, both videos are 2 great runs

Funny you should mention that. A Riverheads JV player was penalized this season also for hurdling a player. So when it happened in the varsity game Friday night, some of us wondered why it was not flagged.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
No overhyping needed- Riverheads destroyed the #1 team in 2A. That is a factual statement.

Central is ranked the #1 team in 2A by this website which is the only true poll we have anymore (we used to have an AP poll but that stopped many years ago). Thanks to Va Preps for doing it.

I am glad for Riverheads - you represent 1A - and that is what I support. Enjoy it - I love it when the "little guy" takes down the big boys.

how is that a factual statement?

Glenvar, Appo, and several other schools would take issue with that

Congrats to Riverheads, up like 35 to 13 over the undefeated #1 2A team, Central W.

Well done, not really a surprise, maybe the complete dominance part.

Correct, it shouldn’t be that big of surprise since they should be 2A themselves.

maybe continue to look at the next.....oh never mind.

By what metric was CW the top team in 2A? They arent. East Rock beat Riverheads, convincingly, and they are a 2A school. And teams like Glenvar, Appo, Graham, etc... would all beg to differ.

That Chilbunch done growed up . They be the realdeal . Red Team just well forfeit . lol

no one said that. I said Chilhowie is much better than last year and won't simply roll over for the ALMIGHTY RIVERHEADS!!!!!!!!!

How bout Riverheads stops skirting the numbers and play in 2A? We saw what happened when they played the one of the top 3-4 teams in 2A in East Rock.

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT