ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah Teams Starting to Define Themselves---Here Comes Week 2!

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Although there were no "upsets" Friday night in the first weekend of district play, two teams, Buffalo Gap and Fort Defiance, each made statements in which they indicated that they may yet have something to say about the way the district race turns out. So as the season progresses, will the Bison be able to give Riverheads a similarly-tough game (which will be the week before the highly-anticipated RHS/SD showdown) or will the Indians be strong enough to knock off either of the big boys? Should be fun to find out!

With four weeks to go in the regular season, my revised take on the situation is that the two heavyweights should be able to survive the rest of the district and still have their winner-take-all game on November 8th. But BG and FD now seem to be the obvious choices for the 3 and 4 spots, and a potential playoff berth. Of course keep in mind that they compete in different classifications (BG in 2, FD in 3) so it won't necessarily be a case of one or the other. Both "could" still make it, but since they are each borderline in the rankings, it may turn out that the winner when they face each other will notch a 6-4 winning season and a playoff berth, whereas the loser of that game might sit at home at 5-5. But time will tell on that issue.

As for the remaining teams, Staunton and Wilson, they are facing definite uphill battles in terms of playoff aspirations and/or winning seasons, but you can bet they will keep fighting and may set new goals to play spoiler against the other teams. With all of that in mind, this week's slate of three games seems a little more predictable than it might have been at this time last week, but don't be surprised if one or more of these is closer than expected.

Staunton at Buffalo Gap: After their strong effort against the Cougars Friday, you can expect the Bison to keep the pedal to the metal and knock off the Storm, which is a team headed in the wrong direction. In fact Staunton's overtime win at TA a few weeks ago now looks as if it will be the highlight of Coach Phillips' debut season. Look for the Bison to roll by 2-3 scores in this one unless the visitors can rediscover that TA mojo.

Fort Defiance at Riverheads: This will be an interesting game for a lot of reasons. First of all, it will amazingly be their first match-up since 1981. Being in the same county, you would think they would have played one another frequently but the Indians spent most of that time in the larger Valley District where they simply had fewer openings. As a result the teams will know very little about one another. Secondly the Fort is on a roll, as mentioned above, and should be excited about the opportunity to knock off both Riverheads AND Stuarts Draft and upset the apple cart. I personally don't see an Indian victory here, but I do see the potential for this to be the Big Red's closest game of the season thus far. I doubt seriously if they will match their 48-point scoring average, so instead I see a tight first half (14-0 or 14-7) with a gradual separation in the second half. Maybe something like a 35-20 final.

Stuarts Draft at Wilson: This rivalry has produced some strange and unexpected results over the years, but I don't see any such thing happening this time. Wilson did not display much offensive punch at all Friday against the Big Red and their defense seemed susceptible to both the rush and the pass, whereas the Cougars can do either of those equally well. The Hornets will be fired up of course but SD should be able to put this one away early. Look for something like a 42-7 final.

It will probably be really close for the last 2/3 spots for playoffs, unless one of the 3 (Gap, East Rockingham, Staunton) pulls off and upset.

At present Staunton (7th) has 8 points on ER (8th) and 13 on Buffalo Gap.

Gap has Fort, Riverheads, Staunton, and Wilson left.

Staunton has Gap, Riverheads, Stuarts Draft, and Wilson left

If you just go by Fort being 3rd, Staunton 4th, and Staunton 5th in district you would get with the 4 remaining games Gap being 2-2 and Staunton 1-3.

Without doing past points, just those games, BG would get 78 and Staunton 64 and ER would get 69

So without the past riders, their totals from that would be

Staunton 165
East Rockingham 162
Buffalo Gap 166

I have waited to post on this and agree with most things @longtimerhsfan posts on here. A few points of contention with this week though are as follows.

1. I could be in the minority but I just don't see Gap as being that much different than Staunton. They are a Jekyl and Hyde bunch that have yet to define who they are. Gap has a good defense but I do not see their offense as anything for Staunton to shudder over. To your point, I would argue that TA has a much more diverse offense and were defeated by the this Storm team. The biggest issue the Storm have is finding that second or third option. Its the Dodd show by default since no one else has stepped in there. In that regard, I do think Gap is able to limit him enough to win but I don't see 3 scores difference in this one.

2. The Riverheads game is a classic trap game. Most of the local "experts" have this as a cakewalk by Riverheads but I say not so fast. The Fort RB Bartley is as good a runner as we will see individually in the regular season. I am not sold that the Indians can pass but that would be the logical place to test the Red team since it has been shown to be at least somewhat effective (31 of 41 passing for Skyline). In the end, like @Baseball215 I think the Gladiators pull away barring a turnover fest.

3. Now to one of the county rivalries that always have their fans rabid for a win. Last week for the Cougars should have been a wakeup call to not overlook these area teams that have familiarity with their system. I do not see Wilson having nearly enough defense but strange things have happened in this series before. I see Draft naming their score. On a side note, I noticed longtime had Draft giving up a TD to the Hornets. Well I for one wouldn't be real surprised but look for another shutout by the more than capable Draft team. Diversity is not the name of the game in Fishersville and frankly I am going to rail on the coaching staff again for this. A very capable QB with a good many athletes to potentially put into positions to make plays. Instead its a few sweep plays, a FB trap or two and then roll the QB out in the flat with only one option to throw to. If they want to stay in this game, need to look to the game plan the Bison put together and just execute better. Look for crooked numbers to be put up by Draft in a big win.

It should be a good week to leave one game early and catch the second half of one if that's your thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT