ADVERTISEMENT

Salem/Magna Vista/Brookville scrimmage

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
I just imported my notes from Scribble. By virtue of having 3 teams scrimmage my notes seem really disjointed. My phone has been acting weird lately and for some reason some of my notes got erased after 1st string came back in. I had to leave early because I was feeling sick so I missed some of the 1st string when they came back in. Overall from what I saw, Salem appeared to be the best team at the scrimmage scoring the most TD's- I had 1st string scoring 5x, with Magna Vista 2nd and Brookville 3rd. Brookville and Magna Vista's 1st string had 2 or 3 scores each. Brookville looked better than I expected. Magna Vista has a lot of weapons, but they didn't look as sharp as I expected them to be. Things got chippy between Brookville and Magna Vista towards the end and then Salem against Magna Vista because of a late hit/spear on Hood (Salem) Salem had 2 injured during the scrimmage that I saw Ponton (shoulder) & Hood (bell rung? on late hit) Good crowd for a scrimmage with teams coming from an hour away. Both Magna Vista and Brookville had quite a few fans make the trip, that was good to see.

*Tucker (Salem) long pass reception against Brookville.
*Clayborne (Salem) scored against Brookville.
*Interception Brookville against Salem.

* Magna Vista held Brookville.

*Long td #2 (Brookville)against Magna Vista.

*Fox (Salem)pick 6 against MV.
*Ponton interception against MV hurt shoulder.
*Salem held MV.

*Brookville held Salem.
--------------------------------------
2nd string in:

*Salem held Magna Vista.

*Brookville held Salem.

*Interception Brookville against MV, *Brookville held MV.

*D Ramsey (Salem) scored against MV.

*Brookville scored against Salem.
------------------------------
1st string back in:

*Brookville 2 fumble recoveries against Magna Vista .

*Brookville td against Salem.

*Ramsey td against Magna Vista.
*Tucker long td against Magna Vista.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Did MV even score? I figured the offense needed work. It sounds like the defense had a few issues also.

Did MV even score? I figured the offense needed work. It sounds like the defense had a few issues also.
I believe they did against Brookville when the 1st string came back in. I really expected more out of them. Brookville actually looked like the second best team out there sometimes. I expect Magna Vista will get it in gear when the time comes. They have so many weapons with Maguire, J Hairston, Penn, Scales, Redd, etc...

The only thing you missed was Brookville scoring twice more on Magna Vista. I am curious how you have Salem and Brookville scoring even but you say clearly Salem was better when Salem had zero answer for Brookville's pass and other than the first two plays Salem didn't move the ball on Brookville.

The only thing you missed was Brookville scoring twice more on Magna Vista. I am curious how you have Salem and Brookville scoring even but you say clearly Salem was better when Salem had zero answer for Brookville's pass and other than the first two plays Salem didn't move the ball on Brookville.
I didn't get to see the end where 1st string came back in for Salem v Brookville. I had to leave early because I got sick. Plus I noticed about 1/3 of my notes somehow got deleted, my phone has been acting weird lately. I heard from another poster just before I read your post that said Brookville hit 2 more TD's against Salem after I left. With that addition maybe Brookville won the scrimmage. Magna Vista didn't look as good as I expected that's for sure.

By the sound of things looks like MV might be making that lonely trip from the penthouse to the outhouse!! Hopefully they can go .500 and sneak into the playoffs as a 15-16 seed. Expected more out of them with what they had coming back.

First string scores were even between Brookville and Salem. You can't really say who wins a scrimmage. There is no down and distance, no real game chess match. I think both Salem and Brookville will have good seasons this year.

By the sound of things looks like MV might be making that lonely trip from the penthouse to the outhouse!! Hopefully they can go .500 and sneak into the playoffs as a 15-16 seed. Expected more out of them with what they had coming back.
They'll be fine, their district is weak except for GW and this was just a glorified practice. I expect they'll get things worked out throughout the year and be ready come playoffs.

It's hard to determine who wins and loses scrimmages I think all three played well in spots and struggled in others I think all three will be fine was appalled however by the lack of sportsmanship by Magna Vista stomping on the Salem kid then the wr arguing and getting in the face of a ref

Reactions: mike salem
First string scores were even between Brookville and Salem. You can't really say who wins a scrimmage. There is no down and distance, no real game chess match. I think both Salem and Brookville will have good seasons this year.
I had to leave early, but it sounds like Salem has work to do in the secondary. It doesn't help that their most experienced CB may have separated his shoulder.

It's hard to determine who wins and loses scrimmages I think all three played well in spots and struggled in others I think all three will be fine was appalled however by the lack of sportsmanship by Magna Vista stomping on the Salem kid then the wr arguing and getting in the face of a ref
Magna Vista was overly aggressive especially for a scrimmage, but they really didn't look like a team that won the state title last year. They have a lot of good players so I expect they'll iron things out before the playoffs. Other than GW their district is weak so they'll have time to get on top of things. Coach Favaro will probably not be happy with a couple of players' attitudes and I'm sure he'll address that.

We (Salem) pretty much shut Brookville's running game down. Their passing game however, wore us out. Three deep balls. I thought Brookville played Salem much better than MV played Salem. After our corner separated his shoulder we did not cover very well. One of the deep balls though was a great catch. The kid was covered, just made a great catch. Our lt. tackle was stomped in the back as he lay on the ground by a MV player. I think the kid was ejected. Our ground game looked to be in mid season form. Ramsey is bigger and so is Clayborne. Riley Fox gives us a really good blocking FB who can get those ugly yards and Alex' younger brother DeAngelo is about 6'1" and 205 and really impressed me with his power and speed. Salem is going to be just fine and those folks in the Seminole better take Brookville seriously. They're the real deal!

I had to leave early, but it sounds like Salem has work to do in the secondary. It doesn't help that their most experienced CB may have separated his shoulder.
I hope that isn't #15 from last year! Just messing. Thanks for the info, very interested in how Brookville did. Did #1 run the ball for them?

Jeez, you can dress the Warriors up but you just can't take them anywhere. Coming from a long time Piedmont District fan( still think the 75 Martinsville football state champs are one of the best hs teams I've seen) welcome to the Piedmont district of now. We get a steady dose of cheap shots, trash talking, and genuine bad behavior every week. Wish it would change, but don't forsee it happening anytime soon.

I hope that isn't #15 from last year! Just kidding. Thanks for the info, very interested in how Brookville did. Did #1 run the ball for them?
No it was #41. Brookville looked to be much improved. They looked really good against Magna Vista and the Brookville's QB looked good and he threw a couple of TD against Salem after I left.

There is a video I shared to my Facebook account that shows the stomping. This video should be sent to the VHSL and he should be sitting out games or removed from the team. His actions were uncalled for and classless. Stomping someone's back like he did could have caused permanent damage.

You are correct, Mike! And that abuse happened to the nicest kid. Hard working, polite, son of a single mom. Has stepped up to be the man of the house. Goes to governor's school. Even keeled, kind. So that offense makes me MORE THAN SICK. I was sitting in an area where Brookville and Salem fans were together. Fans were yelling that the boy needed to get off the field. There was a man from Magna Vista who became irate with the crowd. I didn't hear it, but the folks behind me said the man said, "That's my son you are yelling about." Then the man ranted and the Brookville parents bantered back. I thought there may be a brawl. Unreal. The Brookville parents were just as mad as Salem ones because that could have been anyone's kid.

You are correct, Mike! And that abuse happened to the nicest kid. Hard working, polite, son of a single mom. Has stepped up to be the man of the house. Goes to governor's school. Even keeled, kind. So that offense makes me MORE THAN SICK. I was sitting in an area where Brookville and Salem fans were together. Fans were yelling that the boy needed to get off the field. There was a man from Magna Vista who became irate with the crowd. I didn't hear it, but the folks behind me said the man said, "That's my son you are yelling about." Then the man ranted and the Brookville parents bantered back. I thought there may be a brawl. Unreal. The Brookville parents were just as mad as Salem ones because that could have been anyone's kid.
I didn't hear him, but I could definitely hear people yelling to kick that kid out. I assumed they were Salem fans. If that were my kid I'd be so mortified and embarrased that he acted like that, not yelling to defend his indefensible actions.

Does anybody have the number of the player who did the stomping? Anything that was as bad as this action obviously was and caused this kind of reaction from the crowd("I thought there may be a brawl"),the player in question needs to be called out so that the appropriate action can be taken against him.No place in hs football for behavior like this, and I hope the player from Salem wasn't injured in any way.

Does anybody have the number of the player who did the stomping? Anything that was as bad as this action obviously was and caused this kind of reaction from the crowd("I thought there may be a brawl"),the player in question needs to be called out so that the appropriate action can be taken against him.No place in hs football for behavior like this, and I hope the player from Salem wasn't injured in any way.
#69, I hope Magna Vista or the VHSL will discipline him sharply.

Magna Vista sportsmanship last year was much improved over the last few years. I was even bragging the other day of how Favero turned them around in that aspect of the game. If this player cant handle a simple friendly scrimmage then its only a matter of time before he gets tossed. Im sure Favero will handle it, but the VHSL might also handle it as well. I have not seen the video, but uncalled for.

Mike thanks for accepting my friends request. I wanted to see the video.. That really pisses me off, and totally uncalled for.. Thats not the way to represent a defending state championship. This is the first game of MV I have missed in 2 years, and im glad not to witness that. Yea that might be dismissal from the team..

Magna Vista sportsmanship last year was much improved over the last few years. I was even bragging the other day of how Favero turned them around in that aspect of the game. If this player cant handle a simple friendly scrimmage then its only a matter of time before he gets tossed. Im sure Favero will handle it, but the VHSL might also handle it as well. I have not seen the video, but uncalled for.
The video is on my Facebook page, I'll put a link up, hopefully it works. I changed the settings so everyone should be able to see it now. Also the gentleman who made the video posted it below.

https://www.facebook.com/mike24/pos...ent_id=10206268202575708&notif_t=feed_comment

Last edited:
Might be a good test for the new AD at Magna Vista to see how discipline will be handled now. Lord knows this action deserves a stiff penalty.

#69, I hope Magna Vista or the VHSL will discipline him sharply.
I doubt the VHSL will have anything to do with it nor do I believe they should. This is for the Coach. The ball is in his court and his alone. The Coach sets the tone for the team. If Mke Salem says the penalty was egregious, that's enough for me. How the kid gets penalized is an MV issue. How the kid gets penalized then becomes an area issue. Very touchy situation. The issue here is that everyone will be watching. It's a can't win situation because no decision will be correct in everyone's eyes.

lol if that kid plays football at all during the month of September his coach is a coward. Garbage stuff come from garbage players, any real coach and team wouldn't want to be anywhere near that crap.

I didn't hear him, but I could definitely hear people yelling to kick that kid out. I assumed they were Salem fans. If that were my kid I'd be so mortified and embarrased that he acted like that, not yelling to defend his indefensible actions.
Mike, actually, the Brookville fans were most livid around me...One mom was going off on that parent and was thinking he may try to fight her on the way out. I know Salem fans were upset, but Brookville's group was JUST as upset. They saw this as something that could happen to their kid, too.

Just communicated with our player. He is bruised and obviously sore. He needs to rest and was able to get a bit of rest last night. If he continues to feel as he does, he will likely be out all week next week.

So far, close to 2,000 people have seen that video on facebook--since late last night.---Make that over 2,000 people.

Last edited:
After viewing this video all I can say is I'm truly sorry to the Salem player, family and fans of the Spartans and the Bees for the totally classless actions of this MV player. If he is not dealt with both harshly and swiftly it will not only be a black eye for the MV football program but for the school and the school system has a whole. Actions like these can not go unpunished, this isn't the WWE, it's hs football.

So far, close to 2,000 people have seen that video on facebook--since late last night.---Make that over 2,000 people.
The video is really blowing up considering it's just Facebook not Youtube. It's close to 2,400 views now.

I believe in forgiving the kid for his actions. He should have consequences for his choices. It's sad he made this poor choice that will ruin part of his season or his whole season. I'm sure the Magna Vista coach will handle this situation. The actions of one should not speak for the whole team. After the kid did this, his team was just as upset with him as the fans.

I believe in forgiving the kid for his actions. He should have consequences for his choices. It's sad he made this poor choice that will ruin part of his season or his whole season. I'm sure the Magna Vista coach will handle this situation. The actions of one should not speak for the whole team. After the kid did this, his team was just as upset with him as the fans.
Well said close.

I was told he did apologize to both teams. Also he had personal issues and his emotions got the best of him. They said it was totally unlike this kid to do something like this. Just a bad decision, but im sure Favero will still address it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT