ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads/Georgia Connection (well sort of............)

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Some of you guys may already be familiar with the website www.nfhsnetwork.com. It covers a variety of high school sports across the country and is a paid subscription service that allows you to watch individual games or tournaments. I think it covers our annual basketball tournament at VCU and maybe some football playoffs as well.

Anyway, I was given a tip over the weekend telling me that a very distant relative of mine (so distant that I couldn't explain it if I tried!) was competing in the Group 4-A state semi-finals in Georgia Friday night or Saturday and that if his team won, they would get to play for the state championship this upcoming Saturday in the Georgia Dome. Well his school (Cartersville) did win 38-7, and my source of information (his grandmother who still lives in Greenville) says she will be going to the title game.

The kid's name is Trevor Lawrence and he is a 6'5" sophomore quarterback who threw for over 3,000 yards last year as a freshman. She tells me that he has already received 15 Division 1 scholarship offers.

As for where the Riverheads connection comes in, and granted it is a stretch, his father was 6'7" and briefly played basketball for Riverheads in the mid to late 80s, I would estimate. He transferred to Fishburne Military and played his senior year there. So if his career path had not taken him further south and he had stuck around here like so many of us do, we could possibly be looking forward to two more years of this passing whiz playing for the Big Red!

Check out that website and even if you don't have any interest in this story, it might be a good source for the future for other events.

Reactions: Bama1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT