ADVERTISEMENT

Spotswood basketball

Feb 8, 2014
Here we go..another trip to Richmond. Can my Blazers pull it out today? Hopewell is another very big challenge. Good luck to all.

Re: Hopewell 38, Spotswood 36 at the half

I haven't been able to find any radio coverage, but maybe someone else has.

Hopewell 58, Spotswood 59 after 3

Spotswood was up by double digits, but Hopewell went on another run to end the quarter.

Hopewell 75, Spotswood 85...FINAL

Good game!
This post was edited on 3/10 3:25 PM by Keith_Stone33

Re: Hopewell 75, Spotswood 85...FINAL

This game featured two extremely athletic teams that went at it toe to toe for all four quarters. Every time Spotswood seemed ready to take charge, Hopewell would storm back. For example, Hopewell led 38-36 at the break but the Wood opened the third quarter on an 18-4 tear to take their biggest lead of the game at 54-42. But just as quickly the Devils were right back in it and tied it at 54. They then took the early lead in the fourth before Spotswood regained control and put it away with some impressive foul shooting.

I believe Kier had 31 for the Blazers. I don't know the Hopewell personnel, but 14 and 22 did most of the scoring in the first half, before number 15 (Jimmy Harrison, maybe?) almost single-handedly took over the game for them. I think he scored 16 just in the second half. (If they hadn't stopped printing programs, I could tell you names for sure.)

The biggest surprise of the day was in fan support. Hopewell is what, 20 miles away, but they had a paltry group of fans, whereas the Blazers had 10 times as many, including a rowdy student section, despite traveling 5 times the distance. I didn't stay as long as the GW/Northside game, so I have no insight on Spotswood's chances tomorrow.

What a game it was. I'm pleased with the effort today. Justin Kier led the way with 35 and 7 boards. Blazers just couldn't put them away. Hopewell never gave up. Big in the middle was one heck of an athlete. One thing I would like to add is the officiating could have been much better than it was. Should be a good one tomorrow. Good luck to both and I'll see y'all at the game.

To answer your question, Spotswood has no chance tomorrow...that is if you believe many of the posters on here this season. I can't recall how many times someone posted that the west schools had "nothing" for the east teams. Good luck Blazers.

I guess it's good that Spotswood didn't listen to some people on here (I won't call you out) and turn their stuff in after the Regional Final. They showed up and BEAT the East today. Their test tomorrow will no doubt be much more difficult. But don't look for the Blazers to just roll out the red carpet for George Wythe either. I think it's going to be a tough-fought game between two teams that are seasoned in post-season play. Both teams are well-coached and play very hard. Should be a good one tomorrow evening! Spotswood's bench impressed me today. Huge minutes from 2 or 3 guys off the bench and the Irvine kid was a point shy of a Double-Double from what I heard. Congrats to Spotswood and Wythe on reaching the final game. Good luck to both teams tomorrow.

Congrats to Spotswood! I was one of those who thought the final would be a repeat of the conference tourney but, the Blazers got it done so I will eat that crow. We'll see if the dish will be even larger after the finals.

Cutnjump you made the right prediction based on last years tourney and a lot of people felt that JM and GW would be in the finals. As I said early season if we got our bench to improve we would basically have a chance to compete with the Richmond area teams. And they are playing their roles pretty well. Just have to do it one more time this year. So with that being said imma predict my Blazers by 5..putting GW away from the foul line..lol..its been a fun year..good luck to both teams tonight.

Got to own it if I said it and was wrong. Hope it is a good, well played championship game regardless of victor. Good luck to both teams.

I'll eat a side dish of crow but still believe GW beats Spotswood by 15+. Good luck - I actually hope I'm wrong because I want to see a good game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT