ADVERTISEMENT

Salem stadium

Aug 23, 2003
A few questions about how Salem stadium ran their gates yesterday.
It was advertised that the gates would open at 10:30 but then we were told while standing in line it would be 11:00 . They finally let us in at 10:50. One of the workers inside was telling everyone they had hot chocolate available . Well then open up the gates so the hundreds of people standing in the cold can get in to buy it !!!
And what are they searching for when they look through all the bags ? Guns and weapons or Dr Pepper bottles and outside food!!! I’ve heard the latter .
Play clocks did not work and then at the end of the game they wouldn’t allow either team to meet with parents and family on the “hill” as they have always done . Instead they had everyone standing in the middle of the road outside the gate where the busses were . I guess they didn’t want people standing on their precious grass .
What a mess and embarrassment !!!!!!

Reactions: Bama1985
The thing that bugs me most about Salem stadium is the terrible PA system. Couple of old speakers on the scoreboard. With today's technology, I don't think it would be hard to update that PA system with some wireless speakers around the stands

It was advertised that the gates would open at 10:30 but then we were told while standing in line it would be 11:00 . They finally let us in at 10:50. One of the workers inside was telling everyone they had hot chocolate available . Well then open up the gates so the hundreds of people standing in the cold can get in to buy it !!!
And what are they searching for when they look through all the bags ? Guns and weapons or Dr Pepper bottles and outside food!!! I’ve heard the latter .
Play clocks did not work and then at the end of the game they wouldn’t allow either team to meet with parents and family on the “hill” as they have always done . Instead they had everyone standing in the middle of the road outside the gate where the busses were . I guess they didn’t want people standing on their precious grass .
VHSL is who you need to complain to. They control all operations when it comes to State Finals. You might also complain about how a few fans of one of the losing teams last yr (Graham) might have ruined the meeting area in the grass as well. They did not want to follow rules and caused a scene where the police had to intervene.
Everyone standing by the gate was entirely up to them. That was not a designated meeting spot but people tend to always migrate there.
Most stadiums search bags. City Stadium in Lynchburg requires you to have a clear bag.
Did you get your hot chocolate?

And gates usually open 1 hr prior to kickoff

I think Liberty should host 1&2A with the 3&4A moved to UVA. I think 5&6 are fine where they are. Otherwise put them all at UVA with 1-3 playing Saturday and 4-6 on Sunday.
What I've noticed is the VHSL has all games played in field turf. JMU would probably be another option. These other locations would have to be willing to host as well. We can't assume that they would.

Reactions: WP02alum
I think Liberty should host 1&2A with the 3&4A moved to UVA. I think 5&6 are fine where they are. Otherwise put them all at UVA with 1-3 playing Saturday and 4-6 on Sunday.

You will never get games SCHEDULED on a Sunday. Sure, occasionally you may have games rescheduled then, but it certainly won't be scheduled up front.

Not from you for sure, but I don't understand the need for criticism towards stadiums/staff/etc.

1. You can't just say should play somewhere. The stadium has to be available and 2 there is the matter of paying for it. Along the same lines, the point from the start was to have s neutral location, Salem works well for that. As for other Classes, I think that was the idea, but then there was complaining so now 5 and 6 is Va Beach area.

2. All those folks at Salem (and at least hospitality at other locations) are VOLUNTEERS. I had nice chats with folks when SD played there and I had hospitality passes.

3. Sure, they are searching for outside food and drink secondarily. Just think of all the issues that we have heard about from schools last few years with regards to violence, threats of violence, etc.

4. I don't have an issue with any of the locations, and I don't think that any school is going to fill up any of these stadiums, so I don’t see that as a hindrance. And I absolutely understand the criticism of LCA playing a "home game", but these things have to be planned in advance. And I believe that contracts for sites are done years in advance.

Liberty probably offers the facility use to VHSL for free, so you can be sure that site ain’t changin! Also, it’s a great stadium, arguably no better in the state.

Assuming VT or UVA would even want games, or be affordable, do you guys remember how empty those huge stands looked? A crowd of less than 10,000 looks pretty empty in a stadium that seats more than 60,000.

There are certainly improvements that can be made, but the setup right now is very good. JMU would be a good alternative to LU or SS, IF they are interested in hosting.

Assuming VT or UVA would even want games, or be affordable, do you guys remember how empty those huge stands looked? A crowd of less than 10,000 looks pretty empty in a stadium that seats more than 60,000.

There are certainly improvements that can be made, but the setup right now is very good. JMU would be a good alternative to LU or SS, IF they are interested in hosting.
U of R was mentioned in the past as a possibility.
Question, how large are the facilities at Bridgewater, Hampton Sydney, Virginia State, Virginia Union, and Randolph Macon?

I’m sure many of these smaller colleges have facilities worthy of State Championship games.

Question, how large are the facilities at Bridgewater, Hampton Sydney, Virginia State, Virginia Union, and Randolph Macon?

I’m sure many of these smaller colleges have facilities worthy of State Championship games.

Some of the ones you mentioned are quite frankly inferior to Salem Stadium. Some of them even have tracks around them (enjoy sitting that much further away), the away seating at a couple is downright embarrassing and would be wholly inadequate for a state finals game. Some are tiny (1850 is the lowest capacity), some are even bigger than Salem Stadium so again, the issue with how bad the stands look when fans can't fill them well.

One would be hopeful, especially for C1, now that the Riverheads cloud has lifted, that new blood finds its way to the title game and brings a bigger draw. Quite frankly, I doubt Riverheads supported as much last Saturday as they did when their run first began and I've seen that happen to multiple fanbases (Mount Union brought far less in the 2010s and than they did in the 90s when their dynasty was young and I went to a LOT of Stagg Bowls). The title game loses its allure as an in-person draw to some fans when you go over and over and over, especially in a short period of time. A chance for other C1 programs to hoist the trophy should draw bigger crowds.

Google:

BC 3,500
HS 1,850
VA St 13,000
Va Union 10,000
RM 5,000

Riverheads has played @ Liberty in 2000, JMU in 2006 and Salem numerous times . I will say Salem has really gone down hill over the years . Salem needs a little TLC

I remember Centreville vs Ocean Lakes being played there a few years ago. It was still a crazy atmosphere considering how big the stadium was. Some of these 1A/2A schools bring just as big of a crowd as the 5A/6A schools so it could work.

U of R would be the perfect location. Stadium is super nice and the seating would be filled up on both sides.

VSU and VUU just redid their facilities recently so those are viable options as well.

Riverheads has played @ Liberty in 2000, JMU in 2006 and Salem numerous times . I will say Salem has really gone down hill over the years . Salem needs a little TLC
So it's really gone down? Last time I checked the field is in great shape for teams to play on and their is nothing wrong with the stadium outside of fixing a few things that have been broken during the season. Normal with all facilities. Guess what's good for NCAA is not good enough for C1-C2. Mitchell Stadium is the only C1-C2 stadium even in par with Salem Stadium

I think Salem is hosting the Stagg Bowl in another 53 weeks, hope the old girl will hold out until then. ;)

Reactions: SFUWO
I've always said VHSL should host all championship games at 1 location over 2 days. Liberty probably makes most sense logistically. It's the closest to being centrally located and having turf. But I doubt that will ever happen.

VHSL is who you need to complain to. They control all operations when it comes to State Finals. You might also complain about how a few fans of one of the losing teams last yr (Graham) might have ruined the meeting area in the grass as well. They did not want to follow rules and caused a scene where the police had to intervene.
Everyone standing by the gate was entirely up to them. That was not a designated meeting spot but people tend to always migrate there.
Most stadiums search bags. City Stadium in Lynchburg requires you to have a clear bag.
Did you get your hot chocolate?
Actually the police officers were telling people to go to the gate area to meet players & were only letting authorized people on the field. I guess the gate is the designated area of the police are directing people there.

Actually the police officers were telling people to go to the gate area to meet players & were only letting authorized people on the field. I guess the gate is the designated area of the police are directing people there.
Players are able to enter the stands to see family. Several of Centrals players did this and took pictures. Officers are not the ones in control of where you can meet and greet. People. They very well could have told you to go to the gate but that's not the designated area. As far as I know there was not one.

The venues are in charge of security; however, the VHSL distributes the passes. All access, media, and hospitality/VIP. You cannot get on the field without a pass. This is for protection and to keep undesirables from starting trouble. Very few on field passes are granted and they are closely monitored. Liberty's security staff was spot on and it sounds like Salem's did their job as well. If some of you knew how much work and money is put into these finals you would be a lot nicer. Just hosting a state semi is a bear. Trust me Salem does it right.

Players are able to enter the stands to see family. Several of Centrals players did this and took pictures. Officers are not the ones in control of where you can meet and greet. People. They very well could have told you to go to the gate but that's not the designated area. As far as I know there was not one.
Yes players can go in the stands but I heard the police officers on the Graham side myself tell fans to go to the gates to wait and players would meet them there. Maybe the officers just presumed it was the de facto unofficial designated area since it’s where everyone always meets. Officers are in fact in charge of where people can go or everyone would be on the field, lol.

The venues are in charge of security; however, the VHSL distributes the passes. All access, media, and hospitality/VIP. You cannot get on the field without a pass. This is for protection and to keep undesirables from starting trouble. Very few on field passes are granted and they are closely monitored. Liberty's security staff was spot on.
I'm pretty sure LU didn't have a meeting area for the families. Players just went up into the stands. Was it the same this yr.

Correct. Fans without passes where not allowed on the field. The security personnel were not rude at all, but you better have a pass or back up the steps you went. I actually saw two of them take pizzas from someone and deliver it to the trainers themselves. Honestly, I like the high level of security and I took note of a few things we could do better at our field.

I personally have never felt that Salem was inadequate for the two games played there. In fact two positives that have not been mentioned......the location right off a major highway and how easy it is for most teams to get there using that highway........and the parking. Large parking lot with a short level walk to get to the gates.

Are their concessions still as lame as they used to be? We'd always end up leaving during the grueling eternity between games to go get some grub because their food selections were always so lousy.

Glad to hear they got the Stagg Bowl back at least.

Are their concessions still as lame as they used to be? We'd always end up leaving during the grueling eternity between games to go get some grub because their food selections were always so lousy.

The concessions are run by the Lions Club. It's never been amazing but the money they raise is put back into the community. During the regular season they did have a couple food trucks. That's not a deal breaker for me. I hardly ever eat stadium food.

It's only coming back for one yr. CIAA will still be played there.

I personally have never felt that Salem was inadequate for the two games played there. In fact two positives that have not been mentioned......the location right off a major highway and how easy it is for most teams to get there using that highway........and the parking. Large parking lot with a short level walk to get to the gates.
I don't see how it can be inadequate for any team in the state. You can't please everyone. If it's not the concessions it's the lights, speakers, paint, ticket booth, yellow shirts. It's not about any of that. It's about the kids on the field. I have yet to hear a team complain about playing at Salem Stadium

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I don't see how it can be inadequate for any team in the state. You can't please everyone. If it's not the concessions it's the lights, speakers, paint, ticket booth, yellow shirts. It's not about any of that. It's about the kids on the field. I have yet to hear a team complain about playing at Salem Stadium
I think it’s very adequate. I think the biggest need is probably the restrooms need a little upgrade but the majority of high school facilities do in that area. The concessions were fine in my opinion too as far as high school football goes. Good selection & nice folks running it.

I think it’s very adequate. I think the biggest need is probably the restrooms need a little upgrade but the majority of high school facilities do in that area. The concessions were fine in my opinion too as far as high school football goes. Good selection & nice folks running it.
The bathrooms definitely need some work.

It's been yrs since I've been to Mitchell Stadium. I always looked forward to playing there. I went to some games when I was a student at Concord

So it's really gone down? Last time I checked the field is in great shape for teams to play on and their is nothing wrong with the stadium outside of fixing a few things that have been broken during the season. Normal with all facilities. Guess what's good for NCAA is not good enough for C1-C2. Mitchell Stadium is the only C1-C2 stadium even in par with Salem Stadium
I have been to Salem the past 8 years and a few times before that. The facilities are great in my opinion, I mean we played a state championship on our home field two years ago, not knocking our facilities but theyre not close to Salems.

Reactions: Bama1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT