ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah Teams FINALLY Ready to Lock Horns With One Another!

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
After six weeks of traveling all over the state, or having other teams travel as the case may have been, it is finally time for the six Shenandoah District teams to get personally acquainted with one another, which they will do over the final five weeks of regular season action. However, that news, as exciting as it is, does have sort of a good news/bad news vibe to it.

The good news is that long road trips, and everybody had at least one of those, are now behind us and every game from here on out will be a half hour drive or less. Of course playoffs will mean more frequent flyer miles for the teams that make the field but we will cross those bridges when we get to them. Also each school should benefit from the larger crowds in terms of better gate receipts, more hot dogs coming off the grill, etc. And this first week at least, the paper even promises us a, and I quote, "sunny and delightful" day for the first round of games.

As for the "bad" news, with only six teams in the league, that means that we will have only three games each week to kick around. Also there is not going to be a whole lot of drama involved until we get to that final week of the regular season, which will be November 8th. All eyes that night will be on the Riverheads at Stuarts Draft game, which in all likelihood will feature two unbeaten teams fighting for the district crown.

Now I realize that leaves four other teams out there (or their fans on here I should say) who are going to howl and say "Hey how about us? We might have something to say about that you know." But will they really............

I am not sure any of them will. In fact, I cannot honestly say that any of the four has made a statement yet that they will challenge for the title or that they will even be able to beat each of the other three. So a four-way tie for third place would not be a huge shock at the end of the season.

Let's start with the two teams, Buffalo Gap and Fort Defiance, that each have a 3-2 record thus far. Respectable of course but let's be honest and examine who they have beaten. Correct me if I am wrong but those six wins have come over Bath County, Parry McCluer, Waynesboro, Broadway, and Stonewall Jackson, five teams that have, are you ready, ONE combined win between them.

So sorry Bison and Indian fans, but there are just no marquee wins there to hang your hats on. Hopefully one or both of you can still make the playoffs, and if one of you wants to knock off Stuarts Draft (er I mean knock off one of the big boys!!!) go ahead and do it, but on paper I don't see it happening.

Which brings me to the Staunton Storm. They are only 2-3 and they were annihilated at home Friday by Lord Botetourt. But let's not forget that before that, they knocked off a previously-undefeated Turner Ashby team on the road. So if there is one team among these four that DOES have a signature win and might have the clearer path to a third place finish, it just may be Coach Phillips' guys.

That leaves Wilson as still my expected bottom feeder, but they might pull off a win or two somewhere along the line. At the time they beat Waynesboro 41-0, that sounded like a great feat, but look what the Giants have turned out to be. So I have Wilson at the bottom only because somebody has to be there.

So what does all of this mean.........in all probability, each of the next four weeks will have: A) the game that Riverheads will win easily; B) the game that Stuarts Draft will win easily; and C) one competitive game matching two of the other four. So let's get the party started with this Friday's opening slate............

Riverheads at Wilson: The Hornets have put up some respectable points against quality teams such as Spotswood and Turner Ashby and in fact the overall quality of their schedule far exceeds that of BG or FD, so maybe I am underestimating them. But they also give up a ton of points, so they will not be able to stop the Big Red Machine enough to make this one competitive. The visitors will roll easily.

Stuarts Draft at Buffalo Gap: Having said all that I said above, I will not even begin to rule out a Bison win in this one, especially since they have had an extra week to prepare for it. Likewise, the Cougars could very easily fall into the trap of a Luray hangover and come out sluggish for this one. But on paper I have to go with the Draft by about three TDs. Expect a 49-28 kind of shootout though instead of any kind of defensive slugfest.

Fort Defiance at Staunton: As I said, expect one potential nailbiter per week and this week, it should be this one. Each team has faced a challenging schedule and taken its lumps, so the winner will be the team that can put all that behind them and focus the best on being ready for the rest of the season. Call it a toss-up and it might even be decided by a missed or made PAT. I will go with the home team by three points or less.

@longtimerhsfan, I agree with all of that.

I am going to recant my statements from earlier in the year about Wilson being better than most expect. I truly believe they have athletes to compete, the thing is a good many are either dressed out watching from the sideline or just spectators. Its been like that for more years than not so nothing new there.

Draft will roll Gap as you described. The saving grace for Gap may be that they are decent against the run but Draft has a very effective passing game as well so it will take a extraordinary defensive effort to stay within 3 td's. Possible yes, probable no.

Staunton has played a tougher schedule IMO but are a tale of two teams every week. Never really sure which one will show up. I have to believe that athletically, the storm have an advantage overall but Fort has a few very good players on par with anyone in the district. That one truly is a toss up but the winner of this one goes a long way in securing the third spot in the 'doah.

Like you, I do not think that the anyone beats Draft or Riverheads from the other four but it is always possible.

Curious why you think SD/BG could be a shootout or that BG would score 28?

Not saying it can't happen, as anyone can be beat or scored upon on any given night, but prior to Luray game SD had given up 14 points (7 on the starters).

Luray is probably favored to win out and win the BR, and I would think that Luray and Clarke would have been the 2 of 3 best teams on either the "Top Teams" schedules, along with Glenvar.

I guess I was thinking a combination of the following: SD giving up 27 to Luray; Gap scoring 20 against East Rock and of course bunches in their three aforementioned wins; and although my memory is shaky on this one, didn't the two have something like a 35-34 game last year over at the Draft? So the picture I have of the Bison is that they can score and stay with someone but only to a point.

Reactions: obguthr
After six weeks of traveling all over the state, or having other teams travel as the case may have been, it is finally time for the six Shenandoah District teams to get personally acquainted with one another, which they will do over the final five weeks of regular season action. However, that news, as exciting as it is, does have sort of a good news/bad news vibe to it.

The good news is that long road trips, and everybody had at least one of those, are now behind us and every game from here on out will be a half hour drive or less. Of course playoffs will mean more frequent flyer miles for the teams that make the field but we will cross those bridges when we get to them. Also each school should benefit from the larger crowds in terms of better gate receipts, more hot dogs coming off the grill, etc. And this first week at least, the paper even promises us a, and I quote, "sunny and delightful" day for the first round of games.

As for the "bad" news, with only six teams in the league, that means that we will have only three games each week to kick around. Also there is not going to be a whole lot of drama involved until we get to that final week of the regular season, which will be November 8th. All eyes that night will be on the Riverheads at Stuarts Draft game, which in all likelihood will feature two unbeaten teams fighting for the district crown.

Now I realize that leaves four other teams out there (or their fans on here I should say) who are going to howl and say "Hey how about us? We might have something to say about that you know." But will they really............

I am not sure any of them will. In fact, I cannot honestly say that any of the four has made a statement yet that they will challenge for the title or that they will even be able to beat each of the other three. So a four-way tie for third place would not be a huge shock at the end of the season.

Let's start with the two teams, Buffalo Gap and Fort Defiance, that each have a 3-2 record thus far. Respectable of course but let's be honest and examine who they have beaten. Correct me if I am wrong but those six wins have come over Bath County, Parry McCluer, Waynesboro, Broadway, and Stonewall Jackson, five teams that have, are you ready, ONE combined win between them.

So sorry Bison and Indian fans, but there are just no marquee wins there to hang your hats on. Hopefully one or both of you can still make the playoffs, and if one of you wants to knock off Stuarts Draft (er I mean knock off one of the big boys!!!) go ahead and do it, but on paper I don't see it happening.

Which brings me to the Staunton Storm. They are only 2-3 and they were annihilated at home Friday by Lord Botetourt. But let's not forget that before that, they knocked off a previously-undefeated Turner Ashby team on the road. So if there is one team among these four that DOES have a signature win and might have the clearer path to a third place finish, it just may be Coach Phillips' guys.

That leaves Wilson as still my expected bottom feeder, but they might pull off a win or two somewhere along the line. At the time they beat Waynesboro 41-0, that sounded like a great feat, but look what the Giants have turned out to be. So I have Wilson at the bottom only because somebody has to be there.

So what does all of this mean.........in all probability, each of the next four weeks will have: A) the game that Riverheads will win easily; B) the game that Stuarts Draft will win easily; and C) one competitive game matching two of the other four. So let's get the party started with this Friday's opening slate............

Riverheads at Wilson: The Hornets have put up some respectable points against quality teams such as Spotswood and Turner Ashby and in fact the overall quality of their schedule far exceeds that of BG or FD, so maybe I am underestimating them. But they also give up a ton of points, so they will not be able to stop the Big Red Machine enough to make this one competitive. The visitors will roll easily.

Stuarts Draft at Buffalo Gap: Having said all that I said above, I will not even begin to rule out a Bison win in this one, especially since they have had an extra week to prepare for it. Likewise, the Cougars could very easily fall into the trap of a Luray hangover and come out sluggish for this one. But on paper I have to go with the Draft by about three TDs. Expect a 49-28 kind of shootout though instead of any kind of defensive slugfest.

Fort Defiance at Staunton: As I said, expect one potential nailbiter per week and this week, it should be this one. Each team has faced a challenging schedule and taken its lumps, so the winner will be the team that can put all that behind them and focus the best on being ready for the rest of the season. Call it a toss-up and it might even be decided by a missed or made PAT. I will go with the home team by three points or less.

LMAO

I guess I was thinking a combination of the following: SD giving up 27 to Luray; Gap scoring 20 against East Rock and of course bunches in their three aforementioned wins; and although my memory is shaky on this one, didn't the two have something like a 35-34 game last year over at the Draft? So the picture I have of the Bison is that they can score and stay with someone but only to a point.

Yes, it was 35-34. Mostly by Mr. Rivenburg, and he is gone and SD won that game. I was just very surprised to see thinking they would score the most points against SD on the season.

From what I remember reading with updates, BG still had some starters in against Bath in 2nd half and put up 71, whereas Page put up 55 against Bath in 1st half.

And then there is the part that I just remembered, that when SD played Clarke you said didn't think SD was 42 better than BG so you picked CC. So by that logic then SD should be 56 better right?

Now I don't think SD will score more than what they did against Luray (if they are fortunate enough to get that much), as they won't run score up on an outmatched team like the opponent has appeared to do recently.

You could be exactly right, but I don't think the previous data would support it. The Clarke game as a comparison, and being the most that they have given up all year.

It was not until SD went up to Clarke and won that I accepted them as a true contender. Prior to that they had three easy wins over sub-par teams. But they proved themselves to me with that win and solidified it when they beat Luray. As for what kind of game they will get from BG, that is hard to say. Maybe somewhere between a shut out and a shootout.

It was not until SD went up to Clarke and won that I accepted them as a true contender. Prior to that they had three easy wins over sub-par teams. But they proved themselves to me with that win and solidified it when they beat Luray. As for what kind of game they will get from BG, that is hard to say. Maybe somewhere between a shut out and a shootout.

I agree on contender thing, and actually didn't disagree with 42 points thing, I was just saying that the way you presented it seemed flawed. At this moment, not seeing BG, and you know I tell it like it is, no rose colored glasses, I don't think SD is 56 points better.

I just don't know how using Luray can gauge SD defense. Just as I don't know how using Skyline would gauge RH. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion (which could be right), but I don't know how last years game can give much info on this year. I think Gap lost a lot, and certainly their best player, so it would be like using ER from last year to gauge RH, and we see how that would have worked out.

Gap right now is REALLY hard to gauge on what they could do. The 2 teams they have played who are even decent they have gotten blown out, but they blew out teams who are very down this year.

But going off your 42 point thing, SD is 56 points better than BG, and RH is a whopping 73 points better. Now I am fine with BOTH those margins happening haha, but I don't think they are THAT bad.

For reference
SD: 43.4 points per game and giving up 8.2

I think
Curious why you think SD/BG could be a shootout or that BG would score 28?

Not saying it can't happen, as anyone can be beat or scored upon on any given night, but prior to Luray game SD had given up 14 points (7 on the starters).

Luray is probably favored to win out and win the BR, and I would think that Luray and Clarke would have been the 2 of 3 best teams on either the "Top Teams" schedules, along with Glenvar.
I W&L is right there with those teams, it’s going to come down to the last game of season we all know it I’ve known it for awhile but that one game doesn’t me the team that wins is the best you got to win when it counts

I think

I W&L is right there with those teams, it’s going to come down to the last game of season we all know it I’ve known it for awhile but that one game doesn’t me the team that wins is the best you got to win when it counts

They very well may be. And while I don't see it happening, there is still 4 games for each.

I used those 3 teams because they are 2a. The point being is that Luray or Clarke could realistically end at 9-1 (play each other). I wouldn't let the high scoring nature of the 1 game lead to thinking what appears to be an inferior team to score even more.

Gunz I am with you on your logic last year doesn’t matter and the score of another game doesn’t to determine the score of this game but scores collectively can help predetermine a score. 35-14 draft is my predetermined score

Having seen both teams play Clarke, Draft can pick their score.

1. 42-0 while burning some clock
  2. 70-0 with some quick scores
  3. 84-0 if they want.

They won’t post 84 because they seem to respect the game, but it’s an option.

No trolling or disrespect Intended. I’m just making a guess based on what these old eyes showed me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT