ADVERTISEMENT

Salem's progress

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Haven't had a chance to comment on Salem's progress after Cave Spring. First Cave not very good this year. However, that being said and considered I saw improvement. They played with more speed, quickness and enthusiasm. The defensive line showed improvement. This improvement needs to continue. Yes, I know hidden valley is next and Salem should win, however they need to dispatch them like the Salem teams in the past have dispatched them, with a thorough butt kicking, don't let them hang around, Most importantly show growth on the defensive side of the ball. If this improvement continues, no one, I mean no one is going to want to see them in their bracket.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
First chance to judge will really be Pulaski and even then I'm not sure. POs will be when you can tell if things truly ever improved since Blacksburg or if they just coasted past 5 meh teams.

Region D is just a bloodbath in general. I think it's safe to say once the bracket is set, nobody is going to be happy with who they are playing, even the 1v8 matchup LOL!
I agree! There may be match-ups that a team feels more comfortable with over another but there will be no match-ups that a team will be guaranteed a victory.

Any chance that the Salem team that had Dinwiddie on the ropes discovers itself again? Maybe they get a big playoff win and get their mojo back

Any chance that the Salem team that had Dinwiddie on the ropes discovers itself again? Maybe they get a big playoff win and get their mojo back

It is interesting that to many that game almost seems forgotten this season. Yes, Dinwiddie is a better team with the elder Pope and other starters now back and healthy, but Salem losing three fumbles when they did probably gets it pretty close to a wash on the outcome had Dinwiddie had everyone all things considered. It was truly another classic thriller and anyone's game till the very end, mirroring last year's state championship with the exception of the different victor. That definitely shows Salem's capability, even when they have years like this one where they struggle to piece it all together.

Personally, they are still somewhat of a mystery to me. I look at the talent and experience they have and see what should be a more dominant and balanced team with a better record. However, they have played uncharacteristically sloppy at times and even more surprising, have lacked that "move as one organism" team concept for which they are so well known. Maybe there are some ego issues, maybe those in new positions are just taking longer to adjust and learn, or maybe the talent isn't quite there like it has been the last two years. I honestly don't know and am not close enough to those on the inside to have the real scoop.

What I will say is that having played against Salem myself for four years and watching many more of their games (especially the last two championship seasons), they are second to none at figuring things out at just the right time. A small adjustment here or there, a position change, an offensive wrinkle, super-charged togetherness, whatever you want to call it, their focus on the end goal is incredible come playoff time. If you take recent history (last 5 years), you get a program that has two close semi-final losses, was a runner-up, and of course has two state champion rings. That's damn impressive anyway you cut it.

Despite some of their poorer performances this year, they have some really good pieces to make another run. The offense has been pretty good all year, but has stepped on the gas the last three games, due in large part to much better O line play. Their new QB Gladden has seemed more poised and is making better decisions. He had one of his best throws all season against Cave when he threw it about 45 yards on a rope to Tucker, who dropped the sure TD pass. I actually think it surprised him how well it was thrown, since that had been a big issue earlier in the season. Of course, defensive matters have been the biggest woe and are most concerning. However, against Cave I noticed a much better team effort. I won't rehash what has already been said about the specific improvements, but what impressed me was players talking to players, helping each other up, and congratulating one another after big plays. That was the first "flash" of true Salem football that I have seen this year in the 5 games I have attended. Was it the return of their "mojo" you mentioned in your post? Not sure I can call it that yet, but if they build on last week's performance and wreck Pulaski at their stadium here in a few weeks, they'll deserve another spot at the state contenders table come PO time.

Last edited:
Salem football has what 2 losses? Burg and widdie, both teams that are a top their division, if they haven’t done much more than play those games they are prepared to make a run come November. Playoff football means a little more and the fact many of these kids haven’t seen a losing playoff effort/don’t know how to lose come win or go home time. Another poster is right Salem does make good adjustments which I attribute to Mags and his staff being one of the best at the HS level in the state. I don’t know if this team has that “IT” to get out of the region this year I could be wrong but this year isn’t quite the team they were advertised to be. However I think a lot of frauds will be exposed on the 4A west region side come playoff time.

Owen out for the season really hurts though. Very good running back and probably the best corner in the area.

Owen out for the season really hurts though. Very good running back and probably the best corner in the area.

That's awful to hear! I was hoping it might just be a sprain and he could return in a few weeks. I thought he did a stellar job at corner as well. I also liked what he added out of the backfield, especially as another target for Gladden. Several teams, including Dinwiddie, paid the price for not seeing him as that target. Is Pinello also out for the rest of the season?

That's awful to hear! I was hoping it might just be a sprain and he could return in a few weeks. I thought he did a stellar job at corner as well. I also liked what he added out of the backfield, especially as another target for Gladden. Several teams, including Dinwiddie, paid the price for not seeing him as that target. Is Pinello also out for the rest of the season?
I thought Pinello was really close to being back a few weeks ago... not sure what happened there.

I don't think Pinello is out for the year, but I'm not sure when he'll be back. (Concussion) Some JV guys have been pulled up to play Varsity in the last week or so- #31 LB Sutphin, #20 RB/CB Persinger, and #36 CB Farris.

Pinnello out with nono. Owen tornACL. Dennis still a no go. Sutphin out season broken wrist. Darnell out season knee.

I don't think Pinello is out for the year, but I'm not sure when he'll be back. (Concussion) Some JV guys have been pulled up to play Varsity in the last week or so- #31 LB Sutphin, #20 RB/CB Persinger, and #36 CB Farris.

Thanks for the update Mike. I thought Persinger looked excellent in the preseason scrimmages. Luke Reid and Zavion Wood are a couple other players that have impressed me off the JV squad. I'd love to see them get a shot as well. Owen will definitely be missed as a player on the field. However, I know he'll still be leading from the sidelines. I wish him the best!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Mike. I thought Persinger looked excellent in the preseason scrimmages. Luke Reid and Zavion Wood are a couple other players that have impressed me off the JV squad. I'd love to see them get a shot as well. Luke will definitely be missed as a player on the field. However, I know he'll still be leading from the sidelines. I wish him the best!
Pinello started with the Concussion and then MRSA, but the Mono is keeping him out now. Reid and Wood have been impressive for JV.

Thanks for the update Mike. I thought Persinger looked excellent in the preseason scrimmages. Luke Reid and Zavion Wood are a couple other players that have impressed me off the JV squad. I'd love to see them get a shot as well. Owen will definitely be missed as a player on the field. However, I know he'll still be leading from the sidelines. I wish him the best!
Wood can definitely play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT