ADVERTISEMENT

Sussex vs. The Bully of 1A

Nov 29, 2012
Do these young Tigers stand a chance? Guy from my hometown called Riverheads the "Red Machine" lol. Is it possible for this machine to have a malfunction(please lol)? In the voice of Mickey in Rocky Balboa...he is a wrecking machine! Can Sussex become the modern day Rocky for 1A???

Do these young Tigers stand a chance? Guy from my hometown called Riverheads the "Red Machine" lol. Is it possible for this machine to have a malfunction(please lol)? In the voice of Mickey in Rocky Balboa...he is a wrecking machine! Can Sussex become the modern day Rocky for 1A???
Offensively this is probably the best Riverheads team I have ever seen. Unless Sussex can match scores they dont have a chance. Most games in the past Riverheads has been outmatched by size and speed. Not this year, one of the biggest and most talented teams I have seen over the past 20 years, and theyre young so that bodes well for the future. Its going to take one heck of a team to knock them off. Sorry Sussex maybe next year.

Offensively this is probably the best Riverheads team I have ever seen. Unless Sussex can match scores they dont have a chance. Most games in the past Riverheads has been outmatched by size and speed. Not this year, one of the biggest and most talented teams I have seen over the past 20 years, and theyre young so that bodes well for the future. Its going to take one heck of a team to knock them off. Sorry Sussex maybe next year.
Dang..well do Sussex have a chance to keep it close? Maybe take some momentum into next year? I know it is no such thing as a moral victory but Im reaching lol.

Offensively this team is pretty dang good and the most diverse that I have seen as well. Defensively, I am not down playing their ability but there are some areas that are able to be attacked. I am not sure if this Sussex team can do that as I have not witnessed them play. As I said in the other thread, it will take a good team to beat them but it is possible. I will also say that for years we have heard that a athletic passing team could beat the slow Riverheads teams and that may have been true. I don't think there are many teams in 1A that will be able to consistently pass on this team and there is a smidge of speed on this team also. To Tiger...Nation, I actually think it will be close for a good while unless Sussex tries to play outside of their self. I don't see a huge blowout and if its close any thing can happen.

My Tigers must slow down the game , limit turnovers , get this game in the 4th quarter and we will have a shot! Riverheads starters have not played a full game in decades, My Tigers need to make this a old fashion street fight, I would like to see how Riverheads respond mentally and physically, how good is there conditioning? If and I say if we can do all of the above , meaning fighting hard as hell for 3 quarters and let our speed and athleticism take over in the 4th we will have a chance . I’m rolling with my Tigers 24- 21.

Last edited:
Reactions: TIGER...NATION
Offensively this team is pretty dang good and the most diverse that I have seen as well. Defensively, I am not down playing their ability but there are some areas that are able to be attacked. I am not sure if this Sussex team can do that as I have not witnessed them play. As I said in the other thread, it will take a good team to beat them but it is possible. I will also say that for years we have heard that a athletic passing team could beat the slow Riverheads teams and that may have been true. I don't think there are many teams in 1A that will be able to consistently pass on this team and there is a smidge of speed on this team also. To Tiger...Nation, I actually think it will be close for a good while unless Sussex tries to play outside of their self. I don't see a huge blowout and if its close any thing can happen.
Huge Blowout huh !

No huge blowout projected by me, not sure it reads that way but that was what was meant. As for playing a full four quarters, this team needed to do just that against Glenvar to name one from this year. And I am not sure who said that the Tigers feared anyone. They have every reason not to fear anyone. They have won their games to get here and will represent as always. You absolutely have it right about slowing the game down and limiting turnovers but that goes for the Gladiators as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tie or one score game at the half. Teams don't make it to this weekend without being good, quit looking for bulletin board material @trutiger16, lol.

How does this years Sussex team stack up to the Sussex team of 2016 ?
I will say this team is very resilient, they are ok with 3 yds here & there, they are not dependent on having to make a big play every time, they have grit, they seem to take care of the ball and not turn it over, as I stated back in the preseason the offensive line had to be the motor of this team , the combination of Gray, Gibbons, and Chambliss has been lethal up front, especially since the last 4 games, Gibbons was monster up front versus Altavista, Sussex Coaching staff is also very strong, Sussex this year maybe better equipped overall because of there lunch pail On Duty Attitude. This bunch will not be intimidated, bullied, or quit fighting there guts out when things don’t go as planed, they will compete.

I hope you are right about it being close and that anything can happen. From I have read..Riverheads normally put teams away by the first half some by the first quarter

My Tigers must slow down the game , limit turnovers , get this game in the 4th quarter and we will have a shot! Riverheads starters have not played a full game in decades, My Tigers need to make this a old fashion street fight, I would like to see how Riverheads respond mentally and physically, how good is there conditioning? If and I say if we can do all of the above , meaning fighting hard as hell for 3 quarters and let our speed and athleticism take over in the 4th we will have a chance . I’m rolling with my Tigers 24- 21.
Hope you are right

No huge blowout projected by me, not sure it reads that way but that was what was meant. As for playing a full four quarters, this team needed to do just that against Glenvar to name one from this year. And I am not sure who said that the Tigers feared anyone. They have every reason not to fear anyone. They have won their games to get here and will represent as always. You absolutely have it right about slowing the game down and limiting turnovers but that goes for the Gladiators as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tie or one score game at the half. Teams don't make it to this weekend without being good, quit looking for bulletin board material @trutiger16, lol.
Clock management will definitely be huge as well as four quarters of execution. Dang Im excited lol

I will say this team is very resilient, they are ok with 3 yds here & there, they are not dependent on having to make a big play every time, they have grit, they seem to take care of the ball and not turn it over, as I stated back in the preseason the offensive line had to be the motor of this team , the combination of Gray, Gibbons, and Chambliss has been lethal up front, especially since the last 4 games, Gibbons was monster up front versus Altavista, Sussex Coaching staff is also very strong, Sussex this year maybe better equipped overall because of there lunch pail On Duty Attitude. This bunch will not be intimidated, bullied, or quit fighting there guts out when things don’t go as planed, they will compete.
That sounds like old school Sussex football!

Love the enthusiasm from Sussex!!! You are dealing with a different monster in Riverheads, they are a machine. Nothing fancy but you cannot stop it. Riverheads 56 Sussex 7

Reactions: MGF
How does this years Sussex team stack up to the Sussex team of 2016 ?
IMO that's a tough one. That 2016 team was undefeated until the State game I believe. They had two stud lb's, an all state defensive tackle, a senior experienced QB. Some may argue that if stayed injury free it wouldve been a better State game..not saying the outcome wouldve been different. This year's team is young but has progressed each and every week. They are smaller than the 2016 team but they don't quit. The games that I have seen..these players were determined not to be 2-8 like last yr.

Love the enthusiasm from Sussex!!! You are dealing with a different monster in Riverheads, they are a machine. Nothing fancy but you cannot stop it. Riverheads 56 Sussex 7
Honestly after an 2-8 season last yr..the community has to be excited! You cannot stop it? That is interesting..but they are on a 3 peat so I guess you have a solid point

Bigger than the 2006 team?

I would say the OL is not the biggest ever, but they are strong enough to make a hole. That’s all our backs need. Assignment specific is a staple. DYJ, or get replaced. And, the JV squad is bigger. They would have won the first 2 playoff games

Thanks I think this years Riverheads team is on same level as 2016 so should be a very good match up. I think we do throw the ball better this year.

Reactions: TIGER...NATION

We welcome a challenge,
Have you seen Sussex play this year? Not trying to dispute your OPINION..just want to know why
He has been anti- Sussex all year , he was a former player from King William in the 90s who was abused by the Tigers , don’t pay him any attention it’s personal with him lol

Reactions: st8chmpLB
We welcome a challenge,

He has been anti- Sussex all year , he was a former player from King William in the 90s who was abused by the Tigers , don’t pay him any attention it’s personal with him lol
Lol, I will be pulling for Sussex, imo they are going to have a tough time pulling the upset.

@trutiger16, how many Tiger fans would you expect to travel to the game? Just curious as we haven’t seen the normal Gladiator crowd in the first two rounds. Temperatures may have been a factor but it has been an odd year in that regard.

Reactions: 44kennedy
@trutiger16, how many Tiger fans would you expect to travel to the game? Just curious as we haven’t seen the normal Gladiator crowd in the first two rounds. Temperatures may have been a factor but it has been an odd year in that regard.

RedprideNation, interesting about the lower than normal attendance for a Gladiator crowd in these playoffs.

I would guess that Riverheads maybe will eventually become a victim of their own success. How dull the games must be when you know your team will win by 50 plus points a week before the game even starts (and that’s pulling the starters way early lol).

Heck, some on here knew that the Red Machine would roll and this would happen a few years ago and they seem to be even better than expected.

Anyone who thinks they actually have a shot to beat them this year probably also thinks they will win the multi state lottery when they go to Sheetz or 7-11 each week....

Last edited:
This used to happen to Essex during the glory days. Essex was often up by 40 or 50 most games by halftime.

We used to ask folks why don’t you come to all the games when Essex is so good?

Many people would say why should I waste my money when I know it will be over by the 2nd quarter. I’ll go do something else fun and will come to the next game that may be exciting....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT