ADVERTISEMENT

Starting off looks TOUGH!

Thanks Danny, neat stuff there. It disproves my "gut" theory. I guess statistically it about follows logic.

Poor Tucker, nobody wants them. LOL!

What was the system prior to 86?
Prior to '86 it was 3 Classes, A,AA,AAA. I do believe it was in 86bwhen it changed to two divisions in each class
A div 1&2
AA div 3&4
AAA div 5&6

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Does the A, AA, AAA basically reach back to the start of football in our state? That was in the 20's I think?

I see on VHSL Reference that they show state champs under AAA back to 1920. (Incidentally, that was Newport News, and I hear Springer 76 was at that game)!

It starts showing A and AA champs in 1970. I guess everything was just one big class until 1970?

Reactions: springer76
I see on VHSL Reference that they show state champs under AAA back to 1920. (Incidentally, that was Newport News, and I hear Springer 76 was at that game)!

It starts showing A and AA champs in 1970. I guess everything was just one big class until 1970?

I think they just didn't name state champions in the lower divisions prior to the start of the modern playoffs in 1970. Not really sure how the playoffs worked during the brief period when they had them in the 1920's.

The 70-71 school year was the first year of the A, AA, AAA setup in the VHSL. Historically there were Groups I, II, and III, and then in the early 60's the larger Group II schools were split off into a Group I-B.

I've heard in the distant past, that it was by selection, rather that any type of qualifier. Which was probably appropriate for the era.

Thanks Otnorot.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
I've heard in the distant past, that it was by selection, rather that any type of qualifier. Which was probably appropriate for the era.

I don't know the full history, but immediately prior to 1971 the class I-A champion (and the Class AAA champion in 1970, when Class AAA decided not to have a statewide playoff), was just the team with the best record. A few times in the 1960's they arranged championship games if teams were tied (Annandale-Granby in 1965 and Granby-Andrew Lewis in 1966), but in 1967 they named co-champions.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT