ADVERTISEMENT

State Semifinal, Riverheads @ Essex

Is that the kid called "big nasty"?

I've seen several highlights of big Essex games last year and this and he couldn't be more of a non factor.
Not sure what they call him , but I will tell you he could tie up the Riverheads o line for the Essex linebackers to make plays.

This kid is named AJ Crabbe. His brother was an all state defensive lineman on the 09 Essex title team. Sadly, he was tragically killed last year. His brother currently wears his number in memory of him.

Reactions: trutiger16
If any high school team had to 400lb kids in back to back years that would be cra cra...
Actually they had both on the same team last year, but Crabbe left the team. I think dealing with the death of his brother a week before the first game was too much. But he's had a great year this year. Essex also has a couple of other linemen who both are around 270 and can move as well.

This kid played with a ton of passion and drive last week versus Sussex, he is surely playing with purpose!

Reactions: kwhs95fan
#24 will serve Essex better on the d line than rb, Riversheads matches up better with the big back, plus #24 weakness is at times he wants to go east and west instead of down hill, If #27 and #4 can go those 2 at rb would be more effective at stretching the defense east and west, then sprinkle in #24 inside.

Question about Riverheads chain crew . At the end of the Vista game they announced the Riverheads chain crew won 4th place in some type of competition . Due to crowd noise I did not hear all the info . What kind of contest were they in and who won 1st place ?

Big nasty graduated last year. He was 6’3” 348lbs. Crabbe left the team after game 4 last year. Last year he was 6’1” and about 448lbs. He trimmed down over the off season to 408lbs. Last year before Crabbe left, that D line was at any given time...So. Dameron 6’2” 245lbs., Sr. Holmes 6’1” 348lbs., So. Crabbe 6’3” 448., and So. Jones 6’3” 270lbs (give or take 5 on the pounds for the 4 ). Holmes graduated and Jones transferred to nationally ranked (Pre-Season) Bishop Sullivan in the VA Beach area to play his junior year. He was a starter on their D line until he suffered a season ending knee injury.

Reactions: trutiger16
Riverheads was such improved last year versus 2015. Very strong and very fast, especially on D. Everyone keeps saying g they are down this year, did they loose a lot or is people just assuming this because they have lost a couple games?

Big nasty graduated last year. He was 6’3” 348lbs. Crabbe left the team after game 4 last year. Last year he was 6’1” and about 448lbs. He trimmed down over the off season to 408lbs. Last year before Crabbe left, that D line was at any given time...So. Dameron 6’2” 245lbs., Sr. Holmes 6’1” 348lbs., So. Crabbe 6’3” 448., and So. Jones 6’3” 270lbs (give or take 5 on the pounds for the 4 ). Holmes graduated and Jones transferred to nationally ranked (Pre-Season) Bishop Sullivan in the VA Beach area to play his junior year. He was a starter on their D line until he suffered a season ending knee injury.
That’s the bunch that will get you Salem ! You will need athletic big body’s up front

Riverheads was such improved last year versus 2015. Very strong and very fast, especially on D. Everyone keeps saying g they are down this year, did they loose a lot or is people just assuming this because they have lost a couple games?
I don’t think they are down , the offensive line is just as good as last season, they have a 4 Rb rotation, that will wear you down, nothing complicated about wing t football they just run it until you break.

I’m guessing some are meaning they are down compared to Last years Riverheads team. But the rest of use know they are still a dangerous team. Down but playing in the state semi final. That tells you all you need to know.

They are down this year, but they are better in some positions on the field this year than last and weaker in others. They will play fundamental football and limit mistakes just Like all teams do that are coached by Coach Casto.

Riverheads lost some standout players to graduation. They are still a good, fundamental team but lack the standouts from last year. I think they were easily the best 1A team last year. This year I'm not so sure.

Reactions: obguthr
RH had some good players last year but one kinda stood out, maybe he wore a # in the 80's but I can't remember for sure

Harrison Schaffer and Ridge Stokes were the two standouts I recall but the offensive was one of the best in Riverheads history.

Essex injuries will greatly affect this game, Riverheads should be fresh considering they were not challenged at all in the playoffs , to have a chance Essex must be leading or close in the 4th quarter and see how the young Gladiators respond. I have 2 sets of scores. In a Essex win I say 28 -24 , Riverheads win 35 -14. I’m picking Riverheads to advance to Salem.

I think you are trying not to troll here, so have to give you a break on the not challenged. But the next statement probably applies to every team left in state, have to be leading or close in 4th. Well I would guess if a team isn't close, they don't have a chance :)

Harrison Schaffer and Ridge Stokes were the two standouts I recall but the offensive was one of the best in Riverheads history.
Schaefer was a huge difference maker at this level. You just can't replace a player like him. Casto has done a remarkable job getting the most out of the players he has to work with this year. To their credit , those players have really stepped up.

Hopefully it is a good game, no injuries, and no message board rumors or fodder after the game. In fact, aside from message board talk for 2 of Riverheads biggest games, there was like 3 newspaper posts in one week. Hopefully we don't have a situation like that again. And to Essex, let's hope there isn't any posts about the playing situation and conditions, especially since it away for them as well.

What is funny is I spoke with a friend of mine who is rather new to football and such (has a cheerleader), and when I told them that it wouldn't be at Essex, the response was, well then it should be at Riverheads lol Not saying it is a Riverheads thing, as every area would have that, and not a cheerleader thing, just was funny.

I heard it last year about Stuarts Draft and hosting, and I feel the same way as then. I have never been to Essex, but it is a shame that they cannot host at their field. They are further away than most of either teams games on the road this year. I feel bad for them, and hope that they can get the situation resolved in the coming years

Question about Riverheads chain crew . At the end of the Vista game they announced the Riverheads chain crew won 4th place in some type of competition . Due to crowd noise I did not hear all the info . What kind of contest were they in and who won 1st place ?

X Cross: Do we REALLY need this distraction now? Especially since you know exactly what that was all about.

Hopefully it is a good game, no injuries, and no message board rumors or fodder after the game. In fact, aside from message board talk for 2 of Riverheads biggest games, there was like 3 newspaper posts in one week. Hopefully we don't have a situation like that again. And to Essex, let's hope there isn't any posts about the playing situation and conditions, especially since it away for them as well.

What is funny is I spoke with a friend of mine who is rather new to football and such (has a cheerleader), and when I told them that it wouldn't be at Essex, the response was, well then it should be at Riverheads lol Not saying it is a Riverheads thing, as every area would have that, and not a cheerleader thing, just was funny.

I heard it last year about Stuarts Draft and hosting, and I feel the same way as then. I have never been to Essex, but it is a shame that they cannot host at their field. They are further away than most of either teams games on the road this year. I feel bad for them, and hope that they can get the situation resolved in the coming years
It really is a shame. But to me and from what I see when I go to their games, it is not the football program thats the problem. They seem to have little booster support, as do many in this area, and probably the biggest issue is the community and fan support is atrocious for such a succesful program. And thats where the money is. They should be getting major gates for their football games and it just doesnt happen. Its like the community does not realize how good of a program they have.

I think you are trying not to troll here, so have to give you a break on the not challenged. But the next statement probably applies to every team left in state, have to be leading or close in 4th. Well I would guess if a team isn't close, they don't have a chance :)
Are you provoking me ? Your approval nor your opinion is needed for me to post, please not today.

I'm not sure what the VHSL standard is. Hopefully, someone in the know can enlighten us. Regardless, it probably won't take a huge investment to get this done. Come on Essex.

Essex lost a lot of its community support due to the antics of its 2012 team. Lot of folks abandoned the program and have not returned. Maybe Jones can get that turned around too cause there were plenty of Essex fans at games during his previous stint there.

This confuses me. Do you mean they stopped supporting a Fulks-led Essex team or do the community members who used to support the team really hold that grudge against kids who are long-gone by now?

Not sure what they call him , but I will tell you he could tie up the Riverheads o line for the Essex linebackers to make plays.
Riverheads has so much misdirection the ball is hard to find,lots of times when you find it,it's gone.

This confuses me. Do you mean they stopped supporting a Fulks-led Essex team or do the community members who used to support the team really hold that grudge against kids who are long-gone by now?

Sounds like it's not a Fulks issue, just an Essex issue.

Yes really. Not saying they were bad calls. I’m just saying the overall conduct of Essex over 14 games is not what they showed today. Just like when people talk negative about your team and your District due to past events, I personally don’t hold that past against Sussex or any other team we’ve played there. For one, I have not seen any of it when we’ve played.

Last edited:
Essex Trojan1 I agree with you but everyone that seen them play today for first time doesn’t see it that way. Like they say you never know who might watching, you might a college coach in stands watching someone to recruit and that player act foolish that day and could be the greatest kid in the world but that’s what that coach will remember

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
One bad penalized game out of 14 is not anEssex issue.
Today may have been a Riverheads issue. They have a way of getting in your heads. I saw it in last year's championship. It happens against really talented teams especially. When your used to dominating defensively and suddenly someone starts making you miss, you lose confidence and get frustrated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT