ADVERTISEMENT

Sleepers “who”

Give me a team nobody is talking about that will make waves into the postseason.
Mine
LCA in d3
Pulaski d4

James Monroe in D3 from everything I saw this summer.
Spotsylvania or Chancellor in D4. Both have dynamic backs and were young last year.

Louisa in 4A East & Salem in 4A West.

Louisa returns ODU commit Noah Robinson who you can make an argument that he’s the best ATH in Virginia.. They have Alex Washington who is prob the best linebacker I saw last year not named Smith or Poole..Washington has an offer from Howard and other D1 programs are interested.. Jarrett Hunter who is the reigning JD Player of the Year and has about 4 to 5 offers plus they return other talent in a Buck Hunter (WR/CB), Adrian Night Train Willams (DL), and Aaron Aponte (OLB). Losing a phenomenal talent like Brandon Smith will hurt but Louisa is deep and talented. They will start a freshman QB who has turned the ball over a lot this spring, but if he cleans that up then my money is the Lions are playing the first Saturday in December.

Salem a sleeper?? I know Mike pointed out that Salem would have one of their smaller lines but that won’t matter.. Those “Mules” are strong every year and they model what I think the GW’s and Glass’s are trying to emulate, specifically in the weight room. They will be set in the skill positions as well, I think it’ll end up being their best collection of skill guys when it’s all said and done. Chase Farris, Carder Miller. Zai Wood, Isaiah Persinger, and the McDonald brothers, who are young but are going to be good!

3A Magna Vista & Carroll County

Carroll County??? Yes the Cavs have two very very talent players in the Gosnell brothers plus a hell of a coach in Coach James. The Gosnell’s are transfers from NC and the elder Gosnell brother (Stephen) was one of the main reasons their former team (East Surry) made it to the state championship this past year. Stephen is headed to NC State. Carroll probably won’t beat the LB’s and Heritage’s but they’ll be much better this year.

Magna Vista will be very solid and couldchallenge both LB and Northside for the Region championship. QB Dryus Hairston is very good and when you throw in Liberty commit Louis Taylor, GW Danville/Potomac Falls 5A all Region lineman Max Roupe and 4 year letterman Dedric Hayden.. Plus some other kids who has worked hard this offseason, I think MV is legit. They’ll have LB for the benefit game so we’ll see how they stack up against the best team in 3A (IMO).

Louisa returns ODU commit Noah Robinson who you can make an argument that he’s the best ATH in Virginia.. They have Alex Washington who is prob the best linebacker I saw last year not named Smith or Poole..Washington has an offer from Howard and other D1 programs are interested.. Jarrett Hunter who is the reigning JD Player of the Year and has about 4 to 5 offers plus they return other talent in a Buck Hunter (WR/CB), Adrian Night Train Willams (DL), and Aaron Aponte (OLB). Losing a phenomenal talent like Brandon Smith will hurt but Louisa is deep and talented. They will start a freshman QB who has turned the ball over a lot this spring, but if he cleans that up then my money is the Lions are playing the first Saturday in December.

Salem a sleeper?? I know Mike pointed out that Salem would have one of their smaller lines but that won’t matter.. Those “Mules” are strong every year and they model what I think the GW’s and Glass’s are trying to emulate, specifically in the weight room. They will be set in the skill positions as well, I think it’ll end up being their best collection of skill guys when it’s all said and done. Chase Farris, Carder Miller. Zai Wood, Isaiah Persinger, and the McDonald brothers, who are young but are going to be good!

Carroll County??? Yes the Cavs have two very very talent players in the Gosnell brothers plus a hell of a coach in Coach James. The Gosnell’s are transfers from NC and the elder Gosnell brother (Stephen) was one of the main reasons their former team (East Surry) made it to the state championship this past year. Stephen is headed to NC State. Carroll probably won’t beat the LB’s and Heritage’s but they’ll be much better this year.

Magna Vista will be very solid and couldchallenge both LB and Northside for the Region championship. QB Dryus Hairston is very good and when you throw in Liberty commit Louis Taylor, GW Danville/Potomac Falls 5A all Region lineman Max Roupe and 4 year letterman Dedric Hayden.. Plus some other kids who has worked hard this offseason, I think MV is legit. They’ll have LB for the benefit game so we’ll see how they stack up against the best team in 3A (IMO).
I do think Salem is a little bit under the radar this year which is kind of strange to say. That defensive backfield is extremely talented... I could legitimately see all four guys (McDonald brothers, Shawn Collins and Chauncey Logan) playing at the FBS or FCS level and none of them will even be seniors this year. They have all improved a tremendous amount since last year and they look completely different from a technical standpoint. They have also return all three linebackers (Wood, Pinello and Sutphin) and two of their DL (Kyjuan Waller has the chance to be special) and they have a couple of new players that are going to step in on the DL that I think are very talented. Rising sophomore Stacy Williams is a name to look out for and it will be interesting to see how they use Chase Ferris and Cam Leftwich on the defensive side of the ball. This might be the most individually talented defense that Salem has ever had. If they work hard, stay healthy and keep improving they have a chance to prove that they are elite.

The offense should be behind the defense this year considering what they lost up front, especially early in the season. I mentioned before that I feel pretty good about the interior line coming up from JV but they are going to have to find some players at both tackles and TE. Chase Ferris has improved a ton since last year and will be the go-to receiver but they also have Collins and the McDonald brothers to give them four receivers 6'2 or taller. Throw in Logan and Wood (Who I think will see time at RB and WR) and you have a really talented group. We know the type of production they have coming back at RB (Persinger, Wood) but it will be interesting to see what direction they go for FB as they have a few different options. Hunter Chaney got some valuable time playing varsity QB as a sophomore last year and I think that will help him a lot going into this year. He is another guy that I think has a chance to take a very big leap this year.

I am generally far less optimistic than most Salem fans about the type of team they have coming into the season but it is hard not to get excited about this group. It is good to see the players starting to get more major college attention and I think Holter is a very good choice to still keep things structured and team focused.

Culpeper and Spotsylvania are gone to 4B and 4C and TJ has gone down to 2B. It will be JM’s region.

As a Goochland fan, I like not being considered as a front runner! The move to 3A will be a new challenge that should be interesting. We have a lot of athletes returning from last year's state finals team in 2A. Opening with Lafayette is a huge challenge that will make Goochland a better team as the season moves forward. Should be a great year of football state wide!

I do think Salem is a little bit under the radar this year which is kind of strange to say. That defensive backfield is extremely talented... I could legitimately see all four guys (McDonald brothers, Shawn Collins and Chauncey Logan) playing at the FBS or FCS level and none of them will even be seniors this year. They have all improved a tremendous amount since last year and they look completely different from a technical standpoint. They have also return all three linebackers (Wood, Pinello and Sutphin) and two of their DL (Kyjuan Waller has the chance to be special) and they have a couple of new players that are going to step in on the DL that I think are very talented. Rising sophomore Stacy Williams is a name to look out for and it will be interesting to see how they use Chase Ferris and Cam Leftwich on the defensive side of the ball. This might be the most individually talented defense that Salem has ever had. If they work hard, stay healthy and keep improving they have a chance to prove that they are elite.

The offense should be behind the defense this year considering what they lost up front, especially early in the season. I mentioned before that I feel pretty good about the interior line coming up from JV but they are going to have to find some players at both tackles and TE. Chase Ferris has improved a ton since last year and will be the go-to receiver but they also have Collins and the McDonald brothers to give them four receivers 6'2 or taller. Throw in Logan and Wood (Who I think will see time at RB and WR) and you have a really talented group. We know the type of production they have coming back at RB (Persinger, Wood) but it will be interesting to see what direction they go for FB as they have a few different options. Hunter Chaney got some valuable time playing varsity QB as a sophomore last year and I think that will help him a lot going into this year. He is another guy that I think has a chance to take a very big leap this year.

I am generally far less optimistic than most Salem fans about the type of team they have coming into the season but it is hard not to get excited about this group. It is good to see the players starting to get more major college attention and I think Holter is a very good choice to still keep things structured and team focused.

I would like to see Leftwich play FB on occasion & the other DE. He's got speed and he's gotten bigger in the off-season. He'll only be a Soph this year, so he's got time.

Reactions: RKE Fan

I guess Salem's OL size will depend on who they choose to fill the spots. There are some options, but the one thing I know is they'll be young or at least inexperienced on the Varsity OL. Last year the line was all Sr's. Fairchilds is the only returning OL with any real Vars exp. Haley got a little bit of experience in the 2nd half of some games.

I would like to see Leftwich play FB on occasion & the other DE. He's got speed and he's gotten bigger in the off-season. He'll only be a Soph this year, so he's got time.
Also, I see Persinger could be playing some at DE.

Nothing wrong with being under the radar @Shabutie. We all know what Salem is capable of and they’ve done a lot with a lot less before. I like Salem in 8 games this year and with the schedule they play, if they win 8 or more, one would be a fool not to think that at least a regional championship appearance is coming this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT