ADVERTISEMENT

rules of enforcement

Dec 9, 2012
Pass interference on a touchdown play. Defender commit pass interference on a scoring play does offense have the option to take penalty yards on the kickoff?

Originally posted by cpaluch0809:
Pass interference on a touchdown play. Defender commit pass interference on a scoring play does offense have the option to take penalty yards on the kickoff?
Yes. The scoring team has the option of taking any foul committed by the defense during the scoring play or a dea ball foul up until the whistle blown to start the PAT on the PAT or on the kickoff. They do not have to decline the penalty to get the score.

Why is this if it is a live ball foul you take the penalty or the score that is as stupid of a rule to allow them to have both the touchdown and penalty

Defensive pass interference is a live ball foul. Live ball foul or dead ball foul, the scoring team gets the score and penalty.

And actually, it's not a stupid rule. It's an incentive to prevent the defense from taking a cheap shot, knowing the offense would have to decline the penalty to keep the score.

This post was edited on 10/19 1:18 AM by FBRef

So is it a penalty if a kid walks in the end zone?
No, it's not a penalty but small children have no business on the field during a game.

Only football players and football officials should be on the field during a game.

Some schools don't have fences. Unattended children can get away.

Last year my son was sitting on a hill behind an endzone with his middle school friends and someone started throwing a small football around. A security person comes down and tells them if the ball gets away and goes onto the field, the referee will forfeit the game. A threat isn't very effective when even 8th graders roll their eyes and laugh.

As for walking into the endzone. Walking itself is not a form of taunting, but strutting or walking backward, things like that, are taunting and would be flagged. They are unsportsmanlike fouls and penalized like deadball fouls in high school. so the score would count and the penalty would be on the extra point or kickoff, B's option.

This is different from live ball fouls by the defense during a scoring play. FB Ref is correct that it's to prevent a player from having a free shot at an opponent. If a runner breaks free and is clearly on his way to a score, we had guys far behind the play deciding to take their shots because they knew the penalties had to be declined to keep the score. That's what was taken away with the rule that allows defensive fouls to be accepted on scoring plays.

But this was a pass interference and the play was actually called wrong cause the defender was looking back for the bal and had his hand up all this was in the end zone no cheap shot taken but a cheap shot would be a dead ball foul wouldn't it and when I meant kid walking in the end zone I was talking about a player and he kind of did a prime time high step in the end zone not really walked.

It's completely possible to commit pass interference even while looking back at the ball. Please don't listen to announcers on television and think they know how games are called. They have no idea, and prove it game after game. These guys have never had a minute's training in how to officiate a football game but feel free to offer opinions based on shaky or false knowledge of the rules.

DPI in the endzone is still a live ball foul and, like any other live ball foul on the opponent of the scoring team, can be added to the PAT or kickoff. There are also guys who will not throw a flag for DPI if the pass is caught, especially if it's a TD. I tell my crew to flag it if it's there. The reason is because there could be a flag down for an offensive foul -- holding, illegal formation, or others -- and without that flag on the defense the TD comes down and only the offeinse's foul is pealized, simply because the receiver made a great catch while being interfered with. At worst they should offset and allow the down to be replayed.

Regarding the cheap shot aspect, a cheap shot taken before the ball is in the endzone is a live ball foul. Roughing the passer was probably the foul that started the move toward this rule. The NFHS and NCAA simply don't want RTP going unpunished. NCAA only enforced major fouls on the defense during scoring plays, but NFHS doesn't want to make a distinction so any foul by the opponent of a scoring team can be added on.

I don't know if there was a case of a runner breaking free for a 80 yard run and a defensive player realizing he had a few seconds to try to take someone's head off, but in case he did, it's going to cost him.

If ANY player, offensive or defensive, does anything that is deemed as taunting or drawing attention to himself (high stepping into the endzone, making a #1 sign, etc.-- all non-contact fouls) then that's unsportsmanlike conduct which is never administered as a live ball foul under NFHS rules. These would always go on PAT or kickoff. NCAA changed this to live ball enforcement a few years ago when it was considered cool to flip into the endzone, knowing the score would count and not really caring that the kickoff would be 15 yards back. The change has stopped that nonsense because it costs a player his TD.

This post was edited on 10/20 3:37 AM by White hat

But this was a pass interference and the play was actually called wrong cause the defender was looking back for the bal and had his hand up all this was in the end zone no cheap shot taken but a cheap shot would be a dead ball foul wouldn't it and when I meant kid walking in the end zone I was talking about a player and he kind of did a prime time high step in the end zone not really walked.
Don't believe everything you hear on TV, nor do the rules that apply on Saturday or Sunday apply on Friday night. Different rules. There's nothing in the NFHS rule book or case book that says it's not pass interference if the defender is looking back. He can still commit pass interference.

Whether it's a live ball foul or a dead ball foul, the same option exists for the scoring team.

Yes, high stepping into the end zone would be considered unsportsmanlike conduct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT