ADVERTISEMENT

Salem - 48 Franklin County - 0 4th Quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shabutie

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2006
This was the score when I left. Virginia Tech Head Coach Brent Pry was at the game and flew off in his helicopter after halftime.

I will say this, if VT doesn't offer Jaelyn Allen immediately, especially after seeing him in person, they are crazy...

I really like what I saw on the field tonight!! I liked the screen passing, liked running out of the spread, liked how it opened it up!! I liked what I saw from Lewis this week!! If we continue to build on this and the qb gets better, throwing accurate passes, we can make some noise. Would have loved to see this team last week!! Keep it up!! Like I said last week about Lewis, I hope he proves me wrong, he did tonight, playing both sides, defense is better with him out there. Saw a difference in his demeanor tonight!! Keep proving me wrong!!

This was the score when I left. Virginia Tech Head Coach Brent Pry was at the game and flew off in his helicopter after halftime.

I will say this, if VT doesn't offer Jaelyn Allen immediately, especially after seeing him in person, they are crazy...
I know he has been to their camp and I agree with you. You can’t go a defensive series without hearing his name a few times

Looks like Salem came to the game with a pissed attitude and took it out on FC. Glad the Spartan faithful are smiling again. Your boys will be a tough out.

Come on @freeatlast2013, Patrick Henry may be a good game, but you guys will beat the snot out of the rest of your regular season opponents. I believe LCA woke up a sleeping giant. I am very shocked by the Glass defenses performance, so I am not sure who will stop the Spartans in region d. The two teams I thought could challenge Salem from Region C Woodgrove and John Champe have struggled thus far. Enjoy the win Salem. Very nice and convincing bounce back win.

I will say that dominating FC has tended to be quite the bellwether for Salem in the past.

I really like what I saw on the field tonight!! I liked the screen passing, liked running out of the spread, liked how it opened it up!! I liked what I saw from Lewis this week!! If we continue to build on this and the qb gets better, throwing accurate passes, we can make some noise. Would have loved to see this team last week!! Keep it up!! Like I said last week about Lewis, I hope he proves me wrong, he did tonight, playing both sides, defense is better with him out there. Saw a difference in his demeanor tonight!! Keep proving me wrong!!
The QB is young and will get better as the yr goes.

Come on @freeatlast2013, Patrick Henry may be a good game, but you guys will beat the snot out of the rest of your regular season opponents. I believe LCA woke up a sleeping giant. I am very shocked by the Glass defenses performance, so I am not sure who will stop the Spartans in region d. The two teams I thought could challenge Salem from Region C Woodgrove and John Champe have struggled thus far. Enjoy the win Salem. Very nice and convincing bounce back win.
Blacksburg will be tough.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Dinwiddie is the program

Dinwiddie is the program
Here you go. Not a chance. A true program has fans who express a desire to commit suicide and get rid of their coaching staff after one loss. General fans fully understand our program does not have the tradition/pedigree of a certain program just southwest of Roanoke. In fact, Navy Nation humbly cherishes our five measley state championship appearances and love our boys the same whether they have won or fallen short.

No, @freeatlast2013 we are not "the program". We are just hard working country folk who appreciate the effort and hard work our young men/coaches put in to entertain us on Friday nights in the fall.

Thank you for the silliness and sarcasm. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice win tonight! For those Spartan fans who do not understand this banter my comments are not meant to be malicious or derogatory towards the Salem fans/team. I highly respect what the Spartans have and will continue to accomplish. Have a blessed night/morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeatlast2013
Here you go. Not a chance. A true program has fans who express a desire to commit suicide and get rid of their coaching staff after one loss. General fans fully understand our program does not have the tradition/pedigree of a certain program just southwest of Roanoke. In fact, Navy Nation humbly cherishes our five measley state championship appearances and love our boys the same whether they have won or fallen short.

No, @freeatlast2013 we are not "the program". We are just hard working country folk who appreciate the effort and hard work our young men/coaches put in to entertain us on Friday nights in the fall.

Thank you for the silliness and sarcasm. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice win tonight! For those Spsrtan fans who do not understand this banter my comments are not meant to be malicious or derogatory towards the Salem fans/team. I highly respect what the Spartans have and will continue to accomplish. Have a blessed night/morning.
I agree. Some fans loose it after a loss. Learn from your mistakes and move on to the next game. Success takes a lot of hard work and many hours of film study. Just getting to the championship is hard, much less winning it. Dinwiddie made it look easy last yr. That's far from the truth.
Win or lose you should support your kids and coaches.

Salem first 3 possessions they were in spread often. Throwing short quick passes trying to get kids in space and running out of it. Game plan was quite a bit different than first game. Even saw tight end screen in 2nd quarter.

Reactions: Kilroy25
Looks like Salem came to the game with a pissed attitude and took it out on FC. Glad the Spartan faithful are smiling again. Your boys will be a tough out.
More like a sigh of relief vs smiling. We have to keep being creative to open up the Salem bread and butter offense. One of the reasons I was so worried and outspoken was we had this same speed last year, with a very experienced qb. We didn’t do any of what was seen Friday night. So I’m relieved because we are gonna need this against teams like PH and post season

Last edited:
Most of you tried to destroy Wilson from Salem the past three years. To see most of you giving this young QB a pass, he will get better, but not surprised about the support he gets on this forum. We guess Salem has their “traditional”QB. Why is this kid not getting criticism that the Wilson kid got? Wonder why? 🤔

Last edited:
Most of you tried to destroy Wilson from Salem the past three years. To see most of you giving this young QB a pass, he will get better, but not surprised about the support he gets on this forum. We guess Salem has their “traditional”QB. Why is this kid not getting criticism that the Wilson kid got? Wonder why? 🤔
Don't know who you are but I'm the one who said the kid will get better. Probably won't be as good as Wilson but time will tell. I also don't remember anyone trying to destroy Wilson. Wilson did a great job at Salem in the classroom and on the field. Led the team to a state championship. You are trying to incenuate something that doesn't exist. Wilson had a great game vs Ferrum by the way.

I’m not sure who this directed to, but I really hope it’s not a race bait type thing. Don’t remember saying much about Wilson, if I did, it would have been he was scared to run and use his speed. Other than that, a solid qb for Salem. The kid we have now is unknown for the most part, so far his passing accuracy is questionable, hence why I said if he gets better we can make some noise, as long as play calling stays creative. The playing calling last year, particularly the Glass game was 1 dimensional hence why I said they didn’t use the passing game with an experienced qb. So I’m not sure what merits your “wonder why” question!!

Reactions: SFUWO
Same guy who wrote this????????
I used to love the knowledge and conversations on this forum. Now, it’s about egos and not what this forum is supposed to be about! THE KIDS!

This forum needs to stop talking about young men playing ball and celebrate them. They could be doing things we don’t agree with. The Wilson kid when I saw him he was bothered by the post on this forum, yet he kept going. He played in a system that didn’t showcase his abilities, along with some other positions on offense, but you all didn’t see it because 🤔

Don't know who you are but I'm the one who said the kid will get better. Probably won't be as good as Wilson but time will tell. I also don't remember anyone trying to destroy Wilson. Wilson did a great job at Salem in the classroom and on the field. Led the team to a state championship. You are trying to incenuate something that doesn't exist. Wilson had a great game vs Ferrum by the way.
What did he do at Ferrum?

This forum needs to stop talking about young men playing ball and celebrate them. They could be doing things we don’t agree with. The Wilson kid when I saw him he was bothered by the post on this forum, yet he kept going. He played in a system that didn’t showcase his abilities, along with some other positions on offense, but you all didn’t see it because 🤔
So now, what are you making this forum about? Surely you dont think your post is celebrating kids.

Taylor is left handed and a transfer so no not a " traditional" Salem QB

Reactions: southbottomU
Because why?

Welcome to the social media world. Unfortunately not everyone will agree and they all have their opinions. Wilson is a great kid and he will rise above any negativity posted on social media. He is a great student athlete and his future is bright.
Guess you missed how posters defended Lewis when someone said he had no hart.
I agree 💯 that we celebrate all athletes. These are young men 14-19 playing a game with old men criticizing them.
He played in a system is definitely a correct statement. Even though the system didn't fit his skill set he stayed. Showing loyalty to his teammates. He could have transferred to Heritage. Bradley's offense would have fit his skill set better and I believe he has had cousins play there.

Well said @SFUWO. It appears the individual questioning you guys went through the same fishing expedition in 2021. When I reviewed @DUDLEY93, previous post he routinely defended Mr. Wilson even when Salem fans were not being overly critical if at all. I don't always agree with everything @southbottomU @mike salem, @1MoreHokie, @Shabutie says, but one thing the long time Salem posters can't be accused of is attacking a kid on this forum. Coaches, scheme, or philosophy hell yes, but with the exception of a recent post about Lewis I have never seen anything remotely nasty. You guys offer quality takes. This guy has a personal agenda, don't feed into it.

Last edited:
Well said @SFUWO. It appears the individual questioning you guys went through the same fishing expedition in 2021. When I reviewed @DUDLEY93, previous post he routinely defended Mr. Wilson even when Salem fans were not being overly critical if at all. I don't always agree with everything @southbottomU @mike salem, @1MoreHokie, @Shabutie says, but one thing the long time Salem posters can't be accused of is attacking a kid on this forum. Coaches, scheme, or philosophy hell yes, but with the exception of a recent post about Lewis I have never seen anything remotely nasty. You guys offer quality takes. This guy has a personal agenda, don't feed into it.

@BleedingNavy there was a post last year that the kid from glenvar should have been the qb at Salem and not the Wilson kid, the post went on and on that he wasn’t that good. I’m not for downing 15-18 year old kids, but this forum downed this young man and never gave him credit for anything throughout his career, and the post about Peyton not having heart is coming from someone that doesn’t understand the game. Yes I defend Mr Wilson because he was facing unwarranted criticism. You guys on this app need to understand these are kids and not professionals.

@BleedingNavy there was a post last year that the kid from glenvar should have been the qb at Salem and not the Wilson kid, the post went on and on that he wasn’t that good. I’m not for downing 15-18 year old kids, but this forum downed this young man and never gave him credit for anything throughout his career, and the post about Peyton not having heart is coming from someone that doesn’t understand the game. Yes I defend Mr Wilson because he was facing unwarranted criticism. You guys on this app need to understand these are kids and not professionals.
@BleedingNavy there are receipts of how this forum talk about young kids playing a game, and honestly, I’m just going to guess most of you didn’t play at their level.

The kid at Glenvar would have been the backup QB if he did not change school districts. Anyone close to the program would have known this. No way would he have ever started over Wilson.

@DUDLEY93, I would never deny that some individuals on this forum have criticized a few players. What I said was the Salem fans rarely if ever criticize their players. If posters cannot openly discuss team successes (strengths) and failures (weaknesses) on VAPreps then the forum is useless. It's not always going to be a "love line".

I am not a Salem fan, so I do not know the internal things that go on, but as a rival fan, admirer, and Roanoke native I feel pretty confident in my analysis of the Spartans teams of the past.

Initially, you stated that Wilson did not garner the same chance as the current QB, because was not a "typical Salem QB". I am not sure what you were implying, but if you were referring to his race I would simply ask you did he not replace another African American quarterback in Logan? In my opinion, he was non typical and brought a much different skill QB set to the Spartan program. It's not like the coaching staff and fans didn't know him he was a talented QB. He came through the Salem feeder system.

You also stated people never gave Wilson credit for his successes at Salem and openly criticized him. Externally, there is no evidence to justify these comments. In fact, most of the comments were of praise. Did a few fans express concerns about Wilson's passing ability early on? Yes, they did, but the comments were factual and statistically based. No one said he was horrible or anything remotely close. He like numerous other Salem quarterbacks won a championship. Let me provide you with a factual take. Noah Beckley won two straight championships and beat two damn good teams in Lake Taylor and Dinwiddie. In fact, he single handily willed Salem to the title in 2016, but rarely if ever is he mentioned on this board. It's just not Salem's nature to discuss former players both good or bad. Gladden won a title in 2017 does anybody even remember him. Salem qb's are generally plug and play. No fanfare just a steady performer and leader. When their time is done the Spartans move on to the next man in line.

In closing let me state that if I missed something and someone was disrespectful of Mr. Wilson hurting his feelings then shame on them. I have been watching football for over 50 years and I have seen good players and not so good players. I will shoot straight and say Wilson was a serviceable quarterback at Salem. If he played in another scheme that fit his strengths he could have possible been better. Wilson played the cards he was dealt and did well. No more, no less. He is currently playing on the Fork Union Post grad team. My eyes are old and I could be wrong, but I just don't think he is a college prospect at quarterback. He may fool me, but based on his speed and length I tend to believe he may get a few looks at defensive back. I wish the young man all the best.

Last edited:
Bud, I understand more about the game than you could possibly comprehend!! If you didn’t see a different Lewis in the Franklin game, then you don’t understand athletes or the game of football, since the LCA game, he’s been a different player. I came in here and said as much as well, keep proving me wrong is what I said. I simply gave an opinion and you as well as a few others didn’t like it, and that’s fine, it is what it is. Has nothing to do with skin color, I can assure you that.
As far as qb play goes, like the previous said, no one expects a Salem qb to be ‘great’ hence why not much is said. These are my opinions just like everyone else on here has opinions, it’s an open forum, and that’s what supposed to make it great.
Now you come here and (I’ll flat out say it) and play the race card!!! News flash buddy, 3/4 of Salems team is black! So please spare us the bs!!

Last edited:
@BleedingNavy i agree with you, I don’t believe he is a college quarterback, but this young man was denied playing DB in high school. Salem will have problems going forward, because if I had a son the played the qb position, and he wanted to play at the college level. Salem would be the last place he would go. Salem will have to have someone play that position that doesn’t want to play college ball or football is not there main sport.

Bud, I understand more about the game than you could possibly comprehend!! If you didn’t see a different Lewis in the Franklin game, then you don’t understand athletes or the game of football, since the LCA game, he’s been a different player. I came in here and said as much as well, keep proving me wrong is what I said. I simply gave an opinion and you as well as a few others didn’t like it, and that’s fine, it is what it is. Has nothing to do with skin color, I can assure you that.
As far as qb play goes, like the previous said, no one expects a Salem qb to be ‘great’ hence why not much is said. These are my opinions just like everyone else on here has opinions, it’s an open forum, and that’s what supposed to make it great.
Now you come here and (I’ll flat out say it) and play the race card!!! News flash buddy, 3/4 of Salems team is black! So please spare us the bs!!
From what I was told us Lewis had 4 straight carries 2 being sweeps. As a back you run min 15-20 yards before first contact. He ran two of those them off tackle. Why not have the Persinger kid spell him. He is more that capable.

@Kilroy25 they say Gideon got plays off and they used other RB’s to spell him. You reall don’t know the game and for sure never played the RB position. Gideon is a great talent, but his coach uses him well, because he knows the kid has a bright future

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT