ADVERTISEMENT

Seen enough

I won't act like I can judge Salem football nearly as well as those who have been loyal to the program for decades. However, just looking at recent history shows to not sell them short after the first few games. In 2016, Amherst hung 42 on them the first game and they barely got by Byrd on a late score in the following game. Even later in the season, PH played them close despite the fact that they just nipped a 2-8 Jefferson Forrest squad during the second game that year. Salem then went on to beat a Dinwiddie team for the title that I would put up there as one of the best teams they had ever played. In 2017, Dinwiddie got there revenge early and then two weeks later the Spartans got absolutely smashed by Blacksburg. Well, Salem only went on to a third straight state championship beating a Louisa team that had just rolled over undefeated Monacan and Dinwiddie.
I like this team. As a coach, if I'm having to choose between offensive and defensive issues early in the season, I'm taking offensive all day long. Defensively, Salem is solid. I didn't say perfect. Yes, they've had a few slips and will have more, but overall at this point of the season, the defense seems better than both the 2016 and 2017 championship teams. Offensively, the O-line is struggling. However, even with modest improvement, they have the athletes to light up the scoreboard. Not having Persinger hurt last night, but the sophomore Leftwich looks to be improving and Wood is like 1More mentioned, a monster! They certainly have more threats at wideout than last year (and most years). QB Chaney was rusty last night, but played well against Amherst and FC. I also love seeing Logan as a decent punter who can take off and run or throw at any give time. Teams will have to prepare for that after seeing the FC and Northside films. One more thing to mention is the bye week. In four years of playing varsity football at Northside, we never played one of our best games after the week off. Hickam hated that week. There's just something about getting out of the normal routine, pattern, mindset, etc... that often translates into sloppy play that next game for some teams.
Well stated. As always, your post are well thought out, and thoroughly explained.

I hope you are doing well, my friend. Hopefully we can cross paths at LU in December? I'm going to that game regardless of who is playing.

Reactions: RKE Fan
Why was Persinger out Friday night? I’m surmising (perhaps incorrectly) from comments in this thread that it was not injury-related?
I was at practice Monday when he got hit and he was down for a minute or two. He didn't practice anymore the rest of the week. He did dress out for practice and the game which kind of makes me think it wasn't as serious as it could have been. I think sitting him out was more precautionary early in the season. If it would have been the playoffs IDK if he would have been sitting? I don't say that to question coaching or trainers, but if he was seriously dinged I don't think he would have been at practice or dressed out. Anyway, that's just my opinion for what it's worth. He should be good to go Thursday.

Well stated. As always, your post are well thought out, and thoroughly explained.

I hope you are doing well, my friend. Hopefully we can cross paths at LU in December? I'm going to that game regardless of who is playing.
Thanks DP! I am doing well. I will likely be at LU in December. I only missed last year because of a nasty case of the flu. Your Generals seemed to be in the thick of it right out of the gate. Tough schedule to start and doesn’t look to get any easier. They should definitely be battle-tested by the time the playoffs roll around.

Last edited:
I think you saying "beat the brakes off them" is what got MV fans upset...I aint an MV fan by any means but I was at this game and I wouldnt say MV got the destroyed. It was a tight game the whole time...and MV did have 2 touchdowns called back on some shady calls IMO...refs were way bad! But thats what we get down in HCO Mville area! LOL I think MV aint a bad team they are just playing inconsistent right now. They def could of won the game and had opportunities...so the statement "beat the brakes off them" I dont think it really applies...yeah MV lost and FC won they were def the better team the other night!

This is such a nonsense post you're only making because FC won. There's tons of terrible D5 and 6 teams. They don't magically have better football teams because there's more students. FC doesn't march out 150 varsity players (using your logic, FC nearly doubling MV's school enrollment should equal far higher football numbers). It's also weird for you to make excuses for why MV shouldn't win then go "but FC's really not that good in D6 and won't make it far in the POs". The gap between D6 and D3 isn't some unclimbable mountain. Phoebus beats D5 and D6 Tidewater teams all the time, Lake Taylor does the same (although maybe there's a huge gap between D3 and D4, who knows).

I mean, these teams played last year when MV finished 5-6 and MV won. And in 2017. And 2016. And 2015. And 2014. And 2013. And, no, FC actually won in 2012. Maybe they wore them out with their superior numbers that year.

This is such a nonsense post you're only making because FC won. There's tons of terrible D5 and 6 teams. They don't magically have better football teams because there's more students. FC doesn't march out 150 varsity players (using your logic, FC nearly doubling MV's school enrollment should equal far higher football numbers). It's also weird for you to make excuses for why MV shouldn't win then go "but FC's really not that good in D6 and won't make it far in the POs". The gap between D6 and D3 isn't some unclimbable mountain. Phoebus beats D5 and D6 Tidewater teams all the time, Lake Taylor does the same (although maybe there's a huge gap between D3 and D4, who knows).

I mean, these teams played last year when MV finished 5-6 and MV won. And in 2017. And 2016. And 2015. And 2014. And 2013. And, no, FC actually won in 2012. Maybe they wore them out with their superior numbers that year.

I think you saying "beat the brakes off them" is what got MV fans upset...I aint an MV fan by any means but I was at this game and I wouldnt say MV got the destroyed. It was a tight game the whole time...and MV did have 2 touchdowns called back on some shady calls IMO...refs were way bad! But thats what we get down in HCO Mville area! LOL I think MV aint a bad team they are just playing inconsistent right now. They def could of won the game and had opportunities...so the statement "beat the brakes off them" I dont think it really applies...yeah MV lost and FC won they were def the better team the other night!
What does HCO stand for?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT