ADVERTISEMENT

Sideline Question

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Who has the authority to regulate and enforce who, other than players and coaches and other necessary participants, can be permitted along the sidelines? And what criteria is used to decide who can be along the sidelines. I’m aware of the players box and the media zones, but what is considered to be improperly inside of any regulated zones?

Who has the authority to regulate and enforce who, other than players and coaches and other necessary participants, can be permitted along the sidelines? And what criteria is used to decide who can be along the sidelines. I’m aware of the players box and the media zones, but what is considered to be improperly inside of any regulated zones?
The short answer is, this is a game administration issue (Athletic Director, etc.). The only rule coverage is 2-26-8 and it says: “No person, including but not limited to, spectators, game administrators or members of the media, shall be allowed within the restraining line.” The restraining line can be no closer than 2 yards from the sidelines/end lines. Field restraining lines can be (and often are) marked more than 2 yards.

Beyond that, as long as everyone is outside of the restraining lines, the officials are not involved in who is on the sidelines.

The short answer is, this is a game administration issue (Athletic Director, etc.). The only rule coverage is 2-26-8 and it says: “No person, including but not limited to, spectators, game administrators or members of the media, shall be allowed within the restraining line.” The restraining line can be no closer than 2 yards from the sidelines/end lines. Field restraining lines can be (and often are) marked more than 2 yards.

Beyond that, as long as everyone is outside of the restraining lines, the officials are not involved in who is on the sidelines.
I was thinking that it was primarily the purview of the game Administrator, outside of the “restraining line”, but I wasn’t positive.

With this being said, if a properly credentialed media member is deemed to have interfered with an official inside the restraining line, which team receives the penalty, should it be flagged?

The rules on sidelines pertain to players and nonplayers (coaches, substitutes, trainers, and “other team attendants”). So, basically team personnel. Media doesn’t fall into that category so they aren’t governed by these rules that could warrant a flag on the sideline.

However, as an official, we maintain jurisdiction of the field area, so in this scenario if a media member directly interferes with an official, I would likely have the interfering member relocated (either through direct conversation or by game administration if they aren’t compliant) to an area of the field where they can’t interfere through the remainder of the game. Usually this is a nonissue for officials if you have a good pre-snap routine each play of surveying your sideline. Almost everyone is compliant when you ask them to move back or relocate. Good sideline management by the official(s) avoids almost all of these issues.

Most officials understand media members are there to promote the game. It’s in our best interest to accommodate the media to keep HS football alive and well. We do our best to work with them for space on the field when we can. Not always the case, but usually.

The rules on sidelines pertain to players and nonplayers (coaches, substitutes, trainers, and “other team attendants”). So, basically team personnel. Media doesn’t fall into that category so they aren’t governed by these rules that could warrant a flag on the sideline.

However, as an official, we maintain jurisdiction of the field area, so in this scenario if a media member directly interferes with an official, I would likely have the interfering member relocated (either through direct conversation or by game administration if they aren’t compliant) to an area of the field where they can’t interfere through the remainder of the game. Usually this is a nonissue for officials if you have a good pre-snap routine each play of surveying your sideline. Almost everyone is compliant when you ask them to move back or relocate. Good sideline management by the official(s) avoids almost all of these issues.

Most officials understand media members are there to promote the game. It’s in our best interest to accommodate the media to keep HS football alive and well. We do our best to work with them for space on the field when we can. Not always the case, but usually.
Great explanation. Thank you very much.

Reactions: VAOfficial
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT