ADVERTISEMENT

Skyline 29 William Monroe 20

schoolboard

VaPreps All District
Oct 21, 2006
The Hawks jumped out to a 22-0 lead in the first half, and then had to hold on as the lead was cut to two in the 2nd half.
Outstanding effort by both teams. Skyline's defensive line played the best I have seen all season. Aidan Vaught had the first 3 touchdowns, but did not play most of the 2nd half due to injury. Since he is their best running back and receiver, let's hope that isn't serious. There's a good story in the NVDaily.

The young man can play, only a sophomore, has an arm as well. They definitely played with a different energy in the first half than has been on display for the first 4 games. Playing with the emotions of Logan’s passing was very present. But also had a big receiving threat walk off the field and basically quit in 3rd qt. That’s the negativity that continues to exist for both schools in Warren County.

Reactions: Rev_Real
I could not see the numbers on the jerseys so well from the press box. But I saw that player on the bench when he took his helmet off. And then I never saw him again, but I thought I just could not see the number. The last I remember seeing him on the field was when he was flagged for illegal blindside block.

Jersey’s definitely did not have the greatest design with the numbers. He had caught the screen pass before halftime, which is when he came off the field throwing his helmet. It’s one thing to loose your head, it’s an emotional game. But to walk off the sideline, leave your teammates and coaches, then return to the stands shouting explicits about the coaching staff, definitely no room for that in a program. He was heard by everyone in that section of stands. There’s no room for that at any point, but especially on that night, was uncalled for. The kid has a lot of talent, that’s the sad part of it.

Jersey’s definitely did not have the greatest design with the numbers. He had caught the screen pass before halftime, which is when he came off the field throwing his helmet. It’s one thing to loose your head, it’s an emotional game. But to walk off the sideline, leave your teammates and coaches, then return to the stands shouting explicits about the coaching staff, definitely no room for that in a program. He was heard by everyone in that section of stands. There’s no room for that at any point, but especially on that night, was uncalled for. The kid has a lot of talent, that’s the sad part of it.
I use to give the coaches hell of the varsity programs, I actually feel bad for them both. With kids like that, it’s hard to control, best teams the town has had are 2010-2013 teams, I really believe that the youth program split has these kids with a different mind set, almost like they have been told they are a “star” and don’t let anyone, including coaches tell ya different.

Before the split of the youth program in town, it was 4 teams playing against each other, best of the best in town, and as they got older, they had that camaraderie and went all in together on the high school team. When they split, (reason being Johnny wasn’t being treated as a star so parents started another league) it went downhill from there. I knew once it got up to the varsity level it wasn’t gonna be a good outcome. And it hasn’t been.

Just my opinion, and everyone has one

Reactions: bulldog1150
i played little league football in warren county in the late 90s for the moose raiders and played against the jets mustangs and lions if people remember those teams four teams tryouts best of best in town then when i got out of little league and started playing school ball we all came together as one team and had success in the mid 2000s 2002-2005 in high school so i can definitely tell the difference in the play from then to now and it is very unfortunate. but hopefully things can change and get back to the way it was when i played

But here’s the thing with that, the town has never had a successful HS program!! I’ve heard that from multiple people, “well playing each other every week, was better for the kids”! In reality most of the ones coaching back then would have kids slack off during the tryouts, or have parents not let kids play if not on a certain team. Playing teams from other areas in youth only helps when you get to HS. The problem is at the HS level, to much of who’s parent talks to coach more, or who is a senior this year, or if a coach is hard on a player let’s get him fired. At least my observation from being here for last 11 yrs. along with plenty of others that grew up here and played thru it. By the way, a successful program is completely different than having a winning season every couple of years.

But here’s the thing with that, the town has never had a successful HS program!! I’ve heard that from multiple people, “well playing each other every week, was better for the kids”! In reality most of the ones coaching back then would have kids slack off during the tryouts, or have parents not let kids play if not on a certain team. Playing teams from other areas in youth only helps when you get to HS. The problem is at the HS level, to much of who’s parent talks to coach more, or who is a senior this year, or if a coach is hard on a player let’s get him fired. At least my observation from being here for last 11 yrs. along with plenty of others that grew up here and played thru it. By the way, a successful program is completely different than having a winning season every couple of years.
Depending on what you call a successful high school team, nope, never won states here, you are correct. But Tallent had the WC Wildcats in the regional final or semifinal against Handley I believe back in 2010.
Then Skyline was the 1 seed in the region back in 2013, but could never score more then 14 against Kettle Run for some reason, believe they won 2 playoff games that year? Possibly?

Anyway, as far as the youth teams, when the other league was formed they did travel yes, but they were playing the small town teams. They had success starting out and beat up on those teams pretty good, why? Because the coaches from the original league had already taught those kids the basics and were coming into there own. But once that 1st cycle of kids went through the new league, it was all downhill from there. Coaches couldn’t coach, or wouldn’t coach because “Johnny” was gonna do this or that and was gonna be a superstar at that position.

At least when it was just the 4 team league, these kids had discipline at the game coming up. We have had some outstanding players come up through the high school programs, but maybe only a handful of great teams. I don’t see it changing for a long, long time

2010 WC faced Handley, who’s starting QB was a Skyline transfer, why? He didn’t fit into Skylines system as a junior. 2013 Skyline, I believe that was a 1st round 35-7 lose to Kettle Run. A season or 2 for both schools, yeah they’ve had good teams.
The issue that people, who did not grow up in the town, see and hear is….back in Little League…. Don’t get me wrong, youth level is definitely a building block, but when it doesn’t translate to the HS level, where’s the issue??

Theres currently and definitely have been plenty of good athletes in this town, it’s never transitioned into a school building a program. Take Skyline this year for example, Handley is the only game played where they have been out matched, in terms of athletes. The 3 2A schools they’ve faced, Skyline has had the better athletes on the field, but came away with 2 blowout loses and a 6 point defeat. The Meridian game, same thing. Which leads most to say, if talent is equal or close, it comes down to coaching. At the end of the season, you are your record. Skyline since opening as a school has a loosing record!!! The same coach has been there the entire time. That’s all I’ll say on that.
It’s easy to see when your from the outside looking in.

Meridian kicked the crap out of Sherando in their scrimmage, and has a ton of seniors in their 3rd year of starting. Central has almost as many seniors as Skyline has players. Last year, Skyline had all the seniors, mostly on their lines, but also Budder. And they were district champions. Calm down with the hot takes. Skyline has shown great improvement on the O and D line since the first game, and those players didn't coach themselves up.

There’s the issue! It was a scrimmage!!! Meant absolutely nothing. Sherando started out slow, with a new coach, but have turned it around of late. Senior leadership is a plus, very true. Here’s what I’m saying, when your HC says, if we played Riverheads again, this was before Covid and thinking would play them in 20”, that would be a shoot out, ummmm, no sir, you were down 49-7 at halftime. You were only in the game for 5 min. The same with Goochland in 19”, it was 56-0 before your first string scored against their JV team, you managed to put up 21 points against. The O line and D line are playing better I would agree to an extend. But from watching appears as though the Oline is still unsure who to block and the plays take to long to develop. Put your kids in the position to be successful, they will follow and trust you. This team has no identity at all, for some reason they “want” to be balanced, instead of trying to do one thing and do it right. I understand standing up for your colleagues, but it isn’t always on the kids!! I’m not disrespecting anyone, just clearly stating what everyone else knows. Year in and out, I’m saying, you have a loosing record!! The players change, the coach hasn’t, it’s shows! Gilbert does the off the field things right! He actually runs a good program, does the small things needed by a HS coach. On the field is a different story.

Sherando has played God-awful teams after starting against great teams. Sherando will get better, but we have not seen that evidence yet

First, that's twice you have misspelled losing. Second, you don't win a district championship with a losing record. Third, I did not blame the kids.

And I agree about the Goochland game. I left at halftime. The Riverheads game was not as bad, but clearly Riverheads was better. Skyline was the first team to force Riverheads to punt that season, so at least there is that.

You got me on the grammar part. The scores, I’m just trying to think off the top of head, haven’t tried to look and see, end result was the same. As for everything else in this thread, I’ll agree to disagree, but understand your opinion. But until someone acknowledges that you have an overall “losing” record as a coach, with more than enough talent on some of those teams to at least win a Region Title, the issue will be there. It’s not a complicated game, although it’s over thought most nights by the Hawks, the opposition has kept it simple and the results show it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT