ADVERTISEMENT

SALEM goes down to LCA

And I guess you’re the one to tell him??? Let's see, an anonymous poster on a message board who criticizes the character of a high school football player based on arbitrary and absurd standards---yea , that makes you qualified------qualified to visit your local proctologist and get a head resection.
Absurd??? Expecting my all star player to be in the best shape so I can depend on him? Isn’t that what character is? What you do when no one’s around? Like work on being in shape? Training? It’s real easy to say the right things in the spot light. But hey, good luck!! Somehow you’re confusing talent with heart!!! Like I said previously, look at Davidson last night!! That’s heart!! Played every down, played at a high level. Talent don’t allow you to do that! Heart does!! Character makes you train to be in shape so that you don’t have to tap out. If that offends anyone of ya, so be it. Don’t really care. Y’all can have at it

Absurd??? Expecting my all star player to be in the best shape so I can depend on him? Isn’t that what character is? What you do when no one’s around? Like work on being in shape? Training? It’s real easy to say the right things in the spot light. But hey, good luck!! Somehow you’re confusing talent with heart!!! Like I said previously, look at Davidson last night!! That’s heart!! Played every down, played at a high level. Talent don’t allow you to do that! Heart does!! Character makes you train to be in shape so that you don’t have to tap out. If that offends anyone of ya, so be it. Don’t really care. Y’all can have at it
Like I said, you keep telling us exactly who you are. Only character being judged here tonight is yours and you have come up dreadfully short.

You just keep on telling us exactly who you are. We believe, we believe. You can stop now. Now go ahead and put your ass , I mean head, on your pillow and don't give unjustly besmirtching the character of a 17/18 year old kid a second thought. Night night
I won’t!! 🥱by the way, your name is fitting to you South, bottom, good job!!

I won’t!! 🥱by the way, your name is fitting to you South, bottom, good job!!
Yep, no one expects a character challenged individual to lose sleep over unjustly questioning the character of 17/18 year old kid. We all know who and what you are. You've demonstrated aptly.
By the way Southbottom is a place in Salem, you being such an expert on all things Salem I'm suprised you didn't know.

Yep, no one expects a character challenged individual to lose sleep over unjustly questioning the character of 17/18 year old kid. We all know who and what you are. You've demonstrated aptly.
By the way Southbottom is a place in Salem, you being such an expert on all things Salem I'm suprised you didn't know.
Like I said, it fits you well. I can do this all night!! Boohoo!! Put the cuffs on me. I said the superstar of the team didn’t get in shape enough due to a lack of heart. Sue me. I’m such a bad person! That 2 way player on the other team played in the same environment and did it!!

And by the way, I never said I was an expert in all things Salem. Moved in a few years back, outer skirts actually. I’ve heard of South bottom, but isn’t it actually bent mountain?

Last edited:
Also want to give props to Salem's #23 Khamari Garner. He is finally getting his chance this year and had some big catches... was also impressive in both scrimmages. In addition he got rushed into the game defensively after Coen Logan went out with an injury.

Like I said, it fits you well. I can do this all night!! Boohoo!! Put the cuffs on me. I said the superstar of the team didn’t get in shape enough due to a lack of heart. Sue me. I’m such a bad person! That 2 way player on the other team played in the same environment and did it!!

And by the way, I never said I was an expert in all things Salem. Moved in a few years back, outer skirts actually. I’ve heard of South bottom, but isn’t it actually bent mountain?
So we congratulate Davison for being able to play both ways.

Reactions: Kilroy25
Since we going far off base — let’s frame the argument of what was said and the supporting statements versus the rebutt.

Kilroy — one of the top players in the state doesn’t play both sides of the ball thus when the game is on the line he doesn’t see where fatigue or anything would keep a big time player out or not in the game in winning time. As a result of these observations he questions the heart of the player, the want to/mettle with all due respect he’s entitled to have this opinion. It’s very blunt and argumentative but it’s his opinion. Davidson showed more to him because he saw one teams best player leave it all out there on every snap every down that counted.

The rebuttal — it’s over critical and an overreach to question something that’s an intangible and can’t be measured like heart. The stats support that he played well , it’s a team game and the coach chooses not to play him both ways because of depth or situational uses. Both players are great in their own ways but they aren’t cutouts of one another, Lewis doesn’t have a defensive position he’s started or started at for the Spartans game in and game out. Observe and formulate your own opinions but don’t publicize them if they aren’t positive or ruffle feathers. The things about an opinion is they aren’t fact but people treat them as such.

The poster who said players x y and z for salem played their asses off and omitted Lewis didn’t do any favors to debunk the opinion shared. If the same play calls would’ve been blocked better or executed better we could be discussing a Salem win instead of a loss. The play calling leaves things to be desired in a loss but if coaches reinvent the system and lose they’re calling for his head cause why change what yielded so much success in the last 25 years. It’s a slippery slope but like I said take a drink and relax it’s week 1 an early loss creates hunger and eliminates the complacent mindset.

Looks like it was a great game between Salem and LCA. It was Gideon Davison’s night. He is a helluva player.

I’m not questioning anybody’s character. I will say thigh that there was a lot of stuff talked by Salem posters about their superstar recruits in the off-season. It ain’t camp season anymore, time for ballers to ball out.

Since we going far off base — let’s frame the argument of what was said and the supporting statements versus the rebutt.

Kilroy — one of the top players in the state doesn’t play both sides of the ball thus when the game is on the line he doesn’t see where fatigue or anything would keep a big time player out or not in the game in winning time. As a result of these observations he questions the heart of the player, the want to/mettle with all due respect he’s entitled to have this opinion. It’s very blunt and argumentative but it’s his opinion. Davidson showed more to him because he saw one teams best player leave it all out there on every snap every down that counted.

The rebuttal — it’s over critical and an overreach to question something that’s an intangible and can’t be measured like heart. The stats support that he played well , it’s a team game and the coach chooses not to play him both ways because of depth or situational uses. Both players are great in their own ways but they aren’t cutouts of one another, Lewis doesn’t have a defensive position he’s started or started at for the Spartans game in and game out. Observe and formulate your own opinions but don’t publicize them if they aren’t positive or ruffle feathers. The things about an opinion is they aren’t fact but people treat them as such.

The poster who said players x y and z for salem played their asses off and omitted Lewis didn’t do any favors to debunk the opinion shared. If the same play calls would’ve been blocked better or executed better we could be discussing a Salem win instead of a loss. The play calling leaves things to be desired in a loss but if coaches reinvent the system and lose they’re calling for his head cause why change what yielded so much success in the last 25 years. It’s a slippery slope but like I said take a drink and relax it’s week 1 an early loss creates hunger and eliminates the complacent mindset.
I can really appreciate this post, it puts it in a way that I can see where others didn’t like what I said, vs what I mean.
First off, I apologize to anyone that I offended or called assholes.
If I may explain my thoughts, to me, character and heart are two different things, yet a fine line between the two. To me heart is the ability of one to be able to pull from deep within when he’s/she’s tired, tell the coach, I don’t want to be out, my team needs me!! More of a desire thing than character! Character is what defines one when nobody is looking. They walk a parallel line yet not the same!! So in my eyes, to say I’m attacking one’s character is not true. That’s my opinion and how I see. If anyone disagrees, that’s fine, but know, this is how I see it!!

Reactions: rainman17
I can really appreciate this post, it puts it in a way that I can see where others didn’t like what I said, vs what I mean.
First off, I apologize to anyone that I offended or called assholes.
If I may explain my thoughts, to me, character and heart are two different things, yet a fine line between the two. To me heart is the ability of one to be able to pull from deep within when he’s/she’s tired, tell the coach, I don’t want to be out, my team needs me!! More of a desire thing than character! Character is what defines one when nobody is looking. They walk a parallel line yet not the same!! So in my eyes, to say I’m attacking one’s character is not true. That’s my opinion and how I see. If anyone disagrees, that’s fine, but know, this is how I see it!!
One thing we need to think about. Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Persinger go in the game for Lewis? He's definitely got the ability to break loose as well.

One thing we need to think about. Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Persinger go in the game for Lewis? He's definitely got the ability to break loose as well.
He sure does, from what some were telling me in the stands(I’ve not seen him run the ball enough) he has better vision but not nearly as strong as Lewis. Again I’ve not seen him run the ball enough to make that opinion. If it’s true, that’s a good thing, he will get stronger for next year!!

Reactions: SFUWO
Looks like it was a great game between Salem and LCA. It was Gideon Davison’s night. He is a helluva player.

I’m not questioning anybody’s character. I will say thigh that there was a lot of stuff talked by Salem posters about their superstar recruits in the off-season. It ain’t camp season anymore, time for ballers to ball out.
It was Gideons night because his team won. Gideon had 135 yards rushing and 1 catch for 8 yards. Lewis had 137 yards rushing , no catches, but a 75 yard kick off return. If Salem wins I guess it would have been Peytons night.
Gideon was great on defense. Peyton rarely plays defense.

Last edited:

I didn't intentionally omit anyone, I just listed some players that really stood out. I figured that anyone reading about the game, watching highlights, etc. would be aware of the plays Lewis made on offense and special teams but less would be aware about guys on the other side of the ball.

I didn't intentionally omit anyone, I just listed some players that really stood out. I figured that anyone reading about the game, watching highlights, etc. would be aware of the plays Lewis made on offense and special teams but less would be aware about guys on the other side of the ball.

You’re right you didn’t intentionally omit Lewis but you didnt name him in hindsight. Without him would the game had been close? Now considering cole is the top player/prospect in VA I doubt anybody is overlooking him and I think he’s a defender. The supporting cast did adequate enough to slow LCA for the majority of the game but allowed 21 points. I think you all look at it too critical when someone doesn’t be a ‘yes man’ or admonishes the praises being given. The OP being referenced posted several Spartans by name and commended their effort for playing their asses off which is why I said the omission of PL and moon for lca would give the impression their performance wasn’t on par with the others. In all honesty we are getting down to semantics on a dead horse still being beaten subject. I ultimately wanted a synopsis of the game from a viewer as I wasn’t in attendance just followed updates and watched highlights which leaves a lot to be desired in a game of that magnitude that was probably one of the best week 1 games in the state.

Synopsis of the game: LCA was extremely good up front and had the advantage there on both sides of the ball. That being said the Salem lines fought hard and at times were better than expected, considering how out-sized they were. The Salem LB play was phenomenal considering the situation up front and is really what kept them in the game on that side of the ball.

The first drives of the game proved to be a huge factor in the outcome. On Salem's first drive they had Khamari Garner wide open on a post, QB Eli Taylor was a bit late seeing it and letting the ball go which allowed Davidson to catch up and make the tackle after a long gain, Salem barely missed a TD here. Then, two plays later, Davidson intercepted Taylor to stop what was still a promising drive. Then, on LCA's first drive they also ran a play-action post play. Salem's safety bit hard on the run fake, leaving the deep middle 1/3 open and Moon hit the WR right in stride for a TD. Both teams had what should have been scoring plays, one team executed perfectly, the other team didn't.

LCA's base defensive alignment (and personnel) made it very difficult for Salem to execute its trap and inside running game. They kept their defensive ends aligned very wide to defend against the toss to Lewis. Salem still has success with this play due to Lewis' speed and talent but alignment-wise it really shouldn't have worked that well. The other aspect was how well coached LCA was defensively. They were virtually NEVER out of position and were as prepared as any team I have seen. It's no secret that Salem's playbook is not the biggest and LCA was very well tuned in on what plays could possibly be run, based on the formation, tendencies, etc.

As I said even before the season, there are a few matchups that are not ideal for Salem and this LCA Team perfectly fit that. Again, fortunately for the Spartans, they will match up very well with many of their possible playoff opponents. I also think LCA is EXTREMELY good this year. State championship potential good, as long as they stay healthy.

I still think the Spartans have a chance to be special. LCA's Coach Rocco after the game said, "we have never played a team like that."

One final note: The best and most vulnerable time to play Salem is always early in the season, especially week 1 when opponents have extra time to prepare and they are usually still struggling some with timing. As @DinwiddieProud has pointed out, it is much more difficult to play them with one week of preparation. Despite the loss, in many ways the team is still ahead of schedule for this point in the season. I am also very confident that the QB play will improve dramatically as the season progresses.

Last edited:
Junk playcalling. Said this for years but just god awful playcalling at Salem these days. Cutesy crap or uninspired crap, pick your poison. This staff is going to absolutely waste this collection of talent, mark my words.
You were 100% correct, they totally wasted those talented playmakers on offense.Damn shame! Feel for those kids

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT