ADVERTISEMENT

sliding into home

Jan 27, 2009
If you do not slide into home plate on a close play, will you automatically be called out? Saw an ump make that call on a team on the last out of the game. That run would have tied the game. Instead, it was the third out and game over.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Was this a Dixie youth game? In high school softball you are never required to slide and if you do slide it has to be a legal slide.

Yes, it was a dixie youth game. The girl would have been safe anyway. Not sliding did not cause the girl to be safe. While I know it is only a dixie youth game, do you make that call in a one run game in the last inning. I tried finding the exact page in the rule book, but I couldn't find it. Bowlingref...if you know what page it is on, I would appreciate to know what page it is on. Thanks.

I do not have a Dixie rule book,only NFHS sofball rule books. My thought on the safe in the last inning versus and earlier inning is what happens if the other team had a girl called out in the previous inning that cost them a run and then the girl on the opposing team was called safe in the next inning for the same play. Coaches and parents going wild.
lurk.gif

First off there is no such thing as a "close play". I have a 2010 rule book, which is last year, but I'm sure this rule has not changed. It says, "Any baserunner is out when she does not slide or attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball and is waiting to make a tag on her." This rule applies to all bases by the way. Most people want to interpret this rule as a "close play". But the rule clearly states that the fielder must have possesion of the ball. It also says she must either slide OR attempt to get around the fielder. So if you have a throw home that the catcher has to back up to catch, the runner doesnt have to slide if she tries to avoid the tag. This is a rule that should rarely be called if called correctly. The page in the 2010 rule book starts on page 53 and says "The baserunner is out", then if you go to page 55, letter (T), is where that rule is.

Yes little man, lol. He asked what page in dixie rule book.

Thanks for the information. The catcher did not have the ball in her possession so the base runner should have not have been called out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT