ADVERTISEMENT

Shortest distance between schools in your district?

NNDman

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
Here in the Northern Neck District Rappahannock and Essex are about 9 miles apart and Rappahannock and Westmoreland are about 12 miles apart.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
For Giles, the closest is Auburn(38 miles). Giles and Narrows are both class 1, in the same county, 6 miles apart but play in different districts. Farthest is Grayson(80 miles).

Just for comparison, Dinwiddie has three district opponents just under 20 miles away. The other three district schools are all about 30-35 miles away.
OOD this year, 125, 111, 93, and Canton Ohio!

Reactions: obguthr
Back in the 80s, King Wiliam, Middlesex and Mathews were assigned to the Northern Neck District. Longest trip was Mathews to Washington & Lee in Montross of around 70 miles.

Reactions: gwb16
Since Buffalo Gap is now the only Shenandoah District team at the 1-A level, maybe we don't have as much to do with this discussion but to answer the question, the Shenandoah is about as compact a district as you could ask for.

All seven teams are located within the boundaries of Augusta County and even if you travel from one end to the other, such as Buffalo Gap to Waynesboro or Riverheads to Fort Defiance, you are still only talking about a 20-25 mile trip. Some of the schools are more like 5-7 miles from each other.

For me personally, although I am a Riverheads fan, I can travel to four of the other six schools faster than I can get to RHS.

Since Buffalo Gap is now the only Shenandoah District team at the 1-A level, maybe we don't have as much to do with this discussion but to answer the question, the Shenandoah is about as compact a district as you could ask for.

All seven teams are located within the boundaries of Augusta County and even if you travel from one end to the other, such as Buffalo Gap to Waynesboro or Riverheads to Fort Defiance, you are still only talking about a 20-25 mile trip. Some of the schools are more like 5-7 miles from each other.

For me personally, although I am a Riverheads fan, I can travel to four of the other six schools faster than I can get to RHS.
This is why I love living in Staunton. I can easily see every team in the district play at least once every year.

This is why I love living in Staunton. I can easily see every team in the district play at least once every year.
Staunton is a wonderful place. We rode up and took a ride on the scenic train this past spring. I highly recommend everyone try to take that train ride. We stayed in a B&B in town and that was super nice, too. The one thing that I found disappointing was that much of residential property along the railroad was pretty run down. It looks like most people along there never get rid of old vehicles or tires, they just leave them to rot in their yards. I was told that, that part of the county is pretty impoverished.

But, it was still a great trip to a beautiful city.

Sadly you are correct. That part of our county is the poorest so I am sure the scenery is not that appealing at times. There was talk of a similar train ride being offered between Staunton and Charlottesville and if it exists already or comes to pass in the future, that should be a much nicer trip. As for Staunton itself, it is indeed a terrific town. Very lively downtown with lots of nearby attractions. It is a very popular tourist stop.

I don’t remember the name of the coffee shop right across from the train station, but that was a very nice place. The host on the train were terrific. They made the experience exceptional. And the food was outstanding as well. We had plans to go back during this time of year when the leaves were changing, but it didn’t work out for us. So maybe next year.

I guess to be fair, property along railroad tracks is not normally prime real estate. So the fact that it looked a little rough is understandable.

LOL, I will add that all the hills in town really challenged this old man’s legs.

Not in same district, but two rival schools in Bluefield, VA, and Bluefield, WV. Graham of Bluefield, VA, and Bluefield High, WV are 3.5 miles from each other and bring in over 10,000 fans at their game every year.

Virginia High in Bristol, VA to Tennessee High in Bristol, TN is 2.9 miles.

None of the two games above are same districts, but they are big rivals and have played each other for years and are located in the same city, but different states.

In Three Rivers District

Radford to Alleghany is 89 miles and this is the furthest
Radford to Carroll County is 40 miles
Radford to Floyd County is 26 miles and the closest
Radford to Glenvar is 31 miles
Radford to James River Buchanan is 64 miles
Radford to Patrick County is 53 miles

Furthest trip in the district for 2 schools is Patrick County to Alleghany which is 127 miles and over 2.5 hours
Shortest distance out of any 2 schools in the district is Radford to Floyd County at 26 miles.

In Three Rivers District

Furthest trip in the district for 2 schools is Patrick County to Alleghany which is 127 miles and over 2.5 hours
Shortest distance out of any 2 schools in the district is Radford to Floyd County at 26 miles.

Floyd is still 40 minutes in a car from Radford, given you have to take the winding route 8.
The quickest drive is to Glenvar, if you are looking at total time in a car.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Floyd is still 40 minutes in a car from Radford, given you have to take the winding route 8.
The quickest drive is to Glenvar, if you are looking at total time in a car.

Did that little pizza place in downtown Floyd ever start doing deliveries?
They didn't the mid 90's.

In Three Rivers District

Safe travels down the mountain tonight my friend. Patrick County is much improved but it should be over by mid 3rd. I know Route 8 is gorgeous with the leaves turning colors.

Patrick Henry (Emory) and Chilhowie is just a short ride on I-81 is 9½ miles.
Patrick Henry and Holston is 12 miles
Chilhowie to Northwood is 8 miles
Patrick Henry to Northwood is 11 miles.

All off these schools cross boundaries with each other in one form or the other.

PH overlaps with Northwood and Chilhowie...kids that live on the Washington County side of Saltville or Chilhowie can chose to go to Smyth County schools if they wish.

Holston overlaps with Chilhowie...so some kids chose to go to Chilhowie. Very rarely the other way around.

Also kids that live in Tannersville, VA (Tazewell Co) go to Northwood but can take the looooooong trip across the mountain to Tazewell County HS (see Billy Wagner).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT