ADVERTISEMENT

SPOTSYLVANIA ATHLETICS MAY FINALLY BE ON UP SWING!

skynard1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 12, 2009
A few weeks ago with the replacing of the old administration hiring new principal DR Armanda Hester and today hiring AD Bill Swink it looks like after 15 years of athletic heart ache things just may be looking up!
DR Hester seems like a nice young lady and has a background not only in quality education but athletics too! Swink was my first pick and Tim Coleman introduced me to him a few years ago is a good organizer should put the boys from post oak first rather than just a job. he is a good judge of talent and now has the job of hiring a new basketball coach!
the morale at spotsy has been down since Coleman left but now with new blood maybe it will turn the attitude of the kids around. coach Johnson said his numbers this year is up about 20 players and that's good news. now with new administration when coaches are hired it will be no more buddy buddy system but coaches getting interviewed for the job will be screened and hired on their ability! this has been a long time coming and after a couple rebuilding years the knights could be respectable once again in football and other sports!
one of the best things that happened was the chain crew of over 30 years was asked to return back after the principal last season replaced them all. DR Hester called Jaspher Brooks a 30 yr veteran and head of the crew and asked him to come back and all the crew Cliff Johnson,Rick Deale,Maynard Rumley and Delma Armstrong will return as they should never have been replaced. these guys I have known all my life and had injustice done by replacing them. they was all old time spotsy athletes and dedicated since they graduated! good to get them back!
today I was asked to come back to the boosters club and come back to the press box at spotsy. I told them I would return to the boosters club that Mr Brooks and I worked for so many years and along with other good members made the club one of the strongest in Virginia! but I told them I would be part time as doing TV and watching my grandson play basketball at louisa will keep me part time but go full time when he graduates next year. as for PA ing I said I was staying at Courtland as AD Ronnie Lowman has been good to me and I enjoy working for him. Ronnie came and visited me very concerned when I was in the hospital and I am thankful to him and intend to stay as the voice of the cougars baseball and other sports if needed.
so things are looking up at spotsy and the new administration is treating people with respect. good luck knights as we have just started to turn things around in post oak!

We'll see what happens at Spotsy but I certainly wish them the best. Looks like things are looking up and like I said previously, the New AD is a remarkable addition. It's practically a miracle. Lose is not a word in his vocabulary. Can't expect things overnight though.

But I have to say, my friend, the best part is you're still around to see it. Very best of health to you. Stay well.

I had no idea that clueless (former) AD got rid of the longstanding chain gang. That's terrible. Those guys have been a fixture at Spotsylvania for several decades. They are really good people.

Just cements my thoughts on the previous administration and what they've done to a once proud school. The only thing the previous AD "directed" was the actual downfall of the athletic program. Glad that "error" is over.

It wasn't the AD that had them replaced it was the principal! he replaced me voice of knights baseball and the voice of knights football too! we all had been there for years and we was replaced by one of his friends! it was the problem with the program! IT was a buddy buddy system out there from the old head football coach on down! he wanted the old coach to stay there and the fans,chain crew, boosters club and us kept after him to replace him and being his friend he didn't like the pressure so he took it out on us! the old coach had a losing record every year he was their winning only 1 or 2 games against teams with no or 1 win a year and should have been replaced years ago but it was his friend! thank goodness the school board saw the light finally and did something about it so lets move forward with a new regime!

The new(er) guy who they have doing PA at football is terrible. He sounds totally unprofessional when he talks about "donuts" during the band boosters' fundraising. He sounds like a typical northern Virginia transplant "come-here" who has zero idea of how great the community once was.

It wasn't the AD that had them replaced it was the principal! he replaced me voice of knights baseball and the voice of knights football too! we all had been there for years and we was replaced by one of his friends! it was the problem with the program! IT was a buddy buddy system out there from the old head football coach on down! he wanted the old coach to stay there and the fans,chain crew, boosters club and us kept after him to replace him and being his friend he didn't like the pressure so he took it out on us! the old coach had a losing record every year he was their winning only 1 or 2 games against teams with no or 1 win a year and should have been replaced years ago but it was his friend! thank goodness the school board saw the light finally and did something about it so lets move forward with a new regime!
I understand all the sentiment. Spotsy was once a powerful program. But when things had gone so downhill for so long and stays there for over a decade, shouldn't change be a more than viable consideration. No disrespect to anyone or the dedicated and longtime Spotsy supporters but a different direction may have been the only choice available. Now, they've done it again. I sincerely hope the choices are better and we get a different result this time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT