ADVERTISEMENT

St. River Coach Resigns

I understand that coaching is a year round grind and that played a big part in him stepping down but the timing still looks bad. He didn't more worn out this year than years past same as if those seniors were coming back he would have pushed it off one more year.

I understand that coaching is a year round grind and that played a big part in him stepping down but the timing still looks bad. He didn't more worn out this year than years past same as if those seniors were coming back he would have pushed it off one more year.
Probably so. I don't know the man personally but know others who do. They have had nothing but great things to say about him. He is greatly respected by the community, his players, coaching staff, students he teaches and school administrators. I have seen many other threads about many other coaches in the area steping down as head coaches and none of them were disrespected and motives questioned. In fact some who have made negitive comments about coach Poston have given only positive posted comments to other area coaches stepping down.

Probably so. I don't know the man personally but know others who do. They have had nothing but great things to say about him. He is greatly respected by the community, his players, coaching staff, students he teaches and school administrators. I have seen many other threads about many other coaches in the area steping down as head coaches and none of them were disrespected and motives questioned. In fact some who have made negitive comments about coach Poston have given only positive posted comments to other area coaches stepping down.

Reactions: Jags101
No one should be questioning this man's motives. He gave his time to coaching and educating young people.

"Poston’s coaching career began in West Virginia and has spanned 24 years, the last 16 of which were spent with the Golden Eagles. He took over head coaching duties in 2010. During the past 8 seasons he’s compiled the most winning seasons, most playoff appearances, most playoff wins and most overall wins in the history of the school."

"The Golden Eagles finished as state runners-up and 13-2 under his direction in 2016, while going 13-1 and finishing as state finalists this past season. In 2016 Poston was named Conference 31 Coach of the Year and Blue Ridge District Coach of the Year in 2017. His overall record as head coach at Staunton River is 57-39." The year prior to him taking over they were winless. In his first season as head coach they were also winless, but he persevered.

In the 9 years prior to him taking over at SR they won 17 games. In the 10 years he was the head coach at SR they won 57 games, made the playoffs 6 times, and in the last 2 years won 13 games each year.

Although he's stepping down as the coach, he will continue to teach English at the school.

He deserves nothing but respect for helping educate both on and off the field, for helping motivate and inspire, and for turning around a program that IIRC had never won a playoff game. (Maybe they had never even made the playoffs before he took over, I can't remember)

Last edited:
No one should be questioning this man's motives. He gave his time to coaching and educating young people.

"Poston’s coaching career began in West Virginia and has spanned 24 years, the last 16 of which were spent with the Golden Eagles. He took over head coaching duties in 2010. During the past 8 seasons he’s compiled the most winning seasons, most playoff appearances, most playoff wins and most overall wins in the history of the school."

"The Golden Eagles finished as state runners-up and 13-2 under his direction in 2016, while going 13-1 and finishing as state finalists this past season. In 2016 Poston was named Conference 31 Coach of the Year and Blue Ridge District Coach of the Year in 2017. His overall record as head coach at Staunton River is 57-39."

In the 9 years prior to him taking over at SR they won 17 games. In the 10 years he was the head coach at SR they won 57 games, made the playoffs 6 times, and in the last 2 years won 13 games each year.

Although he's stepping down as the coach, he will continue to teach English at the school.

He deserves nothing but respect for helping educate both on and off the field, for helping motivate and inspire, and for turning around a program that IIRC had never won a playoff game. (Maybe they had never even made the playoffs before he took over, I can't remember)
Thank you mike salem for the voice of reasoning. To answer you of Staunton River's past playoff experience pre Poston era. Here is the short of it and I do mean short. SR went 10-2 in 1996. There lone regular season lost was to JF. I can't remember who there playoff win was to but eventually lost in the second round to eventual state champions Salem.

I can't believe that he is being second guessed for resigning. Are you saying he should stick around until they have below average talent before wanting to spend more time with his family. If he did that you would probably call him a quitter for leaving them when everything wasn't rosy. Keep in mind that he isn't leaving for another coaching job where there is a stockpile of talent. He is staying at SR to teach. Thank him for what he has done there instead of disparaging him for stepping down. Best of luck coach. I hope you enjoy not having people questioning every decision you make on and off the field.

Reactions: 97Srhs24095
I can't believe that he is being second guessed for resigning. Are you saying he should stick around until they have below average talent before wanting to spend more time with his family. If he did that you would probably call him a quitter for leaving them when everything wasn't rosy. Keep in mind that he isn't leaving for another coaching job where there is a stockpile of talent. He is staying at SR to teach. Thank him for what he has done there instead of disparaging him for stepping down. Best of luck coach. I hope you enjoy not having people questioning every decision you make on and off the field.
Well said bulldog1150. Trust me no one in the SR community is questioning his decision at all. From what i can see they are all are outsiders. Like Hampton Roads6, he's definitely an out of towner.

No one is questioning his motive he has the right to step down at any time he feels is right for him just saying the timing doesn't look good and I am sure some of the kids on the team do not feel great about it even though they may not say other wise.

Reactions: MaroonandGold29

Don't know the man, but this makes no sense. I'm guessing you were trying to say he didn't get more worn out this year than in years past? Maybe not one season compared to another, but what about the cumulative effect? How about the extra year of missing time with his family?

How would you like it to miss all that time from your family? I wouldn't like that part of it. Then some would say well that is what he chose to do, YES, and now he chose to spend more time with them.

It's really sad when someone makes a choice for themselves, and people who aren't even remotely related to the situation question their motives.

I guess when he took over what sounds like a winless program years ago that he knew that the 8 year olds were going to be his golden ticket, and when they graduated he had spent that ticket

Reactions: HokieTDTech
Believe me that I have a lot more insight into the situation than you think so we will just agree to disagree on this one

Don’t care what anybody said she left because they don’t have anything left and he didn’t want to look like a bad coach because there going to go back to to 5-5 days .Them kids he has made him look really good better then he really was .

Don’t care what anybody said she left because they don’t have anything left and he didn’t want to look like a bad coach because there going to go back to to 5-5 days .Them kids he has made him look really good better then he really was .
lol Yet another post on this subject. The hate for this coach and program really runs deep. You definitely have an axe to grind. You are all within your right to hate but just don't understand why to this extreme. Did the single wing abuse you in some way. Not mad at you just trying to understand.:D

From what I have heard through the community his wife is really sick. Not sure of the extent but then again it's none of my business. So don't you feel like an idiot now?

Bold statement....... Just wondering, would you give a parent a hard time if they transferred their kid to a new school because they knew the program their kid was about to enter was going to take a major step back?

I have no dog in this fight, but having interacted with Coach Poston multiple times gave me the opinion he loved coaching FB and SR. He’s entitled to making whatever decision is best for him and his family, I don’t care what the reason.

Like the kid that came from liberty to SR this year Brock ?!

I've got no problem with people making moves, you do. That's why you came on here and tried to run your mouth about Coach calling it quits. Its just funny when your own personal moves contradict what you are saying. You are too dumb to even argue with, have a good one.

I don’t give a crap was he does he’s proceed in the surrounding area when the talent gone he quits . I don’t care what SR does They bounced out the seminole when they could never win anything . Keep hiding behind that screen name Idiot

I don’t give a crap was he does he’s proceed in the surrounding area when the talent gone he quits . I don’t care what SR does They bounced out the seminole when they could never win anything . Keep hiding behind that screen name Idiot
He helped take a team from 0-10 to (2) 13 win seasons in a row. He decided to retire from coaching after 20+ years and is staying on as an English teacher.

Coaches don't get paid much considering all of the hours they put in. I'm sure he wanted to spend more time with his family. It's not right for anybody to judge his motives for leaving. He didn't coach for just a couple of years and decide to leave when certain players graduated, he's been there for a very long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunz41 and cb2018
You are from Altavista, they aren't a member of the Seminole. Stop beating your chest, you are a nobody.
I remember growing up in Rustburg and they used to beat Altavista 60-0 pretty much every year. Altavista has had some very good years (09, 13, 14), but like most they've also had some very down years.
(They won a total of 3 games in 5 years from 99-03)

Last edited:
Some years they had the players and team to overcome that disadvantage, and other years they didn't. My point wasn't to disparage Altavista, (my brother and his family lives there) I was just pointing out that all teams have down years. Staunton River was down several years ago and they have been good the last few years. I don't think that a coach who has been there for the 0-10 years should be judged for leaving when he's taken them to such unparalleled highs. He has his reasons for leaving after 20+ years and it's not really our place to question his motives imo. I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just think that he has many other potential reasons for leaving besides losing his best players. (I think spending time with his family is probably at the top of the list)

Don't know the man, but this makes no sense. I'm guessing you were trying to say he didn't get more worn out this year than in years past? Maybe not one season compared to another, but what about the cumulative effect? How about the extra year of missing time with his family?

How would you like it to miss all that time from your family? I wouldn't like that part of it. Then some would say well that is what he chose to do, YES, and now he chose to spend more time with them.

It's really sad when someone makes a choice for themselves, and people who aren't even remotely related to the situation question their motives.

I guess when he took over what sounds like a winless program years ago that he knew that the 8 year olds were going to be his golden ticket, and when they graduated he had spent that ticket

No need to be so angry. As an unbiased and neutral observer of this thread, I sense your anger. When we get into this business, we understand the side effects of it. Oldport74 is simply giving his opinion on that matter just like anyone else in the thread.

No need to be so angry. As an unbiased and neutral observer of this thread, I sense your anger. When we get into this business, we understand the side effects of it. Oldport74 is simply giving his opinion on that matter just like anyone else in the thread.

Not angry at all bud. And sure everyone is entitled to an opinion, but to say he's leaving for this or that reason without knowing nothing about it, just looks like wanting to say something negative.

I dont know the man or the situation at all, so I wouldn't presume to know his reasons, but he took over a lousy team and turned them into a contender. So I guess the people saying he is quitting on his team, players, etc and because they are losing a lot, then I guess he must be incredible at judging talent. Since these kids that are graduating were his golden ticket, then he identified them as 8 year olds.

Nobody who hasn't been involved in coaching football have any clue the time/effort/and sacrifice these guys make.

So EVERYONE of them deserves benefit.of doubt, until proven otherwise

What seems more likely?

He wants to spend more time with his family ( which he lost out on A LOT) while still teaching at the school

OR

He thinks his team won't be very good, so he quit, while still teaching at the school.

So yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but thst doesn't mean everyone is entitled to spread unproven gossip/opinions, and not everyone is entitled to know every details about the man's life.

Everyone should try to take everyone by their word and not always try to turn everything negative. We should trust that people are allowed to have opinions (whether we agree with it or not) and not start arguments based on someone's opinion. It won't change, and not one person's opinion means more than another. If someone thinks a team is better than someone they aren't, why does it matter what their opinion is, it's not hurting anyone. But when an opinion can hurt someone by way of reputation, future, etc-thsts no bueno to me.

Either way, differing view points is what makes this board great, yet the differing opinions are also what people call a reason to leave, because of how some are portrayed.

I believe we can have differing opinions and still be civil, the way I believe it should be done.

God Bless

After the first paragraph in that novel, you lost me. I would just ask you to turn it down a bit. There's no need for such anger. I get your enthusiasm for the subject, but others have opinions that may be different from yours, and they should be respected also.

After the first paragraph in that novel, you lost me. I would just ask you to turn it down a bit. There's no need for such anger. I get your enthusiasm for the subject, but others have opinions that may be different from yours, and they should be respected also.

Again, I said everyone is entitled to their opinion, and heck I could be wrong, but if you don't know a situation (and I dont) then you shouldn't speak negatively about someone.

Let's use you as an example. I dont know you or your situation, but I do know that you have repped 2 teams since you have posted (Giles and Poquoson), and since Giles has been "down" (for their standards), I am right to say that you are a front runner since Puquoson went further. Of course not. Because there are A LOT of things that could answer that question.

The point is, I dont think many really know the reason this guy chose to resign. But people are actually demeaning his character and reputation. Saying that the reason couldn't be because of family or other good motives, it could only be because he is losing his best players. Meanwhile he isn't taking a better job, in fact he is still teaching at the school.

So I used LOGIC to deduce my response. If these kids were the reason he was coaching there, then he HAD to have seen them coming at 8 years old, as I believe it was said he took over 10 years ago. And obviously winning wasn't his ONLY priority when taking the job, as someone said he took over an 0-10 team.

To me, the logical answer is that for reasons that he knows, he resigned. It could be because of time, family, health, etc, but it certainly isn't solely because of graduation.

Gunz41, I lost track of your novel after sentence one, but again, I simply recommend you tone down the anger and respect others opinions. Gunz41, what did I tell you a while back? You see, you don't get to make anymore posts without a comment by yours truly. I told you, two can play, and I can play a long, long time. In conclusion, tone it down a bit with the anger.

Gunz41, I lost track of your novel after sentence one, but again, I simply recommend you tone down the anger and respect others opinions. Gunz41, what did I tell you a while back? You see, you don't get to make anymore posts without a comment by yours truly. I told you, two can play, and I can play a long, long time. In conclusion, tone it down a bit with the anger.

Yada. So you are going to troll because you got called out for acting like a little kid and troll. Yea makes sense to be seen as a respectful poster.

You can post anything you want. You are just going to make yourself look even more childish. Everyone now knows your history, but of course you won't admit ever doing anything wrong. So go ahead and follow me, REAL MATURE.

So the question that comes to my mind is which troll are you? Blue Hair or Purple Hair

Gunz, tone down the anger and respect others opinions. The name-calling and constant forcing of your opinion is a Terms of Service Violation.

P.S. That catch by Richlands was something else I tell ya. Good day, Gunz.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT