Scrimmage/Benefit:

8/15 @ Brookville
8/23 vs William Byrd

Regular season:

8/30 @ Amherst County
9/6 vs Franklin County
9/13 OPEN
9/20 @ Northside
9/26 @ Blacksburg (Thursday- VT has a game on Friday night)
10/4 vs Christiansburg
10/11 @ Patrick Henry
10/18 vs Martinsburg WV
10/25 vs Cave Spring
11/1 vs Hidden Valley
11/8 @ Pulaski County

Tough schedule for new coach
Amherst with Christmas
6a Franklin County who looked better last year
Northside who came close last year and beat Salem 35-27, Heritage 61-26 and Lord Botetourt
Blacksburg who beat Pulaski twice, Salem , Lord Botetourt , Glass 35-14 and lost to eventual state champion in overtime.
Big 5a Patrick Henry, who should be improved
Pulaski, who everybody is saying watch out for.
Martinsburg West Va who has won 35 in a row

Tough schedule for new coach
Amherst with Christmas
6a Franklin County who looked better last year
Northside who came close last year and beat Salem 35-27, Heritage 61-26 and Lord Botetourt
Blacksburg who beat Pulaski twice, Salem , Lord Botetourt , Glass 35-14 and lost to eventual state champion in overtime.
Big 5a Patrick Henry, who should be improved
Pulaski, who everybody is saying watch out for.
Martinsburg West Va who has won 35 in a row
Actually Martinsburg hasn't lost the last 3 years if MaxPreps is accurate, so they've won 42 in a row.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Current win streak is 42. Last Virginia team to beat them in Virginia was Sherando in 2015. Martinsburg hasn’t lost a home game since 2007, that streak is currently at 55 games.

Current win streak is 42. Last Virginia team to beat them in Virginia was Sherando in 2015. Martinsburg hasn’t lost a home game since 2007, that streak is currently at 55 games.

That's impressive. I'm not familiar with WVa football. Over the course of the streaks, who was their most impressive win? It looks like Sherando has played them relatively close.

That's impressive. I'm not familiar with WVa football. Over the course of the streaks, who was their most impressive win? It looks like Sherando has played them relatively close.
They beat Briar Woods in I believe 2010 or 11, the year they won it all in Va . They have beat Tuscarora when they were on a run a couple of years later. No other teams in Northern Va. will play them .

They beat Briar Woods in I believe 2010 or 11, the year they won it all in Va . They have beat Tuscarora when they were on a run a couple of years later. No other teams in Northern Va. will play them .
Sounds like they would be a solid contender in 4A. Looking forward to this game.

Martinsburg defeated Briar Woods 8-7 in 2010. BW also lost to Liberty (Bealeton) 13-10, so Martinsburg wasn’t the Falcons’ only loss that year. BW played another squeaker that season against Millbrook, winning 10-8.

Tuscarora and Martinsburg have played twice, in 2013 and 2014, with Tuscarora winning both times: 35-34 in ‘13 (Huskies finished 9-3), and 40-21 in ‘14, when the Huskies finished 14-1 and lost only to L.C. Bird in the state 5A title game.

All scores courtesy of fourseasonsfootball.
http://fourseasonsfootball.com/va.html

Martinsburg also played Patrick Henry earlier this decade, winning 14-9 at home in 2011, and 22-10 in Roanoke in 2012.

Very solid schedule. An 8-2 record will make me think the Spartans are a contender for the state championship. I can see them dropping games to Martinsburg and/or Pulaski/Blacksburg. No big deal and no knock to their fans. When you play quality teams, you win quality prizes.

8/30 @ Amherst County
9/6 vs Franklin County
9/13 OPEN
9/20 @ Northside
9/26 @ Blacksburg (Thursday- VT has a game on Friday night)
10/4 vs Christiansburg
10/11 @ Patrick Henry
10/18 vs Martinsburg WV
10/25 vs Cave Spring
11/1 vs Hidden Valley
11/8 @ Pulaski County

Looks like a mixed bag, as far as the home side of the slate. Franklin County should be a good, tough game, and Martinsburg speaks for itself. On the other hand, you’ve got the unholy trinity of C’burg, Cave Spring, and Hidden Valley. Overall, what at this time appear to me to be the four toughest games - Franklin Co., @Northside, @B’burg, Martinsburg - are evenly split between home and away. Which I know was not intentional on anybody’s part, but at least it seems equitable.

I don’t like the Thursday game, and I don’t like the ever-increasing presence college football has on Friday nights. But, no one consulted me. I do like the home games on three consecutive Fridays. It seems like it’s been a long time since Salem had three straight weeks at home in the regular season, although fourseasonsfootball.com says it happened in 2014. I would have guessed much longer ago.

As far as results, still too early to make solid predictions until we’re sure who’s going to be out there. But as of today, my guess would be anything between 10-0 and 8-2.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNation85
Looks like a mixed bag, as far as the home side of the slate. Franklin County should be a good, tough game, and Martinsburg speaks for itself. On the other hand, you’ve got the unholy trinity of C’burg, Cave Spring, and Hidden Valley. Overall, what at this time appear to me to be the four toughest games - Franklin Co., @Northside, @B’burg, Martinsburg - are evenly split between home and away. Which I know was not intentional on anybody’s part, but at least it seems equitable.

I don’t like the Thursday game, and I don’t like the ever-increasing presence college football has on Friday nights. But, no one consulted me. I do like the home games on three consecutive Fridays. It seems like it’s been a long time since Salem had three straight weeks at home in the regular season, although fourseasonsfootball.com says it happened in 2014. I would have guessed much longer ago.

As far as results, still too early to make solid predictions until we’re sure who’s going to be out there. But as of today, my guess would be between 10-0 and 8-2.
IMO I can't help but say don't overlook Amherst 1st game of the year on the road. Amherst is coming off a 1-9 record, but have a good coach, and we'll see what surprises they have in their bag of tricks first. Remember Coach Christmas is very familiar with what Salem will likely run, but we don't really know what they'll run. Amherst generally has more speed at their disposal than JF does.

Reactions: lyhsports
IMO I can't help but say don't overlook Amherst 1st game of the year on the road. Amherst is coming off a 1-9 record, but have a good coach, and we'll see what surprises they have in their bag of tricks first. Remember Coach Christmas is very familiar with what Salem will likely run, but we don't really know what they'll run. Amherst generally has more speed at their disposal than JF does.

I’m not overlooking any team, or taking any game for granted. I’m not on the team, so I’m not sure how much that matters.

The fact that it’s the first game of the season, and will be Coach Holter’s first game at the helm will add an extra wrinkle.

I’m not overlooking any team, or taking any game for granted. I’m not on the team, so I’m not sure how much that matters.

The fact that it’s the first game of the season, and will be Coach Holter’s first game at the helm will add an extra wrinkle.
I didn't mean you specifically, in regards to overlooking anyone. I just meant that could be a tough game. I know the players and coaches won't be overlooking Amherst. That's all that matters.

I didn't mean you specifically, in regards to overlooking anyone. I just meant that could be a tough game. I know the players and coaches won't be overlooking Amherst. That's all that matters.

Yes, I knew what you were saying. I had a smiley face emoji after my first paragraph, but it’s vanished.

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT