ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads vs Galax

Galax does not have the big defensive line this year. Athletic, but still undersized and young. What they do have is two outstanding linebackers, and a good secondary.

Even though no disrespect to Galax, Galax just doesn't have the talent to overcome RH this year. RH by 3 to 4 tds and sets a state record with 5 straight titles.

RH vs Galax is a potential classic rivalry these 2 are near this position year in and year out. They seemingly have the ability to at least make the semis every year. So that creates the possibility for these giants of 1A football meeting up for the prize of prizes each season more and more logical. Each have seen success against the other with RH holding the lead in the series so far and if memory serves it's usually by a sizeable margin. Galax's title victory over THE BIG RED MACHINE was a 1 point affair if I'm not mistaken. And that was an extremely good Maroon Tide team that's not to say this group isn't just that I don't think they are as good as that group. Now I know that was years ago and both are fielding totally new teams but there is just something about RH. The system is built to breed success it's made to be plug and play as long as the kids have the work ethic to achieve the goals set for them. And that doesn't seem to be a problem this team is like a fine wine they get better with age and so does the HOF Coach they have in the sideline. To me that and the level of competition they've played will make all of the difference in this one ( plus it doesn't hurt to be hosting the state title game at home) Galax only play one good team all year and I know I know "Of course that's who you think is the one good team Galax played" and you're correct Holston is that one team. FC was better than expected but still not good enough. GW was just not good we have some bright spots like our QB but we weren't good this year. Narrows is good but there are levels to good. And Holston was the only team at that next level. Who you play mekes you who you are and for Galax's sake they played the best team at the right point Holston made Galax better last week but I don't think it made them good enough to beat big red at home for it all. And I really hope I'm wrong here I don't think it'll be close

RH-56 Galax-21

Sorry for the really long post but I've missed you guy's. Feel free to rib away and serve up any crow I may have forgotten to eat.

RH vs Galax is a potential classic rivalry these 2 are near this position year in and year out. They seemingly have the ability to at least make the semis every year. So that creates the possibility for these giants of 1A football meeting up for the prize of prizes each season more and more logical. Each have seen success against the other with RH holding the lead in the series so far and if memory serves it's usually by a sizeable margin. Galax's title victory over THE BIG RED MACHINE was a 1 point affair if I'm not mistaken. And that was an extremely good Maroon Tide team that's not to say this group isn't just that I don't think they are as good as that group. Now I know that was years ago and both are fielding totally new teams but there is just something about RH. The system is built to breed success it's made to be plug and play as long as the kids have the work ethic to achieve the goals set for them. And that doesn't seem to be a problem this team is like a fine wine they get better with age and so does the HOF Coach they have in the sideline. To me that and the level of competition they've played will make all of the difference in this one ( plus it doesn't hurt to be hosting the state title game at home) Galax only play one good team all year and I know I know "Of course that's who you think is the one good team Galax played" and you're correct Holston is that one team. FC was better than expected but still not good enough. GW was just not good we have some bright spots like our QB but we weren't good this year. Narrows is good but there are levels to good. And Holston was the only team at that next level. Who you play mekes you who you are and for Galax's sake they played the best team at the right point Holston made Galax better last week but I don't think it made them good enough to beat big red at home for it all. And I really hope I'm wrong here I don't think it'll be close

RH-56 Galax-21

Sorry for the really long post but I've missed you guy's. Feel free to rib away and serve up any crow I may have forgotten to eat.
Been way too long not seeing you in here, hope all is well with you brother. Not going to lie, I think your score casts a ton of shade on two very good defenses. You been right a good many times but this one just might be tighter sledding for both teams than anyone wants to admit. I just hope to get to see it.

RH-56 Galax-21

Galax beat Riverheads by 1 in 2015, lost 63 to 21 in 2016 i think and lost by a TD in last years state game so 2 out of 3 were close games. Not saying this year will be close but we still have to line up and play the game. Hopefully we can shock everyone and pull off the win at Riverheads.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Thanks for the correction and like I said I truly hope I'm wrong I'd love to the Tide bring it back to SWVA. And if anyone is going to beat RH in 1A it's Galaxi think the pass game for Galax could decide this one. If they can get it going early things will get interesting if RH can stop or slow it down it might get out of hand. And penalties have to be kept to a minimum here Galax has to make RH beat them and not beat themselves.

Been way too long not seeing you in here, hope all is well with you brother. Not going to lie, I think your score casts a ton of shade on two very good defenses. You been right a good many times but this one just might be tighter sledding for both teams than anyone wants to admit. I just hope to get to see it.
Thanks man and I'm glad to be back. And all is well been living in Charlotte and enjoying what HS football I could. This garbage we're all dealing with limited that a bit but still got to watch some kill football. And I didn't post here cause I felt I had no place to do so. As I couldn't dedicate the time I had in previous years to all things VA football so I sat back and watched from a far. And no shade intended I just feel RH is a different beast from anything the Tide has seen this season. But Galax is the one team in 1A I think can give them a game if anyone can I just don't think 1A has an answer for the Big Red Machine. And hell idk if many in 2A would lol something special is in the water up your way and those kids seem to drink a lot of it. I'm with you I hope it's a slobber knocker from go and we get a classic to close this "season" . Either way I'm just happy to have football back and that these young men get to have a senior season and us fans get to enjoy it. Again glad to be back

Thanks for the correction and like I said I truly hope I'm wrong I'd love to the Tide bring it back to SWVA. And if anyone is going to beat RH in 1A it's Galaxi think the pass game for Galax could decide this one. If they can get it going early things will get interesting if RH can stop or slow it down it might get out of hand. And penalties have to be kept to a minimum here Galax has to make RH beat them and not beat themselves.
I might not be exactly right on those scores but I think they were pretty close, I know some of the guys on here know for sure what the scores were

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
What radio station is that carries Riverheads games?
espn 1240 the boss, youtube will have the game footballmomof 5 does a really good job on the games, better then the network u have to pay for, glad i was able to get 1 ticket, should be a great game a qb that has a great arm and can run vs a strong rushing attack with 6 or 7 or more rbs with diff a diff style running game. keep the streak rolling GO BIG RED

toooo many mistakes . Riverheads better clean it up ! Coaches better set a fire under those young kids or they will be the team that broke the winning streak . Did not make the game but watched on tv . Riverheads is not good . jmo
Your right. They're not good... they're great! Easily the best program in Class 1 for the last decade.

come on over to the top row of bleachers, in 1 section there is 3 that is on va preps, and fence patrol is at the fence if he can get a ticket, this will be my first game this year
maybe the hide and seek champion will show up as well and make himself known

It’s like going to the family reunion and listening to your annoying uncle tell the same story you’ve heard 40 times before.

Reactions: Bama1985
How is Jer doing ?
he is getting there, had kidney stone surgery and a stint put in, gets the stint taken out tues, so he will have to watch the game from home, thanks for asking, he asks about u all the time and willing to take u out for lunch, did u get a ticket, sold out in 10 minutes

I have not yet read any post-game comments but it seemed to me as if the refs were decent in the first half but a little flag-happy down the stretch.

Reactions: Bama1985
2021 Virginia Spring Football Champions
@OscarSmithFB
@SalemSpartans
@ACHS_Raiders
@StoneBridgeFB
@VaPrepsRivals
@LHSRamFootball
E0WHNIyXIAA0hOw

Except all of the holding calls that they missed every other play
Really? What about the chop blocks from Riverheads line almost every play. The block in the backs on most of the long runs. Smiley hit a guy in the back on the second td pass. It is what it is. Riverheads was the better team yesterday no sense I making it any different. A 34 point explosion in the second quarter was the difference. The interception was huge turned out to be a 14 point swing. Once that avalanche fell on them it was tough sledding.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Been cordial so far but come on. You want the chop called on RH but if they would have called it at all, then Galax would have been called several times too. Anyone with eyesight could see no one could handle #26 off the edge, he was held consistently to keep him from getting to Pickett. When we changed the DT to a bigger kid and he was getting penetration, same thing. There were a few blocks that were questionable but that again could have been about an even number of those called. The white hat was horrible and to be honest, the ball was spotted incorrectly a ton. Several times that cost first downs to both teams. I had heard that this officiating crew was the better of the two between our game and Draft/Appo. Either way I can’t see any of the missed or blatantly ignored calls changing the outcome, period.

Reactions: RedPride81
Been cordial so far but come on. You want the chop called on RH but if they would have called it at all, then Galax would have been called several times too. Anyone with eyesight could see no one could handle #26 off the edge, he was held consistently to keep him from getting to Pickett. When we changed the DT to a bigger kid and he was getting penetration, same thing. There were a few blocks that were questionable but that again could have been about an even number of those called. The white hat was horrible and to be honest, the ball was spotted incorrectly a ton. Several times that cost first downs to both teams. I had heard that this officiating crew was the better of the two between our game and Draft/Appo. Either way I can’t see any of the missed or blatantly ignored calls changing the outcome, period.
We have different opinion on blocking 26 because i thought Barnes done a hell of a job blocking that beast off the edge.

That’s what I said. Riverheads was the better team. The 34 pint avalanche was the deciding factor. We lost our composure and failed in assignments. And #10 Barnes did a hell of a job on #26. I saw #26 go backwards a few times.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
That’s what I said. Riverheads was the better team. The 34 pint avalanche was the deciding factor. We lost our composure and failed in assignments. And #10 Barnes did a hell of a job on #26. I saw #26 go backwards a few times.
And I seen him get held three straight plays in the third and half a dozen more throughout the game. Overall it was a clean game so I hate to bring that crap up but it was clear the officials weren’t calling any holding. Full disclosure they didn’t call PI a time or two that I felt is was warranted. Hell they even missed a delay of game on 4th down as well that resulted in a 1st down. Simple procedural things were a challenge for that group. Certainly not the level of competency that we have come to expect in playoff games.

Reactions: RedPride81
And I seen him get held three straight plays in the third and half a dozen more throughout the game. Overall it was a clean game so I hate to bring that crap up but it was clear the officials weren’t calling any holding. Full disclosure they didn’t call PI a time or two that I felt is was warranted. Hell they even missed a delay of game on 4th down as well that resulted in a 1st down. Simple procedural things were a challenge for that group. Certainly not the level of competency that we have come to expect in playoff games.
Agreed. The referee this year have been pretty sad. Spotting the ball seems to really be a problem. I feel too many of these guys end up game watching instead of doing their job.

My biggest gripe yesterday with the officials was about something that for some reason has not even cropped up in high school football until about the last five years, and now that it has, we see it half a dozen times a year. I am referring to this annoying habit of the officials PICKING UP THE BALL and carrying it across the field or handing it from one to the other after a close play, and THEN deciding to measure for a first down!

That blows my mind. Surely it is Officiating 101 that after an obviously close run or pass, somebody spots the ball and not only leaves it where the hell it is, but I have even seen refs hold it down to make sure the wind doesn't alter it until they can measure. Am I right or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

The other things you guys are mentioning are going to be missed occasionally in any game because there are sooooooo many things to watch while the ball is in play. But the thing I am talking about is inexcusable to me because the ball is dead at that point and they only have that one issue (first down or not?) to focus on.

Does this happen all across the state or have we just been "lucky" to see it as many times as we have?

My biggest gripe yesterday with the officials was about something that for some reason has not even cropped up in high school football until about the last five years, and now that it has, we see it half a dozen times a year. I am referring to this annoying habit of the officials PICKING UP THE BALL and carrying it across the field or handing it from one to the other after a close play, and THEN deciding to measure for a first down!

That blows my mind. Surely it is Officiating 101 that after an obviously close run or pass, somebody spots the ball and not only leaves it where the hell it is, but I have even seen refs hold it down to make sure the wind doesn't alter it until they can measure. Am I right or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

The other things you guys are mentioning are going to be missed occasionally in any game because there are sooooooo many things to watch while the ball is in play. But the thing I am talking about is inexcusable to me because the ball is dead at that point and they only have that one issue (first down or not?) to focus on.

Does this happen all across the state or have we just been "lucky" to see it as many times as we have?
I think you are right on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT