ADVERTISEMENT

State Semifinal, Riverheads @ Essex

@Baseball215. I can agree with that. I’m just saying to those who are quick to equate this team to those in 2012 or 13, they are far from those teams. Good luck to Riverheads and Chilhowie next week. I’ll be watching it online.

Last edited:
Today may have been a Riverheads issue. They have a way of getting in your heads. I saw it in last year's championship. It happens against really talented teams especially. When your used to dominating defensively and suddenly someone starts making you miss, you lose confidence and get frustrated.
I think Essex defense did pretty good against Riverheads offense (minus the penalties). We just couldn’t get anything going on offense to help the defense. The momentum changed right before the half with less than a minute remaining. That int and 2 personals that put Riverheads in position to score was huge. Good luck to the Red Team next week.

Reactions: Bama1985
I think Essex defense did pretty good against Riverheads offense (minus the penalties). We just couldn’t get anything going on offense to help the defense. The momentum changed right before the half with less than a minute remaining. That int and 2 personals that put Riverheads in position to score was huge. Good luck to the Red Team next week.
well said Essex defense was big and fast, if 24 could have had some help on offense and limited the flags, Essex would have won the game, I know 24 is back for next year who else is coming back

well said Essex defense was big and fast, if 24 could have had some help on offense and limited the flags, Essex would have won the game, I know 24 is back for next year who else is coming back
You have to give the coaching staff at Riverheads their due,they may be the best in the state at any level.

The 3-4 players who walked off the field and not shaking hands with the Riverheads team was the most embarrassing part from my view. Gotta win/lose with dignity!

One player #53, (Syncere Gray according to roster from game) was the only player by the line of scrimmage as RH was taking a knee on the very last play. He was also the only one to shake hands with several of the RH players on the field after the last knee was taken before line was formed. He was then the first player in line also. A class act young man after a hard fought game. Good luck going forward.

I had crossed over to the Essex side to watch the final few minutes, just so I could beat the crowd. When the game ended, # 78 immediately started walking off all by himself to the locker room as opposed to staying for the handshakes. There were two ladies that I presumed to be Essex teachers who were screaming at him from the hill to go and shake hands. He could not have heard them of course but the point was that they at least knew the importance of sportsmanship. One of them said to the other "If he is not in in-school suspension on Monday, I am through," whatever that statement might mean.

Essex will be graduating 16. Of that 16, around 7 are either All-NND, All Region A or both. We have a good group of 10th and 11th graders coming back who were starters or got plenty of playing time. Some of the top names are RB #24 Dameron, QB # 10 Ashlock, DL/OL #78 Crabbe, RB/DB #22 Harris, DL #33 Holmes, OL/DL #52 Ellis, K #9 Villeda, QB/WR #12 Jones, WR/DB #2 Banks, RB/DB #7 Day. Also the jv team went undefeated this year. I don’t know who are the stars on jv because I was not able to make any of the games this year. Essex should be able to be in the mix again next year. Time will tell.

Most of those you just mentioned were in on the action quite a bit, so I would say that yes, they will be right back in the mix again next year. But so will Riverheads, as I believe they only graduate about 8 and their JV program has been solid for a very long time. One of the top running backs this year for the varsity was only a freshman, although he did not factor in very much yesterday and they had a sensational eighth-grader on the JV team this year. Looking even further down the road than that, there is a 7th grader coming along that is projected to hit 300 pounds or more that can really move for his size.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT