ADVERTISEMENT

Salem/Magna Vista/Brookville scrimmage

I am glad he sees what he did was wrong, and I hope this is a huge life lesson for this young man. I am convinced that he has learned to act this way from an example somewhere. I don't believe that this sort of impulsive aggressive conduct will suddenly disappear on its own. He DOES need to have a consequence...a very memorable, unpleasant one. This child was NOT provoked by the kid he did this to. No words were exchanged, according to the boy who was hurt. This player just went off on the boy after the play was over, and that is out of control. It is a shame this child acted this way, but I do not hold it against their team or other players. They didn't make this kid a loose cannon. Someone else helped with that, and that sort of thing is beyond control of a school.

I am glad he sees what he did was wrong, and I hope this is a huge life lesson for this young man. I am convinced that he has learned to act this way from an example somewhere. I don't believe that this sort of impulsive aggressive conduct will suddenly disappear on its own. He DOES need to have a consequence...a very memorable, unpleasant one. This child was NOT provoked by the kid he did this to. No words were exchanged, according to the boy who was hurt. This player just went off on the boy after the play was over, and that is out of control. It is a shame this child acted this way, but I do not hold it against their team or other players. They didn't make this kid a loose cannon. Someone else helped with that, and that sort of thing is beyond control of a school.
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Not to say kids won't do the wrong thing or make bad choices at times, but a situation like this speaks to character, or the lack thereof- the lack of a good example or the presence of a bad one.

This is a violent game. To be any good on the field, you must embrace that. In addition, I've never seen an incident like this that did not have some root in retaliation. There is more to this story than what's been seen. IMO. Nobody gets randomly stomped without a reason.

Control of emotion may be the most difficult part to learn but it's part of the process. Mistakes happen all the time. It's also how we learn. Let the Coach do his job. He knows the kid better than any of us do. Trust him and move on.

Last edited:
I believe in forgiving the kid for his actions. He should have consequences for his choices. It's sad he made this poor choice that will ruin part of his season or his whole season. I'm sure the Magna Vista coach will handle this situation. The actions of one should not speak for the whole team. After the kid did this, his team was just as upset with him as the fans.
Agreed!

This is a violent game. To be any good on the field, you must embrace that. In addition, I've never seen an incident like this that did not have some root in retaliation. There is more to this story than what's been seen. IMO. Nobody gets randomly stomped without a reason.

Control of emotion may be the most difficult part to learn but it's part of the process. Mistakes happen all the time. It's also how we learn. Let the Coach do his job. He knows the kid better than any of us do. Trust him and move on.

You may be right that it was preceded by something. But, no matter what, it was an aggressive cowardly act. Well out of the parameter of reacting. In a sense, it was premeditated, albeit a very short window. You can twist this anyway you want to, but it was a highly agrevious act. He needs to be disciplined in a manner that requires him to earn his way back to being part of the team. You are not only teaching him a lesson in life, but every other kid that sees this play out.

That's a load of crap. People do dumb stuff in games all the time with no provocation or forethought. They're dummies, it's what dummies do. Elvis Dumervil never said anything to Marcus Vick and Suh, who is a serial stomper, does it when the opportunity presents itself.

It's ridiculous to try and victim blame and invent some scenario whereby there's some sort of excuse for what happened. Not everything needs to fit in a tidy little box where every thing has cause and effect, action and reaction. Sometimes stuff simply happens.

How about some info on the scrimmage? How did the
New Q.B. do? Some of the other new players?
#36 Ramsey Beast Mode
#4 Tucker best Salem receiver, consistently getting behind secondary.
#7 Fox had a pick6
#10 Beckley looked pretty good overall, but threw a couple of picks, underthrew a couple to Tucker
#28 Clayborne still fast
#38 D Ramsey looked good JV RB, also played some DE on 1st string- good size for soph
#41 Ponton had int, separated shoulder
#63 Wall has an appropriate name, getting to the QB through him is like trying to go through a wall.

It was hard to key in on guys because they switched guys in/out throughout the series. Having 3 teams was cool, but it was a lot to keep up with.

Salem good overall, but a lot of work to do defending the long pass especially after Ponton got hurt.
Brookville looked much better than expected, thought they would be 3rd, at times looked like 1st.
Magna Vista was disappointing for a number of reasons considering what they have.

Last edited:
Reactions: momomule
That's a load of crap. People do dumb stuff in games all the time with no provocation or forethought. They're dummies, it's what dummies do. Elvis Dumervil never said anything to Marcus Vick and Suh, who is a serial stomper, does it when the opportunity presents itself.

It's ridiculous to try and victim blame and invent some scenario whereby there's some sort of excuse for what happened. Not everything needs to fit in a tidy little box where every thing has cause and effect, action and reaction. Sometimes stuff simply happens.
We'll disagree here.

#36 Ramsey Beast Mode
#7 Fox had a pick6
#10 Beckley looked pretty good overall, but threw a couple of picks, underthrew a couple to Tucker
#28 Clayborne still fast
#38 D Ramsey looked good JV RB, also played some DE on 1st string- good size for soph
#63 Wall has an appropriate name, getting to the QB through him is like trying to go through a wall.

It was hard to key in on guys because they switched guys in/out throughout the series. Having 3 teams was cool, but it was a lot to keep up with.

Salem good overall, but a lot of work to do defending the long pass especially after Ponton got hurt.
Brookville looked much better than expected, thought they would be 3rd, at times looked like 1st.
Magna Vista was disappointing for a number of reasons considering what they have.
How banged up are Good &
#36 Ramsey Beast Mode
#7 Fox had a pick6
#28 Clayborne still fast

How banged up are the two players?

#36 Ramsey Beast Mode
#7 Fox had a pick6
#28 Clayborne still fast

Let me add:

Defense looks good. Keep in mind, Ponton had to come out and be replaced at corner. I still think there will be movement of players in specific positions in the secondary. There are options for safety and corner. Burnette, Swaine, Quinn, Moushegian & Wade are all options for safety. The safeties seemed to play to far up. In my opinion, the free safety needs to play deeper and the line backers should be 3 yards back. It seemed like they were playing 5 yards back. These things probably aren't player choices, but they are being coached to do it. Each to his own, I guess. I just think it may help.

Ponton, Owen, Quinn, Burnette, Tucker, and even Swaine would be good corner options. My top picks for corner are Ponton and Owen. I would also sub in on these positions (strategically) to have fresh legs on the field, primarily to defend the long ball. I'm not as concerned about the short passes. Also, at least one linebacker should be moving forward, even on the pass. I also want to see the nickle defense! Where is it? ;)

Last I heard, Ponton will be fine. He just needs to rest up and heal. He's just sore.

Reactions: mike salem
Let me add:

Defense looks good. Keep in mind, Ponton had to come out and be replaced at corner. I still think there will be movement of players in specific positions in the secondary. There are options for safety and corner. Burnette, Swaine, Quinn, Moushegian & Wade are all options for safety. The safeties seemed to play to far up. In my opinion, the free safety needs to play deeper and the line backers should be 3 yards back. It seemed like they were playing 5 yards back. These things probably aren't player choices, but they are being coached to do it. Each to his own, I guess. I just think it may help.

Ponton, Owen, Quinn, Burnette, Tucker, and even Swaine would be good corner options. My top picks for corner are Ponton and Owen. I would also sub in on these positions (strategically) to have fresh legs on the field, primarily to defend the long ball. I'm not as concerned about the short passes. Also, at least one linebacker should be moving forward, even on the pass. I also want to see the nickle defense! Where is it? ;)

Last I heard, Ponton will be fine. He just needs to rest up and heal. He's just sore.
Yeah I know they have tons of options and they'll figure out who goes where. It's exciting to see 4 sophmore options in the secondary with Quinn, Wade, Owen, and Tucker. They will improve with experience and by the time they're juniors & seniors the secondary should be tight. I think Burnette is the top safety option, he was second string behind Fox last year as a Sophmore. The exciting thing is they have good depth. The Times said they only plan to have 1 (2) way starter to start the season in Ramsey.

I think both will likely take it easy this week, probably won't play or limited in the benefit this week. They should be ready for Week 1 & they are off week 2.
You're right on taking it easy this week and a lot will depend upon the soreness. They will have a better idea mid week after some treatment results can be judged. Nice to meet you Friday night Mike!

You're right on taking it easy this week and a lot will depend upon the soreness. They will have a better idea mid week after some treatment results can be judged. Nice to meet you Friday night Mike!
Nice to meet you as well Cutnjump!

Let me add:

Last couple of years they've had a rover (plays like a 5th cb, or 3rd LB) They switched their defense for the Heritage semifinal game in '12 and have been adjusting to it the last couple of years.

Really, no. This kid is very soft spoken and not a mean kid at all. He wouldn't say a mean thing to anyone. And he said he didn't, nor did the guy who did this say a word to him. Early in the scrimmage, someone near me noticed that they had been "punking on him" the whole time. I asked why. The answer was, "He is smaller." I just think it meant something to this guy to act this way. Hypothetically, even if this kid did something to him, you don't do things that could paralyze a person. He was LUCKY that didn't happen. This thing happened after the play was over. He didn't need to throw him down. He didn't need to stomp on the middle of his back. The boy DID NOT get up for a long time.

Last couple of years they've had a rover (plays like a 5th cb, or 3rd LB) They switched their defense for the Heritage semifinal game in '12 and have been adjusting to it the last couple of years.
Yep, it's called a "robber", like Tech. Ramsey plays the position. I have my own opinions about Tech's defense! lol Let's just say, I'm not a Tech. fan. Alright, back on topic, Coach "Goody" is back and there is a new linebacker coach. There will be minor changes. I think you should tailor your defense to your personnel's strengths. Adjustments can make a BIG difference.

Yep, it's called a "robber", like Tech. Ramsey plays the position. I have my own opinions about Tech's defense! lol Let's just say, I'm not a Tech. fan. Alright, back on topic, Coach "Goody" is back and there is a new linebacker coach. There will be minor changes. I think you should tailor your defense to your personnel's strengths. Adjustments can make a BIG difference.
I thought it was a rover like in softball. Must use my ears a little better. Ramsey plays it well, I think Payne played it before him. Is the new coach to replace Edwards who went to Franklin Co? I grew up in Lynchburg and back when I started watching football in the late 80's UVA was the best in VA and Tech was so bad I didn't even know they had a football team. Plus I love history and Jefferson was my favorite Founding Father. So I'm a UVA fan to stray off topic with you.

Yep, I'm a UVA fan too. Ramsey played it last year too. The new guy took over the line backers. He's from Fleming, I think. Coach Goody is back after a couple of years off. Coach Goody is coaching the DB's, I think. He's a good man.

Yep, I'm a UVA fan too. Ramsey played it last year too. The new guy took over the line backers. He's from Fleming, I think. Coach Goody is back after a couple of years off. Coach Goody is coaching the DB's, I think. He's a good man.
Is coach Fedison still with the team?

Serious question here and not trying to be mean... did you play the game of football at a high level? I have seen this happen for no reason MANY times. Shoot, didn't Suh do that a couple of years ago in the NFL?

I seem to hear a lot of blanket statements from you and usually, they are not accurate.

Serious question here and not trying to be mean... did you play the game of football at a high level? I have seen this happen for no reason MANY times. Shoot, didn't Suh do that a couple of years ago in the NFL?

I seem to hear a lot of blanket statements from you and usually, they are not accurate.
Actually, I did not play the game of Football at any real level. Just what you would consider AAU until I started HS. I went to private schools my whole life and they didn't field a team. I did go to College on Baseball and Soccer scholarships. St Bonaventure also did not field a Football team. I was offered a scholarship to Ohio State by Woody Hayes after he watched an Ultimate Frisbee Tournament at the Stadium in Columbus. I was there often because my best friend went there. I did get to play soccer with Pele. I always like to say that in the two games against his NY Cosmos, he did not score on me. I leave out the part that he also did not shoot. I did play with the Richmond Braves. In Spring training, Hank Aaron told me I was one of the best Center Fielders he ever saw. He also told me I needed to spend a lot more time in the cage. I have son's that played next level Football. I Coached for over 20 years and to be honest, I was not good at first. I had to learn the hard way and from others that were much better than I. Knowing the game and teaching the game are two very different things. I feel I do know athletics and athletes and that my evals are pretty good. Certainly, more so than you imply. Of course, that's just IMO. All due respect. You're welcome to your opinion. Best of luck in 2015.

Last edited:

Everyone has reasons/motivations for their behaviors. The reason most likely did not come from something that happened on field directly. In my observation, (and knowing the kid that was thrown down), the motivation for his behavior was an "off the field issue." Of course, I could be wrong. Only the player knows why he did it.

Actually, I did not play the game of Football at any real level. Just what you would consider AAU until I started HS. I went to private schools my whole life and they didn't field a team. I did go to College on Baseball and Soccer scholarships. I was offered a scholarship to Ohio State by Woody Hayes after he watched an Ultimate Frisbee Tournament at the Stadium in Columbus. I did get to play soccer with Pele. I always like to say that in the two games against his NY Cosmos, he did not score on me. I leave out the part that he also did not shoot. I did play with the Richmond Braves. In Spring training, Hank Aaron told me I was one of the best Center Fielders he ever saw. He also told me I needed to spend a lot more time in the cage. I have son's that played next level Football. I Coached for over 20 years and to be honest, I was not good at first. I had to learn the hard way and from others that were much better than I. Knowing the game and teaching the game are two very different things. I feel I do know athletics and athletes and that my evals are pretty good. Certainly, more so than you imply. Of course, that's just IMO. All due respect. You're welcome to your opinion. Best of luck in 2015.

971.gif

I liked that. The sad part is, everything I said was true. But I always appreciate good sarcasm and whether you believe me or not doesn't even put a breeze in my flag. I came from NY and ball busting is a rated art. You get a 6 for originality only. GL in 2015.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT