ADVERTISEMENT

STATE GAMES AT LU

As Hoos said this is HR6's periodic rant and just like all of the times before it is still devoid of any real logic or relevant argument. Outside of playing at the McDonald's in Gretna or next door at LU he will never be happy. If someone tries hard enough they can find something to complain about at virtually any facility that would be a reasonable consideration. On the other hand, if someone truly examines the merits of the possible locations you can find multiple venues around the state that would be suitable depending upon the most relevant/important criteria. There's nothing about the Siegel Center that rules it out as a venue and far more people like it than would agree with HR6's idiotic rant. Most importantly the kids that actually play the game enjoy the venue and for some who will not play past high school it will be the biggest stage they ever perform on. Travel, attendance, accommodations, home field advantage, etc. create so many different factors that someone is always going to have something to complain about but, for the most part Virginia has done a reasonable job over the years of selecting championship venues and adapting to changing demographics to meet the needs of member schools. IMO the dead horse picture above really was appropriate for the topic as it has morphed from a discussion of home field advantage at LU to another bash on venues that have served prior championships well.

I agree with states in Lynchburg but LCA should not be able to play on their homefield if they make it to STATE, don't think they will anyway
I agree with states in Lynchburg but LCA should not be able to play on their homefield if they make it to STATE, don't think they will anyway

You hit key word with "if". Think people giving LCA to much credit. They'll be able to compete each year. But don't think they'll be able to knock off the salem, Sherando, amherst, GW when those schools are at there best. People like to point at the LCA amherst games but those years favored LCA with amherst being really down.

Reactions: wikki

How would it even be possible for the VHSL to manage changing the site of the state championship game in less than one week just because LCA won a semifinal game?

How would it even be possible for the VHSL to manage changing the site of the state championship game in less than one week just because LCA won a semifinal game?

That's the VHSL's cross to bear for opening this can of worms.

Richmond is bad because the venues there are not easily reachable once one arrives in the city. parking sucks, no matter where you go in the city. Hard to find a good eating place near venues. Sure one can eat at concession stands, but they are that good and very expensive for what you get. No hotels within walking distance of venues. (Richmond isn't a city I'd walk on street for anything)

The Siegel is insanely easy to access once one arrives in the city. IT'S ON BROAD STREET.

Parking isn't fantastic, but for me, that's always just meant driving to a higher level of the parking deck immediately adjacent to the Siegel Center. I've never been there when the decks are completely full & I've been to a few of the state title games since they moved there. Where have you been trying to park?

NO GOOD PLACES TO EAT, ARE YOU COMPLETELY INSANE? Comfort is one of the best places ON EARTH to get a meal & it's a short stroll down the street. If anything, food is the thing Richmond has going for it the most. SO MANY GOOD RESTAURANTS ALL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE.

I get you with the hotel thing, but it's not like people are flying from out of state to see these games by & large. People drive to the event. They can drive to their hotels. Not saying it wouldn't be ideal to have adjacent hotels, but it's a pretty weak reason why Richmond is a terrible venue.

We didn't even address the non-VCU option of University of Richmond's arena. Richmond is a fine place to stage championships. Literally all of your thoughts against Richmond are easily disputed with facts. Sorry you hate Richmond, but that's all your opinion seems to be based on - irrational hate.

I'm sorry folks. I'm from NY. You want to deal with parking or access issues, try going to MSG or Yankee Stadium. What a bunch of babies. You have no clue as to how easy you have it in VA.

The Siegel is insanely easy to access once one arrives in the city. IT'S ON BROAD STREET.
Right next to I95 and 64.
NO GOOD PLACES TO EAT, ARE YOU COMPLETELY INSANE? Comfort is one of the best places ON EARTH to get a meal & it's a short stroll down the street. If anything, food is the thing Richmond has going for it the most. SO MANY GOOD RESTAURANTS ALL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE.
I can name six good restaurants within two blocks of Siegel: Bodillaz, Qdoba, Extreme Pizza, Jamaica House, Mama's Kitchen, Village Cafe. I heard Christian's Pizza (mostly in Charlottesville) just expanded to Richmond and is three blocks away.

Last edited:
I am a cheap. When GW plays at the Siegal Center or I watch the Redskins practice, I park on the other side of Monument AVE. The closer to Robinson, the easier it is to park. I did park too far away in March for the GW Norcom 10 am game. Could have parked alot closer. You just have to check the signs.

I'm sorry folks. I'm from NY. You want to deal with parking or access issues, try going to MSG or Yankee Stadium. What a bunch of babies. You have no clue as to how easy you have it in VA.
Getting to Yankee Stadium Or Citifield is a piece of cake. I ride the subway from midtown.

Although I'm strongly opposed to allowing private schools in I don't see LCA playing at home as a big deal. Just say that, if they get to the championship game, LCA, has to be considered the visiting team so that their surroundings aren't as familiar. Forcing them to change the site means that the visiting team gets cheated out of the opportunity in a college stadium. Believe me, most kids find that exciting.

Rational discussion about the VHSL is not possible for me on these boards.

Yet, my hope springs eternal.

Why did you quote me when saying that? I thought I was having a rational discussion. The VHSL can't choose a VHSL member school's home field as its "neutral site" for that school's classification state title game. This seems like common sense.

Reactions: wikki
Rod, I'll try to make a sane comment about the VHSL, but I apologize that it will probably start the ranting again.

The VHSL did nothing to invite the LCA suit. So that is not their fault.

The VHSL is not the bottomless pit of money that the LU organization is.

The VHSL made a wise decision not to spend untold millions fighting a suit that precedent already showed that THEY COULD NOT WIN.

The VHSL made the only decision that was possible and has the best plan possible in place to manage the inclusion of private schools.

These are not opinions. These are unarguable facts.

So, instead of anyone criticizing the VHSL for this, focus your disgust on LCA. THEY are what got us to this point.

Blaming the VHSL for this is like blaming the USA for WW II.

And Hoos, the VCU lifestyle is as about as far removed from who I am as the North Pole is from the South Pole. But if I was 21 again, I would be a regular on the campus. I'm sure I could get used to girls with purple hair and tattoos.

So, instead of anyone criticizing the VHSL for this, focus your disgust on LCA. THEY are what got us to this point.

Blaming the VHSL for this is like blaming the USA for WW II.

I guess I'm not really trying to "blame" the VHSL. That said, they have to deal with reality. They have a state championship site at a member school's home field. That's not fair & it should be changed ASAP.

You may have a point. And I guess it is unprecedented. Are there any other VHSL state championship activities held at a member schools venues?

You may have a point. And I guess it is unprecedented. Are there any other VHSL state championship activities held at a member schools venues?

OF COURSE!

Almost every spring sport is held at someone's home field. Westfield High School has been the state host for a number of baseball and softball title games of late.

Just this year....
Gymnastics was held at Patriot.
Indoor track was at the Boo Williams Complex, home for the Hampton schools.
Wrestling, Soccer and Softball at Robinson.
Lacrosse at Lake Braddock.
Outdoor track at both Harrisonburg High School and Newport News' Todd Stadium.

Why did you quote me when saying that? I thought I was having a rational discussion. The VHSL can't choose a VHSL member school's home field as its "neutral site" for that school's classification state title game. This seems like common sense.

That was not the course of the conversation.

I asked for a solution on what the VHSL should do within a week's timeframe to shift the state championship game from those who have a problem with it.

Your response was "That's the VHSL's cross to bear" which, in no way, shape or form, is a solution to what you seem to think is a major problem.

The amount of time, energy, planning and negotiating that goes into getting these games scheduled is not something that can be shifted easily, nor should it even be a concern.

Like Phantom noted, just have them shift to the visitor's locker room and side, that's enough of a change.

It's no big deal, you have your thoughts and I have mine, they do not coincide, nor will they.

Going back to my cave now.

It's real simple LU is in the Vhsl now, nothing can be done. The richest team in the State gets to host the Championships to help make them richer. which team will serve the first beat down ? On there home field. Lol

Man let LCA play at home. What's the big deal? There was no uproar other than from me when the VHSL made the home team "LT" use the visitors sideline to accommodate the Salem fans during this past years state finals so why get all bent out of shape over this? It was a whole bunch of quit whining and the side doesn't determine the game, so quit whining playing for a state title against LCA at Liberty shouldn't be that hard. And once again you guys are giving LCA too much credit they aren't going to make noise in the West for a couple of years imho, but maybe some of you don't have faith in your teams and are conceding the war before the first battle.
oyjb1pd.gif

Last edited:
Right next to I95 and 64.I can name six good restaurants within two blocks of Siegel: Bodillaz, Qdoba, Extreme Pizza, Jamaica House, Mama's Kitchen, Village Cafe. I heard Christian's Pizza (mostly in Charlottesville) just expanded to Richmond and is three blocks away.
You forgot Edos, Baja and Heritage

Right next to I95 and 64.I can name six good restaurants within two blocks of Siegel: Bodillaz, Qdoba, Extreme Pizza, Jamaica House, Mama's Kitchen, Village Cafe. I heard Christian's Pizza (mostly in Charlottesville) just expanded to Richmond and is three blocks away.
As an 804 native all of these places are great food joints I am a big fan of the Village Cafe which I have seen a couple of times on Food Network getting recognition.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Thanks, Rod. Figured as much, but I didn't no the history. It really makes the argument against leaving the 4a game where it is a moot point. It may not make anybody happy, but it is not like it is precedent setting.

When will you publish your first pre-season rankings?

It wouldn't be possible but the point is now that LCA is part of the VHSL, maybe changes would have to be made. Would you schedule a 4A state championship to be played at Salem with Salem being a possible contender?

You hit key word with "if". Think people giving LCA to much credit. They'll be able to compete each year. But don't think they'll be able to knock off the salem, Sherando, amherst, GW when those schools are at there best. People like to point at the LCA amherst games but those years favored LCA with amherst being really down.
I think you are correct. I talked with some Brookville and JF fans this week and some Amherst fans tonight and they will have it tougher than they ever have and I agree

It wouldn't be possible but the point is now that LCA is part of the VHSL, maybe changes would have to be made. Would you schedule a 4A state championship to be played at Salem with Salem being a possible contender?

Would I? Without a moment's hesitation.

However, I believe that homefield advantage is statistically insignificant and, if you can't beat LCA at Liberty, you don't deserve the state title.

How come you are fully okay with state semifinal games being played at home stadiums?

Would I? Without a moment's hesitation.

However, I believe that homefield advantage is statistically insignificant and, if you can't beat LCA at Liberty, you don't deserve the state title.

How come you are fully okay with state semifinal games being played at home stadiums?
Didn't say it was okay, just stating what I think and merely asking a question is all. I believe the VHSL scheduled the state games that way for a reason. I guess LCA will eventually have their way with everything

Didn't say it was okay, just stating what I think and merely asking a question is all. I believe the VHSL scheduled the state games that way for a reason. I guess LCA will eventually have their way with everything

I guess I made the assumption that you were okay with home state semifinal games since, to the best of my knowledge, none of your 6,000 posts had addressed with issue while you've mentioned LCA playing at home at least 4-5 times in your last 20 musings.

Seemed logical. I don't know.

Seriously, back to my cave now. Best of luck to your and yours.

And Hoos, the VCU lifestyle is as about as far removed from who I am as the North Pole is from the South Pole. But if I was 21 again, I would be a regular on the campus. I'm sure I could get used to girls with purple hair and tattoos.
LOL, VCU has every type of person, I loved the diversity when I attended. But yes, those Art students love to stand out.

LOL, VCU has every type of person, I loved the diversity when I attended. But yes, those Art students love to stand out.

Did you know that Richmond VA is the most tattooed city in The United States? I've seen about six kids that make up about 90% of that! You have to wonder what body parts ARE NOT inked?

Hey, to each his own.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Did you ever make my soup?

No, not yet. No reason other than just haven't gotten around to doing it. Work all day, most weeks 6 to 7 days, then work in the garden, cut grass, etc. My wife too. There is NEVER enough time for anything.

But we will and I'll let you know. Thanks.

I think way too much is being made of "home field advantage" particularly a facility with turf as opposed to natural grass. Yes there is a slight advantage for playing at home which mainly comes from sleeping in your own bed and maintaining a routine you have employed throughout the season while the opponent hits the road, however, some might argue there are other distractions associated with playing at home. I wouldn't object if it was a game in Salem or Lynchburg with Salem or LCA being a contender or any other locale with a local contender. Phantom makes an excellent point, you can alter that routine easily by switching locker rooms and sidelines, if somebody sees that routine as a significant advantage. I do not. It should also be noted that in former times state championship games have been played at home fields with the sites alternating between regions each year.

More important than location of game, in my opinion, is the method for assigning crews to officiate the game. A local crew should never be assigned to a venue/game where there is also a local team playing and the VHSL should have procedures in place to bring a crew from out of the area with no regular ties to either participant. This leads to my next observation. I think the continuity of crews in charge of championship games is important and mixing/matching individuals from different associations is not the most effective method, in my opinion. Officials from the same association that have worked together before provide a familiarity with one another that makes one less adjustment necessary. The crews still have to adjust to the teams and games being played but, they don't have to wonder about the person next to them and adjust to how he/she calls a game.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I think way too much is being made of "home field advantage" particularly a facility with turf as opposed to natural grass. Yes there is a slight advantage for playing at home which mainly comes from sleeping in your own bed and maintaining a routine you have employed throughout the season while the opponent hits the road, however, some might argue there are other distractions associated with playing at home. I wouldn't object if it was a game in Salem or Lynchburg with Salem or LCA being a contender or any other locale with a local contender. Phantom makes an excellent point, you can alter that routine easily by switching locker rooms and sidelines, if somebody sees that routine as a significant advantage. I do not. It should also be noted that in former times state championship games have been played at home fields with the sites alternating between regions each year.

More important than location of game, in my opinion, is the method for assigning crews to officiate the game. A local crew should never be assigned to a venue/game where there is also a local team playing and the VHSL should have procedures in place to bring a crew from out of the area with no regular ties to either participant. This leads to my next observation. I think the continuity of crews in charge of championship games is important and mixing/matching individuals from different associations is not the most effective method, in my opinion. Officials from the same association that have worked together before provide a familiarity with one another that makes one less adjustment necessary. The crews still have to adjust to the teams and games being played but, they don't have to wonder about the person next to them and adjust to how he/she calls a game.
1399263510328.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT