ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage thoughts?

ACFC

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2013
The boards are quiet after most teams in the area scrimmaged last night. What are your thoughts?

The boards are quiet after most teams in the area scrimmaged last night. What are your thoughts?
From the battlefield.
I’ll be interested to see Spotsylvania this year. They’re moving up and the competition wasn’t the best last night but they looked great. Deep at running back and a huge OL. Their defense was flying around and very aggressive.
Courtland’s defense could carry them this year. Once they settled in against MV they looked solid.
I wasn’t there but I heard Eastern View’s defense looked great Thursday night as well. They’ve have had good defenses the past few years but sounds like this one could be the best.

I watched about an hour of the Sherando/Musselman scrimmage this morning. To preface this I’ll say that Musselman did extremely well last year with an 11-2 record falling to Martinsburg both times with a combined score of 112-14. I’m not sure how much the return to the field this season but I’d give them the edge over in Sherando in what I saw in the hour I was there.

Sherando was definitely bigger but they just didn’t have me feeling confident on any aspect really. Obviously it is a scrimmage and Coach Hall never does a whole lot during the scrimmage but I’m talking about basic fundamentals. Not breaking down on tackles, missed assignments in defensive secondary (Musselman had a catch and run for around 70 yards against first D).

Offensively I believe Sherando had one decent drive but the only thing I took away from it was the starting QB is very athletic and was able to make plays with his feet but I didn’t see much of his arm. I’m not sure if it was Musselman’s coverage or Campbell was just not seeing the field. Of course Payne Bauer is a force to be reckon with hasn’t missed a beat but he’ll need a supporting cast. Poor ref got demolished by Bauer on one play.

Either way these kids are working hard and this is just one scrimmage of my thoughts for only 1 hour. I know both teams will take a lot away from this and become better come gameday.

Reactions: Shruikan
Courtland will have very good defense, was missing four starters for this scrimmage. The offense will be in catch up mode but has loads of potential. Spotsy has arguably their best team in 20 years! Running will be their specialty of choice as they are truly loaded at RB. Thier achilles heel will be depth and avoiding the injury bug. Schedule not that tought, sets them up for playoff run.

Anybody able to catch blacksburg, pulaski, jf, or ec glass? And what about the NOVA 4A schools? All we've read about is GW and Salem

I watched about an hour of the Sherando/Musselman scrimmage this morning. To preface this I’ll say that Musselman did extremely well last year with an 11-2 record falling to Martinsburg both times with a combined score of 112-14. I’m not sure how much the return to the field this season but I’d give them the edge over in Sherando in what I saw in the hour I was there.

Sherando was definitely bigger but they just didn’t have me feeling confident on any aspect really. Obviously it is a scrimmage and Coach Hall never does a whole lot during the scrimmage but I’m talking about basic fundamentals. Not breaking down on tackles, missed assignments in defensive secondary (Musselman had a catch and run for around 70 yards against first D).

Offensively I believe Sherando had one decent drive but the only thing I took away from it was the starting QB is very athletic and was able to make plays with his feet but I didn’t see much of his arm. I’m not sure if it was Musselman’s coverage or Campbell was just not seeing the field. Of course Payne Bauer is a force to be reckon with hasn’t missed a beat but he’ll need a supporting cast. Poor ref got demolished by Bauer on one play.

Either way these kids are working hard and this is just one scrimmage of my thoughts for only 1 hour. I know both teams will take a lot away from this and become better come gameday.

All great information. Thanks for the write up.

I think it should be mentioned though that Musselman beat Sherando by like four touchdowns last year in the scrimmage. Still, what you've said about the missed tackles and problems in the secondary is concerning. I hope that can be worked out before the start of the season.

Courtland will have very good defense, was missing four starters for this scrimmage. The offense will be in catch up mode but has loads of potential. Spotsy has arguably their best team in 20 years! Running will be their specialty of choice as they are truly loaded at RB. Thier achilles heel will be depth and avoiding the injury bug. Schedule not that tought, sets them up for playoff run.
Spotsy was much deeper than Courtland on offense and defense. As long as that big oline stays healthy they should make noise in 4B

Dinwiddie faired very well against Henrico and LC Bird. Scrimmaged Henrico first 3 td's to 1 Dinwiddie. Henrico has a really good back #21, but their passing game was not nearly up to last years standards.

Against Bird we moved the ball well on offense, but only put up one score. Another was called back due to a block in the back. LC Bird has a strong running game and scored after an 12 play drive. Dinwiddie held bird to a punt and loss on downs on their other two drives. Dinwiddie threw a pick in the red zone and turned the ball over on downs at the 10 on their other two drives.

The good thing is I believe we have two very competent qb's (Slade, sr., Hilton, soph). The question is who will Mills choose. Slade is a super smart game manager with an accurate arm, but does not run well. Hilton is very athletic and gives us a true read option weapon. He has a strong arm, but takes risk. To put it plainly Slade compares to Bryce Witt (2016) and Hilton plays like Pope (2018).

After seeing the team live today I do believe our offense is sound. Defensively, we need to polish up some things, but based on our losses I am proud of our effort. We had two d lineman out today. One was our D1 prospect (Johnson).

Im still not sold on a victory against GW Danville, but I feel a whole lot better. Cant imagine them being that much better than Bird or Henrico. Should be a good one.

I wasn't able to make it to either of the Sherando scrimmages, but I heard the first one against Musselman was rough. Hopefully they get the shake of things by the start of the season. Also not surprised about the missing tackles thing, seems like Sherando has had issues with that for years. I would like to see a two QB offense this year. What do you think the offense will look like from what you've seen?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT