ADVERTISEMENT

RIVERHEADS @ WEST POINT

Yep 2000 and 2019. Lost to Wilson 2006, Draft 2010 and 2016, Lee and Woodstock back to back in 2017, and East Rock in 2018.

I knew it was 2 or 3. But I had forgotten Central.

And in some cases, they may have been outmatched that day, others 50/50, and others would have beaten that team another day.

But it does beg the question, IF they were to lose this or next week (as a big favorite), does that support the argument its better to lose? I've never believed that, but there are folks who do

I knew it was 2 or 3. But I had forgotten Central.

And in some cases, they may have been outmatched that day, others 50/50, and others would have beaten that team another day.

But it does beg the question, IF they were to lose this or next week (as a big favorite), does that support the argument its better to lose? I've never believed that, but there are folks who do
I know the years they lost, they seemed to turn it up a notch after the loss, was that just coincidence? I know against ER, Woodstock, and Staunton, they were definitely quite a bit better. Wilson and both Draft games werent decided until the end of the game, one Draft game went into OT. Did those close losses help us in the playoffs? Honestly I think playing Draft, most years, helps because we dont see any team with that kind of speed and size once the playoffs start. I think it definitely helps Riverheads playing mostly 2A and 3A teams during the regular season, win or lose, and then face 1A teams come playoff time. Thats just my opinion and you know what they say about that.

I see where people are coming from but the reality is that teams that are favored get beat at times even when you wouldn’t have thought it possible. I specifically remember the Gladiators losing to a good but not great King William team at home in 2014 28-27 on the only missed extra point of the year. To be clear that wasn’t on the final play or anything so I don’t want to emphasize that too much just reference the slim margin. My point is that coming into that game, there was not a thought that Riverheads would not advance past that round. Games sometimes take on a different look/feel than anyone expects. That’s what gets the blood flowing and adrenaline surging. Good luck to all the teams still competing and letting old farts live vicariously through them.

With Saturdays conclusion obviously forgone. I would think RH would rest their starters and key backups in preparation for hosting the State Championship game vs Galax.

I know the years they lost, they seemed to turn it up a notch after the loss, was that just coincidence? I know against ER, Woodstock, and Staunton, they were definitely quite a bit better. Wilson and both Draft games werent decided until the end of the game, one Draft game went into OT. Did those close losses help us in the playoffs? Honestly I think playing Draft, most years, helps because we dont see any team with that kind of speed and size once the playoffs start. I think it definitely helps Riverheads playing mostly 2A and 3A teams during the regular season, win or lose, and then face 1A teams come playoff time. Thats just my opinion and you know what they say about that.

I certainly think that playing bigger teams helps them, but in my opinion losing doesn't "help" them. I think playing in close games does, but I don't think that if they had lost to SD 10-7 instead of won that it would make a difference.

The only thing I can say referring to one of those games is that really good teams usually don't have multiple down games (i.e. way off their capabilities). Example you alluded to was ER. They weren't 28 worse than ER that year, they were that night (I was there). If you say they were even 7 points behind ER on a regular night (I think they were at least even by the end), that 21 points make a huge difference later on.

Balls can bounce a funny way, and I don't think that has much to do with an early season win or loss. Of course, some of it does depend on the later competition as well

I certainly think that playing bigger teams helps them, but in my opinion losing doesn't "help" them. I think playing in close games does, but I don't think that if they had lost to SD 10-7 instead of won that it would make a difference.

The only thing I can say referring to one of those games is that really good teams usually don't have multiple down games (i.e. way off their capabilities). Example you alluded to was ER. They weren't 28 worse than ER that year, they were that night (I was there). If you say they were even 7 points behind ER on a regular night (I think they were at least even by the end), that 21 points make a huge difference later on.

Balls can bounce a funny way, and I don't think that has much to do with an early season win or loss. Of course, some of it does depend on the later competition as well
I agree with the ER game, it was on a thur instead of a fri, not really sure what happened. Not surprised ER scored 28, we historically have had some back and forth high scoring games with them. Def a shocker we scored 0, SD 2021 defense they were not. Or 2020 for that matter. They definitely had our number that night.

I agree with the ER game, it was on a thur instead of a fri, not really sure what happened. Not surprised ER scored 28, we historically have had some back and forth high scoring games with them. Def a shocker we scored 0, SD 2021 defense they were not. Or 2020 for that matter. They definitely had our number that night.

If I recall correctly (and I certainly don't have a steel trap memory like longtime), it wasn't even that close.

I went because it was Thursday, and of course being neighbors I knew a lot of folks. Anyway, one was a cheer mom and I told her as soon as I got there that ER was going to win. I didn't expect that kind of game, but they were so talented. After that game and the next week or 2, I would have said Riverheads wins a rematch.

Oh and by the way, that 2020 defense of SD may have been the best ever, 0 points 0 yards 0 TDs. Of course, Riverheads, Bath County, any VA team can boast the same thing lol

If I recall correctly (and I certainly don't have a steel trap memory like longtime), it wasn't even that close.

I went because it was Thursday, and of course being neighbors I knew a lot of folks. Anyway, one was a cheer mom and I told her as soon as I got there that ER was going to win. I didn't expect that kind of game, but they were so talented. After that game and the next week or 2, I would have said Riverheads wins a rematch.

Oh and by the way, that 2020 defense of SD may have been the best ever, 0 points 0 yards 0 TDs. Of course, Riverheads, Bath County, any VA team can boast the same thing lol
Haha, my bad, 2019 I should say. Damn Covid.

Adjustments were made after the ER game that drastically helped the line play. I would love to have seen a rematch that year.

Like I said, I think RH would have won a rematch. And I should clarify, I got there way before the game started, and it had nothing to do with how each team looked pre game. SD hadn't played ER, and RH crushed SD the week before. Maybe it was just this ole football intuition that comes out here and there. In fact, she may have even had a few choice words for me lol

Is 2016 red team the best you guys have had?
Hard to put “Best” label on any year, as each team has had their strengths and weaknesses. 2016 was a very good team that had some standout players on both sides of the ball. I would put this years team up against any of the previous teams and I think they would fair well against any of them. Thats just my opinion because we will never know for sure. Thats the awesome thing about sports, we can have dialogue on scenarios until the cows come home.

Reactions: Bama1985
Speaking of that, of all of the Championships, isn't it only 2 that have been undefeated?
I am pretty sure that is correct. The 2000 team went 14-0 and the 2019 team was a best ever 15-0. All the other title teams had either one or two losses. No more than two I don't believe.

I believe there were better teams in that span that did not win the Championship . jmo
Agree, there were some very good teams that didnt win, one that comes to mind is the 2011 team that lost to eventual state champion Gretna. The 2012 team was pretty darn good too.

Agree, there were some very good teams that didnt win, one that comes to mind is the 2011 team that lost to eventual state champion Gretna. The 2012 team was pretty darn good too.
I believe we went into that game really banged up . QB got hurt in the Goochland game .

Heck of a thread about this upcoming game. When you guys gonna get around to discussing your opponent?

Reactions: Reecesdad
I have no doubt Casto’s got em focused. Just a touch disrespectful to derail the thread about this game into another “remember when” Riverheads thread.
No disrespect intended. We did get sidetracked from the original thread. To be honest I dont know much about West Point except from some of the games I have seen online. Looks like they run a kind of single wing, similar to what Giles used to run. Its just going to be extremely tough for WP to run the football. If Riv has a weakness on defense its against the pass, they have given up several long TD passes. I see that as WPs best option to score. Its just tough to talk about an opponent that you really dont know much about. Best of luck to WP and hope for a clean and injury free game and hopefully mother nature will cooperate and hold the rain off until after the game.

With Saturdays conclusion obviously forgone. I would think RH would rest their starters and key backups in preparation for hosting the State Championship game vs Galax.

About Saturday , can I buy a ticket ?
how do u get a ticket if u dont have a smartphone, u know jer is old old old school, maybe u can get him a couple

No disrespect intended. We did get sidetracked from the original thread. To be honest I dont know much about West Point except from some of the games I have seen online. Looks like they run a kind of single wing, similar to what Giles used to run. Its just going to be extremely tough for WP to run the football. If Riv has a weakness on defense its against the pass, they have given up several long TD passes. I see that as WPs best option to score. Its just tough to talk about an opponent that you really dont know much about. Best of luck to WP and hope for a clean and injury free game and hopefully mother nature will cooperate and hold the rain off until after the game.

I’ve only watched them play twice this year, so we’re probably working off of the same amount of direct info. IMO, WP is going to need to be able to have that off-tackle power run working in order for any type of passing to have a chance. I don’t think WP pounding exclusively will work without some play action to keep the D honest. At this level, it’s all about who is most consistent. Riverheads is EXTREMELY consistent. I hope the weather somehow works in WP’s favor. We’ll take whatever breaks we can get.

Helps to have players at the 1A/2A level :)

Phillips @ Bath
Thornhill @ Altavista
Smiley @ Riverheads
Christian @ Eastern Montgomery
Herndon @ Riverheads
Vic Hall @ Gretna
2009 Essex Team didn't play a close game all year... they had some studs

Helps to have players at the 1A/2A level :)

Phillips @ Bath
Thornhill @ Altavista
Smiley @ Riverheads
Christian @ Eastern Montgomery
Herndon @ Riverheads
Vic Hall @ Gretna
2009 Essex Team didn't play a close game all year... they had some studs
Roane @ West Point
Gill @ West Point
Scheffer @ West Point

Anyone know if the West Point Bleachers are easy access for the disabled ?

Anyone know if the West Point Bleachers are easy access for the disabled ?
Visitor bleachers are not ADA accessible. Home Bleachers are ADA accessible.....However; the terrain is flat, and although it may be a little bumpy when you go off the sidewalk. You should be able to navigate without too much trouble....If you need assistance I'm sure we can get someone a ride in a golf cart or gator.

Visitor bleachers are not ADA accessible. Home Bleachers are ADA accessible.....However; the terrain is flat, and although it may be a little bumpy when you go off the sidewalk. You should be able to navigate without too much trouble....If you need assistance I'm sure we can get someone a ride in a golf cart or gator.
Thanks , Do they have an area for the Mentally Challenged ? There may be a bunch of them. lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT