ADVERTISEMENT

News T.C. Williams Seeking New Coach with Tryouts Approaching

matthew328826

Publisher of VirginiaPreps.com (Rivals Network)
Staff
Jul 20, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
matthewhatfield.com
T.C. Williams is in search of a new Boys Basketball Coach after Bryan Hill has been surprisingly dismissed a week before tryouts and with the season opener less than a month away.

Read more from Mary Ann Barton of the Old Town Alexandria Patch in the story below...

More on T.C. Williams Boys Basketball Coaching Situation Here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALEXANDRIA, VA — Bryan Hill, the varsity basketball coach for T.C. Williams High School, won't be returning to the school this season, supporters were surprised to find out Tuesday afternoon, one week before tryouts. The news was sent out in a letter to boosters by the school's athletic director.

The first game for the boys varsity basketball team is scheduled for Nov. 29, according to the T.C. Williams Athletics Web page.

Hill came to the school in 2014 from Ballou High School in Washington, D.C. The T.C. Williams basketball team's overall record last year was 10-8, according to The Washington Post.

Some parents are very unhappy with the decision to oust the basketball coach and say that a school board member whose sons are in the program is responsible for the ouster.

"No reason has been provided and when asked, the principal said he will not discuss personnel issues," a concerned parent wrote to Patch Wednesday. "Parents and players are very upset. Our kids have been working very hard to prepare for the season. Now the whole season is in doubt."

Some parents are pointing the finger at Bill Campbell, an Alexandria City Public Schools school board member who has two sons trying out for the team next week, as the person responsible for Hill's departure.

"I know there are some parents who think I drove the process, but that's just not true," he said Wednesday afternoon when contacted. Campbell said he had concerns about Hill's coaching style, specifically what he called Hill's use of inappropriate language around students and other coaches and creating a culture of fear at practices. Campbell said he took his concerns to the athletic director. He said other parents also had concerns and that he was "absolutely not" the only basketball team parent with concerns.

"None of that was spoken to me as an issue," Hill said Wednesday.

Hill said he met with the superintendent and athletic director last week and with the school principal and athletic director on Monday. They told him he was being let go because he had given a ride home to Campbell's child when no one could be reached to take the student home. Hill said he thinks he deserved a reprimand but that being let go was an overreaction.

"The kids are distraught," he said. "This stresses the kids out; none of that was taken into consideration."

Get free real-time news alerts from the Old Town Alexandria Patch.
SUBSCRIBE
Hill said Campbell often asked him to add one of his sons to the varsity team. "Early on, he tried to influence me," Hill said.

Hill said he thinks he is being treated unfairly and that the decision was made because Campbell is on the school board. "He's using his influence as a school board member," he said.

A parent whose child has played on the team for two seasons with Hill said he completely disagrees with Campbell.

"My impression of the coach is that the kids respect him," he said.

He also noted that Hill has a strict policy of not handing out waivers, that kids on the team must keep up their grades. The parent said that Campbell had come to him last year to "rally support for his cause" to get rid of the coach but that he disagreed with Campbell and said Campbell's actions now are "an abuse of his authority" as a school board member.

Hill said that before he came to the school, 11 of 13 players had grades that were unacceptable and were on waivers; he stopped that practice.

Another parent whose child has also been on the varsity team said she wants answers. "I am mad, angry, sad, all of it," she said Wednesday. "We are very frustrated. We trust him and now he's fired? For what? We deserve an answer."

A spokeswoman for the school system confirmed Wednesday that Hill won't be returning and said no reason will be given as it "was a personnel matter." The position is not a full-time employee but paid by stipend.

Here's the letter that was sent out Tuesday:

Dear Basketball Boosters and Parents,

I am writing to inform you that a decision has been made by ACPS to release Bryan Hill from his coaching assignment for the 2016-17 men's basketball season. ACPS will be working to find a replacement coach as soon as possible for the upcoming season. This position will be an interim position for the 2016-17 season only. The position will then be re-opened at the end of the season with the goal of finding a permanent basketball coach.
We would like to invite you to a meeting tomorrow evening, Wednesday, November 2 at 6:30 p.m. in the Rotunda on the second floor at T.C. Williams High School to discuss the next steps moving forward.
Thank you for your continued support of T.C. Williams.

Steve Colantuoni
Athletic Director T.C. Williams High School

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT