ADVERTISEMENT

Running up score

AdvocateOfMany434

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 13, 2015
757 Area
I see a lot of folk leaving negative comments about Coach Smith about last nights 81-8 rout over Chatham. I see it on social media (WSET Friday Football FB page). Some Richlands and Amherst fans were banned from Raiders twitter and FB pages.

Anybody that knows me on here knows I have verbalized often about coaches "leaving the dogs in" and how it disgust me.

Coach didnt do this last night. He was subbing in 2nd and 3rd in during 2nd qtr. The whole 2nd half was a majority of our JV team, 4th qtr was all JV. We had people at RB that never touched a snap all year. SMH

Reactions: AntGZee
Should have punted on 1st down like Gretna did against Chatham when the had Vic Hall. No kid should lose 81-8.

If you have backups and jv in and they score then it's not their fault. Those kids practice just as hard as the starters. And if you start punting on 1st down in the 3rd quarter then that isn't solving anything. If starters were left in and this happened I could see. I have personally seen teams have starters still in when up by 70+. But it looks like that wasn't the case here.

When I was in school we won 82-0 in one game. Our starters played 2 series the entire game and 35 points were scored by the jv team as it was the last game of the season. No way you tell those kids to not play hard or take a knee. I'm sorry but at that point it's up to the other team to stop you!!

Obviously I have no dog in this fight but how can you lose respect for Appomattox if it was their 2nd and 3rd teams and jv who did the majority of the scoring. You mean to tell me it's more important to sacrifice the integrity of the game by punting on 1st down in the 2nd or 3rd quarter?How are the reserves going to ever get game experience? Like I said at some point Chatham has to make stops. They aren't the worst team out there anyways.

No dog in the fight but the twitter account named "crapamattox" gave me a good laugh.

If I'm the losing coach, and you punt on first down, or tell you subs to back down, I'm going across the field and tell the winning coach that I'm insulted, and to keep his damn charity.

These types of games happen every year. And we have this same discussion every year. I think the over whelming majority of us believe the same things.

1). You leave your starters in to run up the score, and you are a disgrace to your profession.
2). You call plays in the second half with a running clock to embarrass the opponent, you are a disgrace to your profession.
3). You tell the subs and JV's to do anything less than their best, you are a disgrace to your profession.

If I'm the losing coach, and you punt on first down, or tell you subs to back down, I'm going across the field and tell the winning coach that I'm insulted, and to keep his damn charity.

These types of games happen every year. And we have this same discussion every year. I think the over whelming majority of us believe the same things.

1). You leave your starters in to run up the score, and you are a disgrace to your profession.
2). You call plays in the second half with a running clock to embarrass the opponent, you are a disgrace to your profession.
3). You tell the subs and JV's to do anything less than their best, you are a disgrace to your profession.
Exactly...

Appo's JV team plays a full 10 game schedule -- or 40 quarters. So you're telling us that JV kids played in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters last night and presumably in other lopsided Appo games this year? Sounds interesting

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Appo's JV team plays a full 10 game schedule -- or 40 quarters. So you're telling us that JV kids played in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters last night and presumably in other lopsided Appo games this year? Sounds interesting
But he didn't say how many quarters those JV kids have watched from the sideline of their JV game....interesting still?

81 is running up the score...you boys can call it what you want. When a fan comes on here and tries to justify 81-8 you know their is guilt in the air.

I was in Appomattox today at the football field and parent told me that Kelso scored a TD when the score was 50-0 right before halftime.He said he also didn't like that Appo threw a 80 yard TD Pass with score 67-8.He said he will always be a Appo guy but he felt bad for Chatham.

81 is running up the score...you boys can call it what you want. When a fan comes on here and tries to justify 81-8 you know their is guilt in the air.
I didn't read it as guilt. He was merely trying to shed some light on what happened during the game. Many of us weren't there to see the substitutions. Like it or not, if the opposing team is playing essentially a JV squad in the 2nd half and they still score at will, well, might be time for the coaching staff to seriously evaluate the job they are doing.

I do have a question, I'm not familiar with Chatham's team, are they young? Do they start a bunch of underclassmen?
I only ask because several years back, Smithfield went with a youth movement, damn near the entire starting lineup was full of freshmen, and only a couple of Seniors even saw the field. By their JR and SR years they were returning butt whippings they had received as freshmen and sophomores.

Reactions: obguthr
I was in Appomattox today at the football field and parent told me that Kelso scored a TD when the score was 50-0 right before halftime.He said he also didn't like that Appo threw a 80 yard TD Pass with score 67-8.He said he will always be a Appo guy but he felt bad for Chatham.
That's a good story to share. Up by 59 points and you're throwing...not too cool.

Actually, yes.
I can agree, but conjecture doesn't make it all that "interesting".
The coaches and AD are tasked with ensuring quarters aren't violated.
Insinuations and a buck 50 will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11.

That's a good story to share. Up by 59 points and you're throwing...not too cool.
Now I see you might just be coming around....I talked to a Someone at the game, that didn't have many kind words for Appo coach. I guess being up by 50+ isn't very secure since Appo felt need to pass. Run the ball up the middle......or you could punt. LOL

Reactions: gwb16
Now I see you might just be coming around....I talked to a Someone at the game, that didn't have many kind words for Appo coach. I guess being up by 50+ isn't very secure since Appo felt need to pass. Run the ball up the middle......or you could punt. LOL
That's a "game changer" for me. If they bust an inside trap for an 80 yard score, oh well, but still passing? Ugh...not a good look.

Reactions: obguthr
I feel bad for Chatham too. But...? Dinwiddie had Colonial Heights down 55-6 at the half. Subs had as much playing time as the starters in the first half. Score ended up 69-14, via subs in the second half. What do you tell the defender when he intercepts a pass? Don't try to run with the ball? Fall down? How about when you call "3 yards and a cloud of dust" plays over the guard, and nobody touches you. Stop running and let them catch up to you?

Hoos, if they left all key players in to pad statistics, then I'm with you. If the coaches on the winning team managed it appropriately, then yeah, it's ok. Sometimes it just can't be avoided.

A couple of years ago LC Bird beat Armstrong 77-0, I think. A couple of posters were blasting away at Coach Bedwell. The man put everybody in the game, including his great grandmother. The miracle was that he was able to hold the score down that much.

Nobody on either side ever wants these matchups. But they happen. You win, you lose, you go on. It's as simple as that. They don't get scheduled for the easy win, or to take a devastating whipping. It's almost always a district thing. 8-0 or 88-0. You get it over and you move on.

Last edited:
From viewing box score I don't think Appomattox ran up score. I don't think Coach Smith would run up score. Chatham just had no defense.
Many people think it's better to run ball in high school than throw it. Thus nothing wrong with passing in a blow out. Especially if backup QB is in game.

GWB, off topic, but your Packers may need to beat Grafton back to back, at their house. Tall order. Best of luck.

Reactions: gwb16
I feel bad for Chatnam too. But...? Dinwiddie had Colonial Heights down 55-6 at the half. Subs had as much playing time as the starters in the first half. Score ended up 69-14, via subs in the second half. What do you tell the defender when he intercepts a pass? Don't try to run with the ball? Fall down? How about when you call "3 yards and a cloud of dust" plays over the guard, and nobody touches you. Stop running and let them catch up to you?

Hoos, if they left all key players in to pad statistics, then I'm with you. If the coaches on the winning team managed it appropriately, then yeah, it's ok. Sometimes it just can't be avoided.

A couple of years ago LC Bird beat Armstrong 77-0, I think. A couple of posters were blasting away at Coach Bedwell. The man put everybody in the game, including his great grandmother. The miracle was that he was able to hold the score down that much.

Nobody on either side ever wants these matchups. But they happen. You win, you lose, you go on. It's as simple as that. They don't get scheduled for the easy win, or to take a devastating whipping. It's almost always a district thing. 8-0 or 88-0. You get it over and you move on.
I agree and I'm on the fence about this one but do you pass up 67-8?

Reactions: obguthr and gwb16
GWB, off topic, but your Packers may need to beat Grafton back to back, at their house. Tall order. Best of luck.
It's my understanding that Friday's winner hosts the loser the following week. It's tough to beat Grafton at Bailey Field. If the Packers can pull off a big win next Friday, it'll be even tougher to beat them the following week at The Pigpen. I think these next two weeks will show what the Packer coaching staff is made of, they've made some marvelous strides after the embarrassing Week 1 debacle at Kings Fork. Grafton is playing exceptionally well, Ryan Pablon is playing lights out at RB for the Clippers. Two very stout defenses. I'm pissed that I'm going to be stuck at work, still on that dreaded 1800-0600 shift for at least 2 more weeks.

Well Appomattox had us 57-6 at halftime and they played backups entire 2nd half on offense but most of their staters stayed on defense. They could've easily scored 57 more if they wanted to but didn't. I don't think it was intentional but when players that never play a second gets the chance to play, how do you tell them not to play hard?

It's my understanding that Friday's winner hosts the loser the following week. It's tough to beat Grafton at Bailey Field. If the Packers can pull off a big win next Friday, it'll be even tougher to beat them the following week at The Pigpen. I think these next two weeks will show what the Packer coaching staff is made of, they've made some marvelous strides after the embarrassing Week 1 debacle at Kings Fork. Grafton is playing exceptionally well, Ryan Pablon is playing lights out at RB for the Clippers. Two very stout defenses. I'm pissed that I'm going to be stuck at work, still on that dreaded 1800-0600 shift for at least 2 more weeks.

Good Lord man. Do you even remember what a normal life was like? I thought you were back to regular stuff weeks ago.

Good Lord man. Do you even remember what a normal life was like? I thought you were back to regular stuff weeks ago.
No. I had one 40 hour week when I got back "home", that was 3-11, I don't know what my retinas will do when I finally see actual sunshine. Week 7 of 9 in the books. I think I can, I think I can....I'm not as young as I used to be, might be time to let some of these younger kids have a crack at the mids. It's wearing me down. LOL!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
By the looks of the box score the 80 yd td pass was by Chatham. No Appo player got more than 7 carries and 10 of their points in the 2nd half came off a FG and pick 6. Doesnt look to me like it was running the score up especially if the backups were in and thats what it looks like to me.
Good.Appo Coach seems like a class act from everything I've read about him throughout the years,He deserves benefit of doubt.

I have been around Appo football a very long time and as a fan/supporter, I have been on both sides of big losses. One that comes to mind was several years back in our Seminole days when Amherst was winning state titles. We couldn't stop their 3rd string much less the Rose boys and rest of the squad;their program was just that much better than ours at that time. They didn't run it up then nor did we Friday.
The balance facing coaches during these times are this
#1; Working your starters enough time to be ready for future game shape(we have 4A Amherst this week )
#2; Substituting with other non-starters and JV while not exceeding the 40 quarter rules. Appo coaches keep up with who is available each week relative to quarters. This is the only good thing about JV injuries...you sometimes have quarters to burn if and when they make it back.
#3; Saving starters from injury and
#4; Not running up the score.
Another small factor that kept some starters in more than just one quarter was it was Senior night and we have 22 Seniors.If you keep up with our team however you know that our players don't lead in area stats....Why? Partially because our Defense and Special Teams usually do really well and give is great field position but also due to the fact that we are currently very deep with backs and spread it around between 4 guys (Fleshman,Walker,Kelso and Kelso)
If you look at how many passes Scruggs averages it's substantially less than 15 per game( more like 8-9)so he needs the work.Regardless most all starters were out after 1st half.
Coach Smith knows Coach Allen very well from them both working in FCA Summer camps together. He stated after the game of his respect for Coach Allen and in his belief that he will build a very good Chatham program in years to come. In no disrespect to Chatham we would have much rather them have been a tougher game or we would have rather played a tougher team leading up to the season finale against Amherst and preparing for playoffs. Bottom line,the score looks bad just because it is bad,but if you know Coach Smith, if you know the available players on our Varsity and JV....you know Coach wouldn't and didn't intentionally run the score up. Enough already on the subject; now to get prepared for a speedy and tough Amherst team. This should make for a great high school football game.

Just a couple of things in general from my experience from listening to every Richlands game over the past 10 years or so...

The "JV" players - the avg. person (and even some seasoned radio guys) automatically says the JV took the place of the starters, when what REALLY happened was the 2nd string came in. I NEVER trust the "the JV" line.

"Running up the score" - it doesn't matter what the score is, the kid on the field should be giving 100%. If it's a 3rd stringer who catches a short screen and jukes a guy for an 80 yard TD, that's NOT RUTS. Richlands' final TD Friday night was a short run by a Soph. on his 1st varsity carry. I've only thought Mance was "RUTS" a couple of times over the years - both were to get the margin back over 35 to get the game over quicker.

Can't wait to see how the ratings points shake out Friday night!

All things considered, this doesn't look like running up the score to me. Punting on first down or taking a knee when there is plenty of time on the clock is insulting to the fans and the opposing team. I'm glad Appo didn't do this. Subbing in the 2nd and 3rd string is the right thing to do, and that's what they did.

If Chatham is rebuilding or breaking in a new coach, I can understand how this happens. I hope they are better next year. If the coach has been there for a few years and this continues to happen, it's time for a new coach.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
All things considered, this doesn't look like running up the score to me. Punting on first down or taking a knee when there is plenty of time on the clock is insulting to the fans and the opposing team. I'm glad Appo didn't do this. Subbing in the 2nd and 3rd string is the right thing to do, and that's what they did.

If Chatham is rebuilding or breaking in a new coach, I can understand how this happens. I hope they are better next year. If the coach has been there for a few years and this continues to happen, it's time for a new coach.

I wonder what Chatham's coach did two weeks ago when they beat Nelson 42-6? Just saying...

I have been around Appo football a very long time and as a fan/supporter, I have been on both sides of big losses. One that comes to mind was several years back in our Seminole days when Amherst was winning state titles. We couldn't stop their 3rd string much less the Rose boys and rest of the squad;their program was just that much better than ours at that time. They didn't run it up then nor did we Friday.
The balance facing coaches during these times are this
#1; Working your starters enough time to be ready for future game shape(we have 4A Amherst this week )
#2; Substituting with other non-starters and JV while not exceeding the 40 quarter rules. Appo coaches keep up with who is available each week relative to quarters. This is the only good thing about JV injuries...you sometimes have quarters to burn if and when they make it back.
#3; Saving starters from injury and
#4; Not running up the score.
Another small factor that kept some starters in more than just one quarter was it was Senior night and we have 22 Seniors.If you keep up with our team however you know that our players don't lead in area stats....Why? Partially because our Defense and Special Teams usually do really well and give is great field position but also due to the fact that we are currently very deep with backs and spread it around between 4 guys (Fleshman,Walker,Kelso and Kelso)
If you look at how many passes Scruggs averages it's substantially less than 15 per game( more like 8-9)so he needs the work.Regardless most all starters were out after 1st half.
Coach Smith knows Coach Allen very well from them both working in FCA Summer camps together. He stated after the game of his respect for Coach Allen and in his belief that he will build a very good Chatham program in years to come. In no disrespect to Chatham we would have much rather them have been a tougher game or we would have rather played a tougher team leading up to the season finale against Amherst and preparing for playoffs. Bottom line,the score looks bad just because it is bad,but if you know Coach Smith, if you know the available players on our Varsity and JV....you know Coach wouldn't and didn't intentionally run the score up. Enough already on the subject; now to get prepared for a speedy and tough Amherst team. This should make for a great high school football game.
Anytime you pull your starters I wouldn't consider that running up the score. Besides Appomattox's coach is not that kind of guy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT