ADVERTISEMENT

Salem stadium

Are their concessions still as lame as they used to be? We'd always end up leaving during the grueling eternity between games to go get some grub because their food selections were always so lousy.

Glad to hear they got the Stagg Bowl back at least.

During the regular season they started carrying what I believe was Dominos and Chic-Fil-A in addition to other things. They also had, as mentioned, several food trucks with stuff like kettle corn and sno cones although obviously some of that goes away as the season progresses.

Reactions: mmqp 5.0
I love Salem and look forward to my annual pilgrimmage there for the championships It is centrally located as long as we do A/B vs. C/D. VMI would be good too, but Salem is perfectly fine.
Seating is adequate, bathrooms are decent. Concessions are limited but were better this year than previous years. In the past, you could only get popcorn and candy. Chicken sandwiches were available this time. I always carb up real well in the parking lot before going inside. That gets me through both games ok.
As for bag checking, yeah, they're probably looking for food more than weapons. I have no issue with being searched for either. God forbid, if they didn't at least try to check for weapons and something did happen, this conversation would be very different afterward. Y'all know I'm right.

The play clocks not working correctly early in the game was a bummer. The main safety issue was all the fans out in/near the parking lot visiting with the players after the game. Somebody could have easily been hit by a vehicle trying to leave with that crowded mess. I’ve always noticed that they’ve let the fans visit with the team on the hillside beside both the home and away bleachers. Not sure why they didn’t allow that this year.

The play clocks not working correctly early in the game was a bummer. The main safety issue was all the fans out in/near the parking lot visiting with the players after the game. Somebody could have easily been hit by a vehicle trying to leave with that crowded mess. I’ve always noticed that they’ve let the fans visit with the team on the hillside beside both the home and away bleachers. Not sure why they didn’t allow that this year.
Someone mentioned that some fans from one of the schools last year were rude to staff/police. Looks like that’s what shut that down.

Since someone brought up VMI, I had been tempted to ask for opinions on that, but after riding by its facility the other day, I doubt if it would work. For one thing, there is basically one street in and out of there and if there is any parking to speak of, it is not visible from the street. I have no idea about its seating capacity.

I do know that back in the 70s, they did hold a regional playoff game there. I think it might have been during the Powell Valley heyday. I actually went to that game but remember very little about it.

The playclocks are unfortunate as that wasn't an issue all season but I'm pretty sure every school in the country gets them from the same place and that company also makes McDonald's ice cream machines. It's always such a crapshoot with playclocks, I'd love to know why they're so apt to fail given the limited usage they see during a year.

Since someone brought up VMI, I had been tempted to ask for opinions on that, but after riding by its facility the other day, I doubt if it would work. For one thing, there is basically one street in and out of there and if there is any parking to speak of, it is not visible from the street. I have no idea about its seating capacity.

I do know that back in the 70s, they did hold a regional playoff game there. I think it might have been during the Powell Valley heyday. I actually went to that game but remember very little about it.

People can gripe about things at Salem but parking will 100% never be one of them. It beats the tar out of 99% of any other option you can think of with multiple points of ingress and egress to keep traffic flowing with as little disruption as possible. If you're not from Salem you're a right turn out of the lot, a left turn onto 419, and a short ride to the interstate.

During the regular season they started carrying what I believe was Dominos and Chic-Fil-A in addition to other things. They also had, as mentioned, several food trucks with stuff like kettle corn and sno cones although obviously some of that goes away as the season progresses.
That's doable then. Back in the day I seem to recall a choice between a hot dog, kettle corn or nachos. So definitely a step in the right direction!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT