ADVERTISEMENT

Skyline 73 James Monroe 63 Final Advances to 3B final against Independence

schoolboard

VaPreps All District
Oct 21, 2006
The Hawks slowly creeped out to a lead before separating late and defeating the James Monroe Yellow Jackets by a final of 73-63.

It was just a 1 point lead for the Hawks at the end of the first quarter as Budder Haley and Ricky Goode-Wright traded baskets for most of the scoring in the quarter. In fact, Goode-Wright had 16 of the Jackets' 29 points in the first half, and the Hawks took a 36-29 lead into the intermission.

Both teams stepped up the defense in the 3rd quarter, forcing new stars to emerge. Ethan Caperton and Zack Diggs each had 10 2nd half points for the Hawks, and Aaron Carter had 17 of his 21 points after the break.

But the Hawks got separation in the 4th quarter as Marlon Jackson and Donte Porter got some key baskets that stretched the lead to 15 late before the subs for each team finished the game.

Diggs finished with 18 points, and Budder Haley had 14 points and 13 rebounds. Jackson finished with 11 rebounds and Caperton tallied 15 points and Elias Carter ended up with 13 points.

The Hawks will host Independence for the Region 3B championship and state tournament berth on Friday.(weather permitting)

Reactions: Rev_Real
If that game gets called for weather, Skyline advances correct?

Each region just has to provide a champion by the state semi's Tuesday. I'm not sure how 3B ADs/Principals have set it up but it would be a shame if Independence didn't get the chance to play that game.

I've watched every team in 3A via NFHS and Skyline certainly has a state title level group, very impressive win over JM last night. 40, 5 and 2 are tremendous players and 15, 3, 32, 24 give them a legit 8 deep. I was most impressed with their chemistry, trust in making extra pass and FT shooting. All of those guys can shoot free throws. Goode-Wright of JM is one of the best guards in the state IMO and he showed it but JM didn't have enough help and Skyline wore them down. Independence is very solid, high IQ group that should also give Skyline all they want. The folks in Front Royal should be excited though because that group certainly could be cutting down the nets if they keep it up. High IQs and well coached team. Wish they would have played Handley this year, would have been a great matchup.

I believe the call to Handley was made, but it might have been a timing issue with them and the Fauquier schools, especially with the stop and start. There are a lot of people around here crying about Skyline's best player not playing this year, but maybe his absence allowed some of the other players to develop. I personally think the weather is not going to be bad enough to keep them from playing Friday. I agree about Goode-Wright. He was fast and nobody could really stay with him. One of the Skyline players was playing exceptionally poor help defense in the first half, and G-W took advantage of that. There was better help and denying the ball to him in the 2nd half, but then Aaron Carter drained some threes and made them pay.

The game was extremely entertaining to watch. And the JM players seemed really nice.

Each region just has to provide a champion by the state semi's Tuesday. I'm not sure how 3B ADs/Principals have set it up but it would be a shame if Independence didn't get the chance to play that game.

I've watched every team in 3A via NFHS and Skyline certainly has a state title level group, very impressive win over JM last night. 40, 5 and 2 are tremendous players and 15, 3, 32, 24 give them a legit 8 deep. I was most impressed with their chemistry, trust in making extra pass and FT shooting. All of those guys can shoot free throws. Goode-Wright of JM is one of the best guards in the state IMO and he showed it but JM didn't have enough help and Skyline wore them down. Independence is very solid, high IQ group that should also give Skyline all they want. The folks in Front Royal should be excited though because that group certainly could be cutting down the nets if they keep it up. High IQs and well coached team. Wish they would have played Handley this year, would have been a great matchup.

how do you think Abingdon (3D winner) stack up? Do they have any shot at making a run?

how do you think Abingdon (3D winner) stack up? Do they have any shot at making a run?

Looks like they've proven that they belong without question. That half court trap on defense is unique the way they run it. The key for Abingdon is not to start out behind as they did the last two games and the play of their big man. His ability to alter shots in the paint on defense will be necessary if they want to beat Hopewell. They've got to play through him on offense, utilize his height advantage. Hopewell doesn't have anyone close to 6'11 but they implore a physical in your face style of defense as well, should be fun to watch.
You guys have have seen two great players back to back with Journiette(Northside) and Leftwich(LCA). Elvin Edmonds is better than both of them IMO. He's the best player in Class 3. Can do it all. Abingdon playing at home should help though. The distance to the wall behind the goals at Hopewell is much further away than Abingdon, so keep an eye on Hopewell shooting early as depth perception may take time to adjust to. Good Luck to both teams, may the best team win.

Reactions: BigWinners
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT