ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 49. Franklin County 7

They seemed a bit off after the bye week and it being Tuesday and all but they regained their composure and did just fine. FC 42 yards on 28 carries and only 112 passing (40 yard TD pass towards end of game and 40ish yard pass before end of half represent most of that yardage). If FC hadn't scored I think game likely ends 35-0 as Salem would have had a long field to drive and 7 minutes with a running clock goes by fast. Wilson coming along better, finally just letting it fly and letting Logan go make plays. Leftwich is quality, 200 yards rushing and 4 TDs for a fullback in 2021 is pretty nuts (scored 3 TDs on 3 straight touches), has that very good dependability trait you want from a FB.

I think they might have figured out their TB issue tonight finally. Barlow has been a monster in JV and with limited time in clean-up on varsity.

Offense will dictate how far Salem goes but make no mistake, this is a state-caliber D and probably the best front seven in the state at this level. For slight comparison, Bassett beat FC 42-25 and LCA won 56-26.

Last edited:
They seemed a bit off after the bye week and it being Tuesday and all but they regained their composure and did just fine. FC 42 yards on 28 carries and only 112 passing (40 yard TD pass towards end of game and 40ish yard pass before end of half represent most of that yardage). If FC hadn't scored I think game likely ends 35-0 as Salem would have had a long field to drive and 7 minutes with a running clock goes by fast. Wilson coming along better, finally just letting it fly and letting Logan go make plays. Leftwich is quality, 200 yards rushing and 4 TDs for a fullback in 2021 is pretty nuts (scored 3 TDs on 3 straight touches), has that very good dependability trait you want from a FB.

I think they might have figured out their TB issue tonight finally. Barlow has been a monster in JV and with limited time in clean-up on varsity.

Offense will dictate how far Salem goes but make no mistake, this is a state-caliber D and probably the best front seven in the state at this level. For slight comparison, Bassett beat FC 42-25 and LCA won 56-26.
We’re you at the game?

Yes, I was at the game. Poor wording on my part, I know he hasn't played JV this year, was just speaking of the past.

Can’t understand how Franklin County can be so big, have the athletes and decent team speed, have 2k students to pull from and be so damn bad.

Game absolutely would have ended 35-0 if FC punts on 4th and long instead of throwing a bomb. Salem answered with a drive and a pick 6. Thems the breaks.

Can’t understand how Franklin County can be so big, have the athletes and decent team speed, have 2k students to pull from and be so damn bad.
They are big yes and have athletes yes. However, the community of Franklin County does not support the football team. They are not backed by the parents of the players. There should be no reason why the roster shouldn't be pushing 80-100 every year. The kids are always ineligible and the ones that come out are the non athletes. Until the community supports the program unfortunately this will be an average team. Lets also not forget, since coach Edwards has been there he has taken the Eagles to the playoffs 3 years in a row now and have competed in div 6 playoff games (lost by a touchdown to Landstown year before last) (Lost to Thomas Dale last year by 10 points). This coach has been successful at FC and will continue to do it. There has only been one other coach in Franklin County history that has made consecutive back to back playoff games.

Yeah I agree, but for them to have the community support and players that they do, they should really be a regional juggernaut.
What community support are you referring to here? The community of Franklin County does not support them. FC competes with the teams around this area and have competed in Div 6 playoffs the last two years. When the athletes start showing out and playing football and becoming eligible and they have average seasons then you can question why they aren't a juggernaut but until then that should not be something you hold over Franklin County.

They are spread out all over the county. It takes some kids an HR to get to school. Not to mention they also work the farms. Definitely a hard job as a coach to manage. I personally believe they need to build another school to cut travel times. This would also put them down in classification. Wouldn't have to travel to VA beach for a playoff game.

Reactions: southbottomU
They are big yes and have athletes yes. However, the community of Franklin County does not support the football team. They are not backed by the parents of the players. There should be no reason why the roster shouldn't be pushing 80-100 every year. The kids are always ineligible and the ones that come out are the non athletes. Until the community supports the program unfortunately this will be an average team. Lets also not forget, since coach Edwards has been there he has taken the Eagles to the playoffs 3 years in a row now and have competed in div 6 playoff games (lost by a touchdown to Landstown year before last) (Lost to Thomas Dale last year by 10 points). This coach has been successful at FC and will continue to do it. There has only been one other coach in Franklin County history that has made consecutive back to back playoff games.
Edwards is doing a great job. I thought they had a shot at beating Landstown. That was a long trip for them. The TD game last season was a surprise but shows the potential the team has.

They are spread out all over the county. It takes some kids an HR to get to school. Not to mention they also work the farms. Definitely a hard job as a coach to manage. I personally believe they need to build another school to cut travel times. This would also put them down in classification. Wouldn't have to travel to VA beach for a playoff game.
True on how spread out the county is. Ever been to Callaway Racetrack.. Feels like a different world up there and FC pushes back about 7 miles outside of Gretna, to the parkway, Bedford County, and to Floyd and Patrick Counties. Halifax County is in that same boat, however, Franklin County has had some very good teams in the past (state championship level good). At one time, they owned the old Western Valley District in football. If GW didn’t win it, Franklin County did. Could never win that second playoff game. If I’m not mistaken, they didn’t win their playoff game until 2009. Their basketball team was always talented and would give Oak Hill a dog fight for about 3 1/4 quarters, yearly.

True on how spread out the county is. Ever been to Callaway Racetrack.. Feels like a different world up there and FC pushes back about 7 miles outside of Gretna, to the parkway, Bedford County, and to Floyd and Patrick Counties. Halifax County is in that same boat, however, Franklin County has had some very good teams in the past (state championship level good). At one time, they owned the old Western Valley District in football. If GW didn’t win it, Franklin County did. Could never win that second playoff game. If I’m not mistaken, they didn’t win their playoff game until 2009. Their basketball team was always talented and would give Oak Hill a dog fight for about 3 1/4 quarters, yearly.
Were they playing the Oak Hill varsity or jv?

Reactions: MaroonDude
Were they playing the Oak Hill varsity or jv?
The Gold team. Brandon Jennings, who was the #1 player in the nation and was a lottery pick by the Milwaukee Bucks in 09, came to Rocky Mount every year he was at Oak Hill. That team also had Nolan Smith, who led Duke to the 2010 National Championship and a host of other Big East, SEC and ACC talent. A few years prior, Franklin County played Ty Lawson, Josh Smith and Kevin Durant’s Oak Hill team. That’s right KD, the SLIM REAPER, EASY MONEY SNIPER, and the best player in the current day NBA in Rocky Mount, VA. I seen these games up close and personal with my own 4 eyes. Franklin County had a kid by the name of Lewis Witcher, he was a 2-3 year starter at Virginia Tech and a kid named JT Edwards, who was a few years younger. Edwards went up against Oak Hill and ended up dunking on one of the nation’s top players. Franklin County used to be LEGIT!

Reactions: oldfool2
Oak Hill’s Gold team always played local teams. Carmelo Anthony came to Danville back in 02 and played Dan River at Averett. That #1 in the nation Oak Hill team in 2007 almost caught a L from GW Danville in Danville. They played in the Franklin County showcase every January and played Fleming at the Salem Civic Center when Fleming was loaded in 09. Until recently, Oak Hill was hands down the top prep hoops program in the world.

FC 100% needs two schools but their residents pinch every last penny they'll ever own so you'll never get the support for it because "muh taxes".

Reactions: oldfool2
The Gold team. Brandon Jennings, who was the #1 player in the nation and was a lottery pick by the Milwaukee Bucks in 09, came to Rocky Mount every year he was at Oak Hill. That team also had Nolan Smith, who led Duke to the 2010 National Championship and a host of other Big East, SEC and ACC talent. A few years prior, Franklin County played Ty Lawson, Josh Smith and Kevin Durant’s Oak Hill team. That’s right KD, the SLIM REAPER, EASY MONEY SNIPER, and the best player in the current day NBA in Rocky Mount, VA. I seen these games up close and personal with my own 4 eyes. Franklin County had a kid by the name of Lewis Witcher, he was a 2-3 year starter at Virginia Tech and a kid named JT Edwards, who was a few years younger. Edwards went up against Oak Hill and ended up dunking on one of the nation’s top players. Franklin County used to be LEGIT!
I went to oak hill back in 73 lol. We played local teams some back then like galax, marion, and fries and of course we played nationally. Hoot they just redid their gym this year.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
FC 100% needs two schools but their residents pinch every last penny they'll ever own so you'll never get the support for it because "muh taxes".
Yeah that shine money is not as prevalent as it used to be. Lol

FC had never made the playoffs in football until coach Miles got there in 2000.

FC had never made the playoffs in football until coach Miles got there in 2000.
I remember the first year they made it. They beat GW in 2002 to win the district. In 2009 they won their first playoff on a Hail Mary. I was at Liberty Bealeton that day.

Reactions: SFUWO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT