ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Rematch... Appomattox at Stuarts Draft

Discuss all things here
I think it wii be a lot like last year, if Draft can shorten the game with long time consuming drives and limit Appos touches I think their defense can keep it close. If Draft cant sustain drives I think it might be a long afternoon for them. I think Draft has the advantage playing them on grass. Dont mow it this week. LOL. Hopefully its a good game and best of luck to both teams.

Reactions: Raiders Radio
If Draft can run the ball successfully on long drives and minimize turnovers, they might can really push Appomattox. Union had some success running the ball but couldn't stop them and had buncha turnovers. Draft will surely be better on defense and not allow like ten 40+ yard TD runs lol. I think Raiders win but if Draft plays perfect they can pull the upset

No offense to Appo as Appo is a class act well oiled machine. Well coached with great young men, great fans, and nothing but class. I said this on the swva board, and it's Appos line play. Sure Appo has speed and that shows defensively, but on offense, Appo is a run team. They ran directly off tackle and gashed Union, Radford, and Glenvar. It's their offensive line that has been so underestimated.

Draft is very solid up front. They are the best 2A team up front imo this season. I'm in the minority here. I think Stuarts Draft will win the state championship. They manhandled Poquoson. I understand Poquoson starts 7 sophomores on both sides, but still, that was a beating. I think Draft will have success running the ball and do just enough, and will beat Appo and win the state title. The thing about Appo is how they refuse to beat themselves. That shows how well coached/disciplined they are.

No offense to Appo as Appo is a class act well oiled machine. Well coached with great young men, great fans, and nothing but class. I said this on the swva board, and it's Appos line play. Sure Appo has speed and that shows defensively, but on offense, Appo is a run team. They ran directly off tackle and gashed Union, Radford, and Glenvar. It's their offensive line that has been so underestimated.

Draft is very solid up front. They are the best 2A team up front imo this season. I'm in the minority here. I think Stuarts Draft will win the state championship. They manhandled Poquoson. I understand Poquoson starts 7 sophomores on both sides, but still, that was a beating. I think Draft will have success running the ball and do just enough, and will beat Appo and win the state title. The thing about Appo is how they refuse to beat themselves. That shows how well coached/disciplined they are.
Draft is the same team as last year just better. Exactly how much better remains to be seen, but they gave Riverheads the only real game they've had this (albeit strange) season. So that has to count for something.

I wish King William didn't have Covid issues, because I would have loved to have seen them play SD. KW has speed, size, and a dominant defense. At least the majority of the team returns in the fall including 9 starters on defense and I believe 7 on offense, including RB Demond Claiborne, who currently has 8 D1 offers.

Calpreps has it 28-21 in favor of Appo. No disrespect to Radford, Glenvar, or Union, but Stuarts Draft this year, is far better up front than those three (and those 3 are darn good up front) but Drafts offensive and defensive lines will be by far imo, the best Appo has seen this year It's going to be a good one to watch. Stuarts Draft 24, Appo 21. Only my opinion.

One thing that I think needs to be pointed out. That's coaching. Guys, Appo and Riverheads and Salem have talent for sure, but the talent is not so unbalanced that it's just some streak of luck that they are winning titles. It's coaching. The coaches at both Appo and the Reds are absolutely on another level and that's the part that is unequal or unbalanced. It's incredible how many times over the years, a team can feel like and look like they played em equal or even might of outplayed them, but turnovers, ig plays, and special teams were the difference. Those variables are all descriptive of the tru imbalance. The imbalance with Appo and Riverheads is the players talent a little bit, but the coaching imbalance is much greater. You don't win 4 or 5 out of 6 or whatever it is, you simply don't go on runs for that long without an absolute gap in coaching. That's the bigger difference imo with these schools than the talent gap.

I wish King William didn't have Covid issues, because I would have loved to have seen them play SD. KW has speed, size, and a dominant defense. At least the majority of the team returns in the fall including 9 starters on defense and I believe 7 on offense, including RB Demond Claiborne, who currently has 8 D1 offers.

No question about it. KW would have absoluy imo, walked through Region A and they would have had a war with Stuarts Draft. Same thing for Buckingham County who didn't even get to compete. They would have been a tough opponent. Make no bones about it though, Draft is more than formidable. Beating this bunch would be a tall task. I think Appo will find that out. Only my take. I didn't know KW was that young. I thought they were a senior laden team. I read where Poquoson started 7 sophomores on both sides of the ball today. Looks like KW, Union, Graham, and Poquoson are all young. Interesting season next year. Appo is to the point now where they reload. You can take how many juniors or seniors they have off the table. It's clearly just not going to matter with them.

Last edited:
Wow ! Appo don’t have a chance better pack it up fairlawn has it all figured out ! Look out raiders
Wo Stabler. I have nothing figured out. Appo is the clear favorite and will be favored by most fans I think. I simply gave one simple and small fans take on the game because the poster who started the thread asked for opinions. I've missed more than I get right. I'm just giving my take. I have nothing but respect for Appos program from the coaching to the young men playing to the fans. Also, if you are actually assuming that any poster is of the belief that "Appo doesn't have a chance," then you are fooling us all. The question is whether Draft has a chance. That's truly and probably the prevailing thought by most fans. I think Draft does have a chance.

No question about it. KW would have absoluy imo, walked through Region A and they would have had a war with Stuarts Draft. Same thing for Buckingham County who didn't even get to compete. They would have been a tough opponent. Make no bones about it though, Draft is more than formidable. Beating this bunch would be a tall task. I think Appo will find that out. Only my take. I didn't know KW was that young. I thought they were a senior laden team. I read where Poquoson started 7 sophomores on both sides of the ball today. Looks like KW, Union, Graham, and Poquoson are all young. Interesting season next year. Appo is to the point now where they reload. You can take how many juniors or seniors they have off the table. It's clearly just not going to matter with them.
No, KW is sophomore and junior dominated. They had around 8 seniors this season, but not all of them were contributors. Something that KW also has in it's favor is former Hermitage legendary coach Patrick Kane in the booth. Not many schools can say they have a state champion coach up there.

Draft is the same team as last year just better. Exactly how much better remains to be seen, but they gave Riverheads the only real game they've had this (albeit strange) season. So that has to count for something.
Well now that isn't true, Tazwell played basically even with Riverheads until deep in the 4th and it ended just a two score game.

Wow ! Appo don’t have a chance better pack it up fairlawn has it all figured out ! Look out raiders
Fairlawn traditionally always has a objective view worth paying alot of attention to. Yes like the rest of us sometimes we inject into a conversation our own emotions but he keeps it cool and intresting with alot to learn from him.

How well does Appo pass? Based on them being in this game I am going to guess pretty decent. Balance will be important because I personally believe in Drafts ability to clog up the running game (for clarity I am not saying stop). Patience will be important for both teams as I don’t see a shoot out. Draft will be facing its toughest opponent so they will need to figure out how to mix it up as well to move it at all on this Raider team. First team to 21 wins this one. I really hope they separate the start times of these games enough so some of us can stand outside the fence for one game then travel to the other and stand outside the fence for that one. As a Draft alum, I want this for them but they are clearly facing a dynastic Appomattox team. Good luck to both and safe travels

How well does Appo pass? Based on them being in this game I am going to guess pretty decent. Balance will be important because I personally believe in Drafts ability to clog up the running game (for clarity I am not saying stop). Patience will be important for both teams as I don’t see a shoot out. Draft will be facing its toughest opponent so they will need to figure out how to mix it up as well to move it at all on this Raider team. First team to 21 wins this one. I really hope they separate the start times of these games enough so some of us can stand outside the fence for one game then travel to the other and stand outside the fence for that one. As a Draft alum, I want this for them but they are clearly facing a dynastic Appomattox team. Good luck to both and safe travels
Our passing game is decent and i fully expect to see it improve this fall. Like any team there is always room for improvement. Tre can drop back for a pass and then kill you with his legs, very dangerous at times.

Redpridenation:

Your fence idea sounds appealing. Since the two games have always been separated (time-wise) anyway, I would not see the harm in scheduling one at noon or 12:30 and the other at 3 or 4, so fans could have that opportunity.

Redpridenation:

Your fence idea sounds appealing. Since the two games have always been separated (time-wise) anyway, I would not see the harm in scheduling one at noon or 12:30 and the other at 3 or 4, so fans could have that opportunity.

Not that it matters to me one way or another, but it sounded like the West Point fanbase was under the impression that nobody could stand at the fence yesterday, while they could have before. So it's possible that was a VHSL thing???

I certainly think if it did happen, it would be a logistical and parking nightmare, and may even upset fans for both the participating teams.

Could have been. Altavista posted no watching the game from the street or whatever when we played them at Altavista.

I'm sure some schools did that, but this seemed different. It was stated that all games before that fans were allowed at fence, but that someone from the school had said that for yesterday's game that they weren't allowed.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another, just saying that is what I saw, and that it's also not as easy as saying that the host could do it. There would be other factors to consider if they did stagger the start time

Considering that the governor is now relaxing on restrictions, not to mention that most health experts have greatly minimized the dangers of outdoor transmission, I think it would be very odd for any school to try and keep fans from watching a game from outside the stadium. Not only would that be very disappointing, considering the limited number of tickets, but it would run the risk of alienating fans, who might decide to give up on that particular school and not come back ever again. These are kids being given a once in a lifetime opportunity and any healthy person who wants to attend should be allowed to do so. Hopefully anyone who knows they should not be there would have enough sense to stay away. Good time to again thank our lucky stars for all the streaming options. Those have been a huge blessing this school year.

Wanna know how inept our governor is? Right across the state line, NC has 50% capacity and they had 40% to start the year. Schools use GoFan and other online ticketing, but most schools sell at the gate. There has been no proof of any transmission of the virus in VA or NC at football games this year, fans or players. Governor Cooper will be allowing his kids of North Carolina the opportunity to play their state championship games at NC State and UNC.... 50% capacity of both of these stadiums will be allowed.. These stadiums both hold 50k+ people. 25k fans can go watch the state championship games in North Carolina in two weeks and Black Face is still stuck on 500 here until May 15th. It’s appalling that some people don’t call it like it is because they’re so loyal to their political party.. OH and my favorite “this is a high school sports forum, take that to a political forum”...That guy in Richmond should definitely be called out on his ineptness. Also great point @longtimerhsfan. I’ve been fully vaccinated and I don’t have a problem carrying my card around. Don’t understand why we’re still limited if we’re healthy and gotten our shots. I just don’t get it.

I'll clarify my comments just so everyone knows I am not against anyone watching both games IF they were scheduled as such.

And I absolutely think that the current 500 is asinine too.

I guess my point being that if they were separated like at Salem, many opposing fans would come to the fence to watch. That part by itself would be great. I guess I was looking more so at the other parts of it. The parking lots at both schools aren't that big to accommodate 3 large sets of fans. Because while the discussion is about the the other county school watching, it also would include both participants fans who couldn't get a ticket. And those folks aren't just dropped out of the sky. And realistically, they would park as close as they could to be able to leave to get to their teams game. Which leaves the participants having to park way away.

I think the idea behind it is great (and btw my points go for either team playing at either staggered time). And it's a shame that all 4 teams can't have packed stadiums because they deserve it. And I even think it would be great if all of this could be worked out as to the above points, just saying it's not as black and white as saying stagger times and allow people at fence.

Redpridenation:

All VHSL State Football Championship Games this Saturday are scheduled to start at 2 p.m. except Class 4 Salem at Lake Taylor kicks off at 3 p.m.

Wanna know how inept our governor is? Right across the state line, NC has 50% capacity and they had 40% to start the year. Schools use GoFan and other online ticketing, but most schools sell at the gate. There has been no proof of any transmission of the virus in VA or NC at football games this year, fans or players. Governor Cooper will be allowing his kids of North Carolina the opportunity to play their state championship games at NC State and UNC.... 50% capacity of both of these stadiums will be allowed.. These stadiums both hold 50k+ people. 25k fans can go watch the state championship games in North Carolina in two weeks and Black Face is still stuck on 500 here until May 15th. It’s appalling that some people don’t call it like it is because they’re so loyal to their political party.. OH and my favorite “this is a high school sports forum, take that to a political forum”...That guy in Richmond should definitely be called out on his ineptness. Also great point @longtimerhsfan. I’ve been fully vaccinated and I don’t have a problem carrying my card around. Don’t understand why we’re still limited if we’re healthy and gotten our shots. I just don’t get it.
Majority knows we got a piece of work in Richmond. He's just a puppet following the lead of the PLANdemic. Sure would have been nice to have changed the attendance guidelines on May 1st instead of May 15th. Like really... 😒

Last edited:
Sure would have been nice to have changed the attendance guidelines on May 1st. 😒
FOR REAL!!! Why the word could he not change it for the 1st!!
Sure would be nice to not be telling family members they can't come watch their grandsons and nephews play in the state championship games. Good forbit we have more people OUTSIDE!!!!

I think it wii be a lot like last year, if Draft can shorten the game with long time consuming drives and limit Appos touches I think their defense can keep it close. If Draft cant sustain drives I think it might be a long afternoon for them. I think Draft has the advantage playing them on grass. Dont mow it this week. LOL. Hopefully its a good game and best of luck to both teams.
You mean SD has the advantage playing on Dirt ? Well from the NFHS camera system it definitely looks like the majority of the field is dirt. Not much grass going on. Haven't actually been there so not sure how it looks in person, hopefully I get that opportunity this Saturday.

• Wow
I was thinking it may have been Bermuda type grass, well good, thats a plus for the Raiders cause we have the same situation. Reason I couldn't tell cause the bad camera feed and it's patchy, have green in spots here and there everywhere.

Well I was told from a very reliable source that Appo has no more tickets available, also that VHSL suppose to control outside fence viewing, as in not allowing it. I reckon they have there police people with whistles. (sarcasm)

I don't understand why the NFHS stream is pretty decent at some fields and sucks at others it's all suppose to be the same equipment, maybe some folks went cheaper and didn't get the GOOD HDMI cable (more sarcasm) I looked at the SD camera at Stuarts Draft and their stream bites then I looked at when they played Poquoson last week and that stream is much better.

Anyways after watching SD play I do believe our Raiders pull out the win. Not putting up any scores I just believe we win. We played them last year and I believe Coach Costello has his game plan ready to spy key signals to have his kids be disciplined and hopefully know what's coming. SD does try the tricky, also they usually always do shot gun and pitches to their backs, I seen that bite them in the butt cause the other team recovered. So with that said I think a few simple mistakes could cost either team. I think Appo can recover better if our mistake happena. I also seen that SD is big up front but the Raiders back hit the whole so fast up the gut they will be at the second level before they can stand up then it's a few jukes and after burners cutting on.....

#SmithStrong #Focus #PO1Forever
#FearTheVeer

Well I was told from a very reliable source that Appo has no more tickets available, also that VHSL suppose to control outside fence viewing, as in not allowing it. I reckon they have there police people with whistles. (sarcasm)

I don't understand why the NFHS stream is pretty decent at some fields and sucks at others it's all suppose to be the same equipment, maybe some folks went cheaper and didn't get the GOOD HDMI cable (more sarcasm) I looked at the SD camera at Stuarts Draft and their stream bites then I looked at when they played Poquoson last week and that stream is much better.

Anyways after watching SD play I do believe our Raiders pull out the win. Not putting up any scores I just believe we win. We played them last year and I believe Coach Costello has his game plan ready to spy key signals to have his kids be disciplined and hopefully know what's coming. SD does try the tricky, also they usually always do shot gun and pitches to their backs, I seen that bite them in the butt cause the other team recovered. So with that said I think a few simple mistakes could cost either team. I think Appo can recover better if our mistake happena. I also seen that SD is big up front but the Raiders back hit the whole so fast up the gut they will be at the second level before they can stand up then it's a few jukes and after burners cutting on.....

#SmithStrong #Focus #PO1Forever
#FearTheVeer
Agreed ! To much speed !

What SD needs to do:

Punt out of bounds and pooch or squib kick every kickoff.
Stop or at least limit the damage on that quick off tackle handoff. Spy on the RB.
Long clock burning drives on every down.
Score late in the 4th quarter for the upset.

My prediction: 35-28 Appo

What SD needs to do:

Punt out of bounds and pooch or squib kick every kickoff.
Stop or at least limit the damage on that quick off tackle handoff. Spy on the RB.
Long clock burning drives on every down.
Score late in the 4th quarter for the upset.

My prediction: 35-28 Appo
What’s your thoughts on folks outside the fence. Seems like it would suck to deter folks from being outside the stadium only to find out it fills up with local folks.

The NFHS contracts out the installation of the cameras. The school only has to provide an electrical outlet, internet connection and place to mount the computer. The installer does everything from running the cables, hooking up the scoreboard connection, mounting the camera, etc...

Each camera has to be calibrated for the sport (difference between even volleyball vs basketball in same gym), lighting, field type, motion detection sensitivity, etc...

Let's just say that some installers are better than others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT