ADVERTISEMENT

Screen names!!

On VA Preps since ‘99, not a big poster for years now but still lurk and read to stay in touch with game and happenings. Graduated from Stafford in ‘81 and am old and our moniker is Indian so hence the nickname. Athletic highlight - was a professional duckpin bowler for three years (lol) and played on the Stafford team that beat DeMatha on the football field. Later graduated from Maryland and then Oklahoma for grad school. Greatest accomplishment - my two sons and my daughter 😊

My niece couldn’t say my name when she was a toddler. She always called me Wikki. She’s 30 now and it’s been with me ever since. I’ve been with preps since 2001. Yes I’m a big Amherst Lancer fan.

I struggled to get along with my dad growing up, but when I graduated, it was high school football that really helped mend that relationship. We started going to games together almost every Friday night until he passed away in 2016. Although we sometimes ventured out to further locations in SW VA, we mostly attended games in and around Roanoke, so I joined VaPreps as "RKE Fan".

Love HS football and all the books and documentaries that go along with the great sport. IMO, the all time best HS football movie is All the Right Moves, starring Tom Cruise, and it is set in an era and that was everything great about the sport. Tough Pennsylvania steel town kids playing physical football and against their rival in a downpour with nothing but mud, the way football is meant to be played, lol.

Pulled mine out of my wa-zoo, just like most of my comments.
Grinch Smile GIF

I used to wear this board out, but that was in the 1998, 1999, 2000 era. It's been a long time.
My Screen name used to be SalemHokie. (I didn't even try to see if it still works).
I was at the Salem game on the Victory Stadium field in 1996.
I have found a new kindled reason for getting on here, looking for 11.

I love high school football in Virginia. Started going to games over 40 years ago with my Dad. That slowed down the two years when I played Varsity, but we always went to a playoff game when we weren't in the playoffs. We also didn't see too many together when I officiated for a year when I was in community college and my first year away at college in Southwest Virginia when I would come back home to officiate when I didn't get gigs with the local association down there.

He's no longer with us and I still carry on the tradition of following the sport and going to games myself. I still think of him when I'm at a game; whether it be our alma mater or some random contest and I tear up from time to time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT